Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are any of you guys running an FSA bottom bracket in your speed concept? Installed one today and something is clearly not right with the drive side bearing.So the question is do I have it replaced or just go with another brand all together.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with FSA and your speed concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tonyg420 wrote:
I may actually have an extra one of those. Haven’t looked through my spare parts bin lately but I’ll check tomorrow and let you know.

:-)))))

___________ https://www.instagram.com/toothengineer/ https://www.strava.com/dashboard https://slfmotion.com

2019: IMTX, Rookie, 70.3 Worlds, Lifetime Oly
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Mitch my shop cant find this part: I am looking for the draft box part the bolts to frame and the draft box slides into. Online its showing you have to buy the draft box + this part.

Thanks

Hey Toothengineer, did some digging and it shows that part only comes with the box itself.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Hey Mitch,

Is there a recommended grease (if any at all) to use between the frame and bearing race when replacing the headset bearings?

Thanks

You can use a light amount of assembly grease for the headset. The Park Tool High Performance grease works or even our new Bontrager grease!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
Just ordered a HED Jet 6/Disc Plus combo for my 2018 SC. Any thoughts on tires/tubes? I was thinking Conti GP5000 tires, 23 up front, and 23 or 25 on the rear. Theory with the 25 on the rear disc would be to get the benefit of lower pressure/resistance since the air is already less clean back there, and I've heard the GP5000s are "less wide" than older models in terms of ballooning out on the wide rims like the Jet Plus. Think this holds up, or should I just run 23/23?

I'm ignorant here but apparently tubes can make a significant difference. Latext is the fastest, but high maintenance and more prone to burst, is that roughly accurate? I'm 6'3" 180 lbs so not exactly featherweight. Would you go with latex, if so which brand/model, or would you go for a more traditional butyl tube? I also see that they offer a GP5000 TL tubeless which seems to have good reviews on bicyclerollingresistance.com, but it only comes in 25 width.

I spoke to the HED UK dealer about this. They tell me that GP5000TL on HED plus rims works very nicely indeed, though I haven't personally made that jump on my race bike (I will). I have 23mm tires on my Jet+ rims, and the width of the tire closely matches the width of the rim at the brake track, so the transition between tire and rim is smooth. I'd be concerned with 25mm tires that there's too much of a lightbulb profile, which is slow.

Re 'delicate' latex tubes etc, the only problem I ever have is if I forget to check that the tube hasn't been pinched between tire and rim before inflating fully. The 'extra maintenance' is trivial - they do leak faster than butyl, but you're checking tire pressures before each ride anyway, so in practice it's not material.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??

I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??

I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.

Sorry. I meant mid far. I have mid far at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??


I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.


Sorry. I meant mid far. I have mid far at the moment.

In that case, you are already maxed out for the bar reach. The alternative would be to use a Mono Plug-in with extensions cut to your preferred reach.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??


I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.


Sorry. I meant mid far. I have mid far at the moment.

In that case, you are already maxed out for the bar reach. The alternative would be to use a Mono Plug-in with extensions cut to your preferred reach.

You're failing to mention that if he does that he does lose reach because you cannot move the pads as far forward with that setup. I believe it's 1.5 cm of loss in pad movement when you go to the mono plug in.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch. Just to be sure, we're talking about these sets of brackets, right?



Mitch@Trek wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:
Does anyone happen to know if the hardware that attach the extensions to the base bar, as well as the pad brackets can be ordered separately for the Gen 1 9 series? Got part numbers?


Riser bolt kit: 420693 (comes with different length bolts to work with the spacers)
Extension clamp: 423509
Pad brackets: 437029 (replaced 420488)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??


I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.


Sorry. I meant mid far. I have mid far at the moment.


In that case, you are already maxed out for the bar reach. The alternative would be to use a Mono Plug-in with extensions cut to your preferred reach.


Mitch, on another thread someone suggested that if you flip the 'pivot cradle' around, you'll get more reach by slamming the extension out further. I understand this is not by the book but how bad of an idea is it?

And if I do try this, what other things should I be cognizant of?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Thanks Mitch. Just to be sure, we're talking about these sets of brackets, right?



Mitch@Trek wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:
Does anyone happen to know if the hardware that attach the extensions to the base bar, as well as the pad brackets can be ordered separately for the Gen 1 9 series? Got part numbers?


Riser bolt kit: 420693 (comes with different length bolts to work with the spacers)
Extension clamp: 423509
Pad brackets: 437029 (replaced 420488)

So if you are just trying to replace the clamp bolts, just order kit # 420693

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Mitch - hoping you can help

I have a 2018 SC with ergo long bars. I need another 1-1.5 cm. I have a mid low extension. Is there anyway to get more reach??


I would consider changing out the stem for a Mid-Far stem to give you more reach if you are already at the max forward position for your mono extension.


Sorry. I meant mid far. I have mid far at the moment.


In that case, you are already maxed out for the bar reach. The alternative would be to use a Mono Plug-in with extensions cut to your preferred reach.



Mitch, on another thread someone suggested that if you flip the 'pivot cradle' around, you'll get more reach by slamming the extension out further. I understand this is not by the book but how bad of an idea is it?

And if I do try this, what other things should I be cognizant of?

We don't recommend flipping the pivot cradle around as it is only meant to be facing one direction with the set screw at the rear only.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I need the brackets and clamps. I had to drill them both out due to the bolts being seized and eventually snapping off the heads. Thanks.


Mitch@Trek wrote:

Riser bolt kit: 420693 (comes with different length bolts to work with the spacers)
Extension clamp: 423509
Pad brackets: 437029 (replaced 420488)
[/quote]

So if you are just trying to replace the clamp bolts, just order kit # 420693[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
No, I need the brackets and clamps. I had to drill them both out due to the bolts being seized and eventually snapping off the heads. Thanks.


Mitch@Trek wrote:


Riser bolt kit: 420693 (comes with different length bolts to work with the spacers)
Extension clamp: 423509
Pad brackets: 437029 (replaced 420488)


So if you are just trying to replace the clamp bolts, just order kit # 420693[/quote][/quote]
Thank you for clarifying. You'll want # 423509 and 420492 then. Stop into your local Trek dealer and they'll be able to order them in along with any other SC part!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have a 2016 Speed Concept that came with Shimano Ultegra cranksets. If I am to install Sram Force 1 or 22, what do I need to make it fit?

Thank you,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mounted my Aerojacket cover the other day, and it's rubbing in the biggest gear (28t) a bit (just tested on the trainer to check for clearance). I tried taping it from the inside (right where the drive side spokes cross), but it looked like the tape was warping the cover a bit, but that forced one side of the cover away from the spokes and then the tape didn't seem like it was going to last very long. Do I just need to use more tape? I put it back together without tape and was just going to get a cassette that was 30 or 32t, but my quick google-fu says the eTap derailleur only works up to 28t.

Going to attempt my first ride outside in like 5 months so I can see how significant the rubbing is. Might not even be worth messing with. But if there's something simple/stupid I'm missing/doing wrong that would also be nice to know! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. It’s going to rub. Mine does. I don’t plan to spend that much time in that gear. I tape the rim side, not at hub. Thought about putting lube on the jacket where it rubs.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
etap of any version will support 11-30
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jdzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdzz wrote:
Hi, I have a 2016 Speed Concept that came with Shimano Ultegra cranksets. If I am to install Sram Force 1 or 22, what do I need to make it fit?

Thank you,

Are you looking to change to a complete group including the crankset? If so, you'll need a SRAM GXP BB90 bottom bracket to replace the Shimano BB90 bottom bracket that is currently installed.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was thinking time spent in that gear will hopefully be minimal... plus the chain would be spinning with the wheel so the rub could be minimal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response. I want to go 1x with Sram direct mount crank. Is the kit below is what I what I need for it?
https://www.quarq.com/...bracket-bearing-kit/

Thank you

Mitch@Trek wrote:
jdzz wrote:
Hi, I have a 2016 Speed Concept that came with Shimano Ultegra cranksets. If I am to install Sram Force 1 or 22, what do I need to make it fit?
Thank you,


Are you looking to change to a complete group including the crankset? If so, you'll need a SRAM GXP BB90 bottom bracket to replace the Shimano BB90 bottom bracket that is currently installed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jdzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdzz wrote:
Thank you for the response. I want to go 1x with Sram direct mount crank. Is the kit below is what I what I need for it?
https://www.quarq.com/...bracket-bearing-kit/

Thank you

Mitch@Trek wrote:
jdzz wrote:
Hi, I have a 2016 Speed Concept that came with Shimano Ultegra cranksets. If I am to install Sram Force 1 or 22, what do I need to make it fit?
Thank you,


Are you looking to change to a complete group including the crankset? If so, you'll need a SRAM GXP BB90 bottom bracket to replace the Shimano BB90 bottom bracket that is currently installed.

That would be the one!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What pads are you using there?
Quote Reply

Prev Next