Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Just talked my lbs, this is the parts ordered for me so I will have gen 2 mono coming on Friday - I will update with pics and other info like bolts etc for those interested

Did you get this yet?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZNC2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZNC2019 wrote:
Will the wider stronger diameter 6mm bolts work with the old mono plug in extension when combined with The new Mono Slider – W582447 ?
Is are these parts not backward compatible?

Just bought the old mono extension plugin but want the stronger bolts.

It would not, the spacing is not wide enough.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lbs still has my bike and waiting for the part from trek. Super annoying delays.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered and received the below parts from my LBS and there is a slight error in Mitch's info below:

596164 (6mm bolt and T-nut): approx $50. This comes in a bag with TWO bolts and Two T-nuts. Based on what Mitch said, I ordered two, which got me 4 bolts and 4 T-nuts, which you don't need. Also $50 for two bolts and 2 t-nuts is a bit much.

The Mono Plugin was about $150, not the crazy $250+ that it was before. So that's a nice change. The mono slider that the bolts go through is about $10.

The slot in the new Mono Plugin is slightly wider than before to fit the 6mm bolts. If you wanted to live on the edge you could probably sand down an old mono extension to fit the new bolts and slider (if your old bolts broke and were replacing them anyway).

One thing I'm not thrilled about is the amount of torque it takes to tighten down extensions in the mono plug-in. It's not grabbing the extensions until pretty high torque levels so I'm a bit worried about stripping the bolts (note, this is still within the marked torque specs which I believe are 8Nm, but it just feels like I shouldn't need to crank down that much to secure extensions)

Mitch@Trek wrote:
For those asking about the new Mono Plug-In, I wanted to give you the official update which I can do now!

So the new model retains the same look, but uses 6 mm hardware over the previous 5 mm hardware for added strength. In order to run the new Mono Plug-In, you will need to order the following (which you can actually order TODAY!):

Mono Plugin – W582446
6mm bolt and T-nut – 596164 (You will need TWO of these)
Mono Slider – W582447
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
I just ordered and received the below parts from my LBS and there is a slight error in Mitch's info below:

596164 (6mm bolt and T-nut): approx $50. This comes in a bag with TWO bolts and Two T-nuts. Based on what Mitch said, I ordered two, which got me 4 bolts and 4 T-nuts, which you don't need. Also $50 for two bolts and 2 t-nuts is a bit much.

Mitch@Trek wrote:
For those asking about the new Mono Plug-In, I wanted to give you the official update which I can do now!

So the new model retains the same look, but uses 6 mm hardware over the previous 5 mm hardware for added strength. In order to run the new Mono Plug-In, you will need to order the following (which you can actually order TODAY!):

Mono Plugin – W582446
6mm bolt and T-nut – 596164 (You will need TWO of these)
Mono Slider – W582447

Thanks for the clarification on that, originally this was shipping with 1x per order.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post some pics?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think the fasteners were $50, not $60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those the most overpriced bolts on the planet?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they changed things so those T-nuts were captive in the mono spacer, I would gladly pay $50! But lacking that, ya, expensive.
marting wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Was really just curious if there was anything fundamentally different with the mono plug-in.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
If they changed things so those T-nuts were captive in the mono spacer, I would gladly pay $50! But lacking that, ya, expensive.
marting wrote:

Making them captive would make life enormously easier. I've often thought about 3d printing a little plastic piece and gluing it in there so that the T-nuts have room to float but are prevented from falling so far that I can't get to them with a bolt. Doesn't have to be load bearing or anything so it would actually be pretty quick and easy.... Heck, no need to glue it. Friction fit would do the job.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes please! If you want to borrow a 2.5cm mono spacer and some old style t-nuts for a couple weeks to make that project happen, let me know and I can send them your way.

GreenPlease wrote:
Making them captive would make life enormously easier. I've often thought about 3d printing a little plastic piece and gluing it in there so that the T-nuts have room to float but are prevented from falling so far that I can't get to them with a bolt. Doesn't have to be load bearing or anything so it would actually be pretty quick and easy.... Heck, no need to glue it. Friction fit would do the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does the new assembly fit in the old mono spacer?

if not i wonder if sanding or dremeling out .5mm of each side would work....
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZNC2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new bolts are just barely too wide to fit through the slot of an old mono extension. I'd say sanding would work, but I'm sure Trek would think otherwise :)

ZNC2019 wrote:
does the new assembly fit in the old mono spacer?

if not i wonder if sanding or dremeling out .5mm of each side would work....
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I've found works really well is a little dab of green transmission Assemblee Goo on the t-nuts. Since I've used that, the T-nuts have stayed in place through several disassemblies/adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey mitch and all

hoping i cold get some help. The pad wing countersunk bolts that go on top. I believe they are m5x21mm. To replace these i need to buy it as part of a larger kit, which is crazy pricey. I have a propensity to round these bastards - i often play with tilt, hence they come on and off a bit. Plus i find i rust they out easily. Can i confirm, would these be a decent replacement? (21mm impossible to find in AUS, 20mm is all i can get)
https://www.probolt-australia.com/...-0-8mm-x-20mm-4.html ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
hey mitch and all

hoping i cold get some help. The pad wing countersunk bolts that go on top. I believe they are m5x21mm. To replace these i need to buy it as part of a larger kit, which is crazy pricey. I have a propensity to round these bastards - i often play with tilt, hence they come on and off a bit. Plus i find i rust they out easily. Can i confirm, would these be a decent replacement? (21mm impossible to find in AUS, 20mm is all i can get)
https://www.probolt-australia.com/...-0-8mm-x-20mm-4.html ?

You are correct on the bolt size! I've seen many users in the Weight Weenies forms move to titanium hardware - might be a nice option! (the color selection is really neat as well)

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Aug 9, 19 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say I'm not too fond of the rear brake assembly on My 2018 SC.

It's obviously an item that requires frequent servicing which I don't mind doing but the damn thing gets sticky and won't retract after about 3-4 rides. This bike has never been in the rain and doesn't get the hose treatment ever. Now the cable ferrule is welded to the recess in the brake yolk, the cable end is frayed and won't fit into the brake wedge anymore and it's too short to trim now.

So now I have to drill out the ferrule, anyone know that drill bit dimension? (od of the ferrule). I'll have to run a new cable too. Good thing I'm retired...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
I have to say I'm not too fond of the rear brake assembly on My 2018 SC.

It's obviously an item that requires frequent servicing which I don't mind doing but the damn thing gets sticky and won't retract after about 3-4 rides. This bike has never been in the rain and doesn't get the hose treatment ever. Now the cable ferrule is welded to the recess in the brake yolk, the cable end is frayed and won't fit into the brake wedge anymore and it's too short to trim now.

So now I have to drill out the ferrule, anyone know that drill bit dimension? (od of the ferrule). I'll have to run a new cable too. Good thing I'm retired...

You may be able to tap the ferrule out of the assembly with a small punch. Check your housing and make sure there are no kinks and consider replacing it along with the cable. These are important to replace together and could be the reason for your sticky brake in addition to loss of cable tension.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe have a shop check your cable routing?
I had a gen 1 SC, and know folks with Gen2 SC's, and none of use have had the issues you are describing. I was actually quite amazed at how well the rear brake cover on the trek kept out dirt and grime on mine. Raced 180km in huge downpour, rear brake worked like new during and after. Can't say the same for my Felt IA......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d make sure everything is set up correctly and there’s not binding on the brake pad arms when you freely move them.

I’ve never had to do any futzing with my brakes. Takes a little effort to set up when I re-cable, but zero maintenance once dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what type of bolts/screws are the top cradle bolts called? i can't seem the ball type of head.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I’d make sure everything is set up correctly and there’s not binding on the brake pad arms when you freely move them.

I’ve never had to do any futzing with my brakes. Takes a little effort to set up when I re-cable, but zero maintenance once dialed in.

You must live a charmed life (or perhaps you ride indoors in Arizona) Here in FL everything corrodes even when you store the bike in the AC.

Anyway the ferrule came out with some persuasion, I had a drill bit that was the same OD and it came out in pieces but it didn't bugger up the brake yolk. I had enough length on the cable housing to trim it back and the cable itself moves freely. The sticky part comes from the wedge getting hung up between the brake arms. The little brass rollers are always bound whenever I inspect the assembly and the wedge sometimes gets trapped by the brake arms itself. It works better with grease but the grease attracts the dirt.

I'll need to replace the cable but for now it's working. Time to ride as soon as it stops raining!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spray a very small amount of PL-100 on the wedges from time to time, seems to make the brake work perfectly for several 100's of km.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
what type of bolts/screws are the top cradle bolts called? i can't seem the ball type of head.

We just have them classified as a standard bolt even though it uses a unique head shape. You could order these replacements through your local dealer however!

Quote Reply

Prev Next