Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are only getting credit for kilometers. If you enter miles each mile will only get you credit for 1 kilometer, so you can choose to lose 60% of the distance that you run....is it really that tough for some of you guys to multiple by 16 and divide by 10? Surely you actually took 16 times tables in math class, or is that why the US economy is running such a huge current account deficit and the USD is tanking because you guys can't do simple arithmetic and pretty well every household is running more debt than savings....sorry I could not resist (maybe I'll just go back to reading economist.com).

Since we have participants from around the world and every other country on the planet uses Kilometers, you are stuck with that.

England still uses miles, don't they?

If you're going to bash the US for its math skills, you should probably get your own math right... if someone runs a mile and reports it as one kilometer, he or she is only losing ~37.9% of the actual distance run (i.e., 1 mile reported as 0.621 miles). On the other hand, the number of miles run is ~60.9% greater than that reported, which is probably what you meant. Using 1.6 for the conversion factor also short changes the imperial distance runners just a little. Can I have the conversion error miles left over from everyone participating? That should get me in shape for the spring.

Quote | Reply
Anyway, it's Paul's challenge and HIS challenge is in km

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

hi,
i want in as well. here's my email addy:

sonnybautista@gmail.com

thanks!
Last edited by: sonnybau: Dec 5, 07 2:52
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just saw that immyfish did a 6.4 km run in 30 min. I did it in 40. :-)
You're obviously much better at pacing yourself :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [glitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey glitch, thanks for setting me straight :-). By the way, the US, is actually darn good in science and math and leads the world in innovation (can likely be confirmed by sheer volume of annual patent filings)....the problem is the average US consumer, who wants more than their paycheque can cash (leading in the end to a huge current account deficit).

Here is a nice article on US Educational performance published in EE Times (Electronic Engineering). I see this type of scenario daily with my US and European customers who are quite willing to innovate and figure out how to design a better wireless basestation, video headend or image processing system themselves, compared to customers in China who have no clue and basically try and copy their western counterparts, or worse yet, rely on a semiconductor vendor to sort their design out for them because they can't think outside of the sandbox that their manager put them in....anyway, time to go train (sorry for the diversion to lavendar room territory):

EE Times:
Study questions U.S. shortfall in math, science

Sheila Riley
(11/06/2007 7:27 PM EST)
URL: http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202803135 SAN FRANCISCO — It's been said often: Uninterested U.S. students aren't keeping up in science, technology, engineering and math, ultimately leading to a decline in skilled workers and U.S. competitiveness.
But new research contradicts the conventional wisdom, asserting that U.S. students are doing well compared to their foreign counterparts. Moreover, the U.S. is educating a sufficient number of scientists and engineers to maintain its current global competitiveness, according to a Urban Institute report.
International test rankings for U.S. students are often cited as evidence of national math and science weakness, and these data inform national educational policy. But the tests themselves are flawed, said Hal Salzman, senior research associate at the Washington-based organization and co-author of the report.
U.S. students have taken more math, science and foreign language courses over the past ten years than in previous decades, the study found. In 1990, only 45 percent of high school students took chemistry. By 2004, the percentage had risen to 60 percent.
The proportion that hit the math books for three years jumped from 49 percent in 1990 to 72 percent in 2004, while those taking math for four years increased from 29 percent to 50 percent.
SAT math and science scores showed similar gains, according to the Institute's report, "Into the Eye of the Storm: Assessing the Evidence on Science and Engineering Education, Quality, and Workforce Demand."
But the skills that testing evaluates may not be the ones needed for innovation in a global economy. "Japan, Singapore and [South] Korea do have the kind of education that leads to [better] test performance, but does that lead to more innovation, better jobs and a better economy?" Salzman asked.
For example, Singapore is promoting a national "creativity initiative" because the Asian city-state's leaders realize the need to de-emphasize its narrow educational approach, Salzman said. But for now, he added, it makes little sense to compared math and science scores in tiny Singapore with the sprawling U.S.
Indian policy makers have argued against connecting overall educational success to economic performance. The study notes that the Indian subcontinent has a 39-percent illiteracy rate and high school enrollment of under 50 percent. It owes it success to a small percentage of its citizens, Salzman said. "The use of average rates across a diverse group of nations and diverse populations is of limited use in drawing conclusions about global standing economically or educationally," the report concluded.
There is support for the criticism of testing methods, even from those who disagree with the study's conclusions. "When you're testing a broader selection, it's going to put the U.S. at a disadvantage," said George Haley, director for the Center for International Industry Competitiveness at the University of New Haven.
Lower-performing students reduce the U.S. average. In other countries, they wouldn't even be eligible to take the tests, Haley said.

But Haley takes issue with the study's broader conclusion that the U.S. isn't falling behind in math and science education. Other recent studies show that the very top percentage of U.S. students is beginning to drop in comparison to students from other countries, he said.
"The problem arises with the comparison of our top-performing students to those in other countries," Haley said.
There's another element to consider in the education debate: the nature of U.S. society. "The U.S. stands alone in having more challenges to its educational system than any of the advanced industrial countries," Salzman said.
For one thing, there's a stronger relationship between a school's economic situation and its success, or what some have called the "zip code determines education quality" phenomenon. Other countries do a better job of compensating within a school system for students' disadvantages, according to Salzman.
"This is what tends to get lost" in the debate, he said.
The report also questions whether there is indeed a shortage of U.S. engineering graduates. "The standard labor market indicators do not indicate a shortage," Salzman asserted, adding that a shortage would result in lower unemployment for engineers and rapidly increasing wages, similar to what occurred during the dot-com era, he said.
The U.S. science and engineering workforce currently stands at 4.8 million, according to the study.
From 1993 to 2002, U.S. colleges awarded some 380,000 science and engineering bachelor's degrees, over 70,000 master's degrees and, on average, nearly 20,000 engineering doctorates.
"Rather than a supply problem, we probably have a demand problem," Salzman said Tuesday (Nov. 6).
The math and science backgrounds of foreign and U.S. students appear similar, at least at one top U.S. engineering school. While acknowledging that his students may not represent a true cross section of a typical U.S. high school, Joe Helble, dean of the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College, said he sees surprising uniformity.
"When I look at incoming graduate students at Dartmouth and I compare the ones who are U.S.-educated and those [educated overseas], I don't see huge differences," he said.
What Helble sees "are differences in creativity. I would say that the U.S. students are among the most creative and innovative."
Although some Asian students may have better raw quantitative skills, that doesn't necessarily make them better engineers or scientists, Helble said. "You have to look at their ability to tackle a problem without a clear solution."
Some Dartmouth engineering grads end up in other fields, including financial services and investment jobs where they are valued for their ability to think quantitatively and analyze technologies, the Dartmouth dean noted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev

Funny thing about recording workouts ..... I'm metric for biking and swimming but use miles for running. My wife hates to use my Garmin since it is set to beep every mile and give me my last mile split and she likes kms :) The past few years I've not even kept track of the distance that I run or ride, only the time.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm caving in my old age. Participants will still have to enter data on sheet 1 in kilometers, however, in the upcoming sheet 2 where all the 'stats' will be compiled, you'll see all kinds of metrics in both imperial and metric system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last nite did 5k with son again going out this am for my run

ken
trying to act like a runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just take whatever miles I run and go to this website to convert it over, before entering it on the spreadsheet. That didnt seem too hard to me.

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/km_miles.html

I keep that website on my toolbar, since it seems like I am always converting from one to the other.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [GOKARTN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not too late, can you put me on the list Dev, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody just accepted my marriage proposal... emphatically no less. I am ecstatic. He doesn't know what he is in for!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [pippi63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I did not do entries to the spreadsheet at 6 am today, cause Dan McGuire and I are working on "sheet" two which will have all the stats compiled. You should see that up and running later today. So as a result, I'll do my last round of entries over lunch hour today.

Please send email to my PM. That is the easiest option with respect to having to track if I entered you or not and also if you are concerned for the privacy of your address.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just finished 4 more miles today and i can already see how these challenges are addicting. the key is to be there for all 100 days.

ken
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [drdivot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you mean you just finished 6.437376 more kilometers? Not to stir the pot, but why do US races use metric distances (5k and 10k mostly) but use miles for intermediate markers? Isn't it hopeless mixing of units to say, "My 10K pace is 6 min/mile."? I must say I am tired of coming into work on Monday (at an engineering firm), being asked what I did over the weekend, saying I did a 10K race, then being asked how many miles that is. Also, while I'm at it, why do swimmers and runners use pace (time/distance) while cyclists use speed (distance/time)? End of rant :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
Maybe you should just tell people to go to the page and post in their email in the chat box there, and ask one of the collaborators who is there to add them.

That is how I was added. (Thx yogatkd!) To add someone, you go to the share tab over the discussion box type in the person's email, and invite them.

No reason for you to have to be typing everyone in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like some of that. Only heard about it today but I think I can make up some of my missed runs. (I ran Sun, Mon and today)

I'd like to be in the Platinum Club please.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [theCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to be in the Platinum Club please.

If only it was that easy (sigh). You have to EARN it cowboy!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Preemptive me as usual. Of course I meant, I'd like to try to join the Platinum Club please! Bring it on!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [mailman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did the luton marathon here in the uk on the 2nd of December.quite a good start to my 100 days .well it was the second day wasn't it.trouble is now my legs are shot I need at least a couple days of no running ,Then I'm playing catch up.Im doing a 50k run at the end of Jan you sure I can't have bonus points for distance
Well done, luton is not flat. The rules say that you can double if there is a gap of at least an hour. So, let say you did a touch more than 3 hours in Luton, then you should be able to count one 1h run, then a gap of 1h 'jog', finished by another 1 run. Or is this pushing the 'spirit of the rule'? Call the referee!

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I did my "last round of entries". There are a total of 207 unique emails in there, so let's see how many actually post after the first few days (or after day 30 when things start to get tough).

After this, anyone who wants "in" needs to ask one of the other 206 to "register them"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dev
I got an error message the last two days trying to log-on ("browser error - type ctrl F5 to refresh").
Is it that too many users logged on simultanously leading to that? I'll try tomorrow morning when you guys over the pond are sleeping.
5 days, 6 runs, 100k - all is good.
cheers
uli

Quote | Reply
"5 days, 6 runs, 100k - all is good. "

I think you may be over your mileage (errr...kilometerage) quota.

If you stop running for a few days you will probably be all set.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do a 30min. run tomorrow and report back to you if it worked.

Quote | Reply
"Don't you mean you just finished 6.437376 more kilometers" i understand what you mean i am just a trifle anal and i ran 4.02 miles not 4 acording to my garman. my route was 3.97 i i felt like a liar if i said i ran 4 miles so i just go around a fire station for the little extra. the host dev asked for km and i am hoping that i learn that language just a little better but i doubt it. thanks for the rant
'

ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here's a question...I'm doing a charity run on the weekend - The Toronto Santa Speedo Run. It is supposed to be less than 3K so nowhere near the required 30 minutes (although I could run it very slowly and we do stop to do some jumping jacks in the main intersections).

Forecast is calling for somewhere around 0C (32F)...so do you try and run a bit before the official start to the run or continue a bit after? Note - I'd be in a speedo in both cases, most likely on my own, in a posh shopping neighbourhood of Toronto and I am a not so fit 205lbs...

There is talk of doing a midnight neighbourhood re-enactment at a christmas party I'm throwing so maybe I can fit in the 30 minutes there...hmm

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply

Prev Next