Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments (both here and via PM) on the new Ranking sheets. I must admit I had a good time playing around with this and bouncing ideas back and forth with Dev.

It was a complete surprise to me to see all those extra horizontal border lines in the two Speed columns as shown in the screen grab by BottomFeeder above. They weren't there last night. Then again, it was 4:00 AM as I was finishing things up so maybe I just didn't see them through all the fuzz in my eyes!

On the other hand, if you happened to make some inadvertent edits and you know what you did to make the extra border lines appear, please PM me. It is not my intention to "out" you or anything like that but I would like to know what you did so maybe I can prevent it in the future.

In any case I'll go clean things up right now.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [djm2150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those lines were a disgrace. Who let you play with the spreadsheets? :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the different ranking sheets, but they don't appear to work. The lists on both sheets appear to be out of order.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colin, the rankings are "up to date" first thing after they are sorted by Dan or I...after that they get updated as people enter data on the first sheet, but the ordering on subsequent sheets is not updated to reflect the new data.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, those lines were a disgrace. Who let you play with the spreadsheets? :-)

Computer gremlins. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Truth be told, the only reason I started playing with this stuff is so that I could see myself at the top of a leaderboard at least once before I die. Sure won't happen in any of my races. Maybe I'll have to "fix" things so that the #1 spot on the Time sheet stays frozen. Yeah, I'm liking that idea more and more now that I think about it.

Seriously, this whole Dev 100/100 thing is great motivation for me to keep my streak going. I started my own "run every day" program back on Oct 13, shooting for at least an hour per run. (And I had been building up gradually before that in both duration and frequency.) I didn't really have an end goal in mind but I was 50 for 50 when the challenge started so I figured I might as well keep going. So far so good.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,
An hour min per day, that's pretty solid. One suggestion on the spreadsheet. How bout a total runs ranking, since after all that's the basis of the challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [admill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bout a total runs ranking, since after all that's the basis of the challenge.

Dev and I kicked around a bunch of different ideas on how to do things. To paraphrase him, having 3 different ranking sheets serves to highlight 3 different types of runners: "Distance" for the high volume, high speed running machines, "Time" for the high volume but perhaps low speed guys, and "Average Speed/Pace" for the speed demons even if they have low volume. And having all the data on each sheet lets you answer questions like "Man, that guy is racking up the big miles, I wonder if it's because he's fast or because he's putting in a lot of hours?"

Having all the data repeated also lets everybody see all the stats about themselves without having to tab to multiple sheets, whether or not they have any interest in who happens to be "leading" a particular category. And here's a hint: After you make a daily log entry, if you are interested in your latest stats, tab over to the "Speed" sheet. The "Average Speed/Pace" ranking order probably won't change much from day to day, although the numbers themselves (and all the other stats) are updated automatically every time you make a daily log entry. You probably have a good idea of your average pace, so just scroll down til you get to your group of virtual running partners who all have a similar pace. That should make it easier to find yourself and see all your stats.

I'm not sure how useful it would be to have a "Total Runs" ranking since it seems to me that a lot of folks are going to have similar numbers. Yes, there are some who are doing the "run short but multiple times per day" thing in order to have some insurance in case they miss a day, but I think (personal opinion) that the spirit of the 100/100 challenge is just to run consistently every day. However, it's Dev's baby and I'll let him make the call on that one.

An hour min per day, that's pretty solid.

Well, I decided that I really need to become a runner instead of just some poser with $100 shoes. This picture should explain everything. It's from Vineman in August. Ummm ... notice how dark it is? :-)

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dan...for now the three leaderboards are enough...if you want to see who is leading in "total number of runs", just have a look at the top of the "minutes" rankings and you'll likely find the same guys leading or close to the lead in minutes, up there for number of runs :-)

Frankly, there is already a "prize" for running often...platinum, gold, silver, bronze clubs...the other sheets are there so people can "compete" on other fronts :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK guys, as you have seen there are new sheets with "Leaderboard" for various categories:
  1. Minutes of Running
  2. Distance Run
  3. Average Speed

Since this is a long "tour" the Societe de 100 Runs in 100 Days will start handing out daily "Jerseys" to keep things interesting:
  1. Yellow Jersey: Minutes of Running
  2. Polka Dot Jersey: Distance Run (since we distance is kind of a horizontal metric compared to climbing...)
  3. Green Jersey: Average Speed (since this is the closest thing to sprinting)

Since some people are "pros" at this type of training and the rest of us are mere mortals, to keep you and your training partners interested, I will add another column where you will enter your age group (ex M40-44). Then you can see how you are doing in your age group if you happen to be out of contention in the overall categories (or at least beat your training buddies in the age group competition, which in the end is what its all about....hammer your friends in training....).

Now we need a newspaper sponsor, podium girls, stuffed Lions, an entourage, live coverage on TF1, doping control, team buses, and a finish on the Champs Elyeses....maybe we can get CPTChaos to pop over from London to Paris and do his final run under the Arch de Triomphe....it would only be fitting since he is currently leading the Speed (I mean Green Jersey) competition!!!

OK...gotta go train...hoping to get over 100K by this weekend, which would put me right on track for 1000K in 100 days!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to silk screen the following phrases onto the jerseys:

yellow - "I need to get a life"

polka dot - "A stress fracture is so worth this jersey"

green - "Show off"

I'm off to "audition" the podium girls...

-----------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: BottomFeeder: Dec 8, 07 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, I decided that I really need to become a runner instead of just some poser with $100 shoes.
I am in much the same boat. I am a cyclist/non-runner who attempted my first marathon at Chicago 2006 and botched it in just about every way possible (insufficient training, bad pacing, etc,etc). I'm planning another attempt in May and want to do it right this time. I started my every day running program on November 5th, the day after my last cyclocross race. I am now hitting the weekly mileage of my previous "marathon training" without even doing a long run and hope to keep building from here. I also want to improve my 5/10K times which I feel are not where they should be relative to my overall fitness level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm off to "audition" the podium girls...[/quote] You know the rule, pics or it never happened.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Desertdude, we want pictures of the podium girls or your audition never happened.

This challenge is ridiculous....Sunday is supposed to be my "day off running" so that I can do a 40-50K XC ski, but I can't slide out of the top 10 in the GC (minutes) and King of Mountains (distance), without some semblance of a fight...so I will try and get a 10K run in before tomorrow's long ski and cut the ski back by 20-30 minutes!

Oh well, I'll end up with another ~20 hour training week (currently at 17), so I'm in no risk of gaining weight before Monday's weigh in for the "gain zero pounds challenge"...of course Desertdude does not have that problem as his picture is on display when you open the dictionary to the definition of "aerobic nothingness" :-)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all means ski your heart out and don't worry about running. I promise I won't pass you in the time classification. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea with the extra sheets, very fun reading. After this challenge is over we need to save the final standings and then compare them to the results next summer. Then we can see if someone trained little and raced fast, that would be the real winner :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since some people are "pros" at this type of training and the rest of us are mere mortals, to keep you and your training partners interested, I will add another column where you will enter your age group (ex M40-44). Then you can see how you are doing in your age group if you happen to be out of contention in the overall categories (or at least beat your training buddies in the age group competition, which in the end is what its all about....hammer your friends in training....).

I think this is a great idea! Thanks for adding the AG column.

I hope you will include that column on the standings pages, as well. Or maybe I should be careful what I ask for! :)

Quote | Reply
Is it our 2008 AG?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remind me... I'm turning 40 in August. Does that make me 40-44, or 35-39?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [immyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 40 in June, so we get to be 40 for 2008.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you will include that column on the standings pages, as well.

You bet! As soon as Dev adds the AG column on the main sheet (and tells us the rules for how to determine our AG for a "race" that goes on for 100 days) I'll include AG next to everybody's name on the various ranking sheets. And we'll even have a new sheet grouped by AG.

Should be big fun. I can't wait to see my fellow runners in the "Older & Wiser" group inflict a serious butt-kicking on the "Young Stud" crowd.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant ideas on the jerseys, i'm just floating around 50th across the board so gonna have to try plan my break away day where i'll try and take a daily stage victory for distance or time! I'm 7 for 8, and gonna double up on Tuesday for 10 for 10, which will be the first 10/10 of running i've done for 3 years! This challenge rocks!! I've had such a lazy day and dragged myself off the couch for a sneaky 6km, it was awesome, Platinum here i come!!

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Last edited by: legs11: Dec 9, 07 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [legs11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah...totally forgot about "Stage Victories" !

In a 100 day Tour though, maybe there should be a weekly "performance of the week", some crazy day like either a super long run, or a day with 4 runs, or maybe an entire week that is cumulatively over the top. Right now, with Uli leading both the time and distance categories, it would seem that he's my nominee for performance of the week, however, if you guys see some individual performances, please flag them. Then we what I can do is come up with a logo for the 'stage winner' jersey and insert that jpeg beside the person's name.

Dan, the Age group column is in

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So here's a question...I'm doing a charity run on the weekend - The Toronto Santa Speedo Run. It is supposed to be less than 3K so nowhere near the required 30 minutes (although I could run it very slowly and we do stop to do some jumping jacks in the main intersections).

Forecast is calling for somewhere around 0C (32F)...so do you try and run a bit before the official start to the run or continue a bit after? Note - I'd be in a speedo in both cases, most likely on my own, in a posh shopping neighbourhood of Toronto and I am a not so fit 205lbs...

There is talk of doing a midnight neighbourhood re-enactment at a christmas party I'm throwing so maybe I can fit in the 30 minutes there...hmm

.......... so? Are you still alive? No frostbite I hope..........

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per your comment on the spreadsheet about listening to your body, looks like I will need to cut back the volume a little this week. I developed a disturbing pain in the front of my knee (a new and exciting ailment for me!) this past weekend. Just completed 5 weeks of gradually increasing mileage (kilometerage) so it's probably a good time for a down week anyway. There's a 5k this saturday that I really want to do so there's another reason to back off a little, to make sure I don't blow my chance to do that. So I did an easy 30 on the treadmill this morning and I'll give myself a 36 hour rest then try another easy 30 on the treadmill tommorow evening.
Quote Reply

Prev Next