Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lemme try again... silver and please sign up daniel.heineck(at) google mail... if you know what I mean. I'd be in the 20-24 Male AG

Best,
Daniel

EDIT: Thanks guys for taking care of this

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: DHeineck: Dec 12, 07 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent invite and message.
Dan,
Once you're in, please edit your post on the forum so others don't also invite you in. Thanks- good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy, I think hypocracy is an unwarranted usage of the English language in this case. Originally, there were clubs for number of runs. That's still there. New categories evolved as a result of the spreadsheet. Anyway, you get what you pay for and in this case the payment is zero :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case, we get a LOT more than we pay for :-)

I think most of us are adult enough here not to go out and injure ourselves for the sake of being at the top of a spreadsheet. It sounds like that is what Cathy is concerned about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cathy, I think hypocracy is an unwarranted usage of the English language in this case. Originally, there were clubs for number of runs. That's still there. New categories evolved as a result of the spreadsheet. Anyway, you get what you pay for and in this case the payment is zero :-)
Nothing wrong with keeping track of the time or distance separately. The finishing time is indicated on each of the "finishers" certificates that I have, no one complains about that. Just like any race, finishing is the first goal, finishing before others is secondary and finishing ahead of others in certain aspects even while losing provides the opportunity for smacktalk regardless of the overall outcome. Same concept as "yeah you beat me by a half hour but you swim like crap, etc". Isnt that why they keep track of the splits in a triathlon? Without the additional spreadsheets it would be too time consuming to look at what others are up too. Keep up the good work Dev :-) gotta run...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the negativity here. This is just a bunch of people trying to interject a little fun into some training that might otherwise be a little dreary and lonely. I remember you doing this last year too, repeatedly posting about the reasons you weren't participating. If it's not for you then just don't participate.

PS- I've raced at least once a month since last winter's challenges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with Cathy. i am just doing the 30 minute minimum. not worrying about the distance or speed. my goal is to once again run 100 days in a row. That is an accomplishment in itself. some will be longer and some will be faster pace; but that is not my purpose in the challenge.
jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with others that everyone should be "adult enough" to not go faster or longer or more often than their body can handle. If the spreadsheet motivates you, then even better.

I know that I am in 30something place in average speed, but I am knocking on the lead in "number of runs".

I am hoping that Uli does not head out for another run in the next 6 hours (it is already 6 pm in Germany). I have to run home from work and I might actually surpass ULI the legend in one category (number of runs)...the spreasheets makes for some good hearted competition....everyone can see tht Uli and J Jones are actually running way more than me (time and distance), but we can all chose to focus on whatever metric turns our cranks.

Jana, glad that you are a playing along and thanks for the encouragement last year....this year we have way more people playing. I won't be hitting 100 days in a row, but I will try and do the same mileage in 100 days and have a few days off through the period.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [jana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly where I'm at. Doing anything consistently for 100 days without missing even a single day is an accomplishment.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries there Dev, I don't run tonight.
Looks like the next double day won't happen until next week. So the number of runs is all yours.

Generally, I do what I would without the challenge although it's fun and does give me some extra motivation - thanks for that! However, I will definitely not run every day for 100 days. There's three days of skiing after xmas and likely some days off running to rest completely, too. Also, I usually have a nasty cold early spring which is bad enough to keep me off any training for a week or so.

Btw, I live in Dublin/Ireland currently(moving to NYC sometime next year), good running climate. We have 11C today. :)

Cheers!

uli

Quote | Reply
...Dublin...only 5 hour time difference...so an extra hour before midnite to squeek in a run...

nothing like a bit of smack talk...good luck with the move to NYC....with a name like Uli, I thought you and Stefan Vukovic were hammering out all these miles together in Reutlingen!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee, you ever been to Reutlingen? I'm born 20ks from there and used to work in Reutlingen for two years.
But I don't know Vucko personally, just his best mate which I meet for a 35k run every xmas. I hope he's done his training. I've emailed him today but no reply so far (hope he's out there running). ;)

uli

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Anyway, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for....if you enter a FREE 100 day training event, then the quality of service may not be as high as paying $200 to enter your local inflated Olympic Distance tri...there is no carbo meal, event Tshirt, finisher medal, no overpriced "finisher merchandise", no 6 day hotel mimimum, and no 364 day advanced sign up...., although I may actually put together finisher certificates by the end of this thing.
http://www.cafepress.com/.../img-bleed/clear.gif

I'm okay with photoshop but I can't post a pic for the life of me.
Quote at bottom: "You get what you pay for and in this case the payment is zero" Devashish Paul
(note this could be changed if anyone is actually serious)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev: it took me over a week to get started with recovery from a nagging hamstring injury from IMF. but i hope to make up those 10 days i missed by doing 2 runs in a day down the road to make up for lost time and I plan to run each day from here on out to get to 100 straight. that would take me to middle of March or so and get me platinum status for the 100 runs in 100 days. you motivate me to get it done. last year was great fun. its amazing how many people are taking the challenge this year.
jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have to agree with others that everyone should be "adult enough" to not go faster or longer or more often than their body can handle."

LOL...everyone should be "adult enough" to pace the bike leg of an IM so that they can have a strong run too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with consistency and a friend suggested this challenge to me last night. Better a late start than never, but I'm in.

Jeff K
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uli, my uncle was a professor in Tuebingen, and I spent a few weeks every summer in the 80's hanging out at their home in Tuebingen after my yearly Euro bike tour (unlike most North American students, I explored Europe by bike, not by train...). Anyway, lots of nice riding between Tuebingen-Reutlingen-Stuttgart area...I even did a ride from Tuebingen to Baden Baden via Freudenstadt, hoping to find Sigmund Freud's house (or some historical landmark to that effect), only to be told that he never lived in Freudenstadt!!!

Anyway, have fun back in that area on your 35K Xmas run...I take it there must be some reasonable XC skiing in the nearby Schwarzwald?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jana, good to hear you are on the horse....this year we have many people to motivate us and it should make it easier.

Until I get my car fixed, I am stuck running 2 work and back every day...maybe I'll just leave the car in the driveway till the holidays when I have more time to fix it and keep running 2 a day to get ahead of Uli in the # of runs standings...then when XC ski racing hits, I can take a day off running on race day as I will have a nice buffer built up.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...everyone should be "adult enough" to pace the bike leg of an IM so that they can have a strong run too...

<insert picture of Bjorn here with lots of smiley faces>...and stop pretending that they can post Bjorn like rides...its called the race to T2...we love it here on ST, and why should this challenge be any different?

So what's the equivalent of T2 in the 100/100....I think we are barely through the first loop of the swim at this point!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all the 100/100 crew....if it wasn't for this spreadsheet and challenge, I wouldn't have been getting out this week to run in the chilly CO evenings. 8 inches of snow this weekend, and another couple yesterday....needless to say, I normally wouldn't have gone out, but I have motivation now!

So thanks to all!!!!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think we are barely through the first loop of the swim at this point!!!
You're being generous! The pros just started, and we're still sitting here peeing in our suits :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [immyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" You're being generous! The pros just started, and we're still sitting here peeing in our suits :-)
----------------------------------------------------
I need a new Sig line. Somebody.. PLEASE say something clever.. Anybody... PLEASE!! :-)
"

You wanted something clever to say, I think you just said it!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i am just doing the 30 minute minimum. not worrying about the distance or speed."

me too for the most part....I will go a bit longer on existing long run days but generally speaking these runs are shorter than i normally do but with the increased frequency i am running way more miles per week than normal for this time of year.

I am really enjoying the extra motivation to get a run in each day...I would say there have already been 4 instances where ordinarily I might have skipped the workout (late in the day/hangover etc..) but got myself out of the door and kept the streak going.

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

On the topic of the spreadsheets, do they update automatically or is this something that you have been doing manually? I ask because it seems every time I check my standing it is off. I always seem to be further down the list than what I should be. I'm not anywhere near "podium" level with you and Uli up there, however, I was curious as to the dynamics of the google spreadsheet.

~Jeff Good

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [jegood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the topic of the spreadsheets, do they update automatically or is this something that you have been doing manually?

I'm sure Dev will comment but let me jump in as well. Your personal "stats" (total time, distance, various averages) are recalculated automatically just as soon as you make a new entry on the DailyLog sheet. However, the order in which your name appears on the various Ranking sheets does not change until Dev does maintenance and clean-up work (nightly, I think).

So if you are merely interested in seeing your own personal data just tab to any of the Ranking sheets and find your name, maybe using that Ctrl-F trick rather than scrolling through all the rows. (Unless your name is Uli, in which case you won't have to do much scrolling.) If you are interested in "passing" your virtual training buddy, give it a while. Of course, in that "while" your training buddy may have logged a run that wasn't in yet when you logged yours, leaving you eating his dust again. :-)

Dan
Quote Reply

Prev Next