Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...2008-2009 starts Dec 15th
Quote | Reply
EDIT: First post edited to show link for viewing and editing:

View Updates: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pGfgkRUvLwmFwPN-1XWFWbQ

For non participants, you can see what your training partner is doing and you can beat him/her up in stealth mode so that you don't get outsprinted for a Kona slot next summer (this is like old school San Diego, where all the pros like Monty and Molina were trying to one up each other in training)....

Participants link for editing: http://spreadsheets.google.com/...gkRUvLwmFwPN-1XWFWbQ

----------------------

Hey guys,

Tomorrow is Dec 1, which means the run challenge that I promised starts tomorrow.

The goal of this entire thing is to lay down a solid run base by doing volume through frequency in short bursts of running. The minimum requirement is doing 30 minutes for the run to count. It can be outdoors or on a treadmill, but it must be running (no water running, no bogus elliptical trainer...). Walking does not count...there must be 2 feet off the ground at some point in every stride (the difference between race walking and running).
  • You can take days off
  • You can double up runs in a day
  • You can take rest days
  • You get no credit for going hard
  • you get no credit for going long
  • You can go as slow as you want

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop).

Last year _EH_, Jana and I put down 100 days in a row of running 30 min or more with ZERO rest days. This year, I plan to take rest days, and also double up some days, cause frankly on some days when I was XC skiing 60K, doing a run later in the day was pure torture and had limited value and barely resembled my slowest pace even in an Ironman...I want to enjoy training.

So here are the clubs:
  1. Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 9th)
  2. Gold Club = 100 runs in 110 days (March 19th)
  3. Silver Club = 100 runs in 120 days (March 29th)
  4. Bronze = 100 runs in 130 days (April 8th)

For the moment, just post here if you want to participate. I'll try to set up some type of a google spreadsheet like Tigerchik did for the swim challenge.

It is great training for anyone doing a spring marathon or an early season triathlon, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you accumulate mileage, all without getting injured...because the focus is keeping them short and aerobic. By all means feel free to run longer than 30 minutes, but the main goal here is to get you out the door, 5-7 times per week, especially given that the weather is generally shitty for riding in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere.

EDIT: Question about runs shorter than 30 minutes

I want to encourage people to run whenever possible. If you run less than 30 minutes, no, you don't get credit for doing a "complete" run for your final "club" status. However, there are times when you can't get the entire thing in because you have to emphasize another sport or you only have time for a 15 minute transition run, or you have to get groceries or get to work. So I still want to encourage you to run and there can still be some form of credit for the minutes and distance on a cumulative basis.

So basically let's say you do a 15 minute run covering 3K. You can't enter this as a "complete run" for your "club status", however, if you do many of these over the winter, they all add up to more base, so what you CAN do is add these 15 minutes in your entry for the next run...so if your next run is 45 minutes, and 9K, just put it in as 60 minutes and 12K and take some partial credit for it. Also you cannot add two 15 minute runs to count for a single 30 minute run...you have to run 30 minutes continuously in one training session for it to count as a whole run :-)

thanks...see you on the virtual training loops!

Dev

PS. Sorry for the late notice...life got in the way
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 25, 08 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I signed up for a 50 mile run on April 5th, I'm in.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in!

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in Dev, I need it... shooting for Gold Club.

I want to use this challenge to see if I can override some of my bogus excuses for not running, mostly the "I'm tired" excuse, or the "I don't feel like it today" excuse, or the "I promise I'll run double tomorrow" excuse.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In, goin' for gold!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try it. Maybe it will help me get ready for Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for Silver....as it turns out March 29th is Cali 70.3, my first A race of the season so it works out perfectly.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, someone has to do it so I will do it as gently and quickly as possible – when considering whether to do this or not, “to thy own biomechanics be true.” Good luck to all.
-----------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [itseazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for gold club...need to average 10 days out of 11, or 3 rest days from running per month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Going for Gold.

Thanks for putting this together Dev,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in too! Thanks for putting this together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!

And I'm going to get Platinum!

It coincides perfectly with the realization I had last night..."my eating habits are crap...I am overweight...I need to improve my overall health".

So tonight I will...clean out the cupboards and fridge, tomorrow I will restock w/ much better choices and work on totally revamping my diet.

It's good timing as it's my birthday tomorrow and I was dreading the cake. As I love cake. (and soooo don't need it)

*Sorry to hijack the post.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I'm starting a "Run Everday in December" challenge with my tri-team so why not push further if I am able to get that completed. This will be a good way to start my 'back-to-basics' run training for next year. Thanks Dev for setting this up.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for gold Dev. Gotta lose some of this cosmetic bulk. Got a head start - went out for an easy 16k lunch run today - out to loch march gc, left at huntmar to richardson side road and back along the deadly goulborn forced. Better up the life insurance if you run along there during the day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in. I need a little accountability this winter.

-Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be amazed if I get in 100 cumulative MINUTES in the next 100 days.

Now 100 beers......Mmmmmmm.....beeeeeeers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev

I'm in, I need to get it back in gear after my easy weeks
since Phily.

Peter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, likely for bronze. The swim challenge was a lot of fun; hopefully this will be, too.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris, what's this a about bronze...the hills in the Buccaneer Resort in St. Croix have a sign saying, "if you want to fly up here on loop 2, sign up for Gold club..."

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I`m in, go for silver. I`m registered in Austin Marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, Dev you always come up with this stuff and I feel compelled to give it a shot. So, here I go. I'm in for whatever I can manage to do, but I'll definitley give it a solid effort. Of course this means that I'll probably be spending most of the winter months cursing you. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in. I need this, it's a good kick in the pants. Thanks for putting this together Dev.

Good luck everyone.

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm, looking at my workout log, I've done 24 runs in the last 200 days. I think 100 runs in 110 days might be ramping it up a bit much. Tried that two months ago and it wasn't pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Goal is to run more than I would if I wasn't in. Only 3 weeks to prepare for the Xmas Virtual Camp... yikes!

MAO Elite Team
http://www.markallenonline.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next