Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [admill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I slipped on some ice and tweaked my knee this morning, no running for me today. I hope it heals quickly! Knee pain sucks.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev

Set me up.

I think I'll be getting 10 runs in all below 10 degrees. Setting up for a nasty winter.

Ottomann

Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your ass out there and do the best you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This quitting thing, it's a hard habit to break once you start.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [ottomann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, Amy M is knocking on Uli's door. And Dan M is clinging onto his first place in the minutes ranking... but that's because he runs so slow. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but that's because he runs so slow

Sad but true. But perhaps you've never heard that little story about the tortoise and the hare ...

:-)

Dan the Hare, Not
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [djm2150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my 16 year old car seems to be having some issues. I don't want to inconvience my wife, so it looks like Dev will be using the $75 Saucony vehicle to get around for the rest of the week to work and back, which should be good for this challenge....I'll see this weekend about fixing the car....or I can just say screw it and run everywhere for the rest of the winter until I can get on my bike in the spring. Maybe this will be a good enough reason to revert to becoming a 1 vehicle + 8 bike family...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [ottomann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me with a gmail address and i'll add you in,

Gav 8 for 9 so far

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, just so you don't smack talk me on the google page for all the goose eggs....
I'm pulling the plug early in the challenge here. I've come to the realization that I'm not ready to blow off other "life" things for training yet.
While I am back training on a schedule, I'm still at the point where I don't want to cram training in while trying to enjoy time with family and friends, do some house maintence, etc.
I'll get my 4-5 runs in a week but I'm sure not going to get 100 in 110....look out come Feb, March and April though!
Good luck to you and everyone else....and if we do end up moving to Ottawa you can talk all the smack you want when the various tri-studs kick my ass this summer!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [itseazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smart move Ian! You a wise man. Don't blow your life for bloody running.
Cheers
uli

Quote | Reply
Dev,

How about some kind of reward for the lowest average score across the different categories, meaning if someone is 1st in time, 3rd in distance, 5th in speed, etc. they would have 9 points, and on that schedule the lowest point total takes the yellow jersey. Yellow, because it would show the 'strongest' runner, or most insane (as I feel after the first eleven days of this challenge). Tomorrow morning I am going to go hard, real hard so hopefully my legs will be there to do what the mind orders.

Good night!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jack, I like that idea....lowest overall score, but to make that work, I would like to see the "speed" count only if you achieve "Bronze" level pace, which would mean an average of 10 runs out of 13 days. Otherwise someone can sit around a lot, run hard and get up high in the the so called GC, but by virtue of having a really high standing on speed, which really defeats the purpose of the challenge.

Instead, I would prefer to see Time, Kilometers, number of runs and speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throwing in the towel so soon? I'm just getting warmed up. What's the matter? You skeered of me? Whatcha got?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev--All of your extra ranking spreadsheets seem to be defeating the original purpose. Consistency is key.
clm

From your first post:

Tomorrow is Dec 1, which means the run challenge that I promised starts tomorrow.

The goal of this entire thing is to lay down a solid run base by doing volume through frequency in short bursts of running. The minimum requirement is doing 30 minutes for the run to count. It can be outdoors or on a treadmill, but it must be running (no water running, no bogus elliptical trainer...). Walking does not count...there must be 2 feet off the ground at some point in every stride (the difference between race walking and running).

You can take days off
You can double up runs in a day
You can take rest days
You get no credit for going hard
you get no credit for going long

You can go as slow as you want

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree with this one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhhh come on. Where's the fun in that?? I, for one, like to see how I stack up against the 'competition'. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

I actually kind of like the spreadsheets and rankings...even though I have no illusions of leading any of the categories. It's interesting to me to see what some of the others are doing their runs at, how far they're going, order of hard/easy/long runs. I'm just trying to be consistent myself at 4-6 days per week, but I think the spreadsheets and rankings are a nice touch...as long as people don't let them run their schedule and get hurt!

Btw, good luck in training for the 50 miler. For some reason, even though getting my run back is the hardest part, I find myself wanting to do a really long (50k, 50m, 12 hr) run, even though my longest run in 15 years is about 12-13m so far.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [unclegimpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I spent time today going over the training plan and laying it all out. Should be interesting!

I agree the rankings are fun to look at, but with lots of new people and you know how folks can get carried away......here's the rub.....

.as long as people don't let them run their schedule and get hurt!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's my key, anyway. I won't let a spreadsheet let me run myself into injuries that I have to overcome later. I'm shooting for bronze, but will probably end up somewhere between bronze and tin :0). I figure 140 days should hopefully get it done. If I get it in 130, great. If it takes 160, so be it. My main goal is to get back a consistent base so I can enjoy it.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I read your new signature and decided to bag it. No way I can compete with a Prospective Gold Medallist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy, quit whining...the most important aspect is the number of minutes and number of runs and that is where the consistency comes in. You can really get your minutes up by doing lots of runs and never being trashed! And that's what gets you into the various levels: platinum, gold, silver, bronze

The other stuff is so that people can see what others are doing and get some motivation, and its always nice to get insight into what your training partner is up to. You can always choose to ignore the distance and speed sheets and not enter your distance on your daily log :-)

Anyway, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for....if you enter a FREE 100 day training event, then the quality of service may not be as high as paying $200 to enter your local inflated Olympic Distance tri...there is no carbo meal, event Tshirt, finisher medal, no overpriced "finisher merchandise", no 6 day hotel mimimum, and no 364 day advanced sign up...., although I may actually put together finisher certificates by the end of this thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, good plan...there are lots of things in life more important than training! Hopefully we'll see you if/when you move up to Ottawa!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 Days Challenge...Starts Dec 1 [unclegimpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unclegimpy, that's the right approach...make it through with some solid running and a good base and no injuries...really that is the goal of the entire thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay...I decided I might have a problem. I fully intended to skip my run today due to a HUGE blister on the arch of my left foot from my new trail shoes, and plans to do some other training today....but....not only did I do a 30 minute run (well, actually 31 minutes to hit my goal distance), I also found myself running faster and faster (not compared to some others....but fast for me) on the treadmill to make up for my slow pace on the snowy trail yesterday. I'm definitely sick...yes, very sick ; ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cathy, quit whining...the most important aspect is the number of minutes and number of runs and that is where the consistency comes in. You can really get your minutes up by doing lots of runs and never being trashed! And that's what gets you into the various levels: platinum, gold, silver, bronze

The other stuff is so that people can see what others are doing and get some motivation, and its always nice to get insight into what your training partner is up to. You can always choose to ignore the distance and speed sheets and not enter your distance on your daily log :-)

Anyway, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for....if you enter a FREE 100 day training event, then the quality of service may not be as high as paying $200 to enter your local inflated Olympic Distance tri...there is no carbo meal, event Tshirt, finisher medal, no overpriced "finisher merchandise", no 6 day hotel mimimum, and no 364 day advanced sign up...., although I may actually put together finisher certificates by the end of this thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't hate me because I'm a prospective STUD!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't whining. I was merely pointing out a glaring inconsistency in your posts. Some people around here might say that is hypocritical. I really don't care how many spreadsheets you have as I am only concerned with my training. Others may differ, and it will be interesting to see how many people are still standing at the end. Or still racing in August or September.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply

Prev Next