Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NJ Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJ Jim wrote:
A few years ago there was a sort of heavy lady at my health club that swam with a flipper that was basically a big swim fin that she could both feet in. She told me she had some kind of mermaid gig going on and she was practicing. She would do this sort of slow dolphin kick and submerge and then surface for a breath,like a whale.

There was a large girl slowly swimming around with a giant mermaid fin last weekend at my pool. Her SO, a large guy with long black hair and beard, just hung out on the edge and watched the whole time. It was interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Hot tubs are disgusting. People Stew. I wouldn't get in one unless I knew I was the first one in there after a regularly-scheduled drain-refill cycle, with balanced chemicals. I know too much about what's in that water.

Back in '93 I worked at a waterpark at the Jersey shore that had a hot tub in the middle of the park. It got packed with people all day long. One of the guard rotations was at the hot tub, and none of us went anywhere near that water - we'd sit on the railing.
By the end of each day it would look like it was filled with Mountain Dew.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some guy was doing the crab walk into the community pool today. Zero depth to about 2 feet, in and out about 10 times. I don't know what that was all about.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NJ Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJ Jim wrote:
refuses to size up guy who's jammers don't contain him creating a pencil holder in the back. AKA Crackie Chan
In Reply To:

he was in my pool today, free cracking a solid three inches
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A national chain opened two gyms near my house about 18 months ago, both of the west areas were delayed in opening. I am basically in the middle of the two. the one about 10 miles north of me is in one of the most expensive zip codes in the USA to live. That wet area opened about a year after the opening.

The other gym is about 10 miles south and those it as a desirable Village "billing" it is in a more...umm...cultural diversity area and the clientele reflects that.

That pool just opened a few weeks ago, so I decided to check it out last weekend

The pool area is on the 1st level and it is 2 separate 2 lane pools. Going into the pool locker room, it was small with only about a dozen lockers. When I placed my stuff on the bench to change, there were several older Spanish speaking men "air drying" in a very, very animated conversation.

Go out to the pool area, and the first pool had a few swimmers in so I went to the farther pool. On the deck was a guy blaring Salsa music and practicing his dance moves. Jumped in the lane and the water was warm and my face is buried in my swim cap laughing my ass off wondering "why the hell I decided to swim here?". I start swimming and in the lane next to me I start seeing more and more people enter and doing the "water angel" swimming. After several minutes it dawned on me that they were about to begin a water exercise class
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my pool we have:

"Old lady that does super slow laps back and forth with fins"... vertical in the water with a pool noodle sort of bicycling and sometimes sort of dolphining. She manages to go back and forth somehow and really dislikes when I swim in a lane beside her... I've heard mention of "too much splashing".

One of my faves is old guy swimming backstroke laps that barely moves. He passes the flags and it seems like it takes him 20 seconds with a hand out kicking on his back... wouldn't want to run into the wall at .0001mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got this lady who has been coming in the evening for the past two years. She spends about 30 mins in the water going (as in not swimming) backwards the entire time in a sort-of sitting position using webbed swim gloves to move along while keeping her head and, more importantly, her hair, out of the water. I've never seen her put her face in the water - ever! A good 10 mins of her half-hour session is spent on her cell phone at the pool's edge. Even water aerobics would be better than this.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I thought I’d never be able to add one here. But Friday after my swim there was an old dude in the shower stuffing like 30 napkins in the front of his tidy whities. Then he walked around the locker room in just his underwear with a huge lumpy bulge. This dude was like 70. It was all very strange. No idea what to call this guy. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about "high school hotshot who only circle swims, refuses to lane split, always wears fins, and only swims butterfly as fast as possible." I have a lot of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Patroclus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patroclus wrote:
Ok I thought I’d never be able to add one here. But Friday after my swim there was an old dude in the shower stuffing like 30 napkins in the front of his tidy whities. Then he walked around the locker room in just his underwear with a huge lumpy bulge. This dude was like 70. It was all very strange. No idea what to call this guy. Lol

"Old Man Stuffs-A-Lot"

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a strange pool denizen, but ocean (big pool... yuge pool)
One in our pod, Scott, is kind of a leader and is well known among marathon OW swimmers. He's also a bit of a prankster.
Sunday morning, we're all meeting at the cove to ocean swim and he's already there with two other swimmers out by the buoy -- 200 yards out. They're slowly making their way back in as we're lining up to enter. He starts yelling at us to come out. Being the prankster he is, we ignore him. One of the two swimmers is marginal, at best, while the other is hanging on to Scott. We just watch, thinking Scott has a new girlfriend or something. The first one makes it in and stumbles through the surf, breathing heavy and looking like she's eternally grateful for having her feet back on solid ground. Scott drifts in with the other woman, screaming at us why we didn't come in to help. "Cuz, you're a goofball, Scott!" He pushes the woman towards shore after prying her off of him (he's in 5 feet of water at this time). She freaks, tries to swim head up, gets pummeled by a small wave, but makes it to shore crying. As she passes me, I notice her Roka wetsuit is unzipped. But what's odd is, I can see she's wearing an Orca wetsuit underneath!
They got their stuff and left immediately. We ask Scott what that was all about. He said they called him to get a few pointers on OW swimming before they tackle Oceanside 70.3 coming in a couple of weeks. My jaw hit the sand. They are in no way going to be able to get through that surf there (It's now a beach start.) Shaw's Cove is way mild compared to Oceanside.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Patroclus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patroclus wrote:

Maybe he had the drip. As a young Corpsmen in the Philippines we were getting ready to head out to Green Beach, one of my Marines says hey Doc got any condoms? Hughes you are not going to be hooking up with someone in the field. No I have the drip and I use it to catch so it doesn't stain my cammies. Off to the clinic. BAM two Grams of Ancef.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just now, getting into the Y pool: an Asian couple wearing full competitive swim kit. Their suits had the FINA-approved bar code, and they had top-line swim caps and racing goggles. The man even had "cupping" bruises on his back....

...and I'd bet they can't even break :45 for a 25y breaststroke or freestyle.

Of course, it makes me wonder how much slower they'd be without the FINA-approved tech suits...

All of this right before I went into the locker room, where I saw an older dude in the gang showers. Of course, I kept my head down and eyes averted, but that didn't keep me from seeing in my peripheral vision him really intensely soaping/scrubbing his a-hole. I've taken it easier on chain grease stains on my hands than this guy did to his backdoor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my gym has its fair share of guys who love to workout upstairs, get all good and sweaty and then come down to sit in the sauna (where the sweat continues).......and then jump in the pool for a couple minutes to "cool off". They then get back in the sauna and repeat the cycle between sauna and pool. It's just disgusting. Had an old timer today who was wearing his jammers from about 1970. They were dang near 100% see through. You just can't unsee some of this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your last sentence made me laugh out loud. Well done sir.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Not a strange pool denizen, but ocean (big pool... yuge pool)
One in our pod, Scott, is kind of a leader and is well known among marathon OW swimmers. He's also a bit of a prankster.
Sunday morning, we're all meeting at the cove to ocean swim and he's already there with two other swimmers out by the buoy -- 200 yards out. They're slowly making their way back in as we're lining up to enter. He starts yelling at us to come out. Being the prankster he is, we ignore him. One of the two swimmers is marginal, at best, while the other is hanging on to Scott. We just watch, thinking Scott has a new girlfriend or something. The first one makes it in and stumbles through the surf, breathing heavy and looking like she's eternally grateful for having her feet back on solid ground. Scott drifts in with the other woman, screaming at us why we didn't come in to help. "Cuz, you're a goofball, Scott!" He pushes the woman towards shore after prying her off of him (he's in 5 feet of water at this time). She freaks, tries to swim head up, gets pummeled by a small wave, but makes it to shore crying. As she passes me, I notice her Roka wetsuit is unzipped. But what's odd is, I can see she's wearing an Orca wetsuit underneath!
They got their stuff and left immediately. We ask Scott what that was all about. He said they called him to get a few pointers on OW swimming before they tackle Oceanside 70.3 coming in a couple of weeks. My jaw hit the sand. They are in no way going to be able to get through that surf there (It's now a beach start.) Shaw's Cove is way mild compared to Oceanside.

Two wetsuits - that might have been the problem - chest constriction starting a panic attack - one open to help her breath easier[might have been opened while they were already in the water after she presumably started to panic] (and the second underneath would still have been tight continuing this issue). People do need to practice in open water, and I do applaud the girls for at least thinking about practicing in somewhat close to race conditions. I would rather they practice before hand and not toe the startline with the comment "oh, this looks a little harder than a pool..." (Says the guy who didn't bother swimming for 4 months and then did a full :D)
The bigger question will be whether they try again before their race, if they try to get more pool practice before the race, or if they just rock up race morning and either say 'f#ckit, too rough' (on the clearest, smoothest water that oceanside has ever seen) - or go out and give the water safety people a bad day.

In other strange denizens sightings - This morning the was the middle aged lady in a shower cap doing breaststroke in the slow lane. No worries, I am just a little confused about why she wouldn't put her face in the water for her numerous laps (well, at least 3x50m in 30mins), considering she did have a set of goggles, worn on her forehead. (are they a fashion accessory?)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Off to the clinic. BAM 800mg of Motrin.

FTFY
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have "hanging upside down guy" who has a double snorkel, fins and every now and again he goes all out for a 25 and at the end of the length he turns in under the lane and hangs there for a while. Dunno if he's getting air through that double snorkel, but it looks ... interesting. Once he was hanging head down on the entry ladder, but he scared some old folks coming in so I think the guards told him off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy in the pool who I see already for years and who I greet sometimes because of that, says to me today:
„Haven‘t seen you for a while“
I answer
„Well, actually I was here regularly as normal“
He pauses a bit and says then:
„Ah, true, it‘s me who hasn‘t been here for a while“.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Apr 3, 19 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he missed you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I feel like this is common knowledge but who ever it was , and I know it was one of you...
THE BENCHES IN THE LOCKER ROOM ARE NOT FOR DOING BUTT NAKED BOX HOPS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get a wetsuit on over a wetsuit? That takes some talent.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Lots of lube?
I heard they both made the swim at Oceanside.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
len wrote:

Lots of lube?
I heard they both made the swim at Oceanside.

Once she moved down to one wetsuit she could move her arms well enough to swim haha

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To continue the thread I have to admit that at my age, I may have become one........
Quote Reply

Prev Next