Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two new denizens at the pool the other night. In the lap pool, not the warmer family pool, doing some kind of tae-bo water-dancing to the music playing. They kept it going for a good 20 minutes. It was entertaining, at least.

I got home and told my husband and his first response was, "are you sure they weren't screwing?" Yes honey, two dudes screwing in the shallow end to music for 20 minutes and the lifeguards never stepped in... now that would be a denizen for sure!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, this thread. I think of it every time I'm in the pool.
I keep seeing "The Frogger" if I swim in the morning before the AuquBiddies class.
Sinks to the bottom, kicks off from the bottom of the pool while doing a pseudo breaststroke with his arms, sink back down and repeat. He'll keep this up for at least an hour...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Recently discovered this thread which has kept me endlessly entertained all morning!

I encountered the Sits Too Damned Close lady the other day. An empty locker room, 8 rows of lockers, 4 long benches between. I'm parked midway on one, getting all organised to head to the pool. A woman walks in and does she park herself anywhere else in the room? Nope, she sits herself down right next to me. It's bad enough I'll probably have to share a lane with her, but ffs can't she exercise a bit of personal space courtesy and use any of the other 3 benches available?! Hmph. Gave her the stink eye.

That drives me nuts. I think there is a special denizen of the locker room..."can only use this exact locker every day guy." They come in about the same time, and it doesn't matter if there are all sorts of open lockers around, they go the one they always use regardless if there are 3 other people trying to use the same area.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Furiosa wrote:
Recently discovered this thread which has kept me endlessly entertained all morning!

I encountered the Sits Too Damned Close lady the other day. An empty locker room, 8 rows of lockers, 4 long benches between. I'm parked midway on one, getting all organised to head to the pool. A woman walks in and does she park herself anywhere else in the room? Nope, she sits herself down right next to me. It's bad enough I'll probably have to share a lane with her, but ffs can't she exercise a bit of personal space courtesy and use any of the other 3 benches available?! Hmph. Gave her the stink eye.

That drives me nuts. I think there is a special denizen of the locker room..."can only use this exact locker every day guy." They come in about the same time, and it doesn't matter if there are all sorts of open lockers around, they go the one they always use regardless if there are 3 other people trying to use the same area.

Admittedly I am *almost* this guy. I try to use the same locker every day. I get *slightly* annoyed if that one is taken but I will happily use one on either side. However if it's crowded with people near my favorite locker I will go to the other side and use a different one.

To be fair, I do this because it is easier on me when I just finish a really hard swim to not have to think about what locker I used, since it *should* be the same almost every day. If I have to use a different one then it is one more thing for my tired brain to remember. Yes I am weird like that :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Furiosa wrote:

Me too. Three benches. I drop my stuff in one corner of one bench. Shower. Come back to find just one other person in the locker room, sitting on my stuff or they dropped their stuff right over top of my stuff. Why? Whyyyyy?

Here's a new denizen(s) story. A morbidly obese couple swimming in the lane next to me. They were so big they were probably 1/10th of a lbs from being rascal bound because they'd be unable to walk. How wide is regulation lane. 2.5m? Each of them took up the entire width.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
spot wrote:
Furiosa wrote:

Me too. Three benches. I drop my stuff in one corner of one bench. Shower. Come back to find just one other person in the locker room, sitting on my stuff or they dropped their stuff right over top of my stuff. Why? Whyyyyy?

Here's a new denizen(s) story. A morbidly obese couple swimming in the lane next to me. They were so big they were probably 1/10th of a lbs from being rascal bound because they'd be unable to walk. How wide is regulation lane. 2.5m? Each of them took up the entire width.

This happened to me this morning. I take my hair stuff to the mirror to go fix my hair, leaving my stuff neatly contained in my bag on the end of a bench. Come back a minute later and this old dude has his shit all over my bag. WTF?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's better than what I read the first time I looked at your post. Remove the bold word

This happened to me this morning. I take my hair stuff to the mirror to go fix my hair, leaving my stuff neatly contained in my bag on the end of a bench. Come back a minute later and this old dude has his shit all over my bag. WTF?!?!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
spot wrote:
Furiosa wrote:

Admittedly I am *almost* this guy. I try to use the same locker every day. I get *slightly* annoyed if that one is taken but I will happily use one on either side. However if it's crowded with people near my favorite locker I will go to the other side and use a different one.

To be fair, I do this because it is easier on me when I just finish a really hard swim to not have to think about what locker I used, since it *should* be the same almost every day. If I have to use a different one then it is one more thing for my tired brain to remember. Yes I am weird like that :)

my reasoning -- i don't sneak up on myself in the mirror and get a fright
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I thought my pool was odd....a quirky little neighborhood pool in DC that features, most afternoons, two Chinese gentlemen who do weird non-swimming exercise at the end of the pool for about an hour, swim a few laps breast stroke...and then the real fun begins...they go off to the locker room showers with gallon milk containers turned into buckets...and spend at least 30 minutes in there showering, shaving, and LOUDLY clearing their sinuses and noses....I mean to the point where I can hear them from down in the pool....

....but that's nothing compared to what happened the other day...so there's another dude who genuinely frightens me...a large, hirsute fellow with really disturbing tattoos - not "born to die" type tattoos, but shaky, monochrome jailhouse work weird dragonflies everywhere...lotta of talking to nobody other than himself in the locker room, lotta sitting nekkid in the locker room staring off into space....most of the pool goers and I give him a very wide berth....so last night, I'm doing laps and he's one lane over...doing a weird side stroke with his head out of the water (oh, he's wearing his glasses in the pool...the sort of military/prison issue birth control numbers)....but I swim my swim and give him his space....as I'm coming back to the end, I look up to see three of DC's finest in uniform, near my lane. Now I know my stroke isn't the best, but I never thought of it as an arrestable offense. Turns out it wasn't...they were interested in glasses wearing tattoo guy...needless to say the rest of the swimmers are trying to appear to continue their workouts while also trying to figure out what's going on....I hear voices raised, the word "barred" said a few times, and possibly the word "pedophile" and eventually see the guy removed from the premises by the boys in blue. To his credit, the lifeguard respected the dude's privacy and wouldn't tell me what the deal was other than that the dude was barred from the pool.

All the weirdness aside, it's a great little neighborhood DC pool...lotta triathletes...but a lot of interesting local characters...everyone gets along, even when we're four to a lane...all the same, I was a little relieved to see this particular denizen of the pool out of the pool....
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tattoo guy is good, but more importantly what the hell are the Chinese guys doing with the chopped up milk jugs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I get back to DC, my hometown I try to swim at the new pool at my old high school. Wilson.

I have a memory of a Strange Denizen that's close to 40 years old. In '77-8, my family lived in Mexico City. We belonged to the CDI, which is the Mexican version of a JCC. I took swimming lessons there as a child, and now, all these years later, I'm still swimming. Anyway, the memory still shocks and is still a vibrant and extremely scary one. My dad and I were in the common shower area after swimming, when I said the 5-year-old version of "Holy Shit! That's a gorilla." My dad and I STILL talk about it to this day. He was the SINGLE HAIRIEST PRIMATE we had ever seen or have seen since, and I was an anthropology major in college. He had thick black hair on every single cm^2 of his body: shoulder, neck, back, everywhere but palms and soles. 5 o'clock shadow at 10:30am on a Sunday. He was walking upright, I'll give him that, and I suppose he was human, bc he was helping his son in the shower, but with all the steam, one could be forgiven for thinking he was an ape. Not even lying.

My current strange denizen is a piece of work. She's an Adult Onset Swimmer, about 3.5 years in and 60 years old. But she's the expert now, and claimed credit for my "improved turns" when she watched a video of my races at USMS nationals last year. When she's not telling me how to swim or giving me tips ("you really need to try this titanium bracelet that everyone was wearing at the National Senior Games, because you'll be more balanced"), she's making weird, clumsy, and harassing comments about what I'm wearing or what I should or shouldn't be eating. Cases in point: I wore a race shirt from a 5k road race that my wife's school sponsored. She made the comment that she knew it was my wife's shirt, because it "has booby marks on it." It is a fact that I have several tee-shirts at work in case she comments on what I wear. I've actually changed into slightly larger and less fitted shirts when she comments. Easter season is a perfect time for her to remind me to lay off the Cadbury Creme Eggs. The kicker is that she's a member and I'm the director and coach, so while I should tell her to knock it off, I'm always "trying to keep a customer focus." Also, I'm often too stunned to actually say something coherent, and truthfully, who wouldn't be if they were wearing a shirt and got comments about "booby marks"?

Regarding the titanium bracelet: I mentioned that I think it's complete hogwash, and besides, I have a titanium dental implant. That got me the response of "well, see? It works! You don't have to buy one!" The reason I've some USMS top-ten swims and a few local road race wins over the last several years is NOT because of my titanium implant, but 100% because I worked my ass off in training as a kid, and because I still do so now.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Whenever I get back to DC, my hometown I try to swim at the new pool at my old high school. Wilson.

I have a memory of a Strange Denizen that's close to 40 years old. In '77-8, my family lived in Mexico City. We belonged to the CDI, which is the Mexican version of a JCC. I took swimming lessons there as a child, and now, all these years later, I'm still swimming. Anyway, the memory still shocks and is still a vibrant and extremely scary one. My dad and I were in the common shower area after swimming, when I said the 5-year-old version of "Holy Shit! That's a gorilla." My dad and I STILL talk about it to this day. He was the SINGLE HAIRIEST PRIMATE we had ever seen or have seen since, and I was an anthropology major in college. He had thick black hair on every single cm^2 of his body: shoulder, neck, back, everywhere but palms and soles. 5 o'clock shadow at 10:30am on a Sunday. He was walking upright, I'll give him that, and I suppose he was human, bc he was helping his son in the shower, but with all the steam, one could be forgiven for thinking he was an ape. Not even lying.

My current strange denizen is a piece of work. She's an Adult Onset Swimmer, about 3.5 years in and 60 years old. But she's the expert now, and claimed credit for my "improved turns" when she watched a video of my races at USMS nationals last year. When she's not telling me how to swim or giving me tips ("you really need to try this titanium bracelet that everyone was wearing at the National Senior Games, because you'll be more balanced"), she's making weird, clumsy, and harassing comments about what I'm wearing or what I should or shouldn't be eating. Cases in point: I wore a race shirt from a 5k road race that my wife's school sponsored. She made the comment that she knew it was my wife's shirt, because it "has booby marks on it." It is a fact that I have several tee-shirts at work in case she comments on what I wear. I've actually changed into slightly larger and less fitted shirts when she comments. Easter season is a perfect time for her to remind me to lay off the Cadbury Creme Eggs. The kicker is that she's a member and I'm the director and coach, so while I should tell her to knock it off, I'm always "trying to keep a customer focus." Also, I'm often too stunned to actually say something coherent, and truthfully, who wouldn't be if they were wearing a shirt and got comments about "booby marks"?

Regarding the titanium bracelet: I mentioned that I think it's complete hogwash, and besides, I have a titanium dental implant. That got me the response of "well, see? It works! You don't have to buy one!" The reason I've some USMS top-ten swims and a few local road race wins over the last several years is NOT because of my titanium implant, but 100% because I worked my ass off in training as a kid, and because I still do so now.

it's the titanium. you know it is. next time she mentions "booby marks" say "check out my matching boner mark"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Now I know my stroke isn't the best, but I never thought of it as an arrestable offense."

That made me laugh out loud...

Quote | Reply
Believe me when I say there are no boners at all as it relates to her. She's the anti-boner.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea...there's a whole lotta shower time and the cut up gallon buckets are part of it. I thought perhaps they were homeless but they seem too well dressed. I think they just like to get really, really, really, clean after their brief workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
today's special was really splashy kick board guy.

a phenomenon, like Old Faithful proceeding majestically up and down the lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
LOUDLY clearing their sinuses and noses....I mean to the point where I can hear them from down in the pool....
There is a number of these denizens in locker room at my pool and it is sooooo disgusting. It used to also be a problem in the sauna but a sign was posted saying and I'm paraphrasing, "no spitting or hacking up stuff in here".
I wish they would also post it in the locker room.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently Iceland has its share of denizens.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, you beat me to it! This was the very next tab I opened after I saw the headline.
I'm posting it again anyway because the headline really is a thing of beauty:

'This is not a scrotum dryer': Swimming pools forced to put up signs forbidding men from using hair dryers on their privates in Iceland

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A pool banning men from using the hairdryers to dry their junk...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/swimming-pool-bans-men-from-using-hairdryers-on-their-nether-reg/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I haven't done this in a public place or locker room, I've given it a go before at home. I have to say...the boys feel much better warm, dry and toasty after a shower rather than damp cold. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/swimming-pool-bans-men-from-using-hairdryers-on-their-nether-reg/

Came here to post the same thing. Really needs the accompanying pic, though:

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Although I haven't done this in a public place or locker room, I've given it a go before at home. I have to say...the boys feel much better warm, dry and toasty after a shower rather than damp cold. :)

I tried that applied from a joke about 'warming up your breakfast' in response to the wife asking 'what are you doing?'. It worked!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this posted in response to that Iceland article.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Billabong wrote:

Came here to post the same thing. Really needs the accompanying pic, though:

Just sent that to the guy that runs our gym at work asking for it to be posted in the locker room. We have a serial offender.
Quote Reply

Prev Next