Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy showed up at the pool and bragged about how he was on YouTube because of his swim workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu33WSpbSk0
He did variations of this for 30-minutes.

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:
This guy showed up at the pool and bragged about how he was on YouTube because of his swim workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu33WSpbSk0

I got dizzy watching that...there must be an easier way to get from one end of the pool to the other ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
metafizx wrote:
went to a local pool to do a workout, schedule said "lap swim ONLY"

got in the one open lane and started my workout.

about 1/2 way through my swim, 2 large "floaters" appeared in the shallows....

hahaha until i got to the end i thought this was a new entry on the code brown theme above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:

getting on youtube is often not a good thing. certainly that's a good workout but maybe he could consider not hogging a lane to do that nonsense
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright here's a new one. I guess this goes in the insane helicopter parent category. Helicopter, hell this one's an Osprey.

She's raising hell with her kid's swim lesson program because she thinks the instructor should cover his "manboobs."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Alright here's a new one. I guess this goes in the insane helicopter parent category. Helicopter, hell this one's an Osprey.

She's raising hell with her kid's swim lesson program because she thinks the instructor should cover his "manboobs."

I think just plain ol' insane works here. Did she really mean to refer to his chest hair as pubic (she says 'public') hair?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

I think just plain ol' insane works here. Did she really mean to refer to his chest hair as pubic (she says 'public') hair?

I'm not sure. It's funny and bizarre either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:

This is like the aquatic version of this dude:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

Every swim instructor i have seen in Australia has a rash shirt on that says instructor across the back. It's a bit harsh that it's directed at one guy with manboobs though, being fat isn't illegal, but having a work uniform isn't a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

Would she be OK with it if the guy had a lean, sexy body? And if she is this upset by an instructor wearing trunks, I would love to see her response to a swim team in speedos.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the male nipple is a dangerous thing
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

Would she be OK with it if the guy had a lean, sexy body? And if she is this upset by an instructor wearing trunks, I would love to see her response to a swim team in speedos.

I think the only proper response to her is "go away. you're not wanted or welcome here" she's obviously used to whining her way to getting things her way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of attire does she expect people to wear in the pool? Burqas?

I mostly feel sorry for her daughter, who is now learning that a body is a thing to be shamed.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
I think the only proper response to her is "go away. you're not wanted or welcome here" she's obviously used to whining her way to getting things her way.

Arlington Parks and Rec basically took that approach and she threw a hissyfit that they "suck" and are "jerks".

She seems very well-balanced and not crazy at all. I'm sure she's also a pleasure to be around.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
What kind of attire does she expect people to wear in the pool? Burqas?

I mostly feel sorry for her daughter, who is now learning that a body is a thing to be shamed.

I feel sorry for her daughter for a whole host of reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I went for a swim during lunch and there were 2 younger guys in the lane next to me wearing scuba diving fins. They seemed to be trying to race me, but they got winded every 25 yards. In the other lane was a good IM swimmer that offered me advise, since I was a "try" athlete I should be swimming full laps with my head out of the water to sight better. Told her I'll give it a TRI =)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
So I went for a swim during lunch and there were 2 younger guys in the lane next to me wearing scuba diving fins. They seemed to be trying to race me, but they got winded every 25 yards. In the other lane was a good IM swimmer that offered me advise, since I was a "try" athlete I should be swimming full laps with my head out of the water to sight better. Told her I'll give it a TRI =)

swim ALL your laps like that? Did you respond but immediately putting on a snorkel and not bringing your head above water for 1000 yards? Do people really practice sighting that much? I see so many articles telling people to practice it. Sure I've practiced it, but not on any sort of ongoing frequency. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I just don't find that sighting is a huge issue for me. My issue is I'm a slow-ass swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
metafizx wrote:
went to a local pool to do a workout, schedule said "lap swim ONLY"

got in the one open lane and started my workout.

about 1/2 way through my swim, 2 large "floaters" appeared in the shallows....

hahaha until i got to the end i thought this was a new entry on the code brown theme above

yeah I should've "unleashed the baby ruth"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New lady at our masters swim this week. 40-50sh, fairly fit looking. Ask about what interval she wants to swim on - "oooh, no more than 2:00/100 (LCM), I'm just getting back into it and don't want to push it".

Ok, let's start and see how we feel. First set is 8-100s descend 1-4, 5-8. 1-4 she is holding good pace, but breathing heavily on the rest. On #5 (easy one before we start descending again) she flies by me by the wall (I arrived on 1:50, so with 15" rest, as she claimed later, that must have been a 1:35 for her). I'm a bit surprised, usually folks at our masters swim don't race each other in the same lane - but whatever, maybe she is an xCollegiate swimmer. Asks me if she can go ahead - sure, no problem.

Start descending 6, 7 and 8 - somewhere in the mid-to-low 1:40s - and I keep on her feet (no toe touching or anything, but I feel like I'm pretty close).

After the last one she asks if I can increase my send-off to give her a few more seconds as to not hang on her feet. Fine - whatever.

Then we get 6*100s at 1:55 and 4*100s at 1:50 - she still want to do those on 2 minutes (???!!!). I suggest I go ahead, and get a gold response - "I was giving you 15" and still beating you to the wall".

I ask why does not she go under 2 minutes then, and she says that she does not want to push it too much after her "break off swimming".

I end up going ahead, and we end up not interfering with each other too much, because I take shorter rest and pull away by about a length by the end of the sets.

After the workout she apologized (me too - to be nice). We have a pretty constant crew in our lane at masters (no one was ther that day though), and usually don't reshuffle the order too much, knowing who is usually faster/slower - so this behavior was a bit unusual, and as close as it comes to "drama" in lane of 30-50yo dudes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New denizen sighted at the original strange denizens pool!

Not sure what to name this guy. I was with my son at the Y on a Sunday, when it is pretty much just a pool to play in for kids for 4 lanes, a lap lane, and a swim lesson lane. As we got in, I noticed the dude in the lap lane hanging on in the deep end. He hung there for what seemed an eternity, so I mentally classified him as one of those folks who can barely swim, do 50 yards in about 2 minutes, then hang out at the wall for 5 minutes.

Later on I noticed him as headed out on an interval. Hmmm...had to reclassify him, as he looked really, really smooth. Upon further observation, damn smooth and pretty fast. Now my curiousity was piqued. I timed him as he did another interval...he hit 100 SCY in 1:16 encounter to a 200 yard interval (missed the total time because I was playing with my son), but I knew it had to pretty quick. He was still taking super long breaks at the wall, but this dude knew how to swim. He did one last interval, 100y in 1:10 and then hopped out. I was gobsmacked...he was wearing big baggy, super draggy shorts, and was kind of doughy and pale, yet he was laying down times that I'm nowhere near.

Maybe I'll just call him "waaaay faster than me guy."

Quote | Reply
I hate " way faster than me guy"
My pool is full of them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The youth swim team isn't on their summer schedule yet, so we were all starting at the same time this evening, but the coach said it was OK for me to take the far lane. I should have declined and spared my ego. On their very first laps they were zooming by me with kickboards and I was nowhere near keeping up doing "fast" repeats of freestyle using my arms AND legs. All I could do was laugh. I tried to make it a game: How many breaths can I keep up with the kids next to me? Answer: 1-2.

On the youth version of the Denizen thread, someone is posting about the "weird, slow older lady who showed up during our practice."

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chose the indoor pool this morning as opposed to the outdoor because of a chance of storms. I have the indoor pool to myself, there are three lanes. A lady who is a regular comes in and rather than take one of the open lanes plops into the lane I'm in and goes to work. Mind you I don't mind sharing a lane at all but it seemed really odd. As I'm leaving the lifeguard tells me that she refuses to swim in any other lane than that one as it's the marked "fast lane". She's a good swimmer but damn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a direct denizen of the pool, but what is with "won't use a locker guy"!?

The gym provides free lockers
Not all the lockers are full
Why must you stuff your nasty gym bag under the bench/on the counter/on the bench???
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coreyasaur wrote:
Not a direct denizen of the pool, but what is with "won't use a locker guy"!?

The gym provides free lockers
Not all the lockers are full
Why must you stuff your nasty gym bag under the bench/on the counter/on the bench???

A variation of this guy was at my pool last week. Except instead of stashing his bag, he just left all his clothes laying on the floor in front of my locker. Just kinda in a pile there, with his dirty tighty whities on top. I had to navigate around this stuff to get my locker opened... yech...
Quote Reply

Prev Next