Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a pleasant one. Swimming the other day. outdoor pool. I was the only one in the pool at that time. I hear a splash. Look over and there's a dog swimming in a lane. Owner then got in for a few minutes. I told owner his dog was probably faster than me. I think they were just jumping in to cool off.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
here's a pleasant one. Swimming the other day. outdoor pool. I was the only one in the pool at that time. I hear a splash. Look over and there's a dog swimming in a lane. Owner then got in for a few minutes. I told owner his dog was probably faster than me. I think they were just jumping in to cool off.

You've never been a guy to clean pool filters, right?
It's no so pleasant with all of the hair; and many dogs have more oils to put into the water.

Still, sounds like everyone had fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
You've never been a guy to clean pool filters, right?
It's no so pleasant with all of the hair; and many dogs have more oils to put into the water.

Still, sounds like everyone had fun.
Doggy swim is supposed to be at the end of the season.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
jdais wrote:
So I went for a swim during lunch and there were 2 younger guys in the lane next to me wearing scuba diving fins. They seemed to be trying to race me, but they got winded every 25 yards. In the other lane was a good IM swimmer that offered me advise, since I was a "try" athlete I should be swimming full laps with my head out of the water to sight better. Told her I'll give it a TRI =)

swim ALL your laps like that? Did you respond but immediately putting on a snorkel and not bringing your head above water for 1000 yards? Do people really practice sighting that much? I see so many articles telling people to practice it. Sure I've practiced it, but not on any sort of ongoing frequency. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I just don't find that sighting is a huge issue for me. My issue is I'm a slow-ass swimmer.

Yes, same here! If we started swimming faster we might have to learn to sight. This way I just follow the crowd in front of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [shaunylw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today me, two local elites tris, a swim coach, and two masters swimmers were joined in our lane by a dude who looked just like Ninja from Die Antwood. Chains, shorts and all. And he kept up!

http://images.nymag.com/...antwoord_250x375.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
Today me, two local elites tris, a swim coach, and two masters swimmers were joined in our lane by a dude who looked just like Ninja from Die Antwood. Chains, shorts and all. And he kept up!

http://images.nymag.com/...antwoord_250x375.jpg

Jealous. Me today: 2 clueless kids, 3 floating round people, and a few folks cooling off. In the clearly marked 50m "Fast" lane of 50m x 25y pool. At 102 degrees. Good day to practice butterfly with fins. Whap.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coreyasaur wrote:
Not a direct denizen of the pool, but what is with "won't use a locker guy"!?

The gym provides free lockers
Not all the lockers are full
Why must you stuff your nasty gym bag under the bench/on the counter/on the bench???

I have become that guy since my local ymca has had lockers get broken into. I was there once day when I guy came back from his workout to find his lock cut , locker tossed , phone, wallet and car keys gone. I am however very respectful of my space and put the small bag ( transition backpack bag) in a corner where I can see it, I don't spread all my stuff out all over the bench or table. A number of the other regular swimmers have begun to do the same at my pool. Sad but necessary.

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I've become a strange denizen of the pool with my gear bag. I have my gear bag with all my toys which I don't use every workout but it probably looks ridiculous to have them all. I'm sure people see me and think "oh geez. stupid triathlete"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost became a Strange Denizen of the Locker Room today!

After my swim at a pool I just started going to regularly, I noticed a curtained-off corner of the locker room. I assumed it was a changing area and started to strip down. Then I noticed the door to the parking lot in this "changing room."

I quickly realized that this was another entry to the locker room and the curtain wasn't there to provide a changing area, but to protect locker room-goers from flashing the parking lot when people enter from that door! It would have been quite the show. (I moved.)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I'm still new enough to swimming that this may be a magical "make you go faster permanently" drill rather than a "Strange Denizen", but: today the guy swimming in the lane next to me spent most of the workout swimming with a pull buoy shoved halfway down the front of his jammers.

All I know is that I will be purchasing my own pull buoy ASAP and not using the communal ones again.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other day a rather large guy was sitting on one of the pool deck chairs trimming his toe nails.. Really, you don't have time to do it at home??
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benroc wrote:
So, I'm still new enough to swimming that this may be a magical "make you go faster permanently" drill rather than a "Strange Denizen", but: today the guy swimming in the lane next to me spent most of the workout swimming with a pull buoy shoved halfway down the front of his jammers.

All I know is that I will be purchasing my own pull buoy ASAP and not using the communal ones again.

I normally hold the communal pull buoy in my mouth. Should I not do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not unless you're a Labrador retriever. Even then, not after what I saw today.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woman who swims to the T then stops, stands up, and turns around before swimming back, never touching the walls.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Swim_Bike_Rum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim_Bike_Rum wrote:
Woman who swims to the T then stops, stands up, and turns around before swimming back, never touching the walls.

The communal wall? I wouldn't touch it either.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
The other day a rather large guy was sitting on one of the pool deck chairs trimming his toe nails.. Really, you don't have time to do it at home??

My first rule of social interaction: never engage publicly in any personal grooming that can wait until you get home.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found via the DCRainMaker week in review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...wjuly-10th-2016.html

I think many of the folk described in the previous pages can be found in this photo... where's waldo style:

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After being a runner her whole life (and holding an U/9 long jump record for 40 years!), my wife has been swimming with me for the past few months (awesome!).
She mentioned to me the other day that a man was ducking down under the water for lengthy periods of time as she was approaching the wall. After she mentioned it to me, I remembered seeing him do it, but was unaware of where she was at the time (different lanes).
I have a fair idea what he was doing...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been that guy a few times and never thought about it being creepy! I've been working pretty hard on refining my stroke this year and will often pop my head under water during a rest interval to watch someone's stroke, in particular those who are faster than me. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old man doing backstroke while having a toothpick in his mouth the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:

My first rule of social interaction: never engage publicly in any personal grooming that can wait until you get home.

But that is the only time when toenails are soft enough to clip without busting out a hacksaw... ew.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a passel of denizens at the pool tonight.

As I was about to hop in I overheard someone say, "The pool is about 70% urine." Horrified, I almost called off my swim, but... I figured it was probably true whether I'd heard it or not.

Then I'm swimming along, minding my own business and some young guy swims UNDER me. I scream under water and pop up to yell at him, "You scared the shit out of me!" At least he apologized.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the 70% urine a South Park episode?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
There was a passel of denizens at the pool tonight.

As I was about to hop in I overheard someone say, "The pool is about 70% urine." Horrified, I almost called off my swim, but... I figured it was probably true whether I'd heard it or not.

Then I'm swimming along, minding my own business and some young guy swims UNDER me. I scream under water and pop up to yell at him, "You scared the shit out of me!" At least he apologized.

I ended up sharing a lane with a college swimmer a couple of weeks ago. He waved while swimming under me at a turn... while using a pull buoy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next