Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Maters dude I just shared a lane with who reminded me how bad my freestyle sucks by lapping me doing backstroke.

Then he switched to freestyle and that's when my goggles filled with tears.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Has "guy who rests his bare nut sack on the bench " been posted here yet?
Hope thats no one on here lol.

Where else would you rest it?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
The Maters dude I just shared a lane with who reminded me how bad my freestyle sucks by lapping me doing backstroke.

This sounds familiar.

About 10 years ago when I was in my 40's, I was passed like I was standing still by a woman in her mid-70's! Not a douchy move at all IMO. I take inspiration from her swim that there is always time to improve and that I hope to still be in Master's Swim Team (somewhere) showing the younger generation how it's done ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well id hope on a towel at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
S Train wrote:

This sounds familiar.

About 10 years ago when I was in my 40's, I was passed like I was standing still by a woman in her mid-70's! Not a douchy move at all IMO. I take inspiration from her swim that there is always time to improve and that I hope to still be in Master's Swim Team (somewhere) showing the younger generation how it's done ;-)

It's impressive when I see kids and adults with swimming backgrounds just effortlessly cut through the water. It's just looks so smooth. I'm glad there are people like me out there though just flailing around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I posted that many years ago when this epic thread first began. Finished a swim early one Saturday morning at the local Y and come back to my locker only to be greeted by a guy sitting so he's straddling the bench with his junk splayed out on it in front of him while he read his morning paper. Go home if you're going to do that.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A new one to me, a guy drying his underwear with the hair dryer, from the inside......eeuuuu!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
A new one to me, a guy drying his underwear with the hair dryer, from the inside......eeuuuu!

Why was his underwear wet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was heading to the spinning suit drying thing. Some asian dude cut me off and stuffed his soaking wet with sweat workout clothes in there and started the cycle. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he told me it was sweaty clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap, I hadn't even thought about that, I hope that maybe he just likes dryer warm underwear.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [C Senor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C Senor wrote:
I was heading to the spinning suit drying thing. Some asian dude cut me off and stuffed his soaking wet with sweat workout clothes in there and started the cycle. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he told me it was sweaty clothes.

That happens at my club all the damn time. WTF is wrong with people. There's even a sign that clearly states for wet swimsuits only.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a new one recently.

A mother will do laps while her daughter is in one of the nearby lanes for swim lessons. Not so bad by itself.

But afterwards, the daughter moves into the lap lane and the mom walks up and down the lane embracing the daughter (who looks about 8-10 years old) with the daughter's legs wrapped around her groin area.

I mentioned this to my wife who was also doing laps, and she said 'I thought they were a couple making out and thought "go get a room!""

Yuck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
S Train wrote:

This sounds familiar.

It's impressive when I see kids and adults with swimming backgrounds just effortlessly cut through the water. It's just looks so smooth. I'm glad there are people like me out there though just flailing around.

Yeah, totally agree with both of you. The guy was so fluid and graceful. I wanted to stop and watch to try and pick up tips, creeper-style.

It was inspiring, but also ego-crushing.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning an older gentleman wandered on deck naked. Well, not totally naked, he did have a sweat shirt draped over his shoulders. Poor guy looked like he could have dementia.

I pointed him out to the lifeguard, who quickly got him to go back into the change room. Poor guard, she was mortified.

And to be fair, I was the strange denizen wearing her glasses in the pool. When I do my rehab exercises I don't get my head wet and it's nice to see what's going on. Except when naked old dudes are wandering around, I could have done without that.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No joke. Be glad you don't have to use the men's locker room. It is horrifying.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
I've seen a new one recently.

A mother will do laps while her daughter is in one of the nearby lanes for swim lessons. Not so bad by itself.

But afterwards, the daughter moves into the lap lane and the mom walks up and down the lane embracing the daughter (who looks about 8-10 years old) with the daughter's legs wrapped around her groin area.

I mentioned this to my wife who was also doing laps, and she said 'I thought they were a couple making out and thought "go get a room!""

Yuck!

was she also breastfeeding?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old old guy in pool locker room standing there with a depends diaper........just. no.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Old old guy in pool locker room standing there with a depends diaper........just. no.

yeah cancer recovery is so not a good look
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few days ago, I saw 2 wanna be SEALs. Each tied their legs, and then their arms, together with belts and swan a length of the pool mostly underwater. I was impressed!

I bet its more a mental challenge. You need to trust yourself to be able to relax and then float to the surface to breath, then continue swimming underwater. Were I to try that, and panic, I might end-up in a mental institution...
Last edited by: rikasai: Jun 3, 16 18:41
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [rikasai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everytime I see this thread at the top of the page on days I swam I fear that the recent post is about me. It's as unhealthy as my stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Then there is the tall skinny old guy, thats me, in my speedo. My kids cant stand it when I put the speedo on. :o)

Dave

Option 2. Nothing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh the flexibility of youth. Kid at pool today probably sophomore or junior in high school walked out to the pool, stepped up on the starting block, dove in, 1 length of butterfly, hopped out did pushups, walked back to other end to do again. first, I can't do butterfly stroke. two, if I could I doubt my shoulders would be ready without some sort of serious warmup.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday morning the pool was cleared due to a "code brown."

I was highly unimpressed with the lifeguard response. The majority of pool users at this time are ESL seniors, overwhelming Chinese speaking. There was an elderly lady swimming down the lane straight to the mess and lifeguards kept asking her in English to get out. Seriously, have the presence of mind to ask one of the bilingual swimmers to communicate with her - the regulars are there every single day and frequently chat with the guards so they know who can and can't speak English well.

If the bulk of your patrons don't speak English well then you should have plans in place for dealing with that.

Okay, not so much a strange denizen, but a rant about the lifeguards.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a lack of training by management. These are the kinds of situations the operators should have a plan in place for.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went to a local pool to do a workout, schedule said "lap swim ONLY"

got in the one open lane and started my workout.

about 1/2 way through my swim, 2 large "floaters" appeared in the shallows...then drifted into my lane to cling to the side and float with their noodles chatting away. I swam around them on each lap...tolerating their intrusion, although they smelled bad, heavy sugary body odor masked with perfume from walmart, that spread all over the surface choking my every breath.

Then had more large floaters appearing in the shallows...although the new arrivals were more aggressive, had an old lady stand in the lane and bop me on the head as I came in to turn. I ignored for another lap and then got up...she wanted me to move out of "their" lane. I said "almost done, and you can float on the side with the other two" (hesitated to call them manatees) Well that didn't go well. Anyway I was able to get in another 200 m and that was it. The floaters won.

Apparently "lap swim" is a wide definition.
Last edited by: metafizx: Jun 8, 16 12:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next