Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Billabong wrote:

A pool banning men from using the hairdryers to dry their junk...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/swimming-pool-bans-men-from-using-hairdryers-on-their-nether-reg/

Came here to post the same thing. Really needs the accompanying pic, though:

scorchio
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Saw this posted in response to that Iceland article.

Brilliant!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I tried that applied from a joke about 'warming up your breakfast' in response to the wife asking 'what are you doing?'. It worked!

That, sir, is straight fire. I was on a video conference call when I read that...thanks.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:

I tried that applied from a joke about 'warming up your breakfast' in response to the wife asking 'what are you doing?'. It worked!

That, sir, is straight fire. I was on a video conference call when I read that...thanks.

We are pretty playful that way.....doesn't take much to find a reason;)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coreyasaur wrote:
Ahh, this thread. I think of it every time I'm in the pool.
I keep seeing "The Frogger" if I swim in the morning before the AuquBiddies class.
Sinks to the bottom, kicks off from the bottom of the pool while doing a pseudo breaststroke with his arms, sink back down and repeat. He'll keep this up for at least an hour...

This isn't where I thought you were going with the "Frogger" but this is good too. I thought you were going to mention the aged and/or overweight (read: very slow) patron trying to cross from a center lane to the outside to get to the ladder because they can't pull themselves out of the pool at the edge. I love watching them dodge the circle-swimming fish and tri club. It's just like the old Atari game.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local dick-and-fart-joke morning radio show just posted this to their Facebook page:

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After moving to the UK and new pool environment I finally have something to add to this great thread:

- pool opens at 6:30, I show up at 6:50, group of older guys is coming out of the pool and showering after swimming....WTF.. even assuming they walk into the gym at 6:30 the pace they shower/change in it would indicate they spend about 1-2 minutes "swimming".... I need to get to the pool earlier!

- "read a book naked" guy, after showering, sits down on bench to air dry and read a book, while facing the showers. Seems like an odd place and time (creepy) to dive into Faulkner....

- "bootie" girl. bootie referring to the weird sock she wears, not her body. seems to actively time her start/stops to interfere with others in the lane. should clearly be in the "medium" speed lane but only swims in the fast lane. regularly holding up 3-4 people with her need to do kicking drills... great, my workout just went from an hour to 1.5 hours...

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
My local dick-and-fart-joke morning radio show just posted this to their Facebook page:

Disturbing as that is it's not too far off from normal in the locker room of a YMCA

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has "guy who rests his bare nut sack on the bench " been posted here yet?
Hope thats no one on here lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Denizens" reminds me of those TV shows about Sasquatch. Its very serious stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got another one! Guy in the gutter lane adjacent to the dive tank. In this pool the dive tank is attached to the lap pool. Dive tank is shorter than the lanes, so this gutter lane starts off next to a wall like normal, then it opens up to the dive tank where a lane line is separating the lane from the dive tank, then wall again. And of course there are two corners where lane meets the dive tank. Hard to run into them because there is a lane line keeping people out of them. Like this: https://redtricom.files.wordpress.com/....jpg?w=640&h=480

So this guy was not a swimmer. He had goggle problems. They looked fine he probably couldn't get them adjusted. Left the goggles on the deck and proceeded to swim crawl with head above water, feet dangling down to the bottom, and his eyes closed. Drifted toward the wall of course, and smacked into the wall right at one of the corners.

I think just about everyone at the pool but him saw it coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New one for me last night. Walked into the locker room and immediately started gagging from the over bearing smell of cologne. It wasn't a sample from someone just applying it. This was like a cloud lingering. I was worried about getting in the pool because I thought it had become trapped on me and I would be accused of being the guy in the pool with the stinky cologne.

I don't know how anyone could spend more then 30 secs around who ever was wearing that.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to call the "Lots of Splash and Flailing, No Forward Progress Guy" the "Axe Murderer", due to the ferocity with which he attacks the water
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have clarified... someone sent it into the radio show after taking it in their local locker room, and the station posted it for all of us to enjoy. Funny how this thread immediately came to mind.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a pool denizen and maybe not a denizen at all. Maybe just a douche rocket...

OWS the other night. I'm fixing my goggles before starting another lap of the course. This guy ("Dude") is giving his swimming resume to his friend who is clearly a novice swimmer and looking somewhat apprehensive. Dude starts rattling off his lap times that he's already done while waiting for his friend to arrive. Full disclosure, they were good times. However, telling your newbie friend your times like they are somehow the goal is not very helpful.

Anyway, they agree to swim together with Dude pacing the newbie. Go! Dude takes off doing butterfly...in an OWS...while pacing his buddy.

Unfortunately for me, I tried to catch him to show him what was up and I couldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Dude takes off doing butterfly...in an OWS...while pacing his buddy.

Let's be clear, that was the douche move. The time bragging was douchey, but the butterfly was mega-douche.

At least he didn't do this in a pool swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Let's be clear, that was the douche move. The time bragging was douchey, but the butterfly was mega-douche.

I have seen butterfly done as a non-douche move once. My high school had a pool and sometimes for gym we would swim. Well the gym teacher goes up to one of my friend, who was not a trim fellow, and quietly tells him if he wants to swim in one of the side lanes that is OK, so he can grab onto the wall if he gets tired in the middle of the pool. Well apparently the gym teacher did not know that my friend was a very serious swimmer, swam varsity since freshman year and swam in a league the rest of the year. So my friend gets in the pool and just does a 100 yard fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got a better douche rocket

i'm swimming in our local pool in the "fast lane" by myself for over 50 minutes. there are a couple of other (slow and medium) lanes open with one or two swimmers in them.

i see two guys on deck standing at the end of my lane getting ready. I recognize one of the guys as a not fast swimmer and ask them if they're joining my lane and they said yes. my next swim set is 6 x 50 intervals so rather than try and swim with two guys, i give up my lane and move to the medium lane where i split the lane with the one swimmer.

i start my intervals and one guy starts swimming in the fast lane while the other (slow) guy sits on the deck. i'm too busy trying to get oxygen to pay any attention to them. once i'm done my set, i take a rest only to hear the guy sitting on the deck giving instructions to the guy swimming (talk about the blind leading the blind). they guy in the water is unbelievably slow and horrible form.

i really really wanted to ask them why they chose the fast lane to learn how to swim when there were other lanes open. sadly i'm pretty sure they were both triathletes. the one guy in the water had a garmin 910 and kept checking his time after every 50 m (must have been at least 3 minutes per 50) and the other guy on deck had a biker's tan
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Meathead wrote:
DJRed wrote:

I have seen butterfly done as a non-douche move once. My high school had a pool and sometimes for gym we would swim. Well the gym teacher goes up to one of my friend, who was not a trim fellow, and quietly tells him if he wants to swim in one of the side lanes that is OK, so he can grab onto the wall if he gets tired in the middle of the pool. Well apparently the gym teacher did not know that my friend was a very serious swimmer, swam varsity since freshman year and swam in a league the rest of the year. So my friend gets in the pool and just does a 100 yard fly.

That's awesome! If I've learned anything in triathlon it's that you can't underestimate based on size and how "fit" somebody looks.

Just this past weekend, I did a sprint. The water was cold so wetsuits ruled the day. There was, however, one guy in the entire group not wearing one. He was a very un-trim maybe 280/300 pounds. One other competitor noticed and started making a big deal over how cold it was and that this guy wasn't wearing a wetsuit. Me? I'm feeling sorry for the guy figuring he probably isn't wearing a wetsuit because they don't come that big. And good for him for being out there and getting in the game.

Gun goes off and I have a great swim (for me anyway). Probably 1:30/100 yds over a quarter mile. I come hellin' out of the water sprinting to transition because it's time to get to work and about halfway up the swim exit path I have to pass the "unfit" guy who beat me out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a strange denizen unfortunatly. Im the guy with the horrible flip turn. Usually flip too early so I miss the wall and cant push off wich leaves me dead in the water like an idiot for a couple seconds till I pick up momentum again. Embarressing! I usually try and practice on the far end were no one will see. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not a denizen, just a triathlete. Be proud!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol ! I feel better thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
You're not a denizen, just a triathlete. Be proud!

Went for a quick lunch swim today and ended up sharing a lane with a guy who was wearing a swim cap from some race. I couldn't tell which race because he still had his race number stuck to it.

We get it. You're a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you try flip turns.

Less of a strange denizen and more of my own personal ongoing awkward interactions with people. Small pool. One lane is open. I see first lane is occupied by elderly woman with snorkel slowly turtling her way down the lane. Clearly she won't be sharing a lane if someone else shows up. Anyway, I take open one start my workout. Another women showa up asks to share lane. I say sure. I ask if she wants to circle swim. A look of complete blankness come across her face. I explain it to her and explain if the pool is busy more than 2 people can share a lane by circle swimming. We split the lane. I will give props to a dude in one lane by himself who was swimming on right side of lane clearly knowing someone would come and want to share.
Quote Reply

Prev Next