Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
dudebros. lol

My latest one is a very marginal strange denizen as is not THAT strange but slightly odd. It’s a guy maybe mid 20s. Always these crazy pattern orange trunks. He’s always good about rinsing in the poolside shower before getting in which is considerate. But his swimming mostly involves swimming to the bottom of the pool right along the bottom for at last half the length of the pool then leisurely freestyle or backstroke swimming the rest of the way. This doesn’t seem to happen for longer than 15 minutes max. I’m not sure if it’s a cool down or just a relaxation thing but it’s sort of interesting.

Yeah, I've got one of those at my pool. Except he wears yellow knee length trunks, and is probably 14. He seems to spend about the same 15 minutes trying to swim as far across the pool as possible along the bottom. Comes up gasping for air, with no awareness of anyone he might be sharing a lane with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we go to Dillon, CO, for summer vacation, there's a little bar we frequent where the local ski- and MTB-bums hang out in the evening. Our unofficial name for it is "Dude-Bros"

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 13, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
Don't forget equipment guy. He/she arrives at the pool deck with a duffle bag of goodies - from two pairs of fins to paddles to three bottles and four extra googles. Somehow, there is also a rake and a 50 pound bag of chicken feed in there, too.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

If this has been discussed in the 101 pages we have seen so far, i apologize, but has anyone been in a lane with Navy SEAL guy? Usually looks like he can do a million pushups and pullups, wears oddly short shorts (but not briefs) and does that combat sidestroke. A lot. At the YMCA I swam at (just outside of DC), this guy crushed it (from both sides) and I swear he was beating folks doing freestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
When we go to Dillon, CO, for summer vacation, there's a little bar we go to where the local ski- and MTB-bums hang out in the evening. Our unofficial name for it is "Dude-Bros"

What bar? I find myself in Dillon fairly often (and in fact will be there next week)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [PatMcNichol61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PatMcNichol61 wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
Don't forget equipment guy. He/she arrives at the pool deck with a duffle bag of goodies - from two pairs of fins to paddles to three bottles and four extra googles. Somehow, there is also a rake and a 50 pound bag of chicken feed in there, too.

If this has been discussed in the 101 pages we have seen so far, i apologize, but has anyone been in a lane with Navy SEAL guy? Usually looks like he can do a million pushups and pullups, wears oddly short shorts (but not briefs) and does that combat sidestroke. A lot. At the YMCA I swam at (just outside of DC), this guy crushed it (from both sides) and I swear he was beating folks doing freestyle.

Lately I've been bringing a lot of gear to the pool. my own kickboard (it is less floaty than the standard issue ones), pullbuoy, fins, snorkel, paddles and ankle band. And I usually have 1 or 2 spare goggles and suits in my bag.

No chicken feed though...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
gary p wrote:
When we go to Dillon, CO, for summer vacation, there's a little bar we go to where the local ski- and MTB-bums hang out in the evening. Our unofficial name for it is "Dude-Bros"

What bar? I find myself in Dillon fairly often (and in fact will be there next week)

The Pub in the basement of the Arapahoe Cafe. It's our favorite little spot to grab a couple drinks and play a few hands of cards.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
g_lev wrote:
gary p wrote:

The Pub in the basement of the Arapahoe Cafe. It's our favorite little spot to grab a couple drinks and play a few hands of cards.

Hah... been there many times. And I 100% agree with your assessment of the clientele.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
PatMcNichol61 wrote:
NJSteve wrote:

Lately I've been bringing a lot of gear to the pool. my own kickboard (it is less floaty than the standard issue ones), pullbuoy, fins, snorkel, paddles and ankle band. And I usually have 1 or 2 spare goggles and suits in my bag.

No chicken feed though...

No chicken feed? Amateur.

=)

During the summer, my wife and I share a gear bag; but I spend a lot more time solo in the pool.

On the bright side, I also have a lot of pink stuff...
Last edited by: PatMcNichol61: Mar 13, 19 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what do you call a female "dudebro"

Pretty sure I had one of those at my swim this morning. Had fins of course, key component. Just did Paddle board work with her fins and had her shades and trucker hat on. Did like side Paddle Board work...was all really strange.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Pretty sure I had one of those at my swim this morning. Had fins of course, key component. Just did Paddle board work with her fins and had her shades and trucker hat on. Did like side Paddle Board work...was all really strange.

Saaaay, wut?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...it was weird.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

outdoor or indoor pool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outdoor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Yeah...it was weird.

Mehhh if I knew I had a long session in the water where I wouldn't be putting my head under I'd probably do the same-sun can do a lot of damage to your eyes and skin..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s slightly less weird but still weird. At hat indoors would have been really weird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I typically get to the pool about 4:15 AM(which I understand is both unnatural and crazy) and usually only experience swimmers I would classify as serious/dedicated. Not all of them are great swimmers(including me) but they usually aren't there to swim for 15 minutes or stand at the wall for 5 minutes between 25 yard sets. I mean who gets to the pool that early unless they have specific goals in mind(and are a little unbalanced)?

So this morning, after a 500 yard warmup it's about 4:30ish and I look at the hot tub(which is a good size hot tube, maybe 15 feet across) and I see a guy with his prescription glasses on swimming "laps" in the hot tub(yes 1-2 strokes from side to side). Now understand the water is about 103 F first of all and its 15 feet long. Plus there are probably 5 completely open lanes in the lap pool. So I start my workout and as I complete another set I notice the same guy has now been standing in the hot tub with his face submerged(glasses still on). This goes on for about 45 seconds(I should continue my workout but I can't turn away). He comes up for a breath and immediately sticks his face(with glasses on) into the water AGAIN! Between each set I notice he continues to do this for another 20-25 minutes. Then I finished a set and he's gone.

My only thought is maybe this is some kind of heat acclimation thing? But why the glasses?

------------------------------------------------
Fight............Finish
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago there was a sort of heavy lady at my health club that swam with a flipper that was basically a big swim fin that she could both feet in. She told me she had some kind of mermaid gig going on and she was practicing. She would do this sort of slow dolphin kick and submerge and then surface for a breath,like a whale.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NJ Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has been going on for years and it's great. Other Strange Denizens...threads have come and gone, but this lives on. Why are there so many misfits and weirdos at the pool?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want see some characters, go up to the weight room.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for other misfits and weirdos but I go to get my swim workout in:) Seriously I don't know. I think a lot of people don't have much of a social filter but it's not as evident in other public places(malls, grocery stores, etc) because they have been 'socialized' in those environments their whole lives. But get them half naked in an environment they've never learned or been taught norms and they act, for them, 'normal'.

------------------------------------------------
Fight............Finish
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Katy wrote:
3) "Saggy Swim Suit Guy/Gal"-chlorine is hell on Lycra; some folks just don't seem to notice (or care).

Another deviation is the worn thin suit guy. We can all see his crack because his suit leaves nothing to the imagination.

Or refuses to size up guy who's jammers don't contain him creating a pencil holder in the back. AKA Crackie Chan
In Reply To:
When I first started swimming, I was using a traditional shorts type bathing which was getting super bleached out from all the chlorine. Well, one day I was swimming, the pool loaded kids and miscellaneous people, and feel something dragging and dangling berween my legs, so I stop to see what is going on, and my suit had fallen apart like tissue paper. Fortunately, it had the built in underwear deal, so it saved all the onlookers from undue trauma, but I had to climb out of the pool while trying to hold the thing together with one hand, and slink to the locker room. Just a cautionary tale not to push a worn out suit too far.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Digger262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot tubs are disgusting. People Stew. I wouldn't get in one unless I knew I was the first one in there after a regularly-scheduled drain-refill cycle, with balanced chemicals. I know too much about what's in that water.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot tub story -years ago one of my business clients invited my bride and I - on a 4 day cruise out of Miami. It was Spring Break... the ship had two huge hot tubs on the upper deck and was always full of College kids drinking and having fun.

My Client asked me,' You been in the hot tub yet?' My Response - - there are 40 men and women in each hot tub - they are all drinking beer etc, they have all been in there for at least an hour, and no one has got out'..... :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [NJ Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool where I swim has the weight room on the other side of a wall of windows. I see all kinds of weirdos in there.

There are several guys who walk around in that body-builder pose: arms stiff out in front "because their lats are so huge."

Dudes popping poses in the mirror.

A woman who lifts and practices her club dance moves in between sets, while looking at her reflection in the mirrors.

All of the "look at me" stuff going on in there has lots in common with many in the triathlon community.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urine in the hot tub is just ONE of the worries... Consider that the volume is much smaller than that of a lap pool, people seldom/never shower before getting in after working out, and the temperature is much higher, then let your imagination run wild...

...Put another way: I'd probably swim face-down in the Hudson River before I got into a hot tub...
Quote Reply

Prev Next