Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shared a lane today with mega-splash flip turn guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:

I had to learn how to be that guy. The gym right by my house has a large outdoor pool open only 3 months and only allow a single lap lane. Several people like to think that the lane line is solely there to protect them from other pool users. Most people choose to just swim indoors instead of deal with it. I'll swim around them, but a couple guys will purposely slide over and stand as spread-eagled as possible. I'm not being forced indoors on a beautiful day because 1-2 people insist the single lap lane in a huuuge pool is for standing in. They get the depth charge flip turn. You would never purposely block or stick your leg out at somebody on a bike path, the pool shouldn't be any different. There's literally 95% of the outdoor pool left to hang out in.

If somebody is in the lane and moving, I always make it a point to stop and talk to them, ask if they want to borrow goggles or be my pen pal. Swimmers got to stick together when you're at a huge gym that can't figure out lap swim times and explicitly bans lap swimming on the weekends. The weirdos that purposely sit in the lane designated for lap swimming deserve to be reminded that it's for people trying to exercise and the other 95% is for peeing and skeezing on underage girls.

Hmm, I ranted a little harder than expected. I usually just check this thread to see if I'm the strange denizen.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

I had to learn how to be that guy. The gym right by my house has a large outdoor pool open only 3 months and only allow a single lap lane. Several people like to think that the lane line is solely there to protect them from other pool users. Most people choose to just swim indoors instead of deal with it. I'll swim around them, but a couple guys will purposely slide over and stand as spread-eagled as possible. I'm not being forced indoors on a beautiful day because 1-2 people insist the single lap lane in a huuuge pool is for standing in. They get the depth charge flip turn. You would never purposely block or stick your leg out at somebody on a bike path, the pool shouldn't be any different. There's literally 95% of the outdoor pool left to hang out in.

If somebody is in the lane and moving, I always make it a point to stop and talk to them, ask if they want to borrow goggles or be my pen pal. Swimmers got to stick together when you're at a huge gym that can't figure out lap swim times and explicitly bans lap swimming on the weekends. The weirdos that purposely sit in the lane designated for lap swimming deserve to be reminded that it's for people trying to exercise and the other 95% is for peeing and skeezing on underage girls.

Hmm, I ranted a little harder than expected. I usually just check this thread to see if I'm the strange denizen.

The splashy flip turn is a way to send a message. Trust me that swimmer can flip with very little splash if they want to.

When I'm splitting a lane with one of the "don't get my hair wet" breaststrokers, I typically try to minimize the flip turn splash and soft flutter my kick when I pass. However, If they are being a jerk; after the second time I get kicked in the ribs because they are swimming down the center of the lane and kicking wide (1st time is probably an accident), my passing kick becomes a strong 8-beat and my calves hit the water like cannon balls on flip turns for a lap or two.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 28, 16 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
benroc wrote:
So, I'm still new enough to swimming that this may be a magical "make you go faster permanently" drill rather than a "Strange Denizen", but: today the guy swimming in the lane next to me spent most of the workout swimming with a pull buoy shoved halfway down the front of his jammers.

All I know is that I will be purchasing my own pull buoy ASAP and not using the communal ones again.

I normally hold the communal pull buoy in my mouth. Should I not do that?

I carry my own pull buoy with my name sharpied on it on both sides.

Lifeguard collected it a few times and dropped it into the pull buoy bin. It's a PITA because I had to get out of the water and search the bin for it.

And this one time a cute girl took it while I wasn't using it, and swam with it stuffed into her top. How? Why? I still have that same pull buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
benroc wrote:
So, I'm still new enough to swimming that this may be a magical "make you go faster permanently" drill rather than a "Strange Denizen", but: today the guy swimming in the lane next to me spent most of the workout swimming with a pull buoy shoved halfway down the front of his jammers.

All I know is that I will be purchasing my own pull buoy ASAP and not using the communal ones again.

I normally hold the communal pull buoy in my mouth. Should I not do that?

I carry my own pull buoy with my name sharpied on it on both sides.

Lifeguard collected it a few times and dropped it into the pull buoy bin. It's a PITA because I had to get out of the water and search the bin for it.

And this one time a cute girl took it while I wasn't using it, and swam with it stuffed into her top. How? Why? I still have that same pull buoy.

Obviously she just wanted something of yours to be close to her heart but was too afraid to ask.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Lol! I thought for a second you were gonna bust out the all caps. Id be pissed too. Luckly Im fortunate to swim at a pool dedicated for laps only. And its rarely full to the point were you have to share a lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Midtown Miles wrote:
There was a passel of denizens at the pool tonight.

As I was about to hop in I overheard someone say, "The pool is about 70% urine." Horrified, I almost called off my swim, but... I figured it was probably true whether I'd heard it or not.

Then I'm swimming along, minding my own business and some young guy swims UNDER me. I scream under water and pop up to yell at him, "You scared the shit out of me!" At least he apologized.

I ended up sharing a lane with a college swimmer a couple of weeks ago. He waved while swimming under me at a turn... while using a pull buoy.

Last few weeks I've been swimming with my kids' summer swim coach, a current D1 swimmer who was our team's star before he went to college (side note - 5am outdoor swimming kills indoor laps this time of year).

Because I have an IM coming up he's been putting together workouts with some longer sets - 500s, 1000s - which he invariably finishes before me. It always amazes me to see him killing the extra time by dolphin kicking laps underwater in the next lane, at what seems to be about twice my freestyle pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

I swim at a membership based rec pool in the summer with a similar setup, one lane line up for lap swims. Because I'm a bitch, I just walk up to the people hanging out in the lane and twll them that it's for lap swimmers and they need to move over to the other side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

Highlighted text + user name

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The head-above-water breaststroke championships must be in Raleigh, NC soon. Seems everybody at my pool is training for it.

The other day I was facing the lane rope in the outside lane getting ready to start my main set. Some overly perfumed lady walked up behind me and must have cannon balled into my lane and started her head up breaststroke right down the center of the lane. Never said a word to me. I decided to ruin that hairdo bc she pissed me off. Hard kicks and splashy flip turns were on order.

If she simply would have asked instead of swamping me with her oh so elegant water entry I would have given her the whole lane and split with my wife in the lane beside me.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Because I'm a bitch, I just walk up to the people hanging out in the lane and twll them that it's for lap swimmers and they need to move over to the other side.
I don't think it's being too bitchy if they have the whole rest of the damn pool to drink their daquiris in. My outdoor pool is at a private club so many of the members are hoity-toity, and I have no problem telling them "I'll share this lane with you, but I'm going to swim in this half."

The real question is why does the pool staff only designate ONE lane for lap swimming?

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
The real question is why does the pool staff only designate ONE lane for lap swimming?

Honestly, I totally get it for a pool that's mostly kids and hanging out. There's water slides, splash pads and a zillion lounge chairs. It's jam packed on the weekends from 11a-dinnertime. Especially when two of the entrances/exits are in that one edge lap lane, I agree with not having any lap lanes available at that time. It's the no lap swim before 7a, nothing outdoors under 68 degrees, and zero lap swim on weekend mornings that gets me.

It's hard to get too demanding when that same gym is the primary sponsor of the multisport club that I'm on the board for and also helps us put on multiple events during the year. Even less than ideal conditions and going to work an hour late is soooo much better than being indoors for our limited warm months in Northern IL.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
The head-above-water breaststroke championships must be in Raleigh, NC soon. Seems everybody at my pool is training for it.

Maybe the national championship, but world championship is probably in Warsaw. It was amazing, 6 lanes, at least 3 people in each lane, and over 75% of people doing head above water breast stroke. Every time I swam, it was packed (and there were a decent amount of lap swim hours a day available and a good amount of pools for city). It just amazed me that swimming was both that popular, but also people could only do heads up breast stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:

The other day I was facing the lane rope in the outside lane getting ready to start my main set. Some overly perfumed lady walked up behind me and must have cannon balled into my lane and started her head up breaststroke right down the center of the lane. Never said a word to me. I decided to ruin that hairdo bc she pissed me off. Hard kicks and splashy flip turns were on order.

If she simply would have asked instead of swamping me with her oh so elegant water entry I would have given her the whole lane and split with my wife in the lane beside me.

I used to swim in a pool where an older guy with a shirt and hat on, understandable if you're just keeping sun off, would super slowly breaststroke in a lane. honestly is was more like slow sculling. really he was just floating around. there really was no need for him to take a lane. he could just float around in the rec swim area.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I swim at LifeTime fitness. There are two indoor pools (one cold for laps and one warmer for aerobics and such), an outdoor lap pool, and outdoor fun pool. Yet they always tend to end up in the way.

Thankfully the lifeguards are pretty good about keeping kids out of the lap lanes.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Erin C. wrote:
Because I'm a bitch, I just walk up to the people hanging out in the lane and twll them that it's for lap swimmers and they need to move over to the other side.
I don't think it's being too bitchy if they have the whole rest of the damn pool to drink their daquiris in. My outdoor pool is at a private club so many of the members are hoity-toity, and I have no problem telling them "I'll share this lane with you, but I'm going to swim in this half."

It's your typical community pool. 5 lanes, has a kids swim team. Not a whole lot of lap swimmers, mostly families with kids. It works good enough for me. Hours are much than the muni pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was the denizen today, busting my ass on the last of a set of 100 sprints I actually got tunnel vision, never had that before in the pool. I actually completely lost track of where I was up to in reference to the wall, oblivious to the line on the bottom and flags above. Slammed into the wall, middle finger has swelled up nice and black!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
I was the denizen today, busting my ass on the last of a set of 100 sprints I actually got tunnel vision, never had that before in the pool. I actually completely lost track of where I was up to in reference to the wall, oblivious to the line on the bottom and flags above. Slammed into the wall, middle finger has swelled up nice and black!
Lol! My right hand ring finger has been sore going on four months now from the exact same thing , jammed knuckles aint no joke!
The only one that saw it happen though was "oriental guy in tighty whiteys".
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speaking of which

it's probably been said before,but it bears repeating because these people just don't learn

white lycra swim trunks are way too much information
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:

Might wanna see a doc about that. I've jammed my fingers many dozens of times, mostly playing basketball, some swimming. After so many, and it may have been one specific one - I just don't remember; I have a torn ligament in my ring finger. That knuckle is almost two sizes bigger than the one on the other hand. Some loss of range of motion, and it can move in weird ways that weren't originally in the design.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I dont know who it is or how there doing it but someone is drawing giant penis renditions at the bottom of the pool right in the blue stripe. Totally throws me off my game about 5 meters from the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:

?? what some refer to as a "seeing red mist" all out effort

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw something that made me think of this topic.

I got to the pool 5 minutes before lap swim start. No one in the pool yet. Found a guy showering in the locker room, wearing board shorts. He leaves the locker room, wet and in board shorts. I follow 30 seconds later expecting to find him swimming in the pool. But no, he wasn't in the pool or anywhere on the pool deck. This piqued my interest so I kept looking for him but he never showed up. Dude walked out of the locker room wearing nothing but board shorts, and just disappeared? It was 30F outside so it isn't like he left in wet board shorts.

Then 45 minutes later I finish the swim and go to the locker room. Found a different guy showering and I'm 100% certain he wasn't in the pool. I know everyone at the swim meet. Okay so he's just starting? Then he, still buck naked, puts on a super comfy bathrobe and walks out of the locker room with nothing under the bathrobe. I follow in a minute to go to work.... and this dude is also gone.

What....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Saw something that made me think of this topic.

I got to the pool 5 minutes before lap swim start. No one in the pool yet. Found a guy showering in the locker room, wearing board shorts. He leaves the locker room, wet and in board shorts. I follow 30 seconds later expecting to find him swimming in the pool. But no, he wasn't in the pool or anywhere on the pool deck. This piqued my interest so I kept looking for him but he never showed up. Dude walked out of the locker room wearing nothing but board shorts, and just disappeared? It was 30F outside so it isn't like he left in wet board shorts.

Then 45 minutes later I finish the swim and go to the locker room. Found a different guy showering and I'm 100% certain he wasn't in the pool. I know everyone at the swim meet. Okay so he's just starting? Then he, still buck naked, puts on a super comfy bathrobe and walks out of the locker room with nothing under the bathrobe. I follow in a minute to go to work.... and this dude is also gone.

What....?

Somewhere in that locker room is a interdimensional portal to the set of Boogie Nights?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
What....?

Fellow #1 is a shy non-lap swimmer who can change quicker than lightning
Fellow #2 has hot-water issues at home

. . . or there's a Boogie Nights party in the utility closet
Quote Reply

Prev Next