Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, bluetooth and smart notifications (which I really like BTW).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to read upside down. Is that the Australasian version?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only we had known.... I'm thinking DCR gave us a sneak preview on Sep 17th.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a Garmin 620 not a 920XT he is wearing
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, so it would. I had never taken note of the 620 before.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the timer option for this. Every 7 min on the bike leg my Garmin alerts me to drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [antialias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
antialias wrote:
Have had mine for a week now and the first impression is that this is an awesome device. However, there are some issues
  • bluetooth connectivity to phone is too unstable. I have to pair several times a day, which makes the feature useless. My Phone is an LG G3 with Android version 4.4.2. Reading this thread, it seems like iPhones are doing quite well, whereas some Android phones have issues here.
  • too bulky to use as a day watch IMO. I haven't used a daywatch for years though, so might just be my unfamiliarity with using a daywatch.

I Hope that an updated Android version fix some of the bluetooth-problems

Samsung S5 - paired once a fortnight ago and thats it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett, I thought you were a big Ambit fan. What made you switch ? How do you compare the two ?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ambit is great, so it was mostly just wanting to have fun with a change. The 920 was the perfect storm of features and timing to hop over. Things always change and should. Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and Timex all battling it out is feeding the athlete with constant improvements. It's fun to watch for sure. The 920 has a ton of features, but the Ambit's build quality, looks, and lack of bugs is also stellar. I've been with Suunto for so long, but also want to cover all the cool tech in the Garmin on the show!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
The Ambit is great, so it was mostly just wanting to have fun with a change. The 920 was the perfect storm of features and timing to hop over. Things always change and should. Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and Timex all battling it out is feeding the athlete with constant improvements. It's fun to watch for sure. The 920 has a ton of features, but the Ambit's build quality, looks, and lack of bugs is also stellar. I've been with Suunto for so long, but also want to cover all the cool tech in the Garmin on the show!

Hey Brett!! It's brilliant to see you here, you are like a celebrity to me! I've been listening to your podcasts since the very first one. It's taken me a couple of years!

Back on topic, I got my 920XT a week ago and I love it. I sold on ebay my garmin swim, forerunner 610 and edge 810, which raised more than enough to fund the 920 with the 25% discount for british triathlon federation members. ;-)

My favourite features are of course having a tri watch for the first time, open water swimming, and smart notifications. What I miss the most from my previous combo is the navigation features of the edge.

The other day I was at the pool and my watch kept vibrating because it was connecting to my phone which was inside a locker in the locker rooms pretty far away and with a few walls in between. Insane!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Brett, I thought you were a big Ambit fan. What made you switch ? How do you compare the two ?

To answer your question more specifically, the big things you notice first are the drop in weight, vibrate motor, live tracking, and wireless uploads. Those are the kinds of things that simplify life and make things easier.

The 920 doesn't keep bluetooth alerts on the screen long enough, the no laps and no lock during a triathlon is no good, and the lack of setting backlight timeout for the normal watch mode had me really pissed the other night. I'm also suspicious that connecting to another Garmin (510) with the phone app breaks the current one's and you have to re-establish. That's going to get old. And Garmin Connect's layout is too weird and runs on feelings, rainbows, and the Force instead of actual clickable things that make sense. That could be just because I'm 41 and not 8, though.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [erpetao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erpetao wrote:
Hey Brett!! It's brilliant to see you here, you are like a celebrity to me! I've been listening to your podcasts since the very first one. It's taken me a couple of years!

What are you doing after this? Want to go get some beers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
erpetao wrote:

What are you doing after this? Want to go get some beers?

I'd love to!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

live tracking

I can see an episode....the training log :

Emily : Hey Kai, dinner is ready. Where's your dad ?
Kai : I think he went running, let me check online with his live tracking.....He's at Freebird's
Emily : Again !!!! ?

Kai being the smart, good kid he is, sends a smart alert to Dad's watch. "Dad you are in deep doodoo, mom made your favorite dinner".

Brett being the great husband he is, gets home "Man I'm hungry" (despite his 3 burritos and 2 amaretto bars), eats the dinner and avoids the wrath of the Zen nurse

Saved by the 920 and Kai.
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 12, 14 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was informed just last night that all I do is eat and nap with my laptop under my arm with burrito wrappers laying around, so you're probably not too far off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, found another issue with the 920 that might help people. It looks like it won't connect to my home WiFi because it keeps changing the stored password. When I reconnect to Garmin Express, it shows the stored password as changed, replacing the middle six or so characters with all zeros. Anybody else get this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange. I haven't had that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have their Garmin 920 connecting/losing & reconnecting to their heart rate strap or foot pod, or even the speed sensor. Most annoying thing, that it keeps connecting, and it vibrate every time it does it. I was on the treadmill for 10mins, and the foodpod and heart rate strap connected to my watch around 5 times each.

Any ideas?

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that on the bike. both cadence/power meter were dropping. gonna monitor it this weekend before i return it for a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [acrx349] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my problem today when sitting on a Wattbike. Very annoying that it constantly drops. Did not have the problem with my 910xt.

Got mine through a dealer in the UK, but will speak to Garmin UK, and hopefully they can replace it!

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had trouble connecting. I'll check that out tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [alexneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar thing to that on my first ride with my new 920. It kept vibrating telling me that the speed/cadence sensor was connected.

On reviewing the file there were no drop offs though.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [acrx349] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the speed sensor do that. I assumed it was an old battery in the speed sensor, so I was going to put in a fresh battery tonight and see if I have the same problem.

I also can't get it to connect to my Stages power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [rph60] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered mine!

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [broncotw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where from?
Quote Reply

Prev Next