Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm not a big fan of "what do you mean I've got another half mile to go!" Did you have GLONASS turned on? While it consumes 20% more power it is also supposed to me more accurate. As I generally only do distances less than 10 Km (but with some up to a half Mary), it seems pretty close for me. I have a 10Km on Saturday so I'll see how that compares.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GLONASS. The Reds ain't under your bed no more, the're over your head.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
GLONASS. The Reds ain't under your bed no more, the're over your head.

Yup, that's why I've been wearing a tin foil hat ever since Sputnik went up!

BC Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
Yup, that's why I've been wearing a tin foil hat ever since Sputnik went up!

That's what you think but when's the last time you actually saw tin foil in the store? You think you're protected but it's actually way worse! The stuff they've got now is aluminum foil. The NSA orchestrated the switch because they know that aluminum actually amplifies the signal of their mind-control satellites. You're only safe with true tin foil and that's impossible to buy now.

@nugget: facebook - flickr - strava - runkeeper - garmin
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've checked my 920 with both, GLONASS and GPS. No difference at all on a distance up to 10 miles. My friend did the same thing in Russia and he also didn't notice any significant difference. So I turned GLONASS off on my device.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate that this sport/obsession is making me think of buying a $500 watch. A watch!!!

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now, I have a 620 and an Edge 500. I did not like the 910 because of its size, but after seeing a 920 up close... I run a powermeter on my bikes and want to be able to see those numbers without having to put my nose to the unit. Is the 920 'seeable' enough for those that have it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Right now, I have a 620 and an Edge 500. I did not like the 910 because of its size, but after seeing a 920 up close... I run a powermeter on my bikes and want to be able to see those numbers without having to put my nose to the unit. Is the 920 'seeable' enough for those that have it?

Yes! That's what I really like about 920! You can see those numbers without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If somebody is interested to see tracks

GLONASS is on

http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/628879822

GPS is on, GLONASS is off

http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/628241507
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
My 920xt arrived a week ago from Clever Training. After a couple of training runs around the 'hood I tried it out this past Saturday at the JFK 50 miler in western Maryland. I am impressed.

The live-tracking feature was a big hit among my family and running buds to see how I was doing. It worked very well all day (9:49:56 finish, thank you) and at the end both my Garmin and my iPhone in my belt had more than 50% charge remaining after starting the day topped-up. I got all the same features I am used to having used the 910xt for the past three years, and the slimmer, lighter design is a plus. Heart rate tracked consistently all day long as well, which is another issue I have had with prior Garmins.

Only downside: had me about a half-mile long, (50.92 instead of 50.4 course length) but I think that still within the expected margin of error for a GPS tracking watch. It's just hard to get that 'wtf?' expression off your face when you want to be finished but it's another half mile to go!

Very happy with my purchase so far.

Did you have any issues connecting your phone for Live Tracking? I have attempted to do a few time (3rd time was the charm) and the first few tries it told me I was not connected. I was connected though. At least it told me on the watch that I was connected and the app said I was connected. It wasn't until I went to Device page, clicked on the bluetooth icon and then went to my phone and tried to reconnect the bluetooth, which was already connected, for it to work. I am not sure what I did for it to work, because I was trying everything. I was curious if you had any issues as well?

Thanks

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
I hate that this sport/obsession is making me think of buying a $500 watch. A watch!!!

Think of it as a wrist-mounted computer. Much less painful that way :-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katia wrote:
If somebody is interested to see tracks

GLONASS is on

http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/628879822

GPS is on, GLONASS is off

http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/628241507

you mean Glonass makes you 40s faster each 1h ! We NEED it !!!! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [LionelB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LionelB wrote:

you mean Glonass makes you 40s faster each 1h ! We NEED it !!!! ;-)

Can you imagine how fast we will be if USA will let Russia to put GLONASS station on it's territory? ))))
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup or think about what it would cost to do something else. Up here in Canada the Grey Cup game is next weekend. Even though I'm from Calgary and the Stampeders are playing I have no intention of going. But I was thinking. A ticket is likely close to $400, then there is a hotel room or two plus the flight plus other stuff and it would be running over $2,000. I'd MUCH rather have a 920.

I've moved up from a combination of a 310XT and Garmin Swim. And so far really liking the 920. It does everything that my Gamin Swim does except the screen and thus the numbers are larger. That's a plus for me. I've gone on 2 runs (just picked it up last Thursday) and used the new HRM strap. I'm impressed with the strap. I use gel on the 3 contact points and both times I've used it there has not been any spiking of any kind. On that same route with my previous HRM strap I would get spikes for the first Km and then it settled down. This time, no spiking.

The activity monitor is something that I'm using that I didn't think I would. Plus, when the watch connects to Garmin Connect, I have it automatically syncing to myfitnesspal where you can enter your food and thus your calories. This all in turn has me looking at the food that I eat MUCH more closely than I ever did before. I've never really tracked food / calories before but I think this capability will have me doing it. The myfitnesspal lets you put in the food and it looks it up, supplying calories, sugar, protein etc. and then you can get a breakdown on a daily basis. Far more than I thought it would. You start with putting in your height, weight, age and if you wish to gain or loose weight and how much over what length of time. Then it figures out the calories you can have per day. But, it adds in any workouts.

I have the activity tracking set up so that the watch tells me to MOVE! if I'm sitting too long although with a job in front of a computer it does keep telling me to Move. Even though I go out for a run at noon and exceed my step requirements, if I sit for more than an hour it tells me to get active.

So far no rides or other activities and lots to figure out. Oh and my VO2 max calculation is interesting. Plus, the projected 5Km, 10Km and other race times are interesting and, I may add, very ambitious. I'll have to see if they are achievable or not. Anyway, more information to keep me amused and doing workouts.

BC Don
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [danen1973] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danen1973 wrote:
Olu wrote:
danen1973 wrote:
Do any of you use speed and cadence sensors with your Garmin 920xt (or 910 and even other Garmin devices). If using the speed sensor does the speed/distance calculation come from the satellites or from the sensors on the bike? Or, is it a combination of both?

In the 910xt and Edge devices, the speed sensor is used for the instant speed (which responds much faster then GPS) and will take over if you lose GPS signal. Otherwise GPS is used for average speed and distance. Cadence will come from the sensor unless you have a power-meter which supersedes the cadence sensor.

Thank you for the info.

from another thread:

Order of speed data priority:
1. Power meter sending torque and speed (e.g. PowerTap). In this case wheel speed is needed to compute power.
2. Speed sensor
3. GPS

Order of cadence data priority:
1. Power meter sending torque and cadence (e.g. Vector, SRM, Quarq)
2. Standalone cadence sensor (or combo speed/cadence sensor)
3. Power meter sending power values and cadence (e.g. Power2Max, Rotor)

Source: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...netless-sensors.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
Yes, I'm not a big fan of "what do you mean I've got another half mile to go!" Did you have GLONASS turned on? While it consumes 20% more power it is also supposed to me more accurate. As I generally only do distances less than 10 Km (but with some up to a half Mary), it seems pretty close for me. I have a 10Km on Saturday so I'll see how that compares.

Have not yet begun to explore all the capabilities of the watch yet, so no. Will definitely check it out to see any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, sounds right, but speed is instant speed. In older Garmin units, GPS calculates distance, so average speed over your ride will be based on GPS.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The unit paired up with my iPhone the first time within seconds. No pairing issues at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have issues with my Android phone (Xperia Z1 Compact running 4.4.4).. often during a day it will lose connection (usually as the phone and watch are separated from each other).. then I need to re-pair using the pin
PITA!!

Occassionally but not often it does take a few attempts for the re-pairing to hold

Also.. GCM crashes or stutters on me which compounds the issue.

However.. so far for my run and rides I haven't had a disconnect after Live Tracking started (so when it is up and running it seems fine). I use Live Tracking for each activity so have had quite a few already (but only up to 2.5hrs in duration)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered a black/blue 920XT w/ heart rate from Heart Rate Monitor USA on Sunday evening. Shipped yesterday despite being recorded as backordered.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone received a 920xt shipment from Trisports.com?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero issues, synched to phone and mac air super easy. Man this is a great watch!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got off the phone with heartratemonitors.com (same company as heartratemonitorsusa.com as far as I can tell) and they got in over 100 black/blue units today. They now have bundles in both colors readily available (and discounts DO apply).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for this. I just cancelled my order through Amazon and went through HRM USA. Seems to be expected to ship today. Really appreciate the post!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What discount?

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply

Prev Next