Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Forerunner 920 XT
Quote | Reply
No, that is not a typo....new 920XT. saw one the other night at the local tri store. Apparently not announced yet.

Very low profile, WiFi enabled, Bluetooth so you can read texts / e-malls, ANT+, color screen (don't think it was touch screen).

Will not require foot pod for running inside and use arm movement...Unit will "learn" your run speed based on arm cadence vs. GPS data so when you run inside, it is more accurate.

Multiple color options...the one I saw was red w/ white trim. Looked pretty sweet overall

Didn't catch $$ or availability date.....but it looked like it was ready to roll. I'm guessing 5 bones, though.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the cat is out of the bag. 920XT releases within the month (#KONA)

website/blog | About Me | Instagram | Race Schedule
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin guy at AGN in Milwaukee said there was something in the works "soon". Never thought it would be that fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so, dcrainmaker's got a preview model already and will post a good preview the day that it's announced ...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bet it still doesn't tell the time stand alone or receive power from stages when on the wrist....
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - my 910XT reads my stages without issue while on the wrist.


And my 910 seems to have broken its altimeter (last few runs have been 'flat' apparently, one at 40m ASL, one at 5800m ASL, and one at 11200m ASL. - all the same course)
Guess I know what my next tri related purchase is :D
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what battery life will be with all the new stuff...hmm...I wonder if someone would buy a 910xt cheap so I can upgrade...iWatch is also a possibility. ;)

http://milesformast.org
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short arms? Small frame? :)

Who know's but the issue is reported and ignored by Garmin.. Cockheads..

Anyhow.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Short arms? Small frame? :)

Who know's but the issue is reported and ignored by Garmin.. Cockheads..

Anyhow.

Uh, this sounds like a Stages issue, NOT a Garmin issue.

My 310 picks up my HR strap and G3 PT from like 10 METERS away.
I'll put the Garmin out in my driveway to acquire the sats, go inside, and when I walk back out into the garage from the house, I hear it chirp, from finding my HR strap.

There's only so much the radio receiver can do, if the station broadcasting signal is weak.


float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
short torso, long arms, med/large Argon E112
Possibly helps I wear my watch on the left wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So your different watch works with a different PM...
Okay thanks for that.....
My Honda lawn mower is also good..... ;)

I hear ya... But many have noted the same issue... Edge 500 works fine, 705 works fine... Others work fine... 910 drops out like a mofo.. So source signal is present and correct.... Reception is iffy....

Anyhow let's see if the new one does what the done was advertised as being capable of...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
I wonder what battery life will be with all the new stuff...hmm...I wonder if someone would buy a 910xt cheap so I can upgrade...iWatch is also a possibility. ;)

Claimed 20 hours on GPS and 1 month on standby. Seemed a bit aggressive, IMO.

I believe they also said something about it also keeping track of steps / day and calories burned ala FitBit.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
So your different watch works with a different PM...
Okay thanks for that.....
My Honda lawn mower is also good..... ;)

I hear ya... But many have noted the same issue... Edge 500 works fine, 705 works fine... Others work fine... 910 drops out like a mofo.. So source signal is present and correct.... Reception is iffy....

Anyhow let's see if the new one does what the done was advertised as being capable of...

Touche. Point taken.
(this is also why I'm in zero rush to "upgrade" my 310. I know lots of folks who seem to have lots of various issues w/ the 910, that are not present in my 310.)
Carry on, smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Hopefully Garmin has addressed these issues, and more, in the new 920.
(and for your sake, hopefully there's a firmware fix for the issue you're having)


float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mate I'd be happy with the bloody thing just telling the time In a standby mode as per the 610.... Ie not on GPS so as to use as a standard watch on swim training days.. Having it floating around in the training bag is a sure fire way to ruin it.
With 6 different garmin products over the last 10years.. The only one which has been issue free was the 500....
I just wish they'd sow down their new model release focus and complete the products they do create...
As usual I'll look forward to DC's detailed reviews in due course..
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll buy it, just because that's what I do..... ;-(

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
I hear ya... But many have noted the same issue... Edge 500 works fine, 705 works fine... Others work fine... 910 drops out like a mofo.. So source signal is present and correct.... Reception is iffy....

Anyhow let's see if the new one does what the done was advertised as being capable of...

Just to be sure .... you are complaining about the 910XT not working with a PM that wasn't even made when the 910 was released .... and it's Garmin's fault?

Stages has a low output, and even then it sucks through batteries like nobody's business with, I assume, a lower output as the battery charge decreases. I know, my wife has one and replaces the batteries monthly and has to carry spare batteries all the time. The 910 works fine with all other equipment. The Edge receivers may well register Stages better, and being bar mounted by default they probably get a clearer signal than someone who uses their 910 on their wrist, but even then my wife's Edge 500 drops signal very occasionally whereas my 910 and Powertap never does.

I think to be fair to Garmin, you can only expect them to nail the compatibility with products that are on the market at the time. It would seem the ball should be in Stages court to ensure that their transmission is strong enough to pair successfully with existing head units, not the other way round.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
Interesting - my 910XT reads my stages without issue while on the wrist.


And my 910 seems to have broken its altimeter (last few runs have been 'flat' apparently, one at 40m ASL, one at 5800m ASL, and one at 11200m ASL. - all the same course)
Guess I know what my next tri related purchase is :D
\

And mine tells time just fine. Other activity, 1 data field, set to time....


Mine screws up elevation constantly too though. Says I started my run at 32,000+ feet. Who knew I was running on that trail that goes out from the top of Everest into the lower stratosphere.
Last edited by: Furious D: Sep 5, 14 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
shadwell wrote:

I hear ya... But many have noted the same issue... Edge 500 works fine, 705 works fine... Others work fine... 910 drops out like a mofo.. So source signal is present and correct.... Reception is iffy....

Anyhow let's see if the new one does what the done was advertised as being capable of...


Just to be sure .... you are complaining about the 910XT not working with a PM that wasn't even made when the 910 was released .... and it's Garmin's fault?

Stages has a low output, and even then it sucks through batteries like nobody's business with, I assume, a lower output as the battery charge decreases. I know, my wife has one and replaces the batteries monthly and has to carry spare batteries all the time. The 910 works fine with all other equipment. The Edge receivers may well register Stages better, and being bar mounted by default they probably get a clearer signal than someone who uses their 910 on their wrist, but even then my wife's Edge 500 drops signal very occasionally whereas my 910 and Powertap never does.

I think to be fair to Garmin, you can only expect them to nail the compatibility with products that are on the market at the time. It would seem the ball should be in Stages court to ensure that their transmission is strong enough to pair successfully with existing head units, not the other way round.


Power meter drop outs is a know issue with the 910xt. SRMs, Quarqs, PTs I've seen them all suffer from it.
Garmin also acknoledged it, and references to this fact can be found all over DCRainmakers site
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still on the 310. That watch rocks!

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Power meter drop outs is a know issue with the 910xt. SRMs, Quarqs, PTs I've seen them all suffer from it.
Garmin also acknoledged it, and references to this fact can be found all over DCRainmakers site

Well mine has never dropped out, on either of my PT's. So .... everyone else is obviously wrong!

My 910 picks up my Powertap from another room in my house (as it does with my HR strap) as soon as I start wheeling the bike I hear a beep.

I have had three 910's (one is at the bottom of Okanagan lake if anyone cares to find it, I smashed the other in a fall) and all worked flawlessly other than elevation which, again in my experience, is always the barometer ports that need cleaning. I assume that the working watches never get posted about though.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
No, that is not a typo....new 920XT. saw one the other night at the local tri store. Apparently not announced yet.

Very low profile, WiFi enabled, Bluetooth so you can read texts / e-malls, ANT+, color screen (don't think it was touch screen).

Will not require foot pod for running inside and use arm movement...Unit will "learn" your run speed based on arm cadence vs. GPS data so when you run inside, it is more accurate.

Multiple color options...the one I saw was red w/ white trim. Looked pretty sweet overall

Didn't catch $$ or availability date.....but it looked like it was ready to roll. I'm guessing 5 bones, though.

Does bluetooth work with Android yet? I may be way behind on this one since I haven't looked at it since I bought my GF her 220 at Christmas, but last I looked BT didn't work with Android.

__________________________

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does bluetooth work with Android yet? I may be way behind on this one since I haven't looked at it since I bought my GF her 220 at Christmas, but last I looked BT didn't work with Android


Time to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did cleaning out the altimeter port work for you? I have given it one go using a (lazy) modification of this method, to no change. If there are others who have had this work I will give it another go. Otherwise I will probably just live with post activity corrections.

It does make for some fun Strava comments when I do 15000 m of climbing in 10k or so though.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any rumors of it calculating V02 max like the 620?

Rick Loving
S Chicago
2012 9.9 Speed Concept
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:
I'll buy it, just because that's what I do..... ;-(

*sigh*.. me too..
just put my 910XT up for sale in anticipation
Quote Reply

Prev Next