Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Keystone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My store has a bunch of them. They all are the HRM package. I have been hesitant to pick one up because I don't even use all the features of the 910, much less the 910 on steroids (920).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept wrote:
My store has a bunch of them. They all are the HRM package. I have been hesitant to pick one up because I don't even use all the features of the 910, much less the 910 on steroids (920).

Yea if you can't use all the features it is a waste of money to purchase the watch. I like the smart notifications so that saves me from having to purchase a smart watch. I like the activity tracker so that saves me from wearing a Fitbit. I love the live tracking so people can see where I am at and my times and such live.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Keystone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm thinking. Plus I already have the 510 and 810 on my two bikes. I think the only real things I'd benefit from are the new swim metrics and the vertical oscillation with running.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have both an 810 & 510?

I just picked up a 920 and did an indoor swim straight away. Very pleased so far albeit only after one activity.

One question I have though - with my 910 I could set up different bikes in the ride activity. How do I do that in the 920? I can't find an option to add bikes in the ride profile.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the sensors are pooled, you dont really need to setup multiple bike unless you want to track them individually. You could rename the bike activity to bike Shiv (or whatever) and ceate a second bike profile named something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fasth2o wrote:
Since the sensors are pooled, you dont really need to setup multiple bike unless you want to track them individually. You could rename the bike activity to bike Shiv (or whatever) and ceate a second bike profile named something else.
ok so as long as I paid my Powertap and cadence sensor from one bike and my stages from another it'll pick them up regardless of which I ride?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Once you have them synced together, it will find them regardless. I have a quarq on my Shiv and just a cadence meter on my Crux and it picks up whichever I am riding. The sensor isnt tied to the profile like it was on the 910.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How frequently is garmin releasing/updating this watch? Every 2 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
How frequently is garmin releasing/updating this watch? Every 2 years?

Three between 910xt and 920xt, usually two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
sleek & lower profile? how much lower?

From the specs it is 0.5 inches thick vs 310xt at 0.8 inches and 0.6 inches for the 910xt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to have the backlight on at night and have it off during the day. It is a pain to go thru all of the menu options to switch it back and forth. With the 310 you could just hit the power button then adjust the backlight/contrast. I haven't found this option on the 920 yet. Please help.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same thought so I just set it to manual. On when I want it on and off when I want it off.

Edit to add instructions:
Settings > System > Backlight > Mode: Manual
Last edited by: bgoldstein: Dec 9, 14 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skaas wrote:
Is there a way to have the backlight on at night and have it off during the day. It is a pain to go thru all of the menu options to switch it back and forth. With the 310 you could just hit the power button then adjust the backlight/contrast. I haven't found this option on the 920 yet. Please help.

Just press the power button to turn it on or off. You can set how long it stays on in the settings.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the 310 did the light/power button better than the 910 or (it sounds) like the 920.

With the 310 (at least with the way I have mine set), the display does not light up until you manually hit the light button once. Thereafter it comes on every lap, even autolaps, if you don't hit a button.

The advantage of the 310 over the 910 is that on the 310, when you manually hit the light button, it just lights up. You have to hit it twice to see that light-level indicator. But on the 910, whenever you manually hit the light button, the light level indicator pops up immediately, obscuring the screen you were trying to see in the first place. You have to manually hit the button again to dismiss the light level gauge.

Not a big deal once or twice but when you are running in the dark often,with gloves, trying to hit that button again becomes annoying.

The 910 has that feature in which the display is supposed to come on if you tap the watch but that just barely works at all, I find. Completely useless. You have to really bang the watch to make that happen.
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 9, 14 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually download via Wifi. I have trouble occasionally with my 920 picking up wifi and automatically transferring SWIM workouts to Garmin Connect.

I have no problem if I run/bike from my house and return to my house. It picks up my wifi immediately and downloads.

The problem spurs when I go to the pool. Then I save my workout and go directly to work for 9 hours. When I get home I find myself switching to Bluetooth to download my workout.

Anyone else with this issue? Or suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold the mode button when on the clock face. It will bring up the Connect to Wi-Fi option. I transfer all my workouts this way, no auto nothin'
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some kind of bug where it looks for last known wifi for a given amount of time after finishing a workout. Or just with swimming workouts. Try a fake swimming workout at your house where you start at your house, swing your arms for a while down the street, finish back at the house. If it uploads, then it's a time thing. If it doesn't, it's a swim thing.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
But on the 910, whenever you manually hit the light button, the light level indicator pops up immediately, obscuring the screen you were trying to see in the first place. You have to manually hit the button again to dismiss the light level gauge.

Not a big deal once or twice but when you are running in the dark often,with gloves, trying to hit that button again becomes annoying.

The 910 has that feature in which the display is supposed to come on if you tap the watch but that just barely works at all, I find. Completely useless. You have to really bang the watch to make that happen.

As for the first problem: push the "Enter" button instead of the power button - lights up the background and doesn't display the light level gauge.

As for the second one, it's a double tap - did you try that? Works perfectly fine on my 910XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
Hold the mode button when on the clock face. It will bring up the Connect to Wi-Fi option. I transfer all my workouts this way, no auto nothin'

Perfect! I didn't even know about that function. Thanks!

Now my 920xt is very close to being ultimate tri watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx. i want to pull the trigger on this, but cant get over the size and bulk. is there any chance for a slimmer, modified version down the road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electronics are constantly getting smaller and slimmer. Wait 3 years and find out how much smaller...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
thx. i want to pull the trigger on this, but cant get over the size and bulk. is there any chance for a slimmer, modified version down the road?

If the time gap between the 310xt, 910xt and 920xt holds true, you've get about 2.5 years to wait. It is not the thickness of the watch body, but that with the square face and bulky strap that makes it seem so big, If you rounded the corners a little and used a slightly smaller strap it would make a huge difference for day to day wearing - they made it look more like a thinner 310xt rather than an improved 920xt. But as a sport watch I really do like the large screen and is a huge improvement on the 310xt. The software still need some fixes - the bluetooth drops connection with my iPhone every other day, I have trouble getting the WiFi to connect/upload to work (both issues with Apple products) and also have not yet been able to detect my SRM power meter...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [bewuethr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah good about the enter button. Have not tried that

But tap, single, double, triple, it doesn't matter. Doesn't help. I really have to bash it
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case no one made you aware, the watch does tell the time and date without even touching the battery life of the watch. I have had this thing since the day before Thanksgiving and haven't had to charge it yet. I just had surgery on my foot, so I haven't been training. It is way better than the 910.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.... not about your foot, but get well soon... ;)

So garmin figured out how to make a watch tell the time and not run flat after a day... woot woot.. ;) just kidding....

Any reports on if it picks up PM beyond 30inch distance? Cheers....
Quote Reply

Prev Next