Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can set up time, not date. I don't want to call them again! I know, I have to :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Katia wrote:
OK, I got my new watch (I had to replace mine due to some problems). Now I have another problem - the watch says it's Tue 2 today. Does anybody know how to change the date on 920?

Get a GPS fix and it should set itself.

GPS is on. What else I can do to fix it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, never mind. It's Mon 1 now :)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After only a few days with ours, we are very happy. There is a lot different over the 910, principally in the settings but also in the general usability.

Really like the ability to set different activity profiles. For instance, we have road bike, indoor bike, TT bike and MTB as distinct profiles, each with customised data screens. No more having a cadence screen on the mtb unnecessarily, and no need to turn off the GPS for the indoor setting.

Easy to set up different triathlon and duathlon profiles based on single sport activity profiles.

Ability to identify sensors makes it easier to see whose is whose when multiple sensors are detected. Pool swim screens are good with a different rest screen coming up in between intervals.

Activity and sleep tracking interesting but may not bother with that after too long.

Battery life as everyday use and using for activities seems pretty good. Haven't really done much activity yet but 3 days in and a couple of hours activity and battery life is still looking healthy.

Connectivity to bluetooth and wireless seamless - iPhone and iMac. Easily flips between wireless and bluetooth without any input from us.

Only thing I would like to see - and I may have missed this, is the ability to set sensors to specific profiles. I have also noticed that even with the Pool Swim, when no sensors are used, that the icons for the sensors are flashing indicating perhaps that they are being searched for. Might be something for Garmin to sort out in a later firmware update.

And just one hint of a possible problem - water coming out of the Lap and Enter buttons after pressing them about an hour after a swim. About to contact Garmin about that one.

However, overall, a solid 8/10 for the first impressions after only a few days

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Dec 1, 14 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got mine from my local running store yesterday, just in time for CIM next weekend!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with most of these posts. If you're a gadget person (and tired of ANT+ uploading), this is worth the upgrade from the 910. I've had the watch for 4 days now and after some issues setting up the wifi on my router it's been running smoothly. Battery life is impressive.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the screen. To me, it is frighteningly crisp. The numbers appear to be right on the surface of the screen almost like I never took the sticker off.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a garmin 920xt hrm for 35% off. This price includes 20% off at the register and another 15% off cash back through ebates. I went through kellysrunningwarehouse.com. Ebates says the discount is good through Dec. 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
received my 920xt about 10 days ago. got a few short training sessions in before IMCoz. prior to the 920 I used a 310xt and Suunto Ambit 2s. the ambit was nice to wear as an everyday watch but lacked the intuitive functionality of Garmin, did not upload or sync workouts across platforms (TP, MFP) and battery life was less than expected.

The 920 worked flawlessly during the Ironman. I turned off Glonass to improve battery life. Started the triathlon mode GPS while waitin for my swim wave to start and ran it for approx 14 hours. when I plugged it into the charger I still had 17% battery power remaining. I would guesstimate that you could get 17 hours out of it during a full.

As for the rest of the features, I love the wifi upload, smart notifications with bluetooth, and activity tracker functions. The size profile is light and slim so will probably wear as an everyday watch as well. If Garmin had this functionality in the Fenix it would be a home run. but they really nailed it for a tristhlon watch IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdbanker wrote:
I love the wifi upload, smart notifications with bluetooth, and activity tracker functions. The size profile is light and slim so will probably wear as an everyday watch as well..

I turned off WiFi to save on battery life. I don't know why someone would use it if you are already using bluetooth for the notifications. The watch will pick up my phone from just about anywhere in my house.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone that direct ordered through Garmin receive their 920 yet?

Previously I was told they would ship the week of December 5th. Now, I was just told another 3-5 weeks. [pink]Great customer service.[/pink] Mad

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Keystone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wifi disconnects when connected to bluetooth and vice versa.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Anyone that direct ordered through Garmin receive their 920 yet?

Previously I was told they would ship the week of December 5th. Now, I was just told another 3-5 weeks. [pink]Great customer service.[/pink] Mad

I canceled my order through Garmin after finding a 920XT at a marathon expo. The Garmin rep at the expo said they were going to be shipping mid December. I can't believe that they are shipping to their distributors first instead of their direct customers. I bet you would be able to find a 920 well before the next 3-5 weeks. I'm really impressed with this watch so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keystone wrote:
sdbanker wrote:
I love the wifi upload, smart notifications with bluetooth, and activity tracker functions. The size profile is light and slim so will probably wear as an everyday watch as well..

I turned off WiFi to save on battery life. I don't know why someone would use it if you are already using bluetooth for the notifications. The watch will pick up my phone from just about anywhere in my house.

IIRC the firmware updates load through wifi or by plugging USB into computer but not via Bluetooth
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but their code won't give me a discount on the Garmin. It will on shoes and other gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It did the same for me too. I called and verified that it was a good code. They assured me that it was and sent me a email confirming my correct price. I know others are having the same issue too. Don't know why.

I figured that if I could not get it for 20% off I would just cancel it before they shipped it out. It says that they charge for returns, but I assumed that it was not being returned, just canceled. Double check their policy and your comfort level.

You could also try just calling them and doing a phone order. But them you would not get the 7.5% from Ebates.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you had any success.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the order earlier, it didn't work with the discount so I called their CS to cancel the order and they confirmed the code doesn't apply to electronics (I tested the code on a pair of Asics and it did reflect the 20% off in the cart there). They couldn't see my order since it was too soon to review/cancel, so I had to call back later.

Just now called back and she confirmed the code I used from the ebates site didn't include electronics, but she used one of their "internal" codes and was able to get me the 20% off. So, it sounds like there is a way to get the 20% off coupon to work but you have to call to do so? Not sure if that applies to all orders or if I just sounded pathetic and sad enough (or got a helpful enough CS rep).

So, the 20% discount does work but seemingly not without a bit of effort and a short simple phone call.

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great. I wonder if they applied an internal code for me too without me knowing, or if I just slipped by somehow. Hope it helps others.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdbanker wrote:
Keystone wrote:
sdbanker wrote:

IIRC the firmware updates load through wifi or by plugging USB into computer but not via Bluetooth

I'll have to try that when they update the firmware next time. I would think Garmin Express would update via bluetooth since it connects to the device and lets me know if the software is up to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:

I canceled my order through Garmin after finding a 920XT at a marathon expo. The Garmin rep at the expo said they were going to be shipping mid December. I can't believe that they are shipping to their distributors first instead of their direct customers. I bet you would be able to find a 920 well before the next 3-5 weeks. I'm really impressed with this watch so far.

That's awesome you were able to snag one!

I should have dropped the order through Garmin the first "customer service" interaction I had with them at the beginning of November. It definitely foreshadowed even more b.s. However, I have been ordering direct through Garmin for years. I have never had this many issues whether crappy customer service and delays in product shipment.

I do understand shipping to distributors first due to the volume they do with Garmin. But Trisports is showing they are expecting another shipment of 920s around the 11th of December. They already fulfilled one round to their distributors and are doing another while holding off shipping to direct order customers for another 3-5 weeks. Time to stop filling shelves for potential buyers and fulfill their commitment to direct order customers!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Wifi disconnects when connected to bluetooth and vice versa.

If you want to be on bluetooth since it uses a lower power than wifi how would you prevent it from connecting to wifi when you don't want it to? I don't know how that could work in both directions disconnect bluetooth when on wifi and disconnect wifi when on bluetooth. Does it randomly pick one when you are in range of both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I'm seeing is that it defaults to bluetooth when in range of the iPhone and has to be 'forced' to connect to wifi otherwise. Once out of range of the wifi it goes back to bluetooth. The only wifi network I have set up is my home one as away from home I usually have the iPhone with me.

From what I've seen of the battery life so far - 4 days in and used as watch and for several hours of training, there's plenty of battery life. And when it does go on to the charger, it charges up very quickly anyway.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered a black/blue HRM bundle from heartratemonitorusa.com over the weekend and received it today. I am impressed so far. I took it for an easy 6 miler tonight. My HRM spiked at the beginning of my run and was reading a little off at first but settled out eventually. The vertical oscillation,cadence, and ground contact time features are pretty cool too. Can't wait to try it again in the morning for my 12 miler at 6:45.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [gtstang02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is going the non-HRM version "worth" pursuing? I know you'd lose the heart rate and running metrcis, but curious to know if it's worth saving the $50?

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
What are some other 920xt owner opinions of the watch vs. the 910xt or potentially Ambit 2S? The price point on the 910xt/Ambit 2S today are hard to ignore, but not sure if it's worth saving the money for the 920xt instead? Hard to justify the expense at $450+ right now, but maybe can save up a bit to make it less painful.

I have had mine for 5 days and it is terrific. I am coming from a 310xt, so I cannot compare to the 910xt or the Ambit. There is so much to like, but two highlights I don't see mentioned much are (i) the watch band -- it is secure and extremely comfortable and (ii) GPS lock time -- I barely get into training mode and I get the GPS ready message -- sometimes even if I am inside when I go into training mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered without it due to the fact that I have a perfectly good HRM (albeit without the bells and whistles of the new one). After reading DC Rainmaker's comments in the review about the new metrics (after a while he just ignored them as they didn't really have an effect on his training) it doesn't seem like something that I'd be too interested in. You can pick up an older generation HRM for cheaper than $50.
Quote Reply

Prev Next