Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this has already been answered, I "scanned" the previous 19 pages, but didn't notice.

I'm a regular drinker of the Garmin "KoolAid" so am planning to sell my perfectly functional 910xt and replace with the 920xt - this is not a rational decision - since the 910xt already exceeds my needs.

That said, I wanted to confirm the following

1. My current Garmin Speed/Cad unit (single unit with little arm - not sure of part #) will work, its ant+ so fairly sure it won't be a problem (I have the same unit on two bikes).
2. The quick release is the same as the 910xt - I appreciate that the actual piece that fits to the watch will be different, but want to know if it will fit into the existing holders on both bikes and the strap I have from the 910xt.

Finally, any recommendations for a good online supplier? I will wait until after Xmas to see if there a re any promos.

TIA Glen

Glen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:

Denali,

What the fuck does this have to do with pot, minimum wage and republicans? You strike me as the type of person that just likes to type.

with a head wand

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong but I think that is a software problem with garmin connect. Im not a big fan of t.v.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Robert wrote:
Which is why I'll wait a few months until they get all the bugs out.....

My 910xt probably has 3 months of life in it. ; )

-Robert

I can't wait for my 920XT. My 910 has been acting funny for months now.

On a recent 3.7 mile run, I apparently gained 62,720 ft of elevation.

If you haven't already, dunk your FR910XT in a bowl of warm soapy water for about 10-15 minutes, then give it a bit of a shake in the water. Typically what happens is salt (either sweat or sea water salt) dries up clogging up the barometric altimeter port. This is often compounded by the quick release kit.

Failing that, a very gentle toothbrush application to the altimeter hole usually does the trick. Just don't get too rough in there though, it likes it gentle.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Robert wrote:

-Robert

If you haven't already, dunk your FR910XT in a bowl of warm soapy water for about 10-15 minutes, then give it a bit of a shake in the water. Typically what happens is salt (either sweat or sea water salt) dries up clogging up the barometric altimeter port. This is often compounded by the quick release kit.

Failing that, a very gentle toothbrush application to the altimeter hole usually does the trick. Just don't get too rough in there though, it likes it gentle.

I just LOL'd when I read this. I am not sure if it was meant to be funny but it is!

On a serious note, the gentle washing helped mine but about 1/2 the 910s I have seen with altimeter problems are actually problems that can only be resolved by garmin. If the device reads something like 66,000 feet it is probably busted. I talked with a Garmin rep about the unreliable altimeter and of course they said they fixed it but I doubt it. Sort of like GPS accuracy, you aren't going to get meteorological precision from a $400USD device that you wear on your wrist and abuse in all manner of ways including sweaty salt, salty ocean water, nailing other swimmers in the head etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [millarg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Ray's most recent review of the 920, he mentions the quick release mounts as being different between the 910 and 920. The reason for this is the width of the two bands as well as the pin system utilized on the 920. So, no, it is not anticipated that the quick release mount for the 910 will work for the 920.

I'm guessing the 920 will pick up any ANT+ related device - besides scales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else had charging issues?

I've had several 910xts & 310xts (several because each was replaced at least a couple of times under warranty).

Anyways, I have had recurrent issues with getting them all to charge using the charging claw. Anyone have similar problems?

Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriZag wrote:
In Ray's most recent review of the 920, he mentions the quick release mounts as being different between the 910 and 920. The reason for this is the width of the two bands as well as the pin system utilized on the 920. So, no, it is not anticipated that the quick release mount for the 910 will work for the 920.

I'm guessing the 920 will pick up any ANT+ related device - besides scales.

Many thanks

Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone besides the people with connections receive theirs yet? Online orders or local retails.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [stayaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine two weeks ago from Rebel Sport in Australia but they were the only retailer that had any.
I've had every Garmin imaginable and have to say it is great although I liked the Fenix 2 as a day to day watch a bit better- extra alarms etc and the choice to have vibrate only for the alarm so I don't wake up my lovely wife.
920 hasnt missed a beat though and the auto wireless upload to Garmin is cool.
Its generally uploaded my files before I've changed out of my sweaty bike or run gear.
Instant pace is still gay like all the modern Garmin s, slow to respond although not as bad as the Fenix 2
Satellite acquisition is super fast
Form factor is easy to wear -slim and light- gets a lot of comments from anyone into sport

And yes it will pick up any Ant sensors
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't swim that often but in nearly 3 years of owning 910s we've only ever lost a handful of lengths in a pool (usually self-induced) and had good results in open water. Overall, quite happy with the service our 910s have given us... and the 310 and 305 before that. Now hoping that the 920s will arrive on 24 Nov. Will have a couple of 910s for sale in NZ shortly if anyone's interested :-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stayaero wrote:
Has anyone besides the people with connections receive theirs yet? Online orders or local retails.

Its not a connection. The ones in the market are demo units for athletes and media for review. I had one and they took mine back to replace with the production one.
Oh well that was 5 weeks ago. Now still waiting and it will not be available at least 5 to 8 weeks.
What they told me was they were having some "production issues".
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Well the 910XT is far from perfect when it comes to swimming. I would get a 920XT as soon as you can, the swim mode enhancements and the live tracking alone are worth dealing with a "few bugs", mind you, I said in 4 weeks this is the only problem I have had. I have my 910XT still, but have not used it since.
I have reverted back to wearing the 910 when pool swimming. I really can't rely on noticing the alert tone/vibration on the 920. I'm hoping they can put more power into it and ramp it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
millarg wrote:
Has anyone else had charging issues?

I've had several 910xts & 310xts (several because each was replaced at least a couple of times under warranty).

Anyways, I have had recurrent issues with getting them all to charge using the charging claw. Anyone have similar problems?

What we've found is that occasionally there's a build up of crap in the charging points on the device. A scrape with something pointed and hard has cleared them out. We did have a charging clip fail. The spring pins failed so we had to get hold of a new clip.

Otherwise, all good

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The final production seems to be out in the market already. The latest review on DCRainmaker says that he's using the final production model. Based on durianrider and toolbox (on this forum) it seems like local stores in Australia has them in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"final production" units were launched in Kona, around 100 units went out there. But I believe you are correct that some other stores are getting theirs in as well now.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Robert wrote:

-Robert

Thanks for the tip! That's really cool. I just figured it was busted from years of SBR abuse. I took it as a sign that it was time for a replacement I and that should buy the 920XT ;)

I'll give it a try!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Ray, This is what I was talking about on the podcast. Jackasses like this would infuriate me. You've done everything imaginable to be as unbiased as possible. How you keep your composure is beyond me.
Hear, hear.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Feel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feel wrote:
  • Advanced new metrics include VO2 max, recovery time, and race time predictor when used with heart rate

I've been shocked by this race prediction feature. I have had it for about a month, and done just five runs - completely unstructured. It's been off season. One was intervals (5x500), the rest were just going home from work with backpack, I did an adventure race (so included lots of stopping) etc.. Basically it was very low quality data for making any predictions. Subsequent to all of these runs I put in my HR zones from the end of last season.

I happened to look at the race predictions page yesterday. It predicts 5k, 10k, HM and marathon times.
HM time is 3mins off my best, marathon time is 4mins off my best. I don't actually know my 5k and 10k times, but it seems similarly accurate. These are probably quite accurate guesses of what I could do right now, given that I haven't been training for them.
Considering that the fastest single km I have ever run with this device is around the ball park of the predicted marathon pace, this is astonishing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today, I've decided to keep hold of my 910 and buy a vivosmart
Maybe buy a 920 next year.

The vivosmarts are only 115 quid on Amazon at the moment
Okay, I'll still have to ant+ sync my 910, but I'll be able to use the vivo on the turbo as it will sync with the speed and cadence sensor (I don't have a power meter)
I can control my iPhone music from it
It's a real shame it doesn't use the GPS from an iPhone to track running and cycling as I tend to always carry my phone with me

I'm sure I'll change my mind tomorrow

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My predicted times. There is no way I can ran 3:11 marathon!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards thinking that the accuracy in my case was luck/coincidence, but if it can make a good estimate of VO2max then race prediction is quite well established. So it depends on how good the VO2 estimate is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the other distance times close?

I often enjoy looking at calculators like the McMillan Running calculator and it has often been quite close to all of my recent PRs from 1 mile through ~25k or so... but my marathon was always off by 20-25 minutes! I assumed it was crazy, and then realized I probably was never training right to be truly ready (read: endurance-wise) for peak marathon performance. I still am not there, but at least on my last race I got the ~20-25 minute error down to 7 minutes, and I feel there is a few minutes left.

I started to wonder... It's funny how "easy" a half marathon feels when you're running 13-20 miles every weekend, maybe if I increase my running miles (and focus on the right paces at times -- hard running), I could improve on longer races.

So my comment, you never know! Maybe with the right plan you could get closer to it than you think (assuming the other times are "in the ballpark").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katia wrote:
My predicted times. There is no way I can ran 3:11 marathon!

If you did the training thats what you are capable of. Not what you could do without training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think his comment is really still about the backplate and the wristbands. The mount on your bike should still be compatible (from the 310xt QR, 920xt QR, to the Edge units... granted the Edge units are rotated 90 degrees).

Ray notes "all bike mounts do remain compatible" in his review (after mentioning the backplate and bands are different).

Your ANT+ accessories will still work (Speed/Cadence sensors, HR sensors, footpod, etc...) Of course for Running Dynamics (if you care) you would need the HRM-RUN model that was first sold with the 620, then the fenix 2 and now the 920xt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next