Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
Is going the non-HRM version "worth" pursuing? I know you'd lose the heart rate and running metrcis, but curious to know if it's worth saving the $50?

You can always order HRM Run later when your current takes a dump.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
Is going the non-HRM version "worth" pursuing? I know you'd lose the heart rate and running metrcis, but curious to know if it's worth saving the $50?

If you decide you want one later it is an extra $100 and not an extra $50.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's a lack of understanding about the value, if any of the running dynamics at the moment. I am aware there is some research out there but haven't looked into it. Where I do see some value is in the possibility of using that data to track some real running kinetics in the field for research.

That being said, we run because we can, not necessarily because we know how to. Things like vertical oscillation, stride rate (cadence) and ground contact time can provide very useful information for those that might benefit from paying attention to those metrics. But if you don't know what the numbers mean, then they are just numbers and that's the same for any measurement. We can all collect numbers. It's the interpretation of those numbers that really matters.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Keystone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keystone wrote:
rss31778 wrote:

If you decide you want one later it is an extra $100 and not an extra $50.

Yes, you save $50 with the bundle. It's also the most stable soft strap I've used. There's a 3rd electrode on your side (mid axilla), which has eliminated HR spikes for me.

As far as wifi, it uploads activities much faster then bluetooth (like seconds). You can turn off automatic uploads so the watch only looks for wifi when you manually upload a file. I've been using the bluetooth notifications, but (for me) it's more of a novelty at this time. I also don't like having to have Garmin Connect running on my iPhone 24/7 to get the notifications.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can somebody tell me if you can set a countdown timer to auto-repeat? For example, can you set it for 46 seconds and to restart and repeat it for X times? And can it beep and buzz every time it hits zero and restarts?

It looks like the 910 had an autolap function that won't work in pool swimming mode. In the pool is actually where I want to use this.

Better yet, anybody have a user manual located online anywhere?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a user manual on the Garmin site under support.

I dont see a repeat countdown timer so far...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No manual for the 920 up on Garmin.com so far. Checked twice.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Dead Keen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Manual says no metronome for swimming or cycling. That's lame. I wish manufacturers would just leave options on and let the user decide how the user trains. Metronome while on the bike trainer would be great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like something a 3rd party developer could make an app for under the Connect IQ thing Garmin will launch early next year.

Brett- are you switching to the 920xt from the Ambit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might have to. My power meter is ANT and I can't get 4iiii guys to reply if they've tested the Viiiiva with an Ambit3 for compatibility. 1st email a while back got a "we'll find out soon.", 2nd and 3rd emails got no reply. Not looking good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the automatic Calibrate power meter functionality like the Edge 500 when it detects the PM?

I accidentally found it on my first ride clicking the ... button. 2nd ride nothing showing up to ask me to Calibrate.

Anyone have issues?

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Can somebody tell me if you can set a countdown timer to auto-repeat? For example, can you set it for 46 seconds and to restart and repeat it for X times? And can it beep and buzz every time it hits zero and restarts?

It looks like the 910 had an autolap function that won't work in pool swimming mode. In the pool is actually where I want to use this.

Better yet, anybody have a user manual located online anywhere?

What are you trying to do? The rest screen in the swim mode is awesome. There is a lap timer, that counts up from when you started the last lap. So if you're doing 100yd repeats on the 2:00, you will see the counter and when it gets to 2:00 you leave for your next 100. Alternatively, if you are doing a set with xx seconds rest, there is a rest timer that starts counting up when you hit the lap button to rest. There are a total of 4 fields that you can configure. I have my other two fields set as last interval distance and last interval pace.

Alternatively if you just want to be reminded every 46 seconds, you can set the time alert to 46 seconds, and the watch will buzz and beep every 46 seconds. I use this on my long swims to stay on pace. It worked great with the 910xt, but the vibration is much weaker in the 920xt.

DFWTri wrote:
Where is the automatic Calibrate power meter functionality like the Edge 500 when it detects the PM?

I accidentally found it on my first ride clicking the ... button. 2nd ride nothing showing up to ask me to Calibrate.

Anyone have issues?

There isn't an automatic calibrate like on the 910xt. When a powermeter is detected, press and hold the "..." button and you can calibrate. Personally I hated the forced calibration on the 910 (and I guess the Edge 500 as well). When I'm indoors the calibration never changes significantly on my Quarq. When I'm outdoors, I prefer to calibrate on the fly after the temperature and barometric pressure have equilibrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Dead Keen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the intro manual. Not Comprehensive at all. For example, it doesn't tell me if I can create my own Triathlon Activities. My 310 manual has that in it. I need to create an event with a pool swim. Can I do that? I haven't tried as I won't be doing that for a few more months but I'd like to know.

So far I love my 920 but a comprehensive guide would be great.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
That is the intro manual. Not Comprehensive at all. For example, it doesn't tell me if I can create my own Triathlon Activities. My 310 manual has that in it. I need to create an event with a pool swim. Can I do that? I haven't tried as I won't be doing that for a few more months but I'd like to know.

So far I love my 920 but a comprehensive guide would be great.
Read the last subheading on page 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tax for california kills it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...xt-depth-review.html

The only maual you should need. If what you need isn't there drop him a comment and he'll get back to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Thanks. I read through the manual quickly and that section didn't "click" when I read it. I went in and followed it and the great news is that:

1) I can create a custom Activity.

2) I can create a Triathlon with a Pool Swim at the start! Although it is interesting that when I get out of the water to go to T1, it says "Wait for GPS". That could wreak havoc on my T1 time. Oh, wait, my T1 sucks so bad it won't make any difference :).

And, being able to simultaneously have multiple Activities will be great. With the 310 I had to modify the single Multi-Sport Activity.

I keep liking the 920 more. Oh, and I found out that IF you take naps, you need to put the watch into sleep mode before you have your nap, then indicate when you are done. I'll have to try that when I can get a nap in.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't have to wait long for the GPS anyway. It's fast!

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI for anyone who ordered directly from Garmin. I got an email Thursday night saying they shipped my black blue bundle. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [charlie_does] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWESOMENESS! I ordered directly from Garmin. Thanks for the update. I didn't get said elusive tracking email but it gives me hope I will soon! :)

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine right before Thanksgiving! LOVE this!! Its nice to have a Garmin I can wear as a watch and train and race with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sleek & lower profile? how much lower?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Olu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olu wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the screen. To me, it is frighteningly crisp. The numbers appear to be right on the surface of the screen almost like I never took the sticker off.

Best description I've seen of the screen so far.
Quote Reply

Prev Next