Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Here’s one of articles https://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/...over-nz-triathletes/

Ah, well there you go. Could this still be ongoing? No nz athletes have come out and publically stated they are selected.
And wow, Sam had some very good results but didnt race relays. Maybe didn't get the memo that the team would be picked purely on relays.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
And wow, Sam had some very good results but didnt race relays. Maybe didn't get the memo that the team would be picked purely on relays.

Sam was told to focus on individual and didn't get the opportunity to race relays. Another reason he is appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [enduro50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enduro50 wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Sam was told to focus on individual and didn't get the opportunity to race relays. Another reason he is appealing.
Fair enough, sad predicament, even if he wins the appeal it won't feel the same for him. Has the appeal been finalised yet. I see no athletes talking team.. all sworn to secrecy now I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg and Laura Bennett were talking about that recently - they think the death of the F1 series (after Athens in ‘04?) really took away an advantage their athletes had. The French and German leagues filled that gap in some ways.

I don’t know enough to judge how accurate that might be, but it was an interesting idea.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
juanillo wrote:
Not even Sam Ward is racing...
I guess William should be fit enough as hes got chances for the olympics....otherwise when should he be fit??

Just wondering what is happening lately with aussies and kiwis when they dominated the sport in the 90s and early 00s: Stewart, Walton, Watson, Macca, Chris Hill, Carter, Robertson, Docherty, Gemmel....the only one that is actually in the mix is Wilde....

Haven't heard anything of Sam Ward for a while. He hasn't posted on socials any training or actually anything at all since November. That is unusual and would mean something is not right in the sport for him. Have NZ selected their team and he not on it? Or a long term injury?

Umm Aus have Birtwhistle, the only guy to win 2 World series races in 2019, before the world shut down. Bringing his total to about 8 WTS podiums by the time he was 24, Made the series podium at 23. Of course with travel restrictions he was a no show for 2020. Ash Gentle has had numerous podiums also and been a series podium athlete. Emma Jackson had been injured for a while but had a win in 2019 on her return from injury. Royle has had a couple of podiums but a few years back. Vancoeverdon had a podium a couple years back. I don't think you can say that Aus has no one,

I recall reading something that tayler reid was selected and Sam ward was taking court action? I’m a nzer and that was sometime ago and haven’t heard anything since.

Yes, have heard the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just compared Reid and Ward results and this is nonsense....Ward has been much more superior to Reid in sprint and olimpic distance (seems though struggled between june and august 2019, i guess due to some injury) but the numbers are there. He´s got some MTR experience and has made 6 top 10 in the world series, Reid 0. Then he gives the 2nd spot to NZ and can anyone tell me if he can be so bad in the MTR compared to Reid? Because unless he is injured or in bad shape he can have a shot in the individual race too... maybe there is something we are not aware within the NZ federation....
On paper, Ward must go.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly another case of internal politics. What coaching structure you’re a part of (or not a part of)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought after read the article and looking at things on paper was this:

Maybe there is a personality or attitude problem...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does that effect a MTR?
Put him in a different room, have him show up, get his hand slapped, race, slap a hand. Move him away from the rest of the team.

Unless he has abused one of the other teammates (100% hypothetical) it doesn't make sense to not take the fastest/most reliable racer.

All that said, Reid is good at the relay's. But so is Ward. And Ward at least has conceivable chance at a medal in the individual race. Reid has zero shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I went through the standings, here is what it comes down to:

Hemming is 28th but it seems likely that Silva (29th) will pas shim. Royle (30th) will pass him with a good result (top 15) at Leeds. Lets just give that to Royle and then look at the rest.

31: Grajales: mathematically not possible. Even if Grajales wins his last race hemming noses him by a point.
32: Schilling is retired
33: Willian: not points races left
34: Fabian: would take a shocking result (podium) from someone who raced this weekend to a very middle of the mark result
35: Bishop - SEE BELOW
36 and on: no one with a chance

presuming Hemming gets passed by 29 and 30 only Bishop can knock out Hemming:

Leeds is a 1000 point race. A top 8 finish and Bishiop passes Hemming. A top 5 finish and Hemming will need to podium in Huatalco to retain his spot.

There certainly are 7+ athletes who are better than Bishop racing in Leeds. But Bishop has 2 big things going for him: He isn't going to have a domestique. He is going to have a personal peloton. GB is the host nation in Leeds there are 7 GB athletes on the start line. I mean shoot, you could have AB pulling Bishop to the first pack and JB and Yee working to slow the main pack down. I am telling you if Yee is running with Blu and Gomez for the win he will pull up lame. And then on the other side you have Belgium, France and the US. They DO NOT want GB to get 3 guys (US for obvious reason, the other two because of the relay implications). I don't know how deep the team tactics will go, but having 7 athletes on the home course fighting for one guy and a half dozen others working against a single guy... Wow!

The cool scenario is a 9th or 10th place finish for Bishop and the Huatalco race becomes a heads up match between Hemming and Bishop for the final spot. I suppose that is what I am rooting for.

The tricky part for Bishop is motivation... The federation is putting in a push, and he's racing himself into the ground for a slot that he has no chance of actually occupying on the OG start line. I assume there's some financial incentives in play for him to move into the top 30, but that's an odd place to be as an athlete. I too am hoping that Bishop gets a decent result in Leeds, so that we have a head to head showdown in Mexico between him in Hemming... That said, no offense intended to our american friends, I'm rooting for GB to get that 3rd slot, because having AB and Yee on the startline is more exciting than Eli Hemming, or whomever USAT names as the 3rd slot (Assuming that with McElroy gets the 2nd slot).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I have just compared Reid and Ward results and this is nonsense....Ward has been much more superior to Reid in sprint and olimpic distance (seems though struggled between june and august 2019, i guess due to some injury) but the numbers are there. He´s got some MTR experience and has made 6 top 10 in the world series, Reid 0. Then he gives the 2nd spot to NZ and can anyone tell me if he can be so bad in the MTR compared to Reid? Because unless he is injured or in bad shape he can have a shot in the individual race too... maybe there is something we are not aware within the NZ federation....
On paper, Ward must go.

Well, I must be accurate. The 2nd spot was assured since the MTR got the automatic qualification..but it does not mean that even Reid was in that relay he must go automatically. If I were kiwi I would be pissed off...I always want the best guys and girls at the olympics and Ward is widely superior to Reid right now unless something proves the opposite... As I mentioned before, I am spanish and I root for Gomez, more than Mola or Alarza cause Javier is from my region and because I have followed him since 2003, but it does not mean that if he is not fit I want him to go instead of some other guy with more chances. We are lucky we are undoubtably sending our best guys...same with the girls....
And from a spectator´s point of view I damn want Ward to go as I want AListair and would love to see Murray in the start line if he is OK....

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not anti American either and I prefer GB to get 3 spots: Jonny, Alistair and Yee are 3 potential medals. Pearson, Mc Elroy and McDowell or Hemming dont have, unless from my POV (maybe they might have a chance in an odd race) those chances....if you are american you wont agree but I am not brittish either...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, and I am an American, or rather a true fan of the sport. I want to see the best in the biggest races and if that does not include any from the USA, then so be it. We are blessed on the female side so we get our fill there I think!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Possibly another case of internal politics. What coaching structure you’re a part of (or not a part of)!

Isn't Reid's coach on the board of selectors? That's politics right there. Even if he didn't actually vote on this one he has had 3 years pushing his agenda to the others on the board.
Reid also is in a relationship with Vanderkay, NZ top female, would that equate to a personality problem for Ward? Both coaching and relationship he is in the wrong bed.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 3, 21 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's rough for athletes.
I appreciate every country that has a cut and dry way to qualify for the games. Let the athletes race and determine their own destiny.

Germany just had a time trial start triathlon to determine their second women's pick. I don't understand why they chose that race, but at least they all knew going into the event how to make the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I am not anti American either and I prefer GB to get 3 spots: Jonny, Alistair and Yee are 3 potential medals. Pearson, Mc Elroy and McDowell or Hemming dont have, unless from my POV (maybe they might have a chance in an odd race) those chances....if you are american you wont agree but I am not brittish either...

Uh, no, GB doesn't deserve a third spot until they earn it. US has earned the spot.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
juanillo wrote:

Uh, no, GB doesn't deserve a third spot until they earn it. US has earned the spot.

Yeah, I agree, I hate it when athletes choose to not bother racing for points and let others take all the risks and do the work assuming they should just be given a spot.
Aus Might be in a similar spot if they only qualify 2 spots. Actually even if they qualify 3 I would be surprised if all 6 athletes with the points would be those selected.
There 3500 points up for grabs internationally at the start of this season compared to 400 for those staying home. Some took the gamble to travel and try to earn some of those points, others didn't. Will be interesting to see who makes our team
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jun 3, 21 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly Biship loves representing his country, but racing yourself into the ground so someone else can go is kinda whack. Especially if it's Alistair Brownlee.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly Biship loves representing his country, but racing yourself into the ground so someone else can go is kinda whack. Especially if it's Alistair Brownlee.//

Not sure why you choose to have such a negative take on this, it really is the opportunity of a lifetime for him. On his own he is going to do nothing special this olympic go around, was never going to be the guy getting the 3rd spot, ever. But look at what he does get to do. He gets the greatest ITU athlete of all time as his personal domestic, and now will have an entire team just working for him. That scenario doesn't happen in a million years, except under these rare and special circumstances.

He no doubt is getting paid well to attempt this too, and is earning a huge favor from future federation considerations. He is doing this because it is a once in a lifetime chance to race like this, and he is also a pro who makes a living at triathlon. If I were in his shoes, I would be over the moon at my good fortune to be the one and only chance for a 3rd olympic spot for my country. I would understand it is not my spot to use, but one that could end up getting my country a medal. By using the ultimate domestic's in his races, he is becoming the ultimate domestic for his country, and making some bank while having all this fun...

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does A Brownlee go for it at Leeds or does he act as a domestique for Bishop? I think he should go for it. There is a chance they don't get 3 slots so he really has to show he is in better form than Yee. Unless he has been told he has the second spot already?

Other's thoughts?

Also, will be good to see Wilde race. He is running nearly as fast as Yee has ever run in stand alone run races.

Haven't been this pumped for a WTS race in ages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You kind of asked and answered your own question. If he has the slot already, then he probably domestic's the race, along with everyone else they can wrangle. I'm sure Ali is not rejoicing in the fact that his spot could be Yee's, and will help get that 3rd spot as well as he can. He doesn't care about Yee in the race, because that would mean he and Johnny did not get the break they will most certainly turn themselves inside out for, and then Yee can have his shot at olympic glory.

Yee doesnt beat them, they can only beat themselves, and then that will be plan B(Y)ee....
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Clearly Biship loves representing his country, but racing yourself into the ground so someone else can go is kinda whack. Especially if it's Alistair Brownlee.//

Not sure why you choose to have such a negative take on this, it really is the opportunity of a lifetime for him. On his own he is going to do nothing special this olympic go around, was never going to be the guy getting the 3rd spot, ever. But look at what he does get to do. He gets the greatest ITU athlete of all time as his personal domestic, and now will have an entire team just working for him. That scenario doesn't happen in a million years, except under these rare and special circumstances.

He no doubt is getting paid well to attempt this too, and is earning a huge favor from future federation considerations. He is doing this because it is a once in a lifetime chance to race like this, and he is also a pro who makes a living at triathlon. If I were in his shoes, I would be over the moon at my good fortune to be the one and only chance for a 3rd olympic spot for my country. I would understand it is not my spot to use, but one that could end up getting my country a medal. By using the ultimate domestic's in his races, he is becoming the ultimate domestic for his country, and making some bank while having all this fun...

Wasn't really my point overall. My point was more about the fact that the US men have earned their third spot and the posters above said the US didn't deserve it. Which is of course BS because they earned it.

When it comes to fairness, if Bishop literally races himself into the ground and earns that spot for GB himself, he should be the one going. Not someone who has barely raced on the circuit.

I would like to see the checks GB is cutting for him to race himself into the ground so someone else can go. However, what he's doing is commendable.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jun 3, 21 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Aus Might be in a similar spot if they only qualify 2 spots. Actually even if they qualify 3 I would be surprised if all 6 athletes with the points would be those selected.
There 3500 points up for grabs internationally at the start of this season compared to 400 for those staying home. Some took the gamble to travel and try to earn some of those points, others didn't. Will be interesting to see who makes our team

If two spots only, I would be surprised if the second man selected next to Jake is not Matt Hauser. If three, then it's between Luke Willian and Aaron Royle. Aaron more as a domestique for Jake (they train in the same squad), Luke as a third option to do relatively well but not necessarily planning on a domestique.

Australian women: pfew, I don't know. Anybody best fit to help Ashleigh get as close as possible to the front of the race before T2, whether that's one or two domestiques (2 or 3 spots available).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Clearly Biship loves representing his country, but racing yourself into the ground so someone else can go is kinda whack. Especially if it's Alistair Brownlee.

If Bishop got the 3rd spot for GB and then AB was injured (which is not that unlikely) he would go to Tokyo. Seems like reasonable motivation to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way will AB domestique in front of his home crowd if he is run fit (which is still the big outstanding question)
Quote Reply

Prev Next