Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is incredible to me. These bikes cost thousands of dollars and people won’t buy them because they don’t have a $10 piece of rubber “integrated” into it that is often poorly constructed and limited in functionality. The after-market options are endless. Admittedly they aren’t quite as aesthetically pleasing but that’s where the negatives end.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Not weird at all. They make great bikes, but have a history of fucking up product launches. This checks both of those boxes I think.

...as well as the paint jobs.

The Sunweb paint job looks nice (in my opinion).

But there's still opportunity to jack up the consumer line paint.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
This is incredible to me. These bikes cost thousands of dollars and people won’t buy them because they don’t have a $10 piece of rubber “integrated” into it that is often poorly constructed and limited in functionality. The after-market options are endless. Admittedly they aren’t quite as aesthetically pleasing but that’s where the negatives end.

Sounds like a good reason to me to pick a bike that has well constructed, functional storage. :)

I'm a 40K TTer, so I'm not into storage. But I could see a triathlete choosing a bike other than this P5 for that reason (assuming the production version isn't revealed to have a DraftFridge in the back, etc). It's a differentiating factor these days.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure; and I’d prefer to pick the fastest bike and add an xlab product for $20. To each his own. It’s just bizarre to me how obsessed people are with “integrated” pieces of plastic .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sure; and I’d prefer to pick the fastest bike and add an xlab product for $20. To each his own. It’s just bizarre to me how obsessed people are with “integrated” pieces of plastic .

There really is no "fastest bike" anymore. The days where the P3C was hands down better, etc, are long gone. That's why picking the paint job and the best plastic bits is what matters more now. All high end bikes are pretty much FaF. And having effective, easily accessible storage can be directly related to performance. The longer you're out of an aero position messing around, the more time you're losing.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 26, 19 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would imagine Cervelo isn’t hyping the bike yet because they don’t have the inventory to deliver yet.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
There really is no "fastest bike" anymore.

Really?? Cervelo still seems to be doing pretty well in this category
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
trail wrote:
There really is no "fastest bike" anymore.

Really?? Cervelo still seems to be doing pretty well in this category

Cervelo makes fast TT bikes, yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Cervelo makes fastest TT bikes, yes.

Fixed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. But look at the competitions bikes, at that price point they at least have some sort of storage for a triathlon (TT being different of course). Have to wait and see the final product but it’s a head scratcher to me.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it me or there is a fair bit amount of flex in the armpads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is incredible to you.

Not to me.
Not to Canyon, Scott, Felt, QR, Pinarello, ... users, with these nice integrated bento, bottles, repair storage.

Not even to Cervelo designers : remember the P5X ?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take:

The P5 Disk is seemingly a more UCI / TT focused bike (lack of integrated storage, 3:1 fork and handle bar, etc.). Cervelo will likely provide "bolt on" storage options for the top tube (we've already seen a spy pic of this early in this thread) and BB area (ala Specialized's FuelCell and Pinarello's new Tri bike) to still provide excellent options for Triathlon use, but fundamentally the P5 Disk will be Cervelo's premier TT bike.

On the other side, Cervelo will still have their non-UCI, "pure" Triathlon frames such as the P5X (and rumored P3X) to service those who demand a Tri only bike with integrated storage.

This will give customers a choice of bikes for whatever suits their specific needs best.
Last edited by: SAvan: Feb 27, 19 1:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. You misunderstood what I find incredible. Not that they make these bikes. It’s incredible that people make a $10,000 decision based on that piece of rubber. The bike companies are giving the consumers what they want. Companies are smart and selling bikes because of it. It’s like making a car-buying decision because the dealership gives you a remote starter.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 27, 19 4:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
especially given the rolling buffet aspect of IM triathlons. You could conceivably do an IM with zero bottles on your bike and zero food in storage and do quite well...

that said I do like an integrated bento, and if you put one on the P5d it will be sticking up into nowhere since the "stem" is in line with the frame.

Beautiful TT bike

DFW_Tri wrote:
Yes. You misunderstood what I find incredible. Not that they make these bikes. It’s incredible that people make a $10,000 decision based on that piece of rubber. The bike companies are giving the consumers what they want. Companies are smart and selling bikes because of it. It’s like making a car-buying decision because the dealership gives you a remote starter.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right there are many after-market alternatives...downtube, seat tube (I know, bad aero spot), BTS, suit pockets, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
especially given the rolling buffet aspect of IM triathlons. You could conceivably do an IM with zero bottles on your bike and zero food in storage and do quite well...

Yes

you could also conceivably do an IM :
with no bike fit
with non aero frame
with non aero wheel
with no good shoes
with no swim suit
not taking any repair

and do quite well...

It is all the point of optimizing vs ..... non optimizing ?

If a bike is well optimized (aero, light, stable, strong, ...) AND nice looking with integrated storage... why, for the same price (or higher price given usual Cervelo P5 price point) should I go for a TT bike with relatively crappy looking integrated after market storage (which I currently use on my P3 because Cervelo propose nothing).

That said, we will see what Cervelo will propose as integrated storage, and how it is received by the triathlete market...

Maybe in the future most peoples will race without hydration, food or repair set.... such outdated equipments
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's not what I'm saying... I'm saying they built a bike optimized for Time Trial.

Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Yes

you could also conceivably do an IM :
with no bike fit
with non aero frame
with non aero wheel
with no good shoes
with no swim suit
not taking any repair

and do quite well...

It is all the point of optimizing vs ..... non optimizing ?

If a bike is well optimized (aero, light, stable, strong, ...) AND nice looking with integrated storage... why, for the same price (or higher price given usual Cervelo P5 price point) should I go for a TT bike with relatively crappy looking integrated after market storage (which I currently use on my P3 because Cervelo propose nothing).

That said, we will see what Cervelo will propose as integrated storage, and how it is received by the triathlete market...

Maybe in the future most peoples will race without hydration, food or repair set.... such outdated equipments

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I'm a believer that bikes for the most part have reached peak aero, and that spending 10k on a bike instead of 3k doesn't actually buy you much speed, if any. I believe Kiley and folks demonstrated this pretty well in the wind tunnel, no?
So yes, if I am going to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a bike, the factors that make me want to spend over 3k are how it looks, how 'clean' it builds up, and I happen to think that an integrated solution, like Trek's draft box, or the QR box, looks a lot better than a saddle bag, or a huge Xlab contraption hanging off the back.

To each their own I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the assumptions that you are making aren’t true (ie that all the integrated bikes are as fast or that the price for such integration—see Cervelos P5x price tag).

People keeping citing kileys wind tunnel but let’s not forget who came out ahead in that exercise ( and then the associated price difference between the P5 and P5x). I’ll take a 2013 “peak aero” P5 with aftermarket solution bento or other storage solution for 1/4 the price of a P5x or other brand’s slower 2018 version with integrated bento. But that’s just me.

Sorry, my rant is over. Carry on.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 27, 19 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK

but look at Pinarello

With the same frame, they have a bike optimized for TT, and another optimized for tri.

The differences between the 2 bikes : stem (cover ?) + bento, BB storage box : not too difficult to do :-)

Let`s see if Cervelo can do this also. Hope they can, because if they can't, I'm afraid there Kona count (and globally tri count) will go down. Certainly not from Pinarello, but maybe Canyon, Felt, QR, ...

Currently you can buy an efficient tri bike with disk brakes and integrated storage for much less than 10k$ (Felt, QR, ...)
And they are really nice looking.
And Canyon is not yet there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are talking about.
I own a P3 2014 (bought at a good price in 2015) with Xlab bento and Xlab aero pouch + Elite CronoCX
Good aero, reasonable price.

But for next tri bike (disk equipped, for safety reasons), for similar aero performances (and a frame is a very small portion of the drag), and similar price (5 k$, not 10) i will preferably pick one with nice integrated storages (food & repair - happy with bottles BTA and behind seat) vs one without.
I see no reason not to do it.

My choice. And apparantly I'm not alone in this direction. Just look at the offer. And sales.
I have no problem if some peoples make different choices.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Not in my option. Lack of any storage would be a deal breaker for me.

In the same boat, its simply why I have never bought a cervelo and keep going back to Trek for my TT bikes.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

So why cant Cervelo simply add in this little piece of cheap plastic for the consumer? I dont want to spend say 8k + on a bike and have to add a not very esthetic aftermarket option onto my lovely bike. Treks draft box fits: 3 tubes, 3 Co2's, some tools, and manages to look good doing it. They would sell more bikes if they would simply add this onto the bike.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And who said Cervelo won't add that piece of plastic? The bike isn't even announce yet. The only picture we have is in UCI race where you're not even allow to use that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next