Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiCass wrote:
Removable front derailleur hanger, finally!!!

P5 rim already had that as well.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, you're right! Why other manufacturer doesn't embrace that?

I always wanted to remove it on my BMC.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$7500 for Ui2 and training wheels. smh.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18% lighter (with wheels?!) and 17g less drag.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so does the old P5 and current P2/3.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So

P5 disc:

Almost as aero as P5x (17g better vs 31g for P5x), all be it with less storage/round bottles.
Similar head tube stiffness improvements (22%/25%)
Likely better bottom bracket stiffness due to seat tube (not mentioned in P5x)
Lighter by 1kg-1.4kg
UCI legal
Slightly cheaper than P5x but not a lot when case factored in.

Cons over P5x
No repairs storage (seat/rear bottle best/only option)
Bars don't tilt standard form (switch to P5x mount)
Extensions don't allow rotating inwards/adjusting (something I've always wanted to change on my trek)
Not as easy to travel as basebars don't split
Doesn't come with travel case
Narrow fit range, suited more to taller riders. I barely fit a 48 due to short reach for low stack fittings.

Very nice bike in fairness. Looks like they nailed it.

Now who knows how long trek will arrive late to the party or how much custom they will lose in the interim.
Last edited by: Fazz: Mar 12, 19 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Professional French Bike Shop.
https://www.instagram.com/zebikeshop/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's my writeup. i spose i can answer some of your questions. bike rides very nice. adjusts easily; easy to work on. as to storage, the down tube bottle is where this will go. it's a bad place for hydration, but a great place for flat storage.

bars don't tilt: let's talk in a week ;-)

fit range: let's talk in a week ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait 9 days

Fazz wrote:
So

P5 disc:

Bars don't tilt standard form (switch to .
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3x or just a bar/fit adjustment part?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bars don't tilt but you can use the p5x monoriser which does. The question is why didn't they just use that to begin with rather than design a new one
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight and probably the fact UCI regs only allow a very limited amount of tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least there's a cheaper version, my LBS sent out an email with only the DAi2 version and I was like...why would I spend that and not buy the P5x.

However, I think that they screwed up by having a price point to compete with the P5x.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay!! You get your “integrated” top tube storage!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
here's my writeup. i spose i can answer some of your questions. bike rides very nice. adjusts easily; easy to work on. as to storage, the down tube bottle is where this will go. it's a bad place for hydration, but a great place for flat storage.

bars don't tilt: let's talk in a week ;-)

fit range: let's talk in a week ;-)

It surprises me with how high these extensions go now especially with the mono riser that they don’t go back to the old geometry and then have a wider fit range. Or drop all the boxes down on the fit chart down 2-3 cm. Maybe I’m an outlier but there can’t be that many people needing a 660 stack on a 54 frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great writeup Dan. Is it really ~18% lighter than the old P5 with similar quality wheels (other than the disc). I thought disc wheel bikes were just heavier.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great right up,Dan. As someone who just barely fits on this(stack692/reach475), i'm curious to see what you or Cervelo has in-store for us next week
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Great writeup Dan. Is it really ~18% lighter than the old P5 with similar quality wheels (other than the disc). I thought disc wheel bikes were just heavier.

i didn't get the sense it was 18 percent lighter as a whole bike. i thought that was just the frame. it's 1100 grams out of the mold, and that's light for a tri bike. now, which size? i didn't think to ask on that.

when cervelo made the P3C back in - what, 2005? - it was a tri bike that TTers loved, or a TT bike that triathletes loved. this is when you know you've hit it, when your pro teams love it and triathletes love it. this is that bike. strip off all the storage and whatnot, it's a great TT bike. just, my advice - because i know stuff i can't tell you now - order this bike if you want it, because they're going to get a rush of them now, late March, but then there's going to be a lull until the next shipment. so, don't take possession of the bike before another week and a half from today. i have something else to show you that pertains to this bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tall_Coffee wrote:
Great right up,Dan. As someone who just barely fits on this(stack692/reach475), i'm curious to see what you or Cervelo has in-store for us next week

you might be made happy. just bear in mind that pad reach on this bike is to pad rear, so you'll need to normalize for pad rear. if you don't quite fit on this bike as presented here, you're going to have multiple options that make your decision hard well before the end of the month.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seem to tilt on Ben Hoffmans bike.

https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=e7k8gbvuzh3c

luarca wrote:
Wait 9 days

Fazz wrote:
So

P5 disc:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tricky :-)

trailerhouse wrote:
They seem to tilt on Ben Hoffmans bike.

https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=e7k8gbvuzh3c

luarca wrote:
Wait 9 days

Fazz wrote:
So

P5 disc:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i didn't get the sense it was 18 percent lighter as a whole bike. i thought that was just the frame. it's 1100 grams out of the mold, and that's light for a tri bike. now, which size? i didn't think to ask on that.

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I wonder if some pros will continue to grab their (old) P5 conventional-brake builds for climbing courses like Lanzarote, Nice, etc.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I wonder if some pros will continue to grab their (old) P5 conventional-brake builds for climbing courses like Lanzarote, Nice, etc.

no. this new P5 is better in a lot of ways. the one conundrum a pro would have is if he or she was sponsored both by cervelo and a company that makes aerobars (profile design, shimano, zipp). as well as i can tell, you may have options with this bike, but they're all cervelo options. on the old P5 you could ride the aduro or whatever you want. not so this one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This new batch of disc bikes presents a problem. Either you can afford the high spec race wheel option or one has to run slower wheels than current rim brake bike. One cannot change the hub on a disc wheel to accomodate disc brakes. Even going frame only and re-using components I'd need to fork out for the wheels. Guess I'll hang onto my P3SL till the second hand market picks up :)
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neil_laing wrote:
This new batch of disc bikes presents a problem. Either you can afford the high spec race wheel option or one has to run slower wheels than current rim brake bike. One cannot change the hub on a disc wheel to accomodate disc brakes. Even going frame only and re-using components I'd need to fork out for the wheels. Guess I'll hang onto my P3SL till the second hand market picks up :)

P3SL....how many second hand markets have you been holding out for?? ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next