Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So if the P5 is faster...then the P5x is undergoing redesign to get faster? Because that's the only logical COA here. You shouldn't be saying your less premium bike is faster IMO.

but the P5X can carry everything and the kitchen sink, whereas the P5D is a "stripped down" bare bones affair in comparison.

i like how someone else coined it already... the new P5D is a short course bike, the P5X seems to be the choice for long course.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So if the P5 is faster...then the P5x is undergoing redesign to get faster? Because that's the only logical COA here. You shouldn't be saying your less premium bike is faster IMO.

This logic isn't sound. The P5x is more complicated and fast given the amount of storage it has. Sure they could probably make the P5x faster if they eliminated the need for storage, but that defeats the purpose
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can get the answer from the wind tunnel team for that comparison, but basically I think Dan is correct.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I'm dying to know what tilt and other options are coming at the end of the month...

Wasn't (at least part of) the answer spoiled by Aerogeeks? See this image:

Looks like the P5D comes standard with the EX11 (no-tilt), that it can be swapped for the PXEXTU (tilt version from P5X), or swapped for the EX10 (tilt version). My guess is this is what will be announced in the coming weeks along with another frame. I have no secret knowledge here, I wasn't invited to be part of this launch.

Great news!!!

Do we know if the front end work with the PXEXTU and etap?
(The blip box is fairly bing, i think it need to be outside of the frame, so the cable from the bullhorn will need to come out somewhere?)
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can we expect p5six style whitepaper to be released for p5d?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

but the P5X can carry everything and the kitchen sink, whereas the P5D is a "stripped down" bare bones affair in comparison.

i like how someone else coined it already... the new P5D is a short course bike, the P5X seems to be the choice for long course.

I can understand that.

BigBoyND wrote:
This logic isn't sound. The P5x is more complicated and fast given the amount of storage it has. Sure they could probably make the P5x faster if they eliminated the need for storage, but that defeats the purpose

How is that false logic? The idea here is most people looking to purchase a bike aren't on slowtwitch and marketing is pretty much binary. So it's pretty sound reasoning to also expect that the P5x should be made faster than the P5D.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
I'm 6' (183cm)

Currently I'm on a 54cm P3 (2014-later model). With longer stem, to accommodate longer Tri position. Used a shorter stem for UCI position.

With current P5D set-up charts, length-wise, with my tri position, I would need a 58cm P5D. 56cm is .... a bit short. And 58 a tad high.

Moving from 54 to 58 indicate P5D is currently... short, for tri use. Make sense as it is a UCI oriented bike, with the associated rules (for me, 75cm maximum BB to aerobar tip, horizontally. In tri, I'm much longer).

Of course, if in 10 days Cervelo present :
1) new cockpit solution for the P5D with more adjustability (more length, some angle to go med or high mantis, ...)
2) P3X with adjustability equivalent to P5X

... then it will be a brighter day for Cervelo lovers :-)

i don't understand how you would go from a 54cm to a 58cm, in bikes that have pretty much the same geometry. in went from a 56 to a 56.

Hello Dan

it is simple :

I'm looking for a reach (back of pad) of 50 to 52cm. Stack of 62cm. Saddle heigh 78 cm.
At 50cm reach, P5D both size 56 and 58 are OK, but from 51cm only 58cm fit.

On P5X size L is OK.

On my P3 2014 size 54, I simply put a longer stem to go to reach BOP 50cm, but I want to move forward my saddle (currently 6cm behind BB, would like to move to 4cm behind BB, maybe less).

P3 size 54cm was OK for UCI compliant position, but too short for me for tri.
It was possible to correct partially with longer stem. But still too short.
P3 size 56 with longer stem will be great.

At this point, on a P5D size 56 I can't change stem, so it is a bit short.
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Mar 15, 19 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not? The data shows that the OG P5 is faster than the P5d, and that's with a major bar disadvantage. Different bikes for different riders.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
the answer is get the non-tilted one but with the 50* extensions and then use angled spacers under the pads.
Based on tunnel tests we will publish next week (related to tilt generally), that may not be a good answer. You could easily wind up in a slower position. Tilt can be fickle.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.
Will you share this here ?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Why not? The data shows that the OG P5 is faster than the P5d, and that's with a major bar disadvantage. Different bikes for different riders.

Am I the only one with an urge to gather up some top shelf OG rim brake tech? P5 and 808/Super9 for example. Seems now is the time when supply/demand may favor the buyer.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi R2,
To put a proper technical paper together requires multiple engineers / designers to compile data and then write it in a presentable way. You'll notice we're trying to move away from bike specific white papers towards process specific ones such as our "aero tech paper" on our website. Keep in mind we're a "small" company relative to the other manufacturers yet we release just as many road products. It's a lot of work.
If there are some really pressing questions relating to aerodynamics or manufacturing specific to the P5 I can forward them to our engineers to try and get answers for you.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

How is that false logic? The idea here is most people looking to purchase a bike aren't on slowtwitch and marketing is pretty much binary. So it's pretty sound reasoning to also expect that the P5x should be made faster than the P5D.

Because marketing isn't binary and for the same reason mentioned already about storage. A four seat porsche panamera turbo costs more than a two seat carrera s, but is slower. That analogy applies here. Just because it costs more, you can't ignore the fact that it can carry 300 miles worth of nutrition and a full flat-kit. Asking for it to do that and be the fastest is not reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I wrote that down, which i thought made sense since it is built mainly as a tt bike instead of a long distance tri bike. Because they have the px platform for that purpose. But cervelo asked me kindly to remove that post 1) because the wasn’t officially introduced although pictures were all the web 2) because they didn’t agree with me.
Which i don’t get because they may disagree, off course, but what is the use of the px platform....

But i do think it is very nice bike up to 70.3 or hilly course.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jakub,

Is the P5 disc still BBright equipped ?

Also, is there now, or will there be a way soon, to install an aftermarket 31.8mm aerobar/basebar on the P5 disc if we need/want to use a different handlebar set up ?

thanks,
Greg at dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBright yes
Other basebar no

Professional French Bike Shop.
https://www.instagram.com/zebikeshop/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
the answer is get the non-tilted one but with the 50* extensions and then use angled spacers under the pads.
Based on tunnel tests we will publish next week (related to tilt generally), that may not be a good answer. You could easily wind up in a slower position. Tilt can be fickle.

Interested to see these results, as I have always had a strong opinion on this.

Using a high rise ski bend and then wedge angling the arm pads is a great way to get the hands higher and have proper elbow/forearm support, but it does introduce a lot of extra frontal area. The pad wedge is exposed to the wind, and the cyclindrical ski bend extensions are an awful leading edge to clean airflow.
I *think* the big savings are angling up the forearms, extensions, and pads all together ala a bar with tilt adjustment.
Additional support for my thoughts are Wiggins/Sky, Huub Wattbike/WattShop/CarbonWasp, Lange Project 101, and Speedbar (as seen on Campenaerts, Wellens, and Bardet’s bikes) that all have custom made extensions that very closely follow the curvature on their forearms.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Where do you see the OG is faster? It looks about the same to me.

Edit: Though that graph is awful for the colorblind. The used circles for scatterpoints on both lines, vague colors, and a thin lines. And 500g of empty scale on the y-axis.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 15, 19 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

I asked this in another thread and Nick responded that the Aduro is a very good bar. So what is this major disadvantage? People post this on every thread talking about the p5 but I have yet to see any data where this is actually true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Greg,
All of our bikes are BBright equipped including the new P5.There is no "topper" like there is on the S5 to use aftermarket bars. We will have more info next week about different front-end setups.

Cheers,

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I asked this in another thread and Nick responded that the Aduro is a very good bar. So what is this major disadvantage?

Grill likes to use massive hyberbole. "Major disadvantage" means "marginal disadvantage."
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I asked this in another thread and Nick responded that the Aduro is a very good bar. So what is this major disadvantage?

Grill likes to use massive hyberbole. "Major disadvantage" means "marginal disadvantage."

:D

From an aero standpoint yeah, that's fair. That combined with its fit limitations is where it gets quite meh for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Anthony said.
BBRight yes.
Other bars, no. The reason for this is the basebar clamps the steerer in the normal manner, but part of the front end shaping is integrated into the bar (as is the case on P5x) and this sits into the aero profile of the fork, in front of the head tube.

The handlebar setup is very clean to build. There’s attention to detail which some other brands miss. When putting the cables into the bar we immediately noted a part which a massive brand could do with in their ‘class leading’(?) aero road bike to make packing for travel an infinite amount simpler.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:

Other bars, no. The reason for this is the basebar clamps the steerer in the normal manner, but part of the front end shaping is integrated into the bar (as is the case on P5x) and this sits into the aero profile of the fork, in front of the head tube.

That‘s why the frame set comes with the proprietary handlebar?
Last edited by: longtrousers: Mar 16, 19 1:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just out of curiosity, are there any shots of how to access the DI2 box or a closeup of its home (mostly in relation to plugging it up to charge)?

also, where does the battery live?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Mar 16, 19 2:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next