Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if ConnectIQ will really take off or not but from the look of things there could be potential for it to cause us to split into several "tribes":

1) Those who will dig it and implement their own app ideas.
2) Those who will post their "app wish list" and try to get someone to bite the bait and write them.
3) Those who will kick back, relax, and wait until the app they want finally becomes available.
4) Those who won't give a n00b's @$$ because they are too busy running.
5) Those who will not feel like they fit in any of the above tribes, and will constantly blame original firmware, hardware, available apps, and the collective unconscious for their frustrations.

Not sure where I'm going to fit in... number 4 looks enticing...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Irix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had a suunto to play around with and dig into their user made app offerings. If Suunto can make a decent app library with a fraction of the Garmin user base...I think we'll have a lot of 1s and 2s.

I'll be a 3/4 till I think of something...then a 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I scored a 920xt yesterday at the Rock 'n Roll San Jose Expo. Nothing on display but I saw a rep wearing one and asked. Turns out they had brought a supply for a local shop that was splitting duty at the Expo with them. Reached into a magic box in the back and POOF, my new 920xt was on my wrist.

Used it today for the first time at the half marathon and LOVE IT! Definitely a thinner profile, screen is easier to see, functionality was awesome and worked like a charm straight out of the box. I wasn't so sure if the Smart Notifications would work for me, but I have to say it is a great feature. I can see texts, email, incoming phone calls without having to dig my phone out of my pocket unless it is important. I can see this really coming in handy during training when I have something important I don't want to miss but everything else can wait. Other feature I really liked was getting past 1 hour in the race but still being able to see the seconds when on a 4 split screen. My 910xt would just show hours and minutes after 1 hour. Small change but very useful for my purposes. Auto upload through Garmin Connect worked perfectly and saves me the hassle of uploading manually. Overall, very happy with the honeymoon phase so far.

If you have a burning desire to early adopt I'd check out any local races Garmin may be at and hit them up.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [waskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to check one out at the portland marathon expo yesterday...but didn't see any garmin reps. Bummer!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't going to buy one. My 3 year old 910 is just fine... then Thursday it developed condensation inside the display. Great..... There goes another $450+
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I'm still on the 310. That watch rocks!

jaretj

Ha ha! had to laugh. I am still using a 305 (as is my wife) I have had for as long as I can remember! I still use a 705 on the bike - they both do everything I need. No problems with mine - wife had to soft reset her 305 about a year ago, Garmin told her how to do it and its been fine ever since! I have not been tempted by all these new fangled features and most of them see to give more problems rather than solutions, but this one is a bit different. If the GPS is good and there are no early adopter issues with screens cracking, or similar I might actually invest in this one. I like the swim features, believe they might actually work on this one and the colour screen looks a lot better this time around.

Or should I wait another few years and see if the smart products come along.................. I suppose the real question is - when will my 305 or 705 finally die!!!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

do you know what shop the rep was bringing the watches for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was the accuracy?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I wasn't going to buy one. My 3 year old 910 is just fine... then Thursday it developed condensation inside the display. Great..... There goes another $450+

Contact garmin re: a refurb 910XT unit. Should only cost you ~$100 (maybe ~$150 for a 910, dunno).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Contact garmin re: a refurb 910XT unit. Should only cost you ~$100 (maybe ~$150 for a 910, dunno).

Not sure if you can get a 910 for that price. The best I have seen is an ebay seller selling the refub for $239:
http://www.3dealz.com/...d-215-free-shipping/

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin was making great strides in making their watches look good as wearables. Why, please tell me why, did they make the 920xt so freaking ugly. That thing (in both colors) is just cheap looking, boxy and just plain ugly. I know the thing is an incredible piece of technology but, dang, what a step back in making cool technology wearable. I'll stick to SUUNTO and Polar.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
How was the accuracy?

Accuracy was spot on. It was dead on with the mile markers on the course. Better than any previous Garmin I've owned (and there are a lot of them). And that is without the additional GPS system they added turned on.

The only issue I had with it was connecting the sensors initially. It was a little stubborn, but powered it down and back up and it worked fine. After that it has worked like a charm. The thing even saved my butt this morning when I forgot my phone volume was low and a really important call was coming in. The 920xt alerted me of the call and I was able to answer before it went to voicemail. That one call may have paid for the watch alone!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Not sure if you can get a 910 for that price. The best I have seen is an ebay seller selling the refub for $239:
http://www.3dealz.com/...d-215-free-shipping/

Prices through Garmin for a refurb unit should be less, as long as you are willing to send in your old unit.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waskier wrote:
Other feature I really liked was getting past 1 hour in the race but still being able to see the seconds when on a 4 split screen. My 910xt would just show hours and minutes after 1 hour. Small change but very useful for my purposes.

For me that is one of the real benefits of the new watch.
A really simple update but for me it also has a big impact on my overal happiness scale
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
jaretj wrote:
I'm still on the 310. That watch rocks!

jaretj

Ha ha! had to laugh. I am still using a 305 (as is my wife) I have had for as long as I can remember! I still use a 705 on the bike - they both do everything I need. No problems with mine - wife had to soft reset her 305 about a year ago, Garmin told her how to do it and its been fine ever since! I have not been tempted by all these new fangled features and most of them see to give more problems rather than solutions, but this one is a bit different. If the GPS is good and there are no early adopter issues with screens cracking, or similar I might actually invest in this one. I like the swim features, believe they might actually work on this one and the colour screen looks a lot better this time around.

Or should I wait another few years and see if the smart products come along.................. I suppose the real question is - when will my 305 or 705 finally die!!!

I'm still on the 305 as well. But it may finally be time to upgrade. I think if you are waiting for the 305 to die you may want to wait for the FR975 coming out in 2019.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To each his own I guess...I like the new colors, but I only use the watch to workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a friggin' awesome watch.

Plus it buzzes whenever I get a message/phone call, so I know to look at my phone. :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to Garmin today, and right now the estimated ship time is the end of the month. That means I can't have it before IM Fl, and since I know I'll be out of commission awhile afterward, it eliminates my need for speed. However, they said that 3 months after it is out, they will start taking trade-ins, so I may do so with my 310 for $100 off the price of the 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I talked to Garmin today, and right now the estimated ship time is the end of the month. That means I can't have it before IM Fl, and since I know I'll be out of commission awhile afterward, it eliminates my need for speed. However, they said that 3 months after it is out, they will start taking trade-ins, so I may do so with my 310 for $100 off the price of the 920.

Will the trade in be $100 for the 910 as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:

Hmmmmm Tradeins. I suspect what I'll be doing is holding onto my 310 until I know that my new 920 is working the way I want. Then, it'll serve as a backup for awhile. Then, once I fully trust the 920, I'll either sell the 310 off to someone starting out in Tris or donate it. I know folks who are doing Tris but can barely afford it. Personally, I'm looking at the CAF (Challenged Athlete Foundation).

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100 for the 910 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAF is an awesome idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
CAF is an awesome idea.

GREAT idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the Fenix2 back in April after using the 310 for years. There are many things the 310 does that I have yet to figure out on the Fenix2. The main one is the recovery HR. I loved how the 310 would countdown 2 minutes and would display my HR. That was a great feature that you could trend throughout your training.

Does anyone know if that capability exists on the Fenix2? Calling DC Rainmaker...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered my from Roadrunner sports. Talked to them on the phone. Supposed to have their first shipment on the 10th of this month and then will ship. .......Recieved a confirmation email with the same info.......................we will see
Quote Reply

Prev Next