Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
If you're watching pennies, the garmin 310xt is the most profound value there is out there.

Does everything but the indoor swimming and costs $150.

I'm guessing used 910s will be hitting the market soon for a similar price as I might be selling mine to upgrade as the live tracking and better battery life has me intrigued.

Selling my 910XT to a buddy today for $250; it's older tech, no reason to gouge people. :)

That being said, it'll be fun to watch eBay explode over the next few weeks. ;)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
What makes you think its a typo? They can sell it for whatever price they want if they think people will buy it. Perhaps they anticipate the short supply in the first few weeks and have a price that matches that demand. Maybe it includes the fancy new "smart" HRM.

Probably that their site lists $449 for the 920 without HRM and $599 for the one with. You don't think it's likely that a $150 HRM is a typo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
What makes you think its a typo? They can sell it for whatever price they want if they think people will buy it. Perhaps they anticipate the short supply in the first few weeks and have a price that matches that demand. Maybe it includes the fancy new "smart" HRM.

Garmin wont let their dealers offer coupons for their products, you think they will let a dealer sell it for $100 over msrp?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the quick release and mounts from the 910 will work on the 920? Or just the bike mounts themselves? I have three bikes all with the mount for the 910 quick release. I hope I don't have to replace them all. I wonder if the course navigation issue on the 910 will be resolved with the 920.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the quick release and mounts from the 910 will work on the 920? Or just the bike mounts themselves? I have three bikes all with the mount for the 910 quick release. I hope I don't have to replace them all. I wonder if the course navigation issue on the 910 will be resolved with the 920.

Looks like a brand new system (make sense, since it's structurally different from the 910XT):
https://buy.garmin.com/...69_010-11251-48.html

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I can see the piece that mounts to the watch as being different but the attachment mechanism could have possibly stayed the same so that the mounts on the bikes can remain unchanged.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am right with you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Yes I can see the piece that mounts to the watch as being different but the attachment mechanism could have possibly stayed the same so that the mounts on the bikes can remain unchanged.

Gotcha; I'd imagine that the base quarter mount on our bikes won't/hasn't changed...they use it across all their tri/bike products, so I wouldn't expect them to change it (it seems like it's become an industry standard, really).

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It very well may be a typo, but preventing coupons/discounts is not the same as telling a retailer that they cannot charge more for the product (its actually the opposite). It's called a suggested retail price for a reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be the actual pricing as the watch includes Connect IQ. They're probably banking on that as a premium product. Don't want it - head down to the 910xt, or lower with the 310xt for different pricing points. Stores are still selling the Garmin 610 running watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prices are $449 and $499.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [antialias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
If you're watching pennies, the garmin 310xt is the most profound value there is out there.

I'm guessing used 910s will be hitting the market soon for a similar price as I might be selling mine to upgrade as the live tracking and better battery life has me intrigued.

You know what else does live tracking? The phone that you have to carry anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [stupidflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stupidflanders wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/garmin-forerunner-920xt-the-best-triathlon-watch-gets-1641114744

Review
"We haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but we'll let you know once we do."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dgoulart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's none. However, I use my 500 during for cycling in conjunction with my 910xt mainly because I want to see like 7 metrics on one screen without having to scroll. However, I used to suck it up for year and just read the 4 on my 305 until it started shitting the bed after 5 years of daily abuse.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
masterslacker wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:

You know what else does live tracking? The phone that you have to carry anyway.

Not so bad for a 2 hour ride/run but when it gets up to the 4 hour mark, GPS on the phone and the battery is completely dead so no chance for an emergency call if needed. Although perhaps with my new phone the GPS won't drain the battery so bad...although it may be app related too...what app do you use for live tracking?

Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
DC Rainmaker says the mount itself is the same: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/....html#comment-779368
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my 620 for live tracking and really enjoyed that feature. Couldn't justify having an expensive tri watch (910) and the 620 for running only, so I returned it. I'm excited about the 920 though. The live tracking uses very little battery on the phone, even for runs of several hours duration. Same as live tracking with the newer Edge bike computer models. MUCH superior to using an app separately on your phone. With a separate device doing the hard work, the phone just needs a little BTLE and intervals of cellular connection to send live track data. That way after running or biking for hours, still plenty of phone juice left for calls or emergencies or finding the nearest post-ride coffee shop. I would say my phone uses about 5-7% battery per hour when livetracking while the screen is off and the phone is put away.
Last edited by: mountaindood: Oct 1, 14 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is live tracking better than Find My Friends?

(Trying to convince myself I would be fine with the 910 and not the flashy new 920)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
How is live tracking better than Find My Friends?

(Trying to convince myself I would be fine with the 910 and not the flashy new 920)

If you just want someone to know WHERE you are, FMF is fine.

Garmin Livetrack is nice though because it emails out a link to everyone you choose on your list. Anyone who has the link can see you with just an internet browser, even a mobile internet browser, and it can autoshare to Facebook or whatever if you select that option. Once someone clicks, they see where you started, the route you have taken so far, heart rate, speed, power, cadence, etc on a graph. It's pretty cool for anyone who cares about all that extra data. One of my favorite things is that it doesn't show large gaps if you stop and are having a bad day, the graph just continues when you start again. As an anecdote, my girlfriend watches me ride via my 810 and one time I got into a bad wreck. She knew immediately and called me because she saw my speed drop from like 25mph to 0 in just a second and my line went way off the road into the dirt during that time. Pretty cool.

Although prohibited currently during races, if the rules ever change (or you accidentally left your phone on your bike or something......), anyone with the link could see exactly how you're doing during an Ironman, know if you're sticking to your power/HR goals, and your family/friends could come see meet you on the course to cheer you on (not that I have any experience using it in this manner.....).
Last edited by: mountaindood: Oct 1, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lame part is you need your phone for live tracking. Dont carry my phone while running. Maybe the next gen will have cellular upload
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree. I rarely carry my phone on runs and typically only on longer 25-35 milers when I'm wearing my hydration backpack.

The Bia sport watch has cellular and I believe does live tracking. That's a potential option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
The lame part is you need your phone for live tracking. Dont carry my phone while running. Maybe the next gen will have cellular upload

Totally agree. I have been using living tracking for awhile with by edge 510. I had a crash and broken collar bone. No cell reception, it was kind of pointless as live tracking could not get the SOS out. I am hoping for a GPS only system like some other systems have, even if I have to pay a small subscription fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Yup, and it's against WTC and USAT rules to carry it, so it's useless in a race environment; only good during training. And as others have said, 99% of us carry our phone for emergencies anyway.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
As an anecdote, my girlfriend watches me ride via my 810 and one time I got into a bad wreck. She knew immediately and called me because she saw my speed drop from like 25mph to 0 in just a second and my line went way off the road into the dirt during that time. Pretty cool.

Glad to hear it worked well for you! The ante-anecdote to that is when I recently stopped at an orchard to get a cider doughnut (mmmmmm), and got a concerned call from my fiancée! Had to confess.
Quote Reply

Prev Next