Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
aw3 wrote:
I really don't see why people want 2G/3G/4G connections in fitness devices, it's just an unnecessarily complication IMO.

The only real benefit I can see is for Live Tracking in cases where you wouldn't want a cell phone with you, but I dread to think how quickly that would eat through the battery.

I was a beta tester for several generations of the Bia device that has such connectivity - one of the selling points was that this connectivity offered 'panic button' functionality. As I recall, to activate it all you had to do was something like press and hold a hardware button for 3 seconds and a customizable text message with your current location would be sent to a pre-specified list of contacts. I talked with several women (my wife included) about this feature and without exception they thought this was a great idea.

I'm also a beta tester. I was planning on testing the live tracking at Lake Tahoe over the weekend, but it obviously didn't happen.

Live tracking battery life was projected to be ~12 hours, and I believe they are making improvements to get that up to 17 (that's the goal anyway.) In addition, the workout uploads via the 2G network, so it's a simplification rather than a complication. It just uploads no matter where you're at - no wifi needed.

Others are right that the 2G network is getting a little outdated though. They do have a solution for when it shuts down. But think about it, that won't happen until 2017 - ~3yrs away. Most of us replace our watches faster than that anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
chris948 wrote:
There's no way you're going to see a SIM card in a triathlon watch anytime soon, go look at how much space even a 3g chipset takes up, and you need a halfway decent antenna somewhere. You can't have a good screen, battery life, and a ton of connectivity right now. They're not holding back features because they feel like it, power and space are very real constraints on a watch.

Umm, already there

First device: http://store.bia-sport.com/
Secondary device: https://www.timex.com/one

I have lapsed majorly in my ability to keep on top of the triathlon tech space as much as I used to but the Timex One is uncannily similar to what I was picturing last night during a run and thinking "why does this not exist".

Not that the Timex One is the perfect manifestation of the idea but it is such a huge step in the right direction. I can't state this enough, I do not want to run with my giant ass phone. I'm thrilled people finally realize that.
Now you've just got to come to the realization that you don't have to. I don't run with mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KoopaTroopa wrote:
What I would really like to see is all these companies stop trying to one-up each other by adding new features and just start making things smaller, lighter and cheaper. I have a 910xt and a 500 and am perfectly satisfied with both devices. My fear is that 2, 3, 5, whatever years down the road when my current stuff craps out there will no longer be comparable replacements.

The unfortunate fact in this market is that "The new one is just like the 910xt, only 30% smaller" doesn't move nearly as many units as "ZOMG! The new one has a color screen and can live update my Strava!" Nevermind that it's still the size of a toaster, costs $500 and you're shit out of luck if you forget to put it on the charger the night before.

The reality is that new generations are not always driven by consumer need , demand or even benefit. It is often competitive forces that drive product "enhancements."

Unfortunately, the retail marketplace continues to consolidate, while the number of suppliers continues to grow. That means competition for shelf space (or page space,, digitally) is fierce. So while the 910XT is still a perfectly serviceable product, Garmin's competition is coming to retailers and showing new products that are "better". So Garmin need to continue to enhance their products to keep the competition at bay as much as improve the consumers' experience.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KoopaTroopa wrote:
What I would really like to see is all these companies stop trying to one-up each other by adding new features and just start making things smaller, lighter and cheaper. I have a 910xt and a 500 and am perfectly satisfied with both devices. My fear is that 2, 3, 5, whatever years down the road when my current stuff craps out there will no longer be comparable replacements.

So, the takeaway here is what, exactly? Companies should stop innovating and creating new products so that if yours shits the bed in half a decade, you can buy the exact same one? Even for ST, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
So while the 910XT is still a perfectly serviceable product, Garmin's competition is coming to retailers and showing new products that are "better".

That sentence got me thinking now: what triathlon watch is better than the 910XT? Just a single watch, not a combination of devices, with more robust core functionality for indoor/outdoor swim/bike/run training/racing, in a tri friendly form factor...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dgoulart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgoulart wrote:
Power13 wrote:
So while the 910XT is still a perfectly serviceable product, Garmin's competition is coming to retailers and showing new products that are "better".

That sentence got me thinking now: what triathlon watch is better than the 910XT? Just a single watch, not a combination of devices, with more robust core functionality for indoor/outdoor swim/bike/run training/racing, in a tri friendly form factor...

The 310XT. ;-)

It actually works, tracks distances fairly accurately, never F's up elevation by sending you up to the Death Zone, and doesn't cost a fortune.
Battery lasts more than long enough for almost anything you could possibly want to do with it.

I don't care that it's not great in the swim, or does any of that gee-whiz stuff that's not actually necessary.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works great on the bike and run but not the swim... You've found your soulmate!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
Works great on the bike and run but not the swim... You've found your soulmate!

Bazinga!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. U mad bro?

You conveniently glossed over the part where I said I'd like the devices to get smaller, lighter and cheaper. How is that not innovation?

If there's really a market out there for a $500+ wrist mounted internet enabled shoebox and Garmin, Timex, et. al. want to serve it, then cool. I hope they make a giant pile of money doing so. I just wish they would channel some of that money into R&D for what I'm asking for. I can't possibly be the only one out here who thinks a lighter, slimmer 910xt would be far preferable to the direction these things seem to be heading. Or maybe I'm just a weirdo. Wouldn't be the first time.
Last edited by: KoopaTroopa: Sep 24, 14 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, man. A 910xt in a smaller package would be great. I don't need "connectivity" because I'm trying to "unconnect" when I'm training. Also improve the GPS accuracy/precision; I got a Fenix 2 and that core functionality has gotten worse. I thought the indoor pace function would be great. Sadly, it doesn't work at all. I want a multi sport watch that isn't big and clunky, has great GPS performance (accurate, precise and picks up satellites quickly), tracks indoor swimming, and supports ANT/BTL for my power meters. Boom.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [moho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moho wrote:
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/1000000372/garmin-forerunner-920xt-gps-hrm-run/

I ended up buying one and they said only 6 available when I did. I also received confirmation that it will ship October 4th.

We shall see

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
I'm with you, man. A 910xt in a smaller package would be great. I don't need "connectivity" because I'm trying to "unconnect" when I'm training. Also improve the GPS accuracy/precision; I got a Fenix 2 and that core functionality has gotten worse. I thought the indoor pace function would be great. Sadly, it doesn't work at all. I want a multi sport watch that isn't big and clunky, has great GPS performance (accurate, precise and picks up satellites quickly), tracks indoor swimming, and supports ANT/BTL for my power meters. Boom.

Assuming the GPS performance is acceptable, you pretty much just described the 920XT.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably us Aussies just being slow (as per usual)... I think the 620 (from memory) was released in July/August last year and then shipped late November? So timing from my bike shop does sounds about right - release October - ship Feb'15?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure you ain't gonna be happy with the end result.
I'll bet October 4th comes and goes ........ no 920 ships, And then people that ordered later (through a different outlet) get theirs before you.
I'm just thinking RRS jumped the gun on this one.
Hope I am wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said before...we shall see.

I can see the shipment being delayed for whatever reason, by I can't see RRS sending out after any other shipments. Aside them being told to put on their site and then take it down, they are reputable company that knows how to handle online pre orders, etc.

I think the October 4th date is likely a date Garmin gave them and is probably the launch date. Makes sense when you think about every thing that has been posted online (online manuals on their own site, RRS listing, etc). This whole pre launch is Garmins fault I suspect. At least someone within Garmin. RRS sports knows better to push a product prior to it be acceptable to the manufacture.

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
tgarson wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
chris948 wrote:
There's no way you're going to see a SIM card in a triathlon watch anytime soon, go look at how much space even a 3g chipset takes up, and you need a halfway decent antenna somewhere. You can't have a good screen, battery life, and a ton of connectivity right now. They're not holding back features because they feel like it, power and space are very real constraints on a watch.

Umm, already there

First device: http://store.bia-sport.com/
Secondary device: https://www.timex.com/one

I have lapsed majorly in my ability to keep on top of the triathlon tech space as much as I used to but the Timex One is uncannily similar to what I was picturing last night during a run and thinking "why does this not exist".

Not that the Timex One is the perfect manifestation of the idea but it is such a huge step in the right direction. I can't state this enough, I do not want to run with my giant ass phone. I'm thrilled people finally realize that.
Now you've just got to come to the realization that you don't have to. I don't run with mine.

I've never ran with mine and I never intend to. Given the context that we are discussing, the point is I would like to continue to run without one but still have access to things such as music and basic connectivity.

Music you say? Why not run with any myriad of MP3 players then??? Because non-cloud based music models are dead or dying. The Timex One won't solve that problem, but there is a non-trivial untapped market for a portable fitness-minded device that can provide connectivity to Spotify, Pandora, Google Music, etc without carrying a phone.

Wifi or bluetooth links to a companion device is an interim compromise at best. Unless the trend in phone sizes reverses dramatically the (eventual) future will be in smart watches or head mounted displays that provide their own connectivity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is exactly why I got my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.. it is bucking the phone size trend but not compromising on specs (oh dear.. I sound like an advert!)
I actually come down from a Galaxy Note to it, just so that I could do sport with it

for me it is small enough to run/bike with (I use the awesome QuadLock system for bike and arm)
it is waterproof so no hassle in the rain

I doubt a watch will ever fulfill the needs I have for my companion device (great camera, video, internet, music, calling etc all in one that is workable)

Yep.. it is still another thing to carry and my left arm is now stronger than my right.. but for me it is working out well.
Not for everyone.. but for me a big thumbs up.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the description posted on the roadrunnersports.com, they do not explicitly state whether the 920xt would be able to track HR while swimming.Given that the V800 and the Ambit3 provide this function, it would make sense for Garmin to include it in the 920xt as well. If not, would that be a significant deal-breaker?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is:

Timex One = motoactv + design by a proper fitness device company + 3g capability for texting+uploads+livetracking

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [MartinR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MartinR wrote:
In the description posted on the roadrunnersports.com, they do not explicitly state whether the 920xt would be able to track HR while swimming.Given that the V800 and the Ambit3 provide this function, it would make sense for Garmin to include it in the 920xt as well. If not, would that be a significant deal-breaker?

The V800 and the Ambit3 provide HR tracking for swim only when paired with an HR monitor model capable of handling that as well. I think the description posted on the roadrunnersports.com was for watch + HRM-RUN, which I don't think works for swimming. So not sure how much can be inferred about the watch itself from that description... I get your point though, still a bit of a concern there...

Now we know about ConnectIQ, but it was not mentioned in that description. Could that description be bogus? Or is the watch not going to be compatible?

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/garmin-connect-iq-apps.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Assuming the GPS performance is acceptable, you pretty much just described the 920XT.

So, after 9 pages of back and forth, some click baiting, and a whole lot of conjecture....

Do we know anything more than we did before? I mean other than "New features already debuted in other (garmin) watches" and probably smaller than the 910.

Oh, and its more blue than the 910.

...and soonish?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
I'm with you, man. A 910xt in a smaller package would be great. I don't need "connectivity" because I'm trying to "unconnect" when I'm training. Also improve the GPS accuracy/precision;I want a multi sport watch that isn't big and clunky, has great GPS performance (accurate, precise and picks up satellites quickly), tracks indoor swimming, and supports ANT/BTL for my power meters. Boom.

B-I-N-G-O!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dgoulart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having an HRM with a store and forward system so that it can store your HR while swimming and then update your device when you get out of the water sounds great. And, if all you do is wetsuit swims it will likely work well BUT, you can't wear an HRM strap without a top. So, in a pool, you can't wear it. Whenever you push off the wall the water grabs it and pushes it down as I found out. The solution would be to wear a mio type device.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for example.... You could wear the Suunto Ambit 3 on one wrist and the Mio Link on the other while swimming? Technically I think this would work as the Ambit 3 has BT4.0 or better.... Am I off track here?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
So for example.... You could wear the Suunto Ambit 3 on one wrist and the Mio Link on the other while swimming? Technically I think this would work as the Ambit 3 has BT4.0 or better.... Am I off track here?

That is too far apart. But, my son has tried the 910 on the same wrist as the mio and that has mostly worked. Ideally you'd want the mio to do a store and forward as well. Or, get the HR LEDs in the 920, without adding bulk and without reducing battery life.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply

Prev Next