Prev Next
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
multiple colors available?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
Although prohibited currently during races, if the rules ever change (or you accidentally left your phone on your bike or something......), anyone with the link could see exactly how you're doing during an Ironman, know if you're sticking to your power/HR goals
It's probably just a matter of time before the rules adjust to account for things like MyAthlete Live and Garmin LiveTrack. Basically you'd want the radio part of Garmin GTU 10 paired with the BTLE 620/920XT LiveTrack part. Once Apple Watch is out, it practically needs an iPhone for GPS, so you'll need to stow the phone somewhere. Then we'll get new rules wrt. remote coaching etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
mountaindood wrote:
Although prohibited currently during races, if the rules ever change (or you accidentally left your phone on your bike or something......), anyone with the link could see exactly how you're doing during an Ironman, know if you're sticking to your power/HR goals
It's probably just a matter of time before the rules adjust to account for things like MyAthlete Live and Garmin LiveTrack. Basically you'd want the radio part of Garmin GTU 10 paired with the BTLE 620/920XT LiveTrack part. Once Apple Watch is out, it practically needs an iPhone for GPS, so you'll need to stow the phone somewhere. Then we'll get new rules wrt. remote coaching etc.

When a race company figures out they can leverage allowing people to carry phones to show where they are will increase registration, then it'll happen. Especially if people can pay a small extra fee and then get their location collectively dumped on a map with everybody else so the race company can show a live map of where everybody is. Instead of the company paying a ton of money to put trackers on everybody, just let people use what they already have. Like how Google does their traffic layer on their maps.

It's money waiting to be made...

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To those who make mention of connect IQ I would like to point a few things out. In it's current teaser release IMO it really only has 2 features related to the 920 itself:
1/ You can pretty up the screen.
2/ You can connect to an ANT device not yet supported by the firmware.
Other than that I think that it is rather limited, being a high level API. You can start to leverage the data and usefulness a little more once you add an external device, eg smartphone, but this of course means carrying said smartphone, which renders the 920 as little more than a wearable because the smartphone can be used in place of most of the functions the 920 will provide. I for one would like to see:
1/ Access to the FIT data.
2/ Access to the system settings.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
To those who make mention of connect IQ I would like to point a few things out. In it's current teaser release IMO it really only has 2 features related to the 920 itself:

1/ You can pretty up the screen.
2/ You can connect to an ANT device not yet supported by the firmware.
Connect IQ promises to be much more than that.

Garmin wrote:
What You Can Build

DATA FIELDS
Customize built-in features
Present activity information in a new, creative way

WIDGETS
Provide information at a glance
Add custom cards to the main carousel
Respond to user interaction and create custom interfaces
Leverage GPS and sensor data
Use BLE to communicate with mobile phones/Internet

APPS
Get extended access to the wearable device
Read and record the FIT file
Access accelerometer
Access the ANT+ sensors and ANT generic channel
Leverage GPS and sensor data
Use BLE to communicate with mobile phones/Internet

Customization complexity / "richness" progression: Watch Faces < Data Fields < Widgets < Apps .

http://developer.garmin.com/.../what-you-can-build/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
masterslacker wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
If you're watching pennies, the garmin 310xt is the most profound value there is out there.

Does everything but the indoor swimming and costs $150.

I'm guessing used 910s will be hitting the market soon for a similar price as I might be selling mine to upgrade as the live tracking and better battery life has me intrigued.

You know what else does live tracking? The phone that you have to carry anyway.

I found live tracker useful on my bike rides. On Saturdays, I do training rides with a buddy. We carpool to our Saturday morning spot and start our training ride at different distances because we're of different fitness levels. I ride 70 miles and he rides 50 miles. I give him the keys and he can track me when I'm done. He can go out and get coffee if I'm fairly far away and etc.

On weekdays, I also do solo training rides after work. If, for some reason, I have a flat and have no repair kit - at least they can get to my location (or use waze). If I were to get hit by a truck and the driver drove off...at least they can find the body.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Fenix 2. I love it! I wasn't a fan of the 910. The Fenix 2 has all of the features of the 920 and then some
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [MUTri23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apologies if this has been posted- Its on the garmin website now with a short youtube clip

http://garmin.blogs.com/...-a.html#.VCzYVRZ-WSp
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [MUTri23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fenix 2 doesn't have support for GLONASS, multiple bike profiles, Connect IQ, Virtual Pacer / Virtual Racer, Auto Scroll, Auto Lap, Auto Multisport, customizable screens, daily activity tracking, VO2Max estimate from bike power, pace/cadence from foot pod, Garmin Connect Wi-Fi sync, …

920XT doesn't have outdoor features.

Edit: Product Comparison at https://buy.garmin.com/...ompareProduct=159116 .
Last edited by: uucee: Oct 1, 14 22:07
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BreadPudding wrote:
chris948 wrote:
masterslacker wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
If you're watching pennies, the garmin 310xt is the most profound value there is out there.

Does everything but the indoor swimming and costs $150.

I'm guessing used 910s will be hitting the market soon for a similar price as I might be selling mine to upgrade as the live tracking and better battery life has me intrigued.

You know what else does live tracking? The phone that you have to carry anyway.

I found live tracker useful on my bike rides. On Saturdays, I do training rides with a buddy. We carpool to our Saturday morning spot and start our training ride at different distances because we're of different fitness levels. I ride 70 miles and he rides 50 miles. I give him the keys and he can track me when I'm done. He can go out and get coffee if I'm fairly far away and etc.

On weekdays, I also do solo training rides after work. If, for some reason, I have a flat and have no repair kit - at least they can get to my location (or use waze). If I were to get hit by a truck and the driver drove off...at least they can find the body.

I agree that being able to track someone out on a ride is great...but you don't need the garmin to give you that! If your phone has a data plan, I assume it can install apps. If so, there are a multitude of apps that can accomplish the exact same thing. I believe iOS has it built in, and I know that Android has it as a part of G+.

Since the garmin can't do any of the tracking without the phone, this feature is really adding nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm done with the Polar V800. Garmin, I'm coming back, sorry I left you!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is also active now: http://forerunner920.garmin.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing...is the new antenna placement which has me intrigued since my 910xt loses satellite connection all the time in perfect clear skies with no trees or buildings after have "30" satellites just a few minutes earlier.

Probably wait til 2015 before deciding to drop the money and look to sell my 910xt but so far I'm pretty sure I'll buy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, live tracking with metrics coming from the fitness device is much more valuable than just an app on the phone. My wife can tell that my HR is good, watts is good, and my current speed is good, so she's got nothing to worry about. Just a simple dot on a map that is barely moving doesn't tell you anything about the current state of the individual. He or she could be passed out in a ditch and you'd never know.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Actually, live tracking with metrics coming from the fitness device is much more valuable than just an app on the phone. My wife can tell that my HR is good, watts is good, and my current speed is good, so she's got nothing to worry about. Just a simple dot on a map that is barely moving doesn't tell you anything about the current state of the individual. He or she could be passed out in a ditch and you'd never know.

The way that problem was dealt with in 2008: Carry a phone, wife will notice the blue dot stopped moving, call the phone that's transmitting the blue dot in the first place.

2014: sell an incredibly expensive watch that still needs the phone and hope she isn't banking on wattage or current speed at a red light because you'll she'll still call the phone.

I'm sure some people are thrilled, but I don't get it. I have no desire to replicate my phone on my watch and still need the phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, a couple of things:

1). I haven't had a cell phone for over 3 years now. And, while I wouldn't mind one, I don't want the additional expense.

2). I had hoped that I could use something like live tracking without the phone but I figure that's a couple of years off still.

3). I am considering getting a cell phone, primarily for live tracking because I do a lot of riding by myself. But, I also ride in areas of limited cell reception so I'm not sure.

4). I currently have a 310 and 800. My 920 has been ordered.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
mountaindood wrote:

All it will take is one person to send their SO (who is attempting to KQ or do something else "significant") live updates of the time gaps between them and their competition via text message...brouhaha ensues...it's ruined for everyone...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
uucee wrote:
mountaindood wrote:

When a race company figures out they can leverage allowing people to carry phones to show where they are will increase registration, then it'll happen. Especially if people can pay a small extra fee and then get their location collectively dumped on a map with everybody else so the race company can show a live map of where everybody is. Instead of the company paying a ton of money to put trackers on everybody, just let people use what they already have. Like how Google does their traffic layer on their maps.

It's money waiting to be made...

That would be awesome, my friend.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
texafornia wrote:

The way that problem was dealt with in 2008: Carry a phone, wife will notice the blue dot stopped moving, call the phone that's transmitting the blue dot in the first place.

2014: sell an incredibly expensive watch that still needs the phone and hope she isn't banking on wattage or current speed at a red light because you'll she'll still call the phone.

I'm sure some people are thrilled, but I don't get it. I have no desire to replicate my phone on my watch and still need the phone.

Oh believe me, I get your point and agree. The issue is that in today's world, people hold time at a premium and can't wait long enough to see if that dot is moving or not. 30 seconds is an eternity for people raised on skip-jump edited videos and fast-forwarding through commercials and crap like that. The Prairie Home Companion crowd will gladly stare at a tiny screen for a long time to see movement, but their days are numbered. It's that feeling of not having their time wasted that people will pay that extra money for.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's say Challenge wants to one-up Ironman. They could develop a smartphone app that collects your gps location once every 20 minutes or so. It sends that point back to Challenge and puts everybody that is using it on a big map. Family and friends can watch the race from all over the world. Put ads on the map and sell the app for 99 cents. Now you can pay the pros more prize money with infrastructure and hardware that already exists.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone that ordered from RoadRunnerSports received confirmation that it would be shipping on the 4th? I Just preordered and got an email saying it will be shipping on the 4th. I dont know if that is just old data still in their system though, before they took it down it said shipping on the 4th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many courses do NOT have full GPS coverage. I know that the old IMC course didn't have coverage along parts of the back side. Don't know about the new course @ whistler.

For me, as I don't have a phone, I'd like a device that I can put a SIM card in that can do the connection between the watch and Cell Network. But, something small, lite and far less bendable (&#128516;). Then, it isn't a phone but I can still let others know where I am. Oh, and could still get messages from others as well.

The discussion continues with respect to radios in the TdF but I can see more and more people having their phones buried away in their jerseys and using LiveTrack along with message notification. It is pretty hard to see if someone has a phone stashed with their flat repair kit or in their jersy with a vest or bundle of food. And, as per the above, if someone introduces a small device to connect your watch / other items, to the network' it'll be even tougher.

If WTC, Challenge and others would step up and resolve this then there would be less pressure but at this time they have not done so. Heck, the Ironman Athlete Tracking App barely works and is so far behind as to be almost useless until afte the race is well over.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall having a very similar experience with them when the Forerunner 620 was announced. They sent an email with a completely unrealistic date and kept pushing it back a few days at a time. In the end, I got frustrated with them and ended up canceling my order and finding one locally.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just have a "pull-over" area either in or shortly after T1 where people can turn on the app and then put it away again. And putting on the website where cell coverage sucks and there might not be any updates is super easy. I used to make cell-phone coverage maps and it's not hard for people to report back where there's poor coverage on road sections and then a GIS person highlight those segments on the map.

And hey, if the athlete doesn't want to bother with it because they are trying to podium or KQ or no family is watching, then they don't have to.

Last edited by: texafornia: Oct 2, 14 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 920 XT [NateUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured, When I ordered it said 4-8 weeks, but then I got the email and was like huh? I am going to keep my order with them because I get 5 airline miles on the dollar and the honor VIP membership for 10% off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next