Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Word on the street is Porte has no broken bones or significant medical issues, needs to observe rule #5 in my opinion, that is why Froome has 6 grand tour wins and he has zero. Heck, Dan Martin made the front group today!!

Non-displaced right clavicle fracture...

Kudos to Craddock for surviving the bumps with his injuries.

Ok, thanks, makes more sense. He could possibly target worlds with great form and freshness. I truely feel for Porte, i thought he would give the best challenge to Froome and make for an exctiting battle all the way to Paris.

Edit: looking at the power files on strava today was blistering, around 27.5 for the front group, classics type power outputs coming into and on the pave. There was no sitting in today.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jul 15, 18 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me just remind you of my pick for today, a few posts up:
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Degenkolb, Terpstra

Super impressive day for all the spindly GC guys, Porte notwithstanding. We’re it not for bad luck Uran would have been right there too.

Now into the mountain stages and not needing to tune in until last 15k.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Let me just remind you of my pick for today, a few posts up:
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Degenkolb, Terpstra

Super impressive day for all the spindly GC guys, Porte notwithstanding. We’re it not for bad luck Uran would have been right there too.

Now into the mountain stages and not needing to tune in until last 15k.

Kudos.
That was a baller first 9 stages.
No one has laid a glove on Sky. They’re always at the front of the race yet rarely work as they’re not looking for stages. They seem to run tires that do not flat and they don’t hit the deck. And they have cool team cars. They probably get all the local chicks too.
Who else has a legit shot at it now? Don't make me root for Valdbag.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
No one has laid a glove on Sky. They’re always at the front of the race yet rarely work as they’re not looking for stages.

Technically Froome has gone down twice (more of an out-of-control dismount today), and got lucky both times.

I also don't see great team strength. Today Thomas and Sky were entirely alone up front for the important part of the race. Luke Rowe was next closet at 12 minutes back at the finish.

Movistar had Erviti and Amador to bail out Landa, which means 3/4 of their team was near the front all day.

Dumoulin had Andersen and Theuns.

Yates had Hayman and Impey.

Naesen has been unreal for Bardet.

But if Froome had been on the ground for 40 seconds instead of 5 seconds, Movistar could have gone all-in and Sky couldn't have done a damn thing about it.

Now that I've said this, I'm sure Sky will throw down a perfect back-breaking climbing train in the mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
No one has laid a glove on Sky. They’re always at the front of the race yet rarely work as they’re not looking for stages.

Technically Froome has gone down twice (more of an out-of-control dismount today), and got lucky both times.

I also don't see great team strength. Today Thomas and Sky were entirely alone up front for the important part of the race. Luke Rowe was next closet at 12 minutes back at the finish.

Movistar had Erviti and Amador to bail out Landa, which means 3/4 of their team was near the front all day.

Dumoulin had Andersen and Theuns.

Yates had Hayman and Impey.

Naesen has been unreal for Bardet.

But if Froome had been on the ground for 40 seconds instead of 5 seconds, Movistar could have gone all-in and Sky couldn't have done a damn thing about it.

Now that I've said this, I'm sure Sky will throw down a perfect back-breaking climbing train in the mountains.

In fairness, there were a lot of crashes early and Sky rode strong at the front one the shit show began keeping Froome and Thomas out of trouble. You can say there weren’t there at the end when things “could have” mattered or you could say they were at the front early when it did matter.

And responding to the above post...Sky went down 4x today. Bernal, Kwiatkowski, Froome, and the guy who went down in front of Froome and took him out. Looked like GvA actually rode over Froome’s bike...he’s lucky his bike didn’t break as a bike change would have really complicated things.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to be more specific, BMC and QS have had reason to work, chase......Sky stays out of trouble

missed a lot of the bedlam of yesterday but if Sky went down like that and stayed more or less in the front of the race then that's good on them and illustrates the kind of team they have.........larger point is that they're intact and ready to dominate this......which sucks, to me anyway........all due respect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only way to way find out how dinged up kwia, moscon, and bernal are after those crashes is to attack early and often tomorrow. problem is, how banged up is everyone else - dan martin? landa? it would be nice to see tjvg go for the early break to add to the pressure of the team trying to control things - which i would think must be sky with G in virtual yellow.
i sure hope teams are willing to take some shots tomorrow, but i understand the urge to hesitate after all the crashes, the unknown feelings after a rest day, the unknowns of the first extended climbs. i'd love to see teams with 2-3 cards to play to put some danger men in the early break (kruiswick? landa?).....
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 2 summit finishes to follow after tomorrow, I'm expecting the GC riders to be fairly conservative. Especially as you say with all the crashes yesterday and the rest day today. Would be a good day for somebody like Barguil to go for a stage win, but he's still close enough on GC that he wouldn't be given a long enough leash.

I'm expecting some relatively unknown riders to get in a breakaway, which will be hauled in on Col de Romme when the Sky train tests everybody's legs. Might see a few losing time if they're feeling it from crash or rest day. Probably not a lot of fireworks, but will be interesting just to see how everybody's form is on the mountains. Nibali has been unusually quiet to date, might see an attack from him tomorrow. I think the descent from Colombiere to the finish is fairly straightforward, so probably not an opportunity for a good descender like Froome or Nibali to get away. Valverde the most likely stage winner, though Thomas might also want to take yellow in style. Sky have been pretty clear that Plan A is still Froome, but I think they'll protect Thomas as well for as long as they're able to, and being in yellow might just prolong that point even more.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
Good on Trek and Degenkolb. As much as I don't like Trek (don't think I could ever overlook what they did during the whole LA thing), they did Degenkolb a solid. They trusted to have him on the roster despite 2 years in the wilderness, and now Trek has a marquee opportunity for advertising.

Yeah, not a Trek or DG fan, but watching him in tears in the interview it's pretty hard not to be a fan for a few minutes.

Didn’t start watching till 4-5 years ago soncan you clarify what Trek did during the LA era besides association? I don’t get the feeling that the same vitriol is directed to Nike.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Word on the street is Porte has no broken bones or significant medical issues, needs to observe rule #5 in my opinion, that is why Froome has 6 grand tour wins and he has zero. Heck, Dan Martin made the front group today!!

Initially, Ochowicz on Porte: "“His collarbone isn’t broken. There are no broken bones. He’s been to hospital in Cambrai and is now on his way to Annecy. His bag is waiting for him there.”

https://twitter.com/.../1018508375825485825

I understood that as Richie saying "Fuck this" and Ocho responding "Fuck you, pack your shit. Pussy"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Initially, Ochowicz on Porte: "“His collarbone isn’t broken. There are no broken bones. He’s been to hospital in Cambrai and is now on his way to Annecy. His bag is waiting for him there.”

I understood that as Richie saying "Fuck this" and Ocho responding "Fuck you, pack your shit. Pussy"

That is the same thing I read, and interestingly I have read mixed views on if is or is not broken.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone figure out what happened with Porte crash? Was a spectator trying to cross the road? The whole thing was unusual and I’m surprised there is no discussion on this.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
With 2 summit finishes to follow after tomorrow, I'm expecting the GC riders to be fairly conservative. Especially as you say with all the crashes yesterday and the rest day today.

Probably not a lot of fireworks, but will be interesting just to see how everybody's form is on the mountains. Nibali has been unusually quiet to date, might see an attack from him tomorrow.

I would agree, but I’m wondering how some of the other GC team directors are thinking in terms of Froome’s fitness. On paper, Stages 11 and 12 are better opportunities to use energy and create time gaps, but do you make all three days hard to see if the Giro starts showing up in Froome’s legs?

Even if you can’t create time gaps on Froome, if he shows weakness (maybe dangling during a few surges) while Thomas continues to ride strong...maybe you can stir the pot in terms of Sky’s GC leadership?

Easier said than done though. While a few of the Sky domestiques hit the deck, a lot of the other GC domestiques had to work hard yesterday as well. Sucks that Landa went down and made half his team drop back for a long chase. Looked like Quintana and Valverde were very comfortable yesterday, and their team also looked strong up to the point Landa crashed. The had the numbers in the main pack just like Sky...except they didn’t really work at the front saving energy...until they were forced to.

Also curious if Movistar dropping back for Landa will pay off. They did well to close the gap to 7 seconds...very close to ST...but Landa also had a huge pain face on seemingly struggling to sit on his teammates wheels as they chased back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sky's position sort of neutralizes Movistar's, meaning from a long way out domestiques control tempo as usual but then GT marks Landa and Froome Quintana, the closest threats on time respectively. That said, curious how riders like Nibali, Yates and Dumoulin who came through in tact respond to test Sky's condition. Make it as hard as possible to try and crack or soften Froome up.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 16, 18 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali will certainly put in a few digs and see if he can spot any weakness. Not sure Dumoulin has either the inclination or ability to do that though, he's more suited to steady tempo than attacking on the climbs.

Would love to see Landa and Quintana tag teaming and putting in some big attacks, but fear that team politics may have them marking each other more than working together to crack Sky. Plus Quintana has been disappointingly conservative in the last few Tours.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

Didn’t start watching till 4-5 years ago soncan you clarify what Trek did during the LA era besides association? I don’t get the feeling that the same vitriol is directed to Nike.

I hear you. I don't think my "not a fan" reaches the point of vitriol. And my critiism of Degenkolb is purely on some of his racing tactics, and wholly unrelated to Trek/Lance.

But I just wasn't a fan out of how when Lance was trying to destroy people's careers, Trek looked the other way then had nothing to say once all those people were found to have largely been telling the truth all along. Tons of bike companies indirectly sponsor(ed) doping. Sponsoring destruction of individual livelihoods crossed a line with me.

But that new Madone is amazing. And I secretly lust after the Speed Concept even though it's pretty old now. So I may have to sell out my cherished, smug self-righteousness at some point.

But I'll never wear a damned pair of Nikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Toms Skujiņš's alleged motor-doping has been resolved

http://www.stickybottle.com/...s-wheel-tour-france/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone please explain to me why GvA can't win? Is it that he cannot climb with everyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why GvA can't win? Is it that he cannot climb with everyone else?

Basically, yes. He's a slightly heavier guy (listed as 74kg when most of the climbers will be at least 5kg lighter than that, and many of them 10kg), and his engine is more suited to shorter bursts of power. He can get over the shorter climbs but when it comes to the high Alps he'll drop off at some point.

Some guys his size have dropped kg and sacrificed some top end power to become all rounders. Dumoulin is one, Wiggins was another. Maybe he could do that, but if he doesn't want to because he prefers classics and stage hunting then that's also a great career. Some have suggested Sagan could convert himself to a GC rider if he wanted to but he's having far too much fun winning green jerseys, world championships and classics!

It's just about possible that GVA hangs on to yellow tomorrow if the climbers are all taking it steady. He will lose it by the end of Wednesday for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

GVA is an exceptional cyclist, in particular one day races. He has a unique blend of endurance and raw power over a wide range of power durations. But, this power comes at a cost, weight. Granted we are talking 15 pounds over froome but close to 30 pounds heavier than the pure climbers. The long climbs at steep gradients are pure w/kg and he has a few too many kgs to hang on. Furthermore, you have to specifically target and train for grand tours. You cannot train for both the classics and winning a grand tour, they are too different. Nibali might be the only grand tour cyclist who can on occasion compete in the classics, Wiggins is another example, but Wiggo had a track background so clearly a lot of top end power.

Edit: I do think GVA might be able to hang on to yellow tomorrow, he is a good climber, and just might make it through tomorrow. Stage 11 it is over for GVA.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jul 16, 18 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Edit: I do think GVA might be able to hang on to yellow tomorrow, he is a good climber, and just might make it through tomorrow. Stage 11 it is over for GVA.

agreed. GVA isn't dead yet. he's a great bike rider. plus, with Porte gone and TjV looking fragile, BMC may give Greg more resources than originally planned.
its quite conceivable that he could keep yellow through Stage 10's "descent" finish.

however, there is no way he survives these finishes. a guy like Quintana could put two to five minutes on Greg at the finish.

Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Quote:

agreed. GVA isn't dead yet. he's a great bike rider. plus, with Porte gone and TjV looking fragile, BMC may give Greg more resources than originally planned.
its quite conceivable that he could keep yellow through Stage 10's "descent" finish.

If GVA can crest the Col de Romme with the GC group, I think he hangs on to yellow and BMC will help him on the last climb and descent of the Col de la Colombiere to help make that happen.

I think tomorrow is likely to just be a feeling out and softening up stage for the GC. Small GC gaps might form on the last climb, but I don't know if any of the GC guys will be fully invested to go full gas on the descent to maintain or increase those gaps. If so, that will help GVA (assuming he gets dropped to begin with) to either chase back on or limit his losses to Thomas.

I'm kind of hoping we see early action though that would spit out GVA early. Not because I don't care for GVA...simply because I want to see someone test Froome's form every chance they get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

That is the same thing I read, and interestingly I have read mixed views on if is or is not broken.

there are of course collarbone breaks and then there are big breaks and displacements...i watched it as it happened early and the team doc was on it fast, really pressing on it and examining and it was a little unclear and it took him a while to sit him down......I was hoping it was negative and that he'd at least try to get back on, and truthfully, I kept thinking he would......Martin sure has taken some big hits and kept going but riding hard with a broken clavicle is another level...Tyler Hamilton? or was that his B sample twin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

there are of course collarbone breaks and then there are big breaks and displacements...i watched it as it happened early and the team doc was on it fast, really pressing on it and examining and it was a little unclear and it took him a while to sit him down......I was hoping it was negative and that he'd at least try to get back on, and truthfully, I kept thinking he would......Martin sure has taken some big hits and kept going but riding hard with a broken clavicle is another level...Tyler Hamilton? or was that his B sample twin?

Listened to the Lance podcast and that was the first time I had heard Porte is leaving BMC for another team after the tour (or whenever his current contract is up...guessing August 1st). I don't follow pro cyclists contracts, so I didn't even know Porte's BMC contract was expiring...but I guess that explains some of the bitterness in his GMs tweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Listened to the Lance podcast and that was the first time I had heard Porte is leaving BMC for another team after the tour (or whenever his current contract is up...guessing August 1st). I don't follow pro cyclists contracts, so I didn't even know Porte's BMC contract was expiring...but I guess that explains some of the bitterness in his GMs tweet.

Everybody's BMC contract is expiring....that team in it's current form is history.
Quote Reply

Prev Next