Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
so up 1:25 for GT....So just talking tactics out loud, and I guess we all think/know/assume Froome is the leader....but.....with that type of advantage, assume Froome will be allowed to go in the attack and force other GC guys to bring him back and then let GT sit in and counter. So let's just play that out. What if Froome cant get time tomorrow?

When can we really have some "drama" within Sky? Or are we ultimately just waiting for GT's one "bad" day like all the rest of the GC guys are bound to have and it's just simply Froome's "bad" day is so much less than all the other guys, etc.

Don’t be fooled. Froome is the leader. Sky will make sure he wins the tour if it’s someone from their team. Either that bad day will come naturally or GT won’t attack on a day Froome does.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
Don't forget, Quintana has shown in the past that he knows how to pound it up Alpe d'Huez.

I hope that is pink. I am really sick of the Quintana hype. He is just a latch -on and has not had any success with attacking that I can recall. I know I am nothing to write home about, but as a pro you would think that the #1 rider for a team would at least TRY to be aggressive. Vandevelde has shown guts, but all Q does is sit on froomes butt.

Agreed. NQ is a tool as is Movistar. Valverde deserves better. Valverde set up that climb perfectly for NQ and nothing ever happened other than Valverde looking like a fool to attack that far out. That attack needed a 2nd follow through from NQ and it never came.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
so up 1:25 for GT....So just talking tactics out loud, and I guess we all think/know/assume Froome is the leader....but.....with that type of advantage, assume Froome will be allowed to go in the attack and force other GC guys to bring him back and then let GT sit in and counter. So let's just play that out. What if Froome cant get time tomorrow?

When can we really have some "drama" within Sky? Or are we ultimately just waiting for GT's one "bad" day like all the rest of the GC guys are bound to have and it's just simply Froome's "bad" day is so much less than all the other guys, etc.

Don’t be fooled. Froome is the leader. Sky will make sure he wins the tour if it’s someone from their team. Either that bad day will come naturally or GT won’t attack on a day Froome does.

Yep, the only way GT is going to win the tour is if he goes rogue and somehow finds a way to hang on.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why GvA can't win? Is it that he cannot climb with everyone else?

As you saw today GvA lost 15 min in one stage.
One of the things to realize is that when speeds are high, it is very hard to gain a lot of time. But when speeds are low, speed increments make a huge difference. On a flat stage, when one rider is going 30mph, there is a lot of effort put into by another rider to go 31 mph. But when climbing that same increment in power is a difference of 9 mph vs 14 mph.

You see the same in running. If you are running 8:00 pace vs someone else going 7:00 pace. That’s 1 mph difference but think about the effort it takes to go that pace to gain 1 min in a mile. Now suppose you bonk and you walk going 20:00 pace. If you just start power walking you can easily go 17:00 pace. That’s a difference of only 0.5 mph yet you gain 3 min per mile.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Yep, the only way GT is going to win the tour is if he goes rogue and somehow finds a way to hang on.

Only way is Froome drops out for injury or illness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

If GT wins maybe someday he will make a documentary called "slaying the wheezer."
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a head scratcher. Dude has all the talent in the world but getting worse when he should be hitting prime. Sure seems like it’s something upstairs or lack thereof.

One thing I’ve never understood with guys like this is why teams anoint them the next great thing and ship em off to the Tour to get their teeth kicked in. I know Tejay finished 5th and all but that’s practically a different race than for the win. Nibali, TD and Quintana all went to other GTs and learned how to manage the race and win. Seems like a better long-term formula.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, the form to get 5th at the Tour would at least get you a podium at one of the other GTS, and the racing tends to be more tactical and varied as well so good for development.

I think it's a hangover from Lance and Lemond. Lemond used the Giro to get in shape for the Tour a couple of times but never won it, Armstrong was 100% about the Tour in his prime years. Those 2 did a huge amount to raise interest and awareness on cycling in the US, but unfortunately mainly centred around the Tour. So American public and sponsors tend to see the Tour as the benchmark, and riders gravitate that way as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
Don't forget, Quintana has shown in the past that he knows how to pound it up Alpe d'Huez.

I hope that is pink. I am really sick of the Quintana hype. He is just a latch -on and has not had any success with attacking that I can recall. I know I am nothing to write home about, but as a pro you would think that the #1 rider for a team would at least TRY to be aggressive. Vandevelde has shown guts, but all Q does is sit on froomes butt.

Agreed. NQ is a tool as is Movistar. Valverde deserves better. Valverde set up that climb perfectly for NQ and nothing ever happened other than Valverde looking like a fool to attack that far out. That attack needed a 2nd follow through from NQ and it never came.

I wish Landa was not injured so we could get an idea of his true capabilities. He was the one I was cheering on for this year's Tour. I thought maybe Landa and NQ could be the one-two attack against the Sky machine. Last year, Landa baby sat Froome on most of the climbs, and actually looked stronger than him. This year, he crashed hard and this surely impacts his riding. Now, he's so far behind in the GC that he'll have an almost impossible task to ever catch back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

If GT wins maybe someday he will make a documentary called "slaying the wheezer."

LMFAO. Good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t remember this many sprinters out this early. QS must be short roping Gaviria up the mountains at this point to keep him in it. Wonder how far back Sagan is.

Rolland looks fresh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s crazy they’re all out, and Gaviria on ropes.. Who else is left, Demare?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It’s crazy they’re all out, and Gaviria on ropes.. Who else is left, Demare?

Gaviria gone too. Wow. Really wondering about Sagan now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Sagan dangling on the back? Just tuning in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea. stages like this are too much for the sprinters. AND, when you add in that they can't beat Sagan ... well, what's the point?

I'm hurting. I can't win anyway. peace out
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked like Sagan was at back of Peloton with 88k to go. Unless something goes really wrong he ought to be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

Go watch the highlights from the 2015 Alpe d'Huez stage. Quintana dropped Froome and put him on the ropes with the whole tour at stake. If Sky hadn't saved Richie Porte's matches all week for that one stage, Froome might have lost that year.

That was 3 years ago. What has he done since? He just sits and holds on. He is impressive to some degree, but nothing like he is advertised as.

And yes...i meant valverde, not vandevelde!
Haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Looked like Sagan was at back of Peloton with 88k to go. Unless something goes really wrong he ought to be ok.

Groenewegen was struggling yesterday too. These back to back to back monster stages are destroying the sprinters. I wonder if they will ignore the cutoff for them today. Otherwise it will be Sagan vs bunch of little Spanish climbers in Paris. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Sagan vs bunch of little Spanish climbers

kills me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some ride by Kruijswijk. Hope he hangs on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valverde and Vandevelde share many similarities. Honest mistake.

As for Quintana, only 9 GC World Tour wins, with 2 grand tours, a Giro and a Vuelta.
Sitting on the wheel of the odds on favorite half way through the race may not be a bad strategy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Otherwise it will be Sagan vs bunch of little Spanish climbers in Paris. Lol

LOL!!! Good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see some fight from GC contenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quintana dropped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Movistar dumpster fire at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next