Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Slowman wrote:
hey. maybe i'm wrong. maybe these guys are going to french kiss all the way to paris.

??? What you were mistaken about was believing that Froome should go out of his way to do anything for Thomas. Neither Sky nor Froome has that attitude. Currently they are competing against each other. It's "game on" until it isn't anymore. I expect Thomas to pop before long, but anything could happen.

no. i get it. 2 guys on 1 team this deep into a grand tour both going for the overall win. happens all the time. rarely any heartburn.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just weird to me.

Thomas says all the right things as a teammate and really comes off sounding as if he doesn't deserve it and that it's inevitable that he loses it. Froome meanwhile smiles his crocodile smile and is mildly complimentary. Does anyone think these guys get to this level thinking it's not theirs to take? Is GT incentivized to give away his own chance at a GT title and the major $$ that goes with it?

I say, ride as a team yellow jersey until or unless he falters. Not as a team* (except for the one guy on the team who'll probably win it and by the way, the one guy who can most help him). Respect the jersey. They're saying basically GT's taking care of it until we decide it's Froome's. And they're probably right.

And if it comes down to it, Froome will shank Thomas and swear he didn't. If he carries himself differently, then I'll be the first to say chapeau (hat).

Pivot: Does anybody have more fun riding a bike than Phil Gil? Love the flyers he takes when he could just sit on and not race.

The one guy who probably has more fun is Peto. Kind of cool that the guy who a few years ago was criticized for not racing smart and not caring enough now does everything right, wins everything and still says he's rather put on a show than win. He's a testament to playing loose. And having immense natural talent. Yeah, that.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now, Dumoulin is Thomas's biggest ally. Being so close to Froome for 2nd, and possible he can make that time up on Froome on during the TT, Dumoulin likely won't let Froome go on an attack and chase him down while Thomas can sit it. Dumoulin will then just hope Thomas eventually cracks, and/or has a bad TT.

If Dumoulin was farther behind Froome, Dumoulin and Bardet could fuck with Thomas and sit up while Froome attacks. See just how loyal Thomas is to Sky and see if he'll chase Froome...which could expose Sky as both their leaders will be putting in work while Dumoulin and Bardet follow and possibly pounce later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to question about GT's past Tour records.....he's never been in position that matters right? He's always been in the Sky train that drives tempo hard every day until one by one they all fall off right? SO it's not as if GT has had a bad day because of the tempo....he's had a bad day because he's been the sacrificial tempo guy, right?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Eganski Bernal keeps crushing everyone in the mountains the whole thing might be a moot point. Thomas would have to crack or Froome would have to crack him, because right now Thomas looks to be stronger. I somehow hope TD f*cks them both up though it doesn't seem likely; he's surpassed Nibali as my fav current GT guy.

Pretty idiotic that the drama and competition is between two teammates.

Btw, ASO and NBC Gold ought to send Sagan a fruit basket. He's the only true star in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
One thing to question about GT's past Tour records.....he's never been in position that matters right? He's always been in the Sky train that drives tempo hard every day until one by one they all fall off right? SO it's not as if GT has had a bad day because of the tempo....he's had a bad day because he's been the sacrificial tempo guy, right?

Sky sent Thomas to the Giro as the GC captain in 2017, was in 2nd place (6 seconds off the lead) and he crashed on stage 9, lost 5 minutes, then DNF'd. But other than that, he has been assigned super domestique role, and has no doubt fallen off the GC standings because of it. However...in playing that role, I do think he has had bad days where he wasn't even one of the last 3 guys for Froome at the end. I could be wrong though.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Btw, ASO and NBC Gold ought to send Sagan a fruit basket. He's the only true star in the sport.

Next year the ASO should remove all the nasty mountains, and make all the finishes with a punchy 5% uphill, and the TT is the descent of Alpe d'Huez. It would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And more cobbles stages. If they did that Sagan might be able to win whole thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Slowman wrote:
hey. maybe i'm wrong. maybe these guys are going to french kiss all the way to paris.

??? What you were mistaken about was believing that Froome should go out of his way to do anything for Thomas. Neither Sky nor Froome has that attitude. Currently they are competing against each other. It's "game on" until it isn't anymore. I expect Thomas to pop before long, but anything could happen.

Well so far they've been able to compete against each other without violating the code of cycling and significantly benefiting someone else. There's a good chance that a fun moment will come when there's a choice to be made. My popcorn is prepped and ready to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And more cobbles stages. If they did that Sagan might be able to win whole thing.

All cobbles, dirt, and gravel roads....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

All cobbles, dirt, and gravel roads....

And barriers. Oh...and no DQ'ing for protecting yourself with elbows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All this talk of cobbles has me thinking of Northern Clasissics. Too soon?
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 20, 18 19:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
All this talk of cobbles has me thinking of Northern Clasissics. Too soon?

Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Right now, Dumoulin is Thomas's biggest ally. Being so close to Froome for 2nd, and possible he can make that time up on Froome on during the TT, Dumoulin likely won't let Froome go on an attack and chase him down while Thomas can sit it. Dumoulin will then just hope Thomas eventually cracks, and/or has a bad TT.

If Dumoulin was farther behind Froome, Dumoulin and Bardet could fuck with Thomas and sit up while Froome attacks. See just how loyal Thomas is to Sky and see if he'll chase Froome...which could expose Sky as both their leaders will be putting in work while Dumoulin and Bardet follow and possibly pounce later.

Good points. I’m guessing Thomas is the team guy ultimately. But I’d like to see what he can do with all the other talent all in for him. They dwarf the other teams and, frankly, Froome, while great has benefited from Sky being loaded. Why not provide GT with the same advantage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
It's just weird to me.

Thomas says all the right things as a teammate and really comes off sounding as if he doesn't deserve it and that it's inevitable that he loses it. Froome meanwhile smiles his crocodile smile and is mildly complimentary. Does anyone think these guys get to this level thinking it's not theirs to take? Is GT incentivized to give away his own chance at a GT title and the major $$ that goes with it?

I say, ride as a team yellow jersey until or unless he falters. Not as a team* (except for the one guy on the team who'll probably win it and by the way, the one guy who can most help him). Respect the jersey. They're saying basically GT's taking care of it until we decide it's Froome's. And they're probably right.

And if it comes down to it, Froome will shank Thomas and swear he didn't. If he carries himself differently, then I'll be the first to say chapeau (hat).

Pivot: Does anybody have more fun riding a bike than Phil Gil? Love the flyers he takes when he could just sit on and not race.

The one guy who probably has more fun is Peto. Kind of cool that the guy who a few years ago was criticized for not racing smart and not caring enough now does everything right, wins everything and still says he's rather put on a show than win. He's a testament to playing loose. And having immense natural talent. Yeah, that.

At the end of the day cycling is about dollars and cents, Thomas winning yellow dose not help Sky the way a Froome victory does. Furthermore, Thomas is paid to help Froome, that is his job. The entire point of having Thomas is to help Froome win the tour after the Giro, Thomas is supposed to be strong! At the end of the day the only difference between Froome and Thomas is the crash, otherwise this would be a Froome victory lap at the moment. The few bonus seconds Thomas has swept up would be erased in the ITT. If i was the director at Sky i would consider Thomas a domestique and have him pulling at the end of stages, even if he is the leader he is not my chosen leader for the tour. You have to have discipline to be sucessful, look at coaches like Belichick of the New Enlgand Patriots, he is defied by discipline and everybody doing their specific job, regardless of popularity. Froome has won the tour 4 times because everybody does their job. Thomas needs to do his job and start working for Froome.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly agree with a couple of caveats:

1) I actually think if Thomas were to end up winning, it would be a very good thing for Sky. They miss out on having a 5 time winner to equal Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil and Indurain, but on the plus side G is a very popular rider, he's a fresh face who isn't tainted by the salbutamol case other than by association, and it would give Sky a 3rd British Tour winner and show they're not totally dependent on Froome. I don't think for a moment that they will switch leaders unless or until circumstances force them to, but if Froome crashes or fades out then a Thomas win is a hell of a silver lining
2) Thomas is already "doing his job" - he's not ignoring team orders by not helping Froome, the team have said he'll be protected as long as that doesn't compromise Froome's chances. From everything he's said, and his history as a rider, I have absolutely no doubt that if called upon he will bury himself to help Froome, even if it costs him yellow. But I'm sure they'll avoid making that call as long as possible, and with the train they've got it's entirely possible that they can deliver both riders to the end of every stage

I also think that Froome will do everything to win on the road, but is a fundamentally decent guy and wouldn't stoop to trying to use team orders to take the lead if Thomas proves too strong for him to catch him. And I think he'd be the first to congratulate him (while also vowing to come back stronger next year and get that 5th Tour).
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
live.cyclingnews.com wrote:
Amongst the 32 riders up front are Quick-Step Floors trio Julian Alaphilippe, Philippe Gilbert and Yves Lampaert.
Lampaert is Belgian national champion and today is Belgium national day.

ya knew QS was gonna have a go. that's a pretty effective trio.
how close is that climb to the finish? is this a Dan Martin / Valverde finish or could a break make it?

re: GT and Froome, on the Alp, Froome rode in the leaders spot. GT rode last domestique. when Bernal peeled off, there was GT with Froome on his wheel. and GT held his place til the chaos started. that right there says Sky is Froome's team. major professional hat-tip to GT. and, major kudos for making sense of the chaos. at the finish, he rode smartest.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think break will stay away, because there's not much incentive for either the GC teams or the sprinters to bring it back. Sky in particular will be happy with a quiet day given they're in pole position, there's still the Pyrenees to come and today doesn't look like a day when they could pick up big time gaps. Valverde/Martin would love the last climb if they hit it in the lead pack, but doubt they will.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Mostly agree with a couple of caveats:

1) I actually think if Thomas were to end up winning, it would be a very good thing for Sky. They miss out on having a 5 time winner to equal Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil and Indurain, but on the plus side G is a very popular rider, he's a fresh face who isn't tainted by the salbutamol case other than by association, and it would give Sky a 3rd British Tour winner and show they're not totally dependent on Froome. I don't think for a moment that they will switch leaders unless or until circumstances force them to, but if Froome crashes or fades out then a Thomas win is a hell of a silver lining
2) Thomas is already "doing his job" - he's not ignoring team orders by not helping Froome, the team have said he'll be protected as long as that doesn't compromise Froome's chances. From everything he's said, and his history as a rider, I have absolutely no doubt that if called upon he will bury himself to help Froome, even if it costs him yellow. But I'm sure they'll avoid making that call as long as possible, and with the train they've got it's entirely possible that they can deliver both riders to the end of every stage

I also think that Froome will do everything to win on the road, but is a fundamentally decent guy and wouldn't stoop to trying to use team orders to take the lead if Thomas proves too strong for him to catch him. And I think he'd be the first to congratulate him (while also vowing to come back stronger next year and get that 5th Tour).

Good points as well, i agree.

By the way this has been a great (civil) discussion, kudos to everybody!!
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good points made. I’m still not down with the Sky strategy. I think it pretty much undermines Thomas’ bid.
I imagine Froome riding behind him going, “don’t fuck up, don’t fuck up, don’t fuck up”.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I imagine Froome riding behind him going, “don’t fuck up, don’t fuck up, don’t fuck up”.

Not Froome's style. More like, "Looking great, mate. Legs feel fresh? Doing great. Keep it up."
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Not Froome's style. More like, "Looking great, mate. Legs feel fresh? Doing great. Keep it up."

Or "we're 0.73% below our target power for this climb, you need another 3.26 watts"
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I believe that. Just mixing it up.
I know a couple of former Sky guys who liked him, thought he was a good teammate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race today. That climb needed to be 1k longer for some really good GC action. Peleton took it so easy today leading up to the climb that nobody not named Nairo would get dropped.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stage today, final climb looked brutal. Roglic looked really good and can TT. Sky might need Froome and Thomas both to take out TD; he’s appearing to get stronger and stronger, and will smoke Froome on stage 20.

Wonder how many climbers saw Sagan today and are thinking “oh shit, how are we going to get rid of him at worlds?”
Quote Reply

Prev Next