Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gaviria's antics are really getting to me. Dude needs to simmer down a few notches

I say GvA just go for it tomorrow. Dude is looking for a contract and has put his faith in the team by not linking up with anyone before hand. I don't think a stint in yellow will help his cause, but a stage win on a classics-type stage will (either attracting other teams or attracting a sponsor).

Call the winner for tomorrow now:

GvA, Sagan, Terpstra
Stuyven and Vanmarcke

I'd be happy to see Vanmarcke finally win something on the cobbles six years after his last cobbled victory
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Jason N wrote:
Wow...Looked like Gaviria had enough pop to win and pounce on Sagan going too early to gain massive points if Griepel hadn’t closed him off, but in the end I guess Sagan is the one who gains 30 points on Gaviria.

Maybe a little bit of retribution to Sagan for last years ruling against him?

Interesting to see Sagan not lock on Gaviria in the final 500. Gaviria was too far back just like yesterday, but Sagan seemed impatient. Which is unusual.

I felt like Griepel should have been entitled to his line. He wants Sagan’s slipstream, and given his position over Gaviria at the time, it should be his to claim.

Sagan did not have a choice, QS final leadout man pulled off and Sagan is on the front with 250 to go, not much of a choice at that point. Did not notice wind direction in the sprint, might have been a cross/head?

I think Greipel was fine overall after rewatching the sprint, not a perfect line but no clear drastic movement with clear danger, Gaviria should get the relegation per rules.

I thing Greipel got relegation for a different infraction than his tussle with Gaviria.

I’ve going with Calmejane or Fuglsang for the breakaway succeeding in a win tomorrow.

Looks like Tony Martin is out with broken vertebrae too.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Degenkolb, Terpstra
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Jason N wrote:
Wow...Looked like Gaviria had enough pop to win and pounce on Sagan going too early to gain massive points if Griepel hadn’t closed him off, but in the end I guess Sagan is the one who gains 30 points on Gaviria.

Maybe a little bit of retribution to Sagan for last years ruling against him?

Interesting to see Sagan not lock on Gaviria in the final 500. Gaviria was too far back just like yesterday, but Sagan seemed impatient. Which is unusual.

I felt like Griepel should have been entitled to his line. He wants Sagan’s slipstream, and given his position over Gaviria at the time, it should be his to claim.

Sagan did not have a choice, QS final leadout man pulled off and Sagan is on the front with 250 to go, not much of a choice at that point. Did not notice wind direction in the sprint, might have been a cross/head?

I think Greipel was fine overall after rewatching the sprint, not a perfect line but no clear drastic movement with clear danger, Gaviria should get the relegation per rules.

Right, but what was Sagan doing in that position? His trademark is to follow the wheel of the favorite and either stay in the slipstream for a high finish, or come around if he can. He went away from that bread and butter, which I think had to do with the fact Gaviria was hanging so far back instead of 3rd or 4th wheel. I suppose if Sagan gets the setup wrong only 10% of the time, that’s still pretty darn good.

I think tomorrow is going to highly depend on what type of GC splits are made and who is motivated to keep the pressure on to expand or close those GC gaps while not contending for the stage. So hard to predict as there are multiple motives compared to a 1 day classic.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my laziness, and or to continue the discussion, where in relation to the stage start/finish is all the pave sectors? Is this a back half of stage fireworks only type of setup?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Profile of stage 9 with the pave sectors. They'll hit the first sector around 4:45 - 5am pacific. I'm waking up early for this one.

Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.....I hope this breaks up the race, just for the duleness that I think Sky/Froome has put on the Tour over the past few years (yes I know he's bringing in more fatigue from the Giro). I like it, and it seems it gives the other rides some "pop" beyond just the normal sprinter stages.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I'd be happy to see Vanmarcke finally win something on the cobbles six years after his last cobbled victory

I'm hoping it's a GT domestique big day out tomorrow, like the caddie's pool scene at Bushwood. These one day guys never get a real shot at a GT stage.

I'm going with Sep, Theuns, Lampaert. Gaudin? Hayman?

Why wouldn't these guys target this stage? Stuyven too. Benoot? Sep should be fresh.

QS- we know they're looking to kill it. Who will they put in the break? Yves L I guess. It comes back then PG goes, etc.

The make up of the break will be interesting. Teams with great one day guys with no reason to stay back. I can't see any other way this will play out. Wouldn't BMC be the only team to really chase to maybe keep yellow? If the break is stacked, it could stick.
What am I missing here?

It's been a hard first third of the tour.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

I'm hoping it's a GT domestique big day out tomorrow, like the caddie's pool scene at Bushwood. These one day guys never get a real shot at a GT stage.

Why wouldn't these guys target this stage? Stuyven too. Benoot? Sep should be fresh.

QS- we know they're looking to kill it. Who will they put in the break? Yves L I guess. It comes back then PG goes, etc.

The make up of the break will be interesting. Teams with great one day guys with no reason to stay back. I can't see any other way this will play out. Wouldn't BMC be the only team to really chase to maybe keep yellow? If the break is stacked, it could stick.
What am I missing here?

I hope Sep has a good result. BTW, Benoot abandoned a few stages back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Also appears that Gaviria does best with a proper leadout while Groenwegen is better at dealing with a messy sprint, like Sagan.

I'm not sure Groenwegen has the choice to try a proper leadout. I don't think his instructions to the team are, "OK guys I want you to sort of out peter out and drift backwards without about 500m to go to so we don't create any sort of organized finale. Whatever you do, avoid trying to get on even terms with Richeze."
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sep says he’s committed to helping Uran so maybe it’s a matter of how stage unfolds. Phinney is there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gaviria appeared to be shouldering on his rear quarter, didnt understand why he was wasting time and energy executing that manuever, but still had plenty left to vault himself forward afterward. seemed gaviria was trying to make a point vs smartest tactic for a result

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sep says he’s committed to helping Uran so maybe it’s a matter of how stage unfolds. Phinney is there too.
Very unlikely Sep will be in the running for a win, it’s all about keeping Uran with the other GC contenders. But you never know how the race unfolds. He’s riding strong though, he should have an excellent race, just hopefully not in the background.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

What am I missing here?

Lampaert and Gaudin are also good picks

I think in the end the cream will rise. Just like how things happened in 2010 and 2014. You have one or two GC contenders taking a few minute over the others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so Nibs then? perhaps that was his motivation for this year's classics work. he knows the not the climber of Froome and some others but he probably is the best bike handler. take a shot, hope for the best, head to the hills with a lead.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit. Porte down, collarbone, out. Damn, I feel for him. Wtf.......
Racing sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aw ..... that's some shjt. life can be cruel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strong break with Gaudin and De Ghent but BMC will clearly ride as will QS. Meanwhile, SKY keeps putting money in the bank.
Sheeeeeeeeeeet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized's new Sagan commercial ... shjt, the dude is cool. and funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Specialized's new Sagan commercial ... shjt, the dude is cool. and funny.

The one for the e-bike? I usually watch the ad-free Aussie version so I hadn’t seen any commercials this year until I went to watch my Dad (NBC feed). My mom has an e-bike and is oblivious to how much it helps her... we just about lost it during that ad!
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh, no, I hadn't seen that. HS!!!, that's funny. The guy has the best smirk ever. I wish I was cool enough to smirk like that.

I was talking about this one:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Strong break with Gaudin and De Ghent but BMC will clearly ride as will QS. Meanwhile, SKY keeps putting money in the bank.
Sheeeeeeeeeeet.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijjjjjjjjjjjjjjt partner

poor Porte... That's a small group on the front now. Watch out for Dumoulin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sky looking solid but a lot of HP not far behind.

Sucks for Porte, guy can’t catxh a break. Imagine it’s all in for GvA now.

Well, there goes my Terpsta pick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sky looking solid but a lot of HP not far behind.

Sucks for Porte, guy can’t catxh a break. Imagine it’s all in for GvA now.

Well, there goes my Terpsta pick

not many BMC riders left on the front

good job that EF is stitching this back together. one name we haven't mentioned is that of Oliver Naesen
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 15, 18 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
uh, no, I hadn't seen that. HS!!!, that's funny. The guy has the best smirk ever. I wish I was cool enough to smirk like that.

I was talking about this one:

OK, that is hilarious, and in a way only one guy can actually do something like this. Thumbs up!
Quote Reply

Prev Next