Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is hard to watch......Sagan is shattered, has nothing going up D'Aspin with 100k and the Tourmelet to go......damn........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Sagan is going to have a very long day protecting green.

By "protecting green" you mean "finishing," right?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Sagan is going to have a very long day protecting green.

By "protecting green" you mean "finishing," right?

indeed............he's 11 mins back now and on the Tourmelet wth gc group already on the 20k descent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make that 17 mins........
....Alaphillipe is having way too much fun, KOM sewed up, looks ready to win another stage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the odds the last 4 "sprinters" left miss the cut and Alaphillippe takes the polka dots and green jersey?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Can someone explain something to me that I have a hard time understanding?

If someone is attacking the leader (in this case the yellow), how is covering that attack by another rider (such as Bernal or Froome), help shut down the attack?

The goal of the attacker is to put time on the yellow jersey. If the yellow jersey doesn’t cover the attack himself, why should the attacker care who is behind him?

If the guy covering is Bernal then it doesn't help at all, because he is too far down the standings to matter. That's why Bernal hasn't been jumping on the wheel of attackers, he's been gradually upping the pace from the front of the pack and reeling them back in with Froome/Thomas sitting on his wheel.

If the guy covering the attack is Froome then that changes the dynamic. Dumoulin and Roglic don't want to lose time to Froome, so if he's up the road then they need to chase, allowing Sky to sit in and have a rest.

It is also possible to impede an attack by repeatedly going in front of the attacker then dropping the pace and forcing him to go round you. That uses up a lot more of his energy as he's constantly surging rather than riding steady tempo, and probably pisses him off as well. It's arguably not a very sporting tactic and I haven't really seen it among the GC riders this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any idea of the projected cut?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to hear any more about Movistar, AG2R, et al not racing aggressively.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw 40 minutes quoted somewhere, not sure how accurate that is. I think if 19 of them were to cross together then they'd probably apply discretion and allow them to stay in even if slightly over the cut. Reckon that as long as Sagan stays with Demare he's safe!
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas is isolated!
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I don't want to hear any more about Movistar, AG2R, et al not racing aggressively.

Hope people will also stop saying that Froome won't work for his team-mate, he just buried himself closing down a Roglic attack for Thomas and now suffering out the back as a result.
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
letour.fr wrote:
Landa, Bardet and Majka at the front
16:58

let's file that as the official "what could have been" snippet.
I like Bardet. he earned some major respect this year with finishes like Bianchi. I think he can do well in future tours.
I wasn't sold on Landa last year. I think this years start set him too far back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote cartsman

Hope people will also stop saying that Froome won't work for his team-mate, he just buried himself closing down a Roglic attack for Thomas and now suffering out the back as a result.[/quote]

Well trying to close Roglic also directly protects his own 3rd-place position, so the team interest aligned perfectly with personal interest there.

Edit: I will give Froome credit for being the most graceful cracker ever. He just keeps going.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 27, 18 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Saw 40 minutes quoted somewhere, not sure how accurate that is. I think if 19 of them were to cross together then they'd probably apply discretion and allow them to stay in even if slightly over the cut. Reckon that as long as Sagan stays with Demare he's safe!

well, provided there's room in the car. Demare may have to slide over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, but a lot of people on here have been predicting an outbreak of in-fighting at Sky from the moment Thomas got yellow, and instead what we've had is 2 riders who have been nothing but dignified and complimentary about each other off the road, and have done nothing on the road that would hurt each other. Maybe that's simply because Froome hasn't been strong enough to try anything, but I think the fact that they've come through a potentially difficult situation with team unity and their friendship intact says a lot about both men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Edit: I will give Froome credit for being the most graceful cracker ever. He just keeps going.

And to prove your point, he and Bernal just work their way back onto the group!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Becoming a Roglic fan. He's throwing absolutely everything into this stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, good to see. Thomas can't be enjoying this descent much, would have been much better for him if there was a break up the road and they weren't racing for stage win and bonus seconds.

Can see somebody crashing here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zakarin is descending on the hoods... wtf
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, watching Roglic descend is an absolute thing of beauty. Incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
On the other hand, watching Roglic descend is an absolute thing of beauty. Incredible.

Yeah, that was master class descending, pulling away from Dumoulin and Froome. TT tomorrow will be fantastic. Risks will be taken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe reading too much into it, but interesting to see Thomas and Roglic having a friendly chat and warming down next to each other, while Froome nowhere to be seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Yeah, that was master class descending, pulling away from Dumoulin and Froome. TT tomorrow will be fantastic. Risks will be taken.

Pulling away in the slipstream of a motor, not his fault, but that motor should not have been there on the straight part of the downhill. TD stayed right behind Roglic through all the corners but then on the straight bit Roglic pulled away using the motor riding in front of him.
Last edited by: TriStart: Jul 27, 18 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: **2018 TdF** Spoiler Alerts [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
trail wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Pulling away in the slipstream of a motor, not his fault, but that motor should not have been there on the straight part of the downhill. TD stayed right behind Roglic through all the corners but then on the straight bit Roglic pulled away using the motor riding in front of him.

Yes, not to mention it serves as a guide for how hard he can hit each corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are reading too much into it - They have to stay around as the stage winner and yellow jersey - everyone else not wearing a jersey gets to go straight to their bus unless they are randomly pulled for drug testing.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply

Prev Next