Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Thanks Nick, great detailed response and the steer I was looking for.

You were right on the experience, Ironmans 11 and 12 next year. Only really picked up Trainer Road partway through this year and followed Long Distance specialty through to two Ironmans 6 weeks apart.

Best performance so far in the first (6 mins off Kona), but did get a little lost between the two, hence the question for next year. Once again, thanks, will keep you posted.

Very welcome! Glad we could help steer you in the right direction. :)

Have an awesome 2018 — let us know how the season shakes out for you.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:
Hey Nick,

I have a 100 mile mtb race in June. It's 95% singletrack with amour 9500 ft of climbing. What wpuld you recommend for training blocks

Hey!

Sounds like quite the event you've got on the horizon.

We'd recommend the following training plan sequence running up to your event in June: Sweet Spot Base I & II (12 weeks) > General Power Build (8 weeks) > Cross-County Marathon Specialty (8 weeks)

Through a blend of interval work in the Sweet Spot, Threshold, and even VO2max power zones, the Sweet Spot Base training plan will provide you an opportunity to establish a well-rounded foundation of aerobic fitness that you'll expand on later. Then, the General Power Build plan provides that chance to expand on the fitness you've built in the Base phase. By increasing the workload, and tailoring it to be geared more towards your riding discipline, the General Power Build plan focuses on elevating your muscular endurance as well as short power capabilities through this combination of interval work. Finally, the XC Marathon Specialty plan takes your focus one step further by integrating the principles of specificity into your training plan to refine your abilities. The efforts that you'll be prescribed in these final 8 weeks of training are built to replicate the demands of high duration mountain bike events to increase your proficiency in your riding discipline as you achieve peak fitness for the season.

Happy Training! Have a great race!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced my first half Sunday—Miamiman.

I went through the mid-volume half iron base-build-specialty phases. I held 261 AP/265 NP on a super windy course and ended up with a 2:18 with an average of 24.2 mph—fourth fastest of the race (#1 was Cam Wurf who showed up and completely dominated us mere mortals. lol) But for some side stitch issues in the run that forced me to hobble, I had plenty in the legs coming off the bike.

Trainerroad is the real deal. Season after season I continue to make gains. Thank you for all the help and support! I can't wait to start next season.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Nov 14, 17 2:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a new trainerroad user, and want to improve my HIM bike split. I have been looking into the half distance tri plans and have some questions about them :

- In the low volume plans I see 1x150 minute workout, 1x120 minute workout, all other workouts are 105 minutes or less. Both 'long' workouts are in the base plan, so all workouts in the build and speciality plans are 105 minutes or less. Same story in the mid volume plans, longest workout in build and speciality mid volume plans are 120 minutes. Are these workouts really long enough to prepare for a HIM (my last HIM bike split was 2:50 on a hilly course, I hope to improve this to 2:40) ? Maybe I will replace the weekend workouts with long (180 minutes or more) outdoor group rides, or is it better to do the shorter but more intense indoor workouts ?

- In the low volume plans there is only a small increase in TSS. TSS even drops in the speciality phase (and not only in the taper weeks). This will give me a flat or even decreasing CTL. I thought TSS (and CTL) was supposed to increase and reach a maximum a couple of weeks before the goal event ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick,

have you given a thought to have the in-ride instructions with a voice, if desired? I really don't like watching TV, music or anything like that while I train but I'd find the in-ride instructions helpful if they could be voiced over during the workout... hopefully I am making sense of what I'm really trying to express! lol

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
Nick/Chad I'll post this here for you;

Hoping you can clarify something about the Base Build Spec timeline and when to aim a peak.
Male, 32, Cat1/2 Road, 4yrs racing and on TR.
Race season starts basically start of May and goes straight through with few missed weekends until mid-August. I’ve always thought that 100 days (May-midAug) is a long time to hold peak form, so i’ve aimed to be coming out of my Build phase and starting specialty when the season begins, with the hopes of really perfecting that peak for the big race in Mid-Aug.
Am I understanding “peaking” properly? What is there is an A race in June and another mid-Aug? They are too far apart to ride a peak fitness but almost too short to do a build/specialty again.
Any thoughts would be helpful

Howdy,

Happy to clarify.

Sounds like you've got a good grasp on the concept of "peaking". We typically don't recommend athletes try to hold their fitness peak longer than a 8 week duration — so we agree 100 days is too long to try and hold onto your high-end fitness. :)

Beginning the Specialty phase training plan when your racing season begins is an excellent approach to the season. In this case, you'd think of these races throughout your Specialty plan as C- and B-priority races, or "training races". Training races are a fantastic opportunity to tailor your training to become increasingly specific to the demands of your A-race. You'll target these higher priority races at the end of the Specialty plan in this case. Then you can maintain that fitness peak during your racing series coming out of the Specialty plan.

That is one approach.

Another way to go about it is what we refer to as a "re-build" approach; where you'll target two high priority events or racing series far enough apart where you can adjust the Base, Build, Specialty cycle to achieve your fitness peak twice in one calendar year. So in the example of having two A-races, one in June and one in August; following a re-build approach sounds very fitting! In this instance you will follow the Base, Build, Specialty sequence leading up to your first high priority event. After completing the event, we suggest 1-3 weeks of low-intensity riding (or time off completely) before following half of your Build training plan (either the first half if you're carrying some fatigue or the second if you're feeling more fresh). Once you complete the partial revisitation to the Build plan, you'll then revisit the Specialty plan leading up to the second high priority event.

To get a little more information on structuring your season based on your goal events, check the following article out: How to Adjust Your Training With More Than One Goal Event

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction! Feel free to let us know what you think.

Cheers

Maybe here is where I’m not clear. When do you start measuring the “8 weeks of holding fitness” that you refer to in your first sentence? Is that from the END of the specialty phase or from the beginning?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
Nick,

have you given a thought to have the in-ride instructions with a voice, if desired? I really don't like watching TV, music or anything like that while I train but I'd find the in-ride instructions helpful if they could be voiced over during the workout... hopefully I am making sense of what I'm really trying to express! lol

Hey Playero,

My name is Bryce Lewis and I'll be taking over Nick's position as Community Manger here at TrainerRoad.

Unfortunately, while we have considered the possibility of verbal workout instructions, the Development undertaking that it would require makes this feature a bit out of reach at the moment. We are currently devoting our Development Resources to some big features and app improvements that we think will make a bigger impact and ultimately make users faster :)

Cheers!
Bryce Lewis

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
Nick/Chad I'll post this here for you;

Hoping you can clarify something about the Base Build Spec timeline and when to aim a peak.
Male, 32, Cat1/2 Road, 4yrs racing and on TR.
Race season starts basically start of May and goes straight through with few missed weekends until mid-August. I’ve always thought that 100 days (May-midAug) is a long time to hold peak form, so i’ve aimed to be coming out of my Build phase and starting specialty when the season begins, with the hopes of really perfecting that peak for the big race in Mid-Aug.
Am I understanding “peaking” properly? What is there is an A race in June and another mid-Aug? They are too far apart to ride a peak fitness but almost too short to do a build/specialty again.
Any thoughts would be helpful

Howdy,

Happy to clarify.

Sounds like you've got a good grasp on the concept of "peaking". We typically don't recommend athletes try to hold their fitness peak longer than a 8 week duration — so we agree 100 days is too long to try and hold onto your high-end fitness. :)

Beginning the Specialty phase training plan when your racing season begins is an excellent approach to the season. In this case, you'd think of these races throughout your Specialty plan as C- and B-priority races, or "training races". Training races are a fantastic opportunity to tailor your training to become increasingly specific to the demands of your A-race. You'll target these higher priority races at the end of the Specialty plan in this case. Then you can maintain that fitness peak during your racing series coming out of the Specialty plan.

That is one approach.

Another way to go about it is what we refer to as a "re-build" approach; where you'll target two high priority events or racing series far enough apart where you can adjust the Base, Build, Specialty cycle to achieve your fitness peak twice in one calendar year. So in the example of having two A-races, one in June and one in August; following a re-build approach sounds very fitting! In this instance you will follow the Base, Build, Specialty sequence leading up to your first high priority event. After completing the event, we suggest 1-3 weeks of low-intensity riding (or time off completely) before following half of your Build training plan (either the first half if you're carrying some fatigue or the second if you're feeling more fresh). Once you complete the partial revisitation to the Build plan, you'll then revisit the Specialty plan leading up to the second high priority event.

To get a little more information on structuring your season based on your goal events, check the following article out: How to Adjust Your Training With More Than One Goal Event

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction! Feel free to let us know what you think.

Cheers

Maybe here is where I’m not clear. When do you start measuring the “8 weeks of holding fitness” that you refer to in your first sentence? Is that from the END of the specialty phase or from the beginning?

Hey Rondal,

My name is Bryce Lewis and I will be taking over for Nick moving forward :)

When he says "8 weeks of holding fitness", this means that you can maintain your peak for 8 weeks AFTER you complete the Specialty Phase.

Cheers!
Bryce Lewis

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [brycelewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce.
Nick used to give out free hugs on Thursdays. Will you be taking that over as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Thanks Bryce.
Nick used to give out free hugs on Thursdays. Will you be taking that over as well?

I'll still be coming in for the free hugs. ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Do you have a USB extension cable? Getting the two points of connection under 3-4' seems to be crucial.

GREAT suggestion! I bought a 10' USB extension and now my ANT stick can rest on the frame of the trainer only a few inches from my Powertap hub and no dropout issues since I've done that. Hopefully everything keeps going smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pdgf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdgf wrote:
I'm a new trainerroad user, and want to improve my HIM bike split. I have been looking into the half distance tri plans and have some questions about them :

- In the low volume plans I see 1x150 minute workout, 1x120 minute workout, all other workouts are 105 minutes or less. Both 'long' workouts are in the base plan, so all workouts in the build and speciality plans are 105 minutes or less. Same story in the mid volume plans, longest workout in build and speciality mid volume plans are 120 minutes. Are these workouts really long enough to prepare for a HIM (my last HIM bike split was 2:50 on a hilly course, I hope to improve this to 2:40) ? Maybe I will replace the weekend workouts with long (180 minutes or more) outdoor group rides, or is it better to do the shorter but more intense indoor workouts ?

- In the low volume plans there is only a small increase in TSS. TSS even drops in the speciality phase (and not only in the taper weeks). This will give me a flat or even decreasing CTL. I thought TSS (and CTL) was supposed to increase and reach a maximum a couple of weeks before the goal event ?

Stoked to have you training with us!

You're not alone in being concerned with the length of your workouts in preparation for longer distances; it's a question we see every so often. But you don't have to train for X minutes to be able to ride for X minutes.

That's the beauty of structured training. By targeting specific energy systems for specific durations, while also carefully balancing the workload with recovery, athletes are able to build particular forms of fitness that translates to being faster on the road. The workouts and general progression of a high-intensity training plan must strike this balance of intensity, duration, and recovery.

Simply training the exact distance at the exact intensity you aim to complete your event at has proven to be less effective than progressing through a blend of interval work that separately targets different aspects of your fitness. One also has to think about the training stress and impact on subsequent workouts the former can have. That doesn't mean you shouldn't feel free to include some longer rides in where you deem them fit. This is an excellent opportunity to dial in things like nutrition/hydration strategies as well as familiarizing yourself with your positioning. But when it comes to building the fitness, we're confident in this shorter but more intense approach to training.

When it comes to TSS in the tri plans, you have to consider the impact of the stress from your other disciplines as well. These bricks often times can disrupt the cycling TSS progression due to a temporary shift in emphasis in disciplines. Additionally, you have to take into account how not all TSS is created equally. 500 TSS from endurance work does different things for your fitness than 500 TSS of VO2 and microbursts. You have to take into consideration how different forms of TSS will do different things for your fitness, and the numbers don't always align perfectly. As such, CTL may not perfectly align either, while your fitness is actually in the right places.

Let us know if that makes sense. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick, Thx for the response, it makes a lot of sense !

I'm currently on sweet spot base and will give the low volume HIM plan a try after that (starting last week of december). I will probably replace some weekend rides with longer outdoor group rides, because I like riding outdoor and to ease my mind about the 56 miles ;-)

I'm looking forward to start the plan !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [brycelewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My trainerroad app has been crashing a lot recently. While this is annoying, what's more annoying is that I can't figure out a way to restart the workout where I left off (that's not currently a feature right?). Is there a way to pick a start point in a workout instead of having to do the warm up every single time? If not, is it possible to add it as a feature?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suffered lots of dropouts on ANT+ power today after updating to the latest Windows app. Also, even when TR was reading my power meter, it was updating extremely slowly.
Strangely, my ANT+ HRM didn't have any dropouts, and I could see on my smartphone using BT that my PM was working just fine.
After the workout warmup I tried to fix the problem. Anyway, to cut a long story short, restarting Windoze 10 fixed the problem. There was an update pending which I suspect may have been causing the problem with ANT+.
Moral of the story: always go for a reboot first. I guess I've just got too used to Windows 10 behaving nicely these days!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am training towards Israman 2018 (half distance) but have miscalculated when I should have started the Trainer Road Half Distance mid volume plan (doh!)

I am now up to week 4 of the Build phase which means I will finish that block with 4 weeks until the race.

My question is in 4 weeks time do I start at the beginning of the Speciality phase and complete as much as I can or do I jump in at week 5 of the Speciality phase so it's 'complete' by race day or do I do something else??

Thanks in advanced
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [dsurge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsurge wrote:
My trainerroad app has been crashing a lot recently. While this is annoying, what's more annoying is that I can't figure out a way to restart the workout where I left off (that's not currently a feature right?). Is there a way to pick a start point in a workout instead of having to do the warm up every single time? If not, is it possible to add it as a feature?

Yikes! We hate to see crashes disturbing your workouts. I'll go into some methods for resuming your ride where you left off, however I would really recommend opening a ticket with us at support@trainerroad.com to get to the bottom of this crashing issue. That is definitely not normal or acceptable app behavior.

When it comes to resuming your ride, here is how you'll do it:
1. In the case of an app crash, your ride data will still be saved. What this means is that you simply need to reopen the app, go to career, and you will find the partially completed ride.
2. Click on this ride to open up the ride details
3. In the upper right corner, click the three-dot menu. This will give you the option to "Resume Ride".
4. Click that option and jump right back into your workout :)

If you happen to be using Desktop, you also have the ability to manually skip ahead using the skip function. All you need to do is pause the ride, and then click the part of the workout you want to jump to. This feature is not yet supported on Mobile, but it is something that we are considering adding in the future.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick, still loving trainerroad. Great product.

So I'm going through the full IM plan (in base right now).

As I'm building out my full training plan and entering the rides into training peaks, I can't help but notice the VO2 workout in Week 3 of the High volume full plan build phase.

Bago. It looks ridiculous, and way harder than anything else in the plan. 12x3' @ 120%. A 90 minute ride with .95 intensity factor. Is this correct or was the wrong workout placed in there by accident? (I HOPE!)

Not looking forward to that one regards,
Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
I suffered lots of dropouts on ANT+ power today after updating to the latest Windows app. Also, even when TR was reading my power meter, it was updating extremely slowly.
Strangely, my ANT+ HRM didn't have any dropouts, and I could see on my smartphone using BT that my PM was working just fine.
After the workout warmup I tried to fix the problem. Anyway, to cut a long story short, restarting Windoze 10 fixed the problem. There was an update pending which I suspect may have been causing the problem with ANT+.
Moral of the story: always go for a reboot first. I guess I've just got too used to Windows 10 behaving nicely these days!

Hey Man!

I'm really sorry to hear about your dropout issues, but it sounds like you did the right thing with the re-boot. If you ever have any issues with this in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to tech support at support@trainerroad.com. We always want to make sure that technical issues are taken care of as quickly as possible :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sean,

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, we really appreciate it! I spoke with Coach Chad and this is in fact a mistake. He will have things re-worked in the next few days at the latest :)

Happy Training!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick et al. @ TR:

22 weeks before an Ironman, how should I modify your 28-week program (so 6 weeks are removed)?
  • currently in only healthy "dad shape" with ~3.2 watts/kg FTP
  • mid-40's - multiple seasons - did Kona once - swam & ran in college
Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks!
Pete

PS - I used TR last fall (wahoo Kickr), so I'm familiar with your great product! 5-stars all the way!!! You guys rock!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Hi Nick et al. @ TR:

22 weeks before an Ironman, how should I modify your 28-week program (so 6 weeks are removed)?
  • currently in only healthy "dad shape" with ~3.2 watts/kg FTP
  • mid-40's - multiple seasons - did Kona once - swam & ran in college
Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks!
Pete

PS - I used TR last fall (wahoo Kickr), so I'm familiar with your great product! 5-stars all the way!!! You guys rock!

Hey Pete!

Your best bet for shortening up an Ironman Training Plan by 6 Weeks is by starting with Base and doing as much as you can. Specialty Phase, while extremely effective for sharpening the "blade", is not particulary useful if you skipped steps and you don't have a blade to sharpen ;)

As such, your plan would look something like this:
Base (12 weeks)
Build (8 Weeks)
Specialty Weeks 7-8 (these are taper weeks and will help keep your legs sharp while allowing you to recover from the training stress you've been piling on)

I hope this helps clear things up for you :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Planning on using the IM plan for Lake Placid on July 22. In a moment of weakness, was suckered into 70.3 Mont Tremblant only 4 weeks prior to Placid. Any advice on how to alter the plan so I don't kill my IM event?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Thanks for taking this over.

A question about juggling workouts on the half distance mid-volume base plan. My pool is only open M-F so could I shift the "Sunday" swim to a weekday (I was thinking the "Wednesday") or would this not be a good idea?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Hey Bryce,

Planning on using the IM plan for Lake Placid on July 22. In a moment of weakness, was suckered into 70.3 Mont Tremblant only 4 weeks prior to Placid. Any advice on how to alter the plan so I don't kill my IM event?

This is actually optimal timing for a B race! In fact, Coach Chad has prescribed Half Ironman events on Week 4 of all three volumes of Full Distance Specialty, so you are simply following the plan to the letter :)

The only concern is the recovery following the half - make it through your training, even if that means toning down or skipping a couple of the week 5 workouts (run workouts head that list).

Best of luck with your training!

Quote Reply

Prev Next