Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TR help for 7day IM (5km swim, 5x100m bike, 50km run) [vilbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vilbs wrote:
Hi TR!

Background: Each year (for the last 3 years) I have done an Ironman. Training hard for 7 months and then doing nothing and eating pies for 5 months.

Current goal: I've entered the Monster tri on 1st July (21 weeks away). It's 7 days long (5km swim then 5 days of 100miles each day, last day 50km run). So less intense than an ironman but much more cycling and potentially recovery issues.

Problem: I am just starting week 4 of the TrainerRoad Full Distance Triathlon Base (mid volume) plan and loving it. I was thinking of then continuing to do the Build and Speciality. However:

1. The entire plan is 2 weeks too long. Reading the "Not-Enough-Time!" article looks like I should just cut 2 weeks from the middle of the Speciality phase? Right?
2. It's not totally appropriate for the back to back big cycling I will do on the day. Any top tips on how (if at all) I should modify the plan? I was thinking half way through Build phase onwards reducing the long ride to about 75% and doing it again the next day? Maybe dropping some of the BRICKs. Maybe upping the run distance by about 20%?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Hey there!

I would recommend taking a listen to last week's podcast since the coaches discussed this very topic :) They know much more about this than me, so I won't do you a disservice by trying to summarize their words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhA-5eZPDoQ&t=3055s

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stubs wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I was wondering, when using power match (Vector 3S w/ Tacx Flux) is it usual to expect a bit of lag with resistance changes? I've recently changed over and have found when doing intervals it takes a bit longer for the Flux to adjust the resistance to hit the target power. Also it seems slower to reduce the resistance - sometimes I can be putting out 10% extra watts over target sometimes it will stay there for 15+ seconds... Seems a bit unusual? I found it much smoother when riding in ERG mode alone!

Cheers,

In general, yes, there is a bit of lag associated with PowerMatch. This is due to the increased interactions involved between the power meter, TrainerRoad and your trainer. Typically, the ERG logic takes place all within the trainer, so through increased complication, PowerMatch can add some lag to what you are used to.

That being said, one thing that can help minimize the lag times is to use your easiest possible gear. This helps the ERG make changes faster, which will decrease some of the lag :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve,

We have actually removed the TrainerRelay feature unfortunately.

Sorry I don't have better news for you :(

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey Steve,

We have actually removed the TrainerRelay feature unfortunately.

Sorry I don't have better news for you :(

Did you mean TrainerRelay feature in iOS app? In Mac desktop app it seems still there. I really hope you don't plan to remove it from desktop app too!
Last edited by: Tr3: Feb 5, 18 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: TR help for 7day IM (5km swim, 5x100m bike, 50km run) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce - useful podcast. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I had previously posted this question, the issue resolved itself but now its back.

I am running TR on Mac (iOS Sierra) with an Ant+ stick.
I have a Rotor 2INPower PM, a Garmin HR and a speed and cadence sensor (no cadence sensor attached to the crank so really just speed)

When using TR I've connect the PM via bluetooth and HR + speed via the ant stick.

The cadence on TR alternates between the actual cadence reading double the value (i.e. flicks between 100 and 200). On my garmin device the cadence is steady at the correct value.

Any idea why this is happening? Its more of a bugbear than an actual issue/problem
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I had previously posted this question, the issue resolved itself but now its back.

I am running TR on Mac (iOS Sierra) with an Ant+ stick.
I have a Rotor 2INPower PM, a Garmin HR and a speed and cadence sensor (no cadence sensor attached to the crank so really just speed)

When using TR I've connect the PM via bluetooth and HR + speed via the ant stick.

The cadence on TR alternates between the actual cadence reading double the value (i.e. flicks between 100 and 200). On my garmin device the cadence is steady at the correct value.

Any idea why this is happening? Its more of a bugbear than an actual issue/problem

Hey there!

This is an issue that is probably best approached by Support since they have the ability to access your log files and see exactly what is going wrong behind the scenes. You can reach out to them at support@trainerroad.com.

My initial instinct is that the cadence sensor is "clipping" the magnet causing these double values to occur. We see this with speed fairly often, when the magnet contacts the sensor it reads twice which causes the value to read double. It is possible that the Garmin has a way of filtering out this outlier data, which is why you don't see the variability there.

I'd go ahead and check the setup, but if everything is set-up as it should be, reach out to support and they can take a deeper look for you :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,
Next week I transition from SSB 2 to build, and I was wondering 1) if I should do the 20 min test or the new Ramp X test, and 2) if I have to join the Facebook group or not to do the Ramp X test.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:
Bryce,
Next week I transition from SSB 2 to build, and I was wondering 1) if I should do the 20 min test or the new Ramp X test, and 2) if I have to join the Facebook group or not to do the Ramp X test.

Thanks.

It's ultimately up to you which one you want to do, however the Ramp Test formula is pretty much nailed down and will soon be the default test. I greatly prefer the Ramp Test X so I would personally choose to go that route.

You don't need to be in the FB group, but we let everyone in who requests and it should help explain the process of completing the test and how your result will be given to you etc. There are also early access opportunities in the Beta Group so it's not a bad idea to join ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

I’m in week 5 of the full mid volume base. Did. Zone 2 workout today Allegheny in erg mode and it almost killed me. Previously, I was doing 3 hour sessions in slope mode while maintaining similar wattage output with no issue. How does the constant resistance of erg mode compare to slope in terms of training effect?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey TR-
A few weeks ago, I had a question answered on the podcast after show about having hit a plateau over the past year. Doing the low volume 1/2 distance plans and the sweet spot low volume plans, I've seen my FTP rise only about 5W over the course of a year. Chad/Nate thought that I probably need to increase my stress. Seeing as how I really only have time for 3 rides/week while fitting in runs and swims, what is the best way to do this? Should I:
A) Find/create extended versions of the workouts in the plan (currently Half Distance Base Low Volume) Add 15 minutes, 30 minutes?
B) Raise the intensity level 5-10% (Worried about hitting goal numbers doing this)
C) Something else?

My TR username is Sethjk if that is any help

Adding in a 4th day of cycling regularly isn't much of an option as I'm your typical age grouper with significant work/family commitments so I only get the mornings.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Hey Bryce,

I’m in week 5 of the full mid volume base. Did. Zone 2 workout today Allegheny in erg mode and it almost killed me. Previously, I was doing 3 hour sessions in slope mode while maintaining similar wattage output with no issue. How does the constant resistance of erg mode compare to slope in terms of training effect?

With a smart trainer, there should not be any difference in training effect between ERG and Slope modes. Power is power, so whether you reach 200 watts by shifting or by ERG changing the resistance, it is still 200 watts. Has your training been consistent leading up to the latest ride? Or were you sick in the past week? Consider if there could be any other factors that could make it feel so much harder, but if not I would recommend reaching out to support@trainerroad.com to see if they can find anything weird going on with your ride files.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sethjk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sethjk wrote:
Hey TR-
A few weeks ago, I had a question answered on the podcast after show about having hit a plateau over the past year. Doing the low volume 1/2 distance plans and the sweet spot low volume plans, I've seen my FTP rise only about 5W over the course of a year. Chad/Nate thought that I probably need to increase my stress. Seeing as how I really only have time for 3 rides/week while fitting in runs and swims, what is the best way to do this? Should I:
A) Find/create extended versions of the workouts in the plan (currently Half Distance Base Low Volume) Add 15 minutes, 30 minutes?
B) Raise the intensity level 5-10% (Worried about hitting goal numbers doing this)
C) Something else?

My TR username is Sethjk if that is any help

Adding in a 4th day of cycling regularly isn't much of an option as I'm your typical age grouper with significant work/family commitments so I only get the mornings.

Thanks!

Hey there!

So based on the restriction of three days per week, if you want to add training stress you are going to need to ride longer on the days you ride. Raising the intensity is not a good way to go about adding TSS due to the fact that you will enter a different power zone than intended and you will likely not be able to finish your workouts. A good way to add some duration and corresponding TSS is to switch to the Mid-Volume version of the plan, but only do the three hardest workouts from the week. Another option is adjusting to the higher volume version of the plan using the "+1" or "+2" options for the ride. For example, if you search "Carson" in the workout creator, there are a ton of different variations with increasing and decreasing stress. By choosing a version of the prescribed ride with more stress and more duration, it should help you to break through your plateau :)

I hope that makes sense!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not 100% convinced with kickr erg mode. When i ran my P1 to see what was going on, the power variation was massive compared to the numbers that the kickr smooths out.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m definitely benchmarking my next outing with my quarq. I see what Bryce is saying and agree, but there was a big difference in resistance from comparable slope workouts. Maybe it’s the lack of and coasting/freewheeling in erg. My training level was consistent up to this ride.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I’m not 100% convinced with kickr erg mode. When i ran my P1 to see what was going on, the power variation was massive compared to the numbers that the kickr smooths out.

Hey Triguy,

The Kickr certainly outputs smoother power than a direct power meter for a few reasons.

1. The Kickr measures the power multiple steps away from your legs. Rather than measuring at the crank, the power travels through the chain, into the cassette, which turns the freewheel, where the power is measured. All of these steps serve to smooth out your power to a certain degree.
2. The other thing that effects how smooth the power is is the freewheel in the Kickr. The Kickr freewheel is unique in that it has a mechanism that makes the freewheel spin faster than your cassette is spinning, sort of like a gearbox. This creates more inertia than other trainers, and thus, results in smoother power.

If you have both the P1s and the Kickr, I would be really interested to hear if you measure different wattages in ERG mode vs Standard mode. To test, you can pair the P1s to a head unit and the Kickr to TrainerRoad and see if, over the course of a minute or two constant interval, the average power differences between the two differ based on the resistance mode.

I would love to hear what you find!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Start of week 5 of mid vol Half distance Build.

Just did the FTP test on the new bike after being fit professionally at a local shop.

My quads basically get set on fire from the new position cutting down my watts by a huge amount. My last test I held around 280 watts for main interval. On the new bike I could hardly hold 240 until my quads burned too much and called it after 10 min. The whole test did not feel taxing on my cardiovascular system and quad burn was a pronounced limiting factor.

Would it be best to stay on the bike at the lower watts and force adaption or stay on the road bike until the end of build and switch over when I start the base phase again?

Context: Road bike is a 2015 Cervelo S2 with S5 dual position seat post set to TT position, T2 Clip-ons and fit at shop. New bike is a Argon-18 E-112. I've ridden the S2 in the TT position for almost a year now and log almost all my indoor training in the aero position. Other than the quad burn, the TT bike is very comfortable and was not fit in an aggressive way (Slammed).

Best,

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce, you are on quite frequently and thought this might be the easiest way to get your attention.

How quickly does your email support typically respond? I have emailed twice today and have received one auto reply to the first request this morning.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
Bryce, you are on quite frequently and thought this might be the easiest way to get your attention.

How quickly does your email support typically respond? I have emailed twice today and have received one auto reply to the first request this morning.

Hey John!

Typically support gets back within 24 hours, however we have been dealing with a huge volume of tickets so it may take a little bit longer than that this time of year. We don't really have auto-replies for emails sent to support@trainerroad.com though, so anything that was replied was selected by a support agent and sent back to you. Is it a tech question that you're dealing with or something that I could help you with?

Best,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [joshtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshtri wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Start of week 5 of mid vol Half distance Build.

Just did the FTP test on the new bike after being fit professionally at a local shop.

My quads basically get set on fire from the new position cutting down my watts by a huge amount. My last test I held around 280 watts for main interval. On the new bike I could hardly hold 240 until my quads burned too much and called it after 10 min. The whole test did not feel taxing on my cardiovascular system and quad burn was a pronounced limiting factor.

Would it be best to stay on the bike at the lower watts and force adaption or stay on the road bike until the end of build and switch over when I start the base phase again?

Context: Road bike is a 2015 Cervelo S2 with S5 dual position seat post set to TT position, T2 Clip-ons and fit at shop. New bike is a Argon-18 E-112. I've ridden the S2 in the TT position for almost a year now and log almost all my indoor training in the aero position. Other than the quad burn, the TT bike is very comfortable and was not fit in an aggressive way (Slammed).

Best,

Josh

Hey Josh,

If you will be logging your training on the new bike moving forward, I would recommend completing a new FTP test with your new bike and setup since it seems that your new position has had a drastic effect on your power output. Especially with a TT bike, it can force you to put a higher emphasis on different muscles that are less developed based on your old position. This change can reduce your ability to express FTP, but with training and experience in that position you will adapt.

Whether you should stick to the road bike, or start the adaptation process with your TT bike is tough becasue it depends on your goals for the season. If TT is a big goal for your season, then starting your adaptation as soon as possible is the best option. If you are more focused on your road bike fitness, then waiting until the end of the Build phase may be a better option for you :)

I hope that helps, let me know if there is anything I can clarify!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce, Thanks for getting back to me!

I am trying to determine if you can have two accounts operating off the same PC or will we need a PC per account in order to ride together?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Thanks very much. Riley at support fixed the issue quickly (was a firmware update required for my PM)

As usual TR support and help bang on!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all.. Haven't heard back from Support at TR yet so figured I'd try here.

Question on Un-Assigning a Ride. When I go to Career and find the ride that I want to UnAssign (So I can assign it to the correct plan) I don't see an option to "RESET Ride", as TR's FAQ says to do. I do see RE-SYNC. Is that the same?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Sorry to bother you here but 2 emails to support and well beyond 24 hours. I simply want to become a customer and was hoping someone would help me do that...perhaps that should be in pink :-)

Just so you know, it does appear to be an auto reply: Hi John!
Thank you for choosing to train with TrainerRoad. This is an automated response to let you know we received your support request. A member from our crack support team will get back to you soon.

Last edited by: John Salt: Feb 15, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can run two accounts at the same time, TrainerRoad companion + TrainerRoad will allow two riders simultaneously.

We have two accounts operating off the same Mac but we have different Mac log-ins for when we are cycling individually.
Quote Reply

Prev Next