Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [JDAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDAD wrote:
Forgive me if this is being posted in the wrong thread, but does anyone have a 1 month trial they are willing to PM me? I just setup my indoor trainer and would love to give trainerroad a try before defaulting to zwift. Thank you.

I have. PM me your email.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just made my day.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nick(TR)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for advice on a couple questions:

1) I remember a while ago on one of the podcasts that Chad mentioned making up an Xterra tri plan (either a specialty plan or full base/build/specialty hadn't been decided). Any chance that this will be coming soon? If not, any recommendations for a plan to follow? Olympic high volume seems like it may work since I have the time for it.

2) I'm thinking of putting my Trek Top Fuel on the trainer when the weather turns and I'm actually back to full time training. I have the cycleops magnus. I was wondering, any potential ill effects (on the bike/trainer) by using a FS bike on a wheels on trainer full time? I figured it'll help for specificity to spend more time on the bike I actually race instead of having a road bike on the trainer that otherwise never gets ridden.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
I'm sorry that I've caused you so much pain. In my defense i never expected this thread to grow to such a size, having said that I'm very happy for TrainerRoad that it did. In the full spirit of Slowtwitch i will correct it for you :)

Thanks Russ! :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kevinschus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevinschus wrote:
Looking for advice on a couple questions:

1) I remember a while ago on one of the podcasts that Chad mentioned making up an Xterra tri plan (either a specialty plan or full base/build/specialty hadn't been decided). Any chance that this will be coming soon? If not, any recommendations for a plan to follow? Olympic high volume seems like it may work since I have the time for it.

2) I'm thinking of putting my Trek Top Fuel on the trainer when the weather turns and I'm actually back to full time training. I have the cycleops magnus. I was wondering, any potential ill effects (on the bike/trainer) by using a FS bike on a wheels on trainer full time? I figured it'll help for specificity to spend more time on the bike I actually race instead of having a road bike on the trainer that otherwise never gets ridden.

1) No progress on an Xterra plan at the moment, but it's definitely something we still have on the back of our minds. Just have some other awesomeness on the horizon before. ;)

As far as recommendations go, we'd suggest adapting the current triathlon plans to include a bike focus that's more in line with the demands of Xterra. So more short, punchy anaerobic efforts. If you'll be progressing through an entire Base, Build, Specialty cycle, we'd recommend following along the Olympic-distance for your run and swim stuff. As for the bike training, follow the format of scheduled workouts from the Oly plan, but plunk in workouts from Sweet Spot Base, Short Power Build, and wrap things up using the Short Track Cross-Country or Cross-Country Olympic Specialty plans.

2) We don't advise against it. Like you said, training on the bike you'll be racing will only help you get more and more familiar/comfortable with it as you get stronger. But we would suggest locking your suspension up a bit. Bobbing around with each pedal stroke can leave a lot of power on the table and be especially frustrating on the trainer. Switching your suspension lockout over to as firm as possible will have you more stable to get more effective training in.

Hope this helps—Happy Training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Nick. Definitely helps clear things up a bit.

Just for clarification on your training plan suggestion; So follow the Olympic Plan (swim/run) and just plop in the appropriate bike work out from the MTB plans. I guess which volume should I follow so I don't over do it? If I was aiming to do the Olympic high volume for swim/run would I go with the low volume plan for the bike workouts? Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kevinschus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevinschus wrote:
Thanks, Nick. Definitely helps clear things up a bit.

Just for clarification on your training plan suggestion; So follow the Olympic Plan (swim/run) and just plop in the appropriate bike work out from the MTB plans. I guess which volume should I follow so I don't over do it? If I was aiming to do the Olympic high volume for swim/run would I go with the low volume plan for the bike workouts? Thanks again!

Very welcome!

Considering the Oly-Distance high volume schedules 4 bike workouts per week, you should be safe to follow along the Mid-Volume Bike plans since they also follow that 4/week format as well. That way you don't overdo it. :) You'll just need to shift things over a little bit so they fit the schedule of the triathlon plan.

If you do feel like the 4/week is leaving you smoked for your run/swim workouts, consider dropping down into the low-volume.

Glad we could help—cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem Nick, please pass on my thanks to the team, i'm loving their podcasts. The single track 6 episodes have been hilarious.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I take a TR workout, and modify it to add distance/time to it? If so, how do I go about doing this? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Awesome...that was simple!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick and Chad,

Question on using the Traditional Base plans with outside group rides on Saturday & Sunday: I know from the Podcast that Chad says that only the High Volume Traditional Base plan is recommended, but given I will be doing outside group rides (usually 200 - 280 TSS) on Saturday and Sunday, would you recommend using:
  • Low Volume: modified so that the rides are consecutively on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (+ outside on Saturday & Sunday)?
  • Mid-Volume: modified so that Thursday's ride is on Wednesday, Saturday's ride is on Thursday, drop the Sunday ride (+ outside on Saturday & Sunday)?
  • High-Volume: modified to replace the Saturday & Sunday plan rides outside rides

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can TR be used on a Velotron?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this thread is huge and I’m a little lazy.

I’m planning to sign up with TR in the near future and jump on one of these training plans. Can you give me an estimate of weekly hours (avg/max) for the low volume half and full distance plans?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am not Nick or Chad, but here are my 2 cents. You need to look at your current and long term TSS, and decided what is sustainable for you. Phase III of High-volume base is near 680 to 710 TSS a week, which is near the upper range that many folk can sustain.. be careful. You should keep your intensity low. Don't be tempted to ride hard on Saturday/Sunday, or you can easily burn out.

If you do swap out indoor rides, remove any indoor ride that has higher intensity, or involves any sort of sprinting etc. In general, if your weekly intensity is going up, then aim for a lower weekly TSS.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:

I’m planning to sign up with TR in the near future and jump on one of these training plans. Can you give me an estimate of weekly hours (avg/max) for the low volume half and full distance plans?

You can just see this on the home page exactly how many hours each plan is. Being it low med or higg plans for base build spexialty.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Stephensjer wrote:

You can just see this on the home page exactly how many hours each plan is. Being it low med or higg plans for base build spexialty.

I saw that, but it looks like those are just the total cycling hours, not hours including run and swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TR team, I have a question about the off season.

This off season I'm putting a big focus on the bike for middle distance races, with my 'A' race at the end of June 2018 (and if all goes well, the European champs in October '18). Which strategy/plan would you recommend, starting from end of this month? Best to go through Base/Build/Special a couple of times, or a different method?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TR Team -

I'm in the same boat as WoodyES but with an Ironman in early July 2018. I'm just coming off a good year of training and an Ironman, so taking a bit of a break, but basically did low/mid volume Sweet Spot Build (2x), Ironman Build and Speciality plans (low/mid volume) this year. Made a huge difference!

Wondering what you think about my Autumn '17 plan? Should I jump back into a Sweet Spot build or something different? I think my goal should be purely keep strength and build a better FTP this Fall/Winter instead of doing too many "long" endurance type of sessions.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick,

Something odd going on with my last upload to Strava from TR. Here's my most recent workout:

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6431322-owens

and here's the Strava upload:

Any idea how come the speed gets so magnified when it comes into Strava?

Thanks!

Ronan
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheel on your trainer may not be tight enough, causing it to go around in double time. Happened to me in Zwift, I had every jersey after 1 lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:

Welcome aboard!

For the bike, you'll average between 3.9 and 4.1 hours/week on the Low-Volume Half-Distance Triathlon Plans and between 4.6 and 5.9 hours/week in the Low-Vol. Full-Distance Plans. The run and swim drills will vary with times, but between the two, I think it's safe to say you'll be adding another 5-7 hours to the overall training time each week. :)

Hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to reach out at support@trainerroad.com if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Can TR be used on a Velotron?

Hey Dave,

I think it'll pair just like a computrainer, but I can't find any record of users emailing us back confirming that it worked for them. Do you have the USB-serial adapter by chance? If so, take a look here for instructions getting set up: http://support.trainerroad.com/...1376994-Computrainer

Let us know when you get some time—thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
Hi TR team, I have a question about the off season.

This off season I'm putting a big focus on the bike for middle distance races, with my 'A' race at the end of June 2018 (and if all goes well, the European champs in October '18). Which strategy/plan would you recommend, starting from end of this month? Best to go through Base/Build/Special a couple of times, or a different method?

TIA

Sounds like this would be an excellent opportunity to fit an entire Base>Build>Specialty cycle in your training schedule to peak for the June event. You'll actually end up with some extra time to fill with the typical prescribed 28 week plan. To stretch it out to about 36 weeks (which is what I added up if you start in the beginning of October), a good approach would be extending your Base and Build phases out a little bit. It can be as easy as repeating a couple of the weeks that seemed interesting/rewarding, or even dipping into something different.

Following that, move onto a rebuild approach leading into the European champs by doing a partial repeat of a Build and Specialty plan. Planning multiple high priority events in your season is something our Head Coach addressed in a blog article that I think would be great to read up on for your situation. Feel free to check it out here: How to adjust your training with more than one goal event

Let us know if you have any other questions — Happy Training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I really want to know is when can I get a trainerroad hat, tshirt and mug? Also a trainerroad tri kit would be pretty sweet too. Just sayin.
Quote Reply

Prev Next