Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Tommasi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue but with a iphone running 11.2.2. I just keep on unplugging the lightening connector and Trainerroad eventually accepts it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Tommasi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommasi wrote:
Since a couple of weeks I have found difficulties connecting my IPhone 5SE. It sometimes doesn't recognize the Wahoo ANT+ key or the Apple 30-Pin to Lightning adapter anymore. I thought it has to do with an IOS update but I am not sure.

Is this a more common issue?

Hey Thomas!

This is certainly an issue we've seen before, but it is typically a result of dust or debris in either your phone's port or the 30 Pin adapter. I would recommend using compressed air to clean out both ports for best results. If you are still having issues after a thorough cleaning, I would recommend reaching out to our support team at support@trainerroad.com to troubleshoot a bit deeper :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Bryce Lewis -

Are there keyboard shortcuts available in the Mac client anymore?

(I fear this document only refers to the legacy Adobe AIR app: https://support.trainerroad.com/...d-Keyboard-Shortcuts)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JRT_Racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRT_Racing wrote:
@Bryce Lewis -

Are there keyboard shortcuts available in the Mac client anymore?

(I fear this document only refers to the legacy Adobe AIR app: https://support.trainerroad.com/...d-Keyboard-Shortcuts)

Unfortunately the keyboard shortcuts are not implemented into the lastest version of the Mac Application. We are looking to revamp both Desktop versions of the app in the future, and the shortcuts will likely be implemented during this phase :)

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WoodyES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
Hey TR,

This stuff works! Just finished the 70.3 8-week base block and hit 305w in my latest FTP test (up from 279w). I know part of the gain is from getting better at the test (I feel I had more in me this time as well) however I'm amazed how well I've responded to following a structured plan for the first time.

I know as part of the plan TR prescribes up to 2.5 hour endurance rides, do you think there would be any benefit of doing longer ones (say up to 3.5/4 hours, as prescribed in normal outdoor plans). I'm reading a lot that 2 hours isn't really long enough to get the body used to being in a 70.3 race scenario.

Thanks

Im also curious about this. My plan is to follow the Sweetspot Base I & II -> Half DIstance build and the Half Distance Speciality. All low Volume.

The long rides don't go over the two hours. This worries me a bit. I excpect to finsh just below the two-and-a-half hours. My feeling says that I should have at least a couple of +3 hours rides in this plan.

I've picked the low volume for a reason, but i could manage to have a couple of longer rides in the weekend. Will I need to adjust the TSS of the other workouts to match the weekly load? Or isn't necessary at all and are the 100 minutes rides long enough to prepare you for the real race?
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Jan 11, 18 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
Hey TR,

This stuff works! Just finished the 70.3 8-week base block and hit 305w in my latest FTP test (up from 279w). I know part of the gain is from getting better at the test (I feel I had more in me this time as well) however I'm amazed how well I've responded to following a structured plan for the first time.

I know as part of the plan TR prescribes up to 2.5 hour endurance rides, do you think there would be any benefit of doing longer ones (say up to 3.5/4 hours, as prescribed in normal outdoor plans). I'm reading a lot that 2 hours isn't really long enough to get the body used to being in a 70.3 race scenario.

Thanks

Hey Woody!

Your training differing in duration from the length of your target event is not going to be a problem physically, however it may effect you mentally. Let me explain:

By selecting to do shorter, but more highly structured workouts, you will boost your FTP and overall fitness on the bike. When it comes time to perform during your race, you will operate at a certain % of your FTP for the length of the race. Your body doesn't neccessarily need to have done an effort at that intensity and duration previously: your FTP is your FTP. This is similar to training for a marathon in that you likely will not run a full marathon until your event date.

That being said, it can be a benefit mentally to have completed your goal distance in practice, and may want to complete one 90 km ride just to get your bearings. This can help sort out any issues with your aero position, nutrition or other factors. This doesn't need to be done repeatedly as part of your training, but rather treat it as a rehearsal for the big day.

This topic has been discussed a few times on our Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast, and I have linked you to these specific instances below:
[09:35] Podcast 071: Short workouts effective for long races?
[22:22] Podcast 93: Do I need to ride the full distance of my event prior to my event?
I hope this clears things up, good luck with your training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce, similiar to the iphone issue noted, for the past 10 days or so, I haven't been able to perform a successful spin down calibration on my powerbeam. Prior to this, for the 2 previous weeks, I'd get a calibration failure notice at about 80 seconds in, but if I hit "retry" the spindown would continue on and successfully calibrate. Now I get erroneous speed readings during spindown (34 mph when I barely peddle) and can't calibrate at all. For the most part I can ride the workouts uncalibrated, controlling wattage by gearing. I downloaded and attempted to calibrate on the new beta app, but no success.

I don't know if this is a trainer issue, my computer, or a software glitch.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Thank you for your answer.

I did a couple of 70.3s last year, so the cycling distance isn't much of an issue. I tend to do my workouts by time these days as well, so I was more curious as to the benefits of doing a longer endurance cycle followed by a run, eventually building the entire workout to about 4 hours (to get my body used to being exerted for an extended period of time).

In my first 70.3 last year, I got very bad cramp in my calves after about 12km on the run. My nutrition was 'ok', however I believe the reason for the cramps was I hadn't done much much endurance stuff (i.e, longer than about 2.5/3 hours) in training. I've had similar problems in the past where I've tried to do distance running races without training for the time or distance.

Thanks for linking the podcasts, I will take a listen!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mharris wrote:
Bryce, similiar to the iphone issue noted, for the past 10 days or so, I haven't been able to perform a successful spin down calibration on my powerbeam. Prior to this, for the 2 previous weeks, I'd get a calibration failure notice at about 80 seconds in, but if I hit "retry" the spindown would continue on and successfully calibrate. Now I get erroneous speed readings during spindown (34 mph when I barely peddle) and can't calibrate at all. For the most part I can ride the workouts uncalibrated, controlling wattage by gearing. I downloaded and attempted to calibrate on the new beta app, but no success.

I don't know if this is a trainer issue, my computer, or a software glitch.

Thoughts?

Hey Mharris!

This is a question that would be better addressed by one of our support agents since they have much more experience with these kinds of tech related issues.

You can get a hold of them at support@trainerroad.com :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoodyES wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Thank you for your answer.

I did a couple of 70.3s last year, so the cycling distance isn't much of an issue. I tend to do my workouts by time these days as well, so I was more curious as to the benefits of doing a longer endurance cycle followed by a run, eventually building the entire workout to about 4 hours (to get my body used to being exerted for an extended period of time).

In my first 70.3 last year, I got very bad cramp in my calves after about 12km on the run. My nutrition was 'ok', however I believe the reason for the cramps was I hadn't done much much endurance stuff (i.e, longer than about 2.5/3 hours) in training. I've had similar problems in the past where I've tried to do distance running races without training for the time or distance.

Thanks for linking the podcasts, I will take a listen!

Hey Woody,

In that case, it sounds like you have the life experience to know what your body needs and you are more than welcome to integrate workouts that are more similar to your race efforts. Just be careful when substituting those types of workouts in that you give yourself ample time to recover from the effort. That type of workout may replace two or more shorter workouts and will need a solid recovery period afterwards.

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce!

One more question- I will be switching to a dedicated tri bike with a power tap c1 from my road bike + clip ons with stages single sided half way through my med vol half build (week 4). I expect that changing both the bike/fit and power meter will cause a change in FTP and would require a re-test.

Is it appropriate to substitute the week 4 Tuesday interval work out with an FTP test or is it best to wait until the start of my next phase to test and switch over.

Best,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [joshtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshtri wrote:
Thanks Bryce!

One more question- I will be switching to a dedicated tri bike with a power tap c1 from my road bike + clip ons with stages single sided half way through my med vol half build (week 4). I expect that changing both the bike/fit and power meter will cause a change in FTP and would require a re-test.

Is it appropriate to substitute the week 4 Tuesday interval work out with an FTP test or is it best to wait until the start of my next phase to test and switch over.

Best,

Josh

Hey Josh,

You should absolutely retest anytime you change your power source, so you're on the right track :) Switching out the Tuesday ride for an FTP test is a great time to do this as well, so go ahead and carry on as planned.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked in the past, and seeing as I decided to shake the dust off the ol' turbo, thought I would ask again, any chance you guys have the P1 pedals able to control a kickr?

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
I asked in the past, and seeing as I decided to shake the dust off the ol' turbo, thought I would ask again, any chance you guys have the P1 pedals able to control a kickr?

Yes, you can do that via the PowerMatch feature that's available on all of our platforms. You can turn that on in the device settings once you pair your P1 pedals.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have used that same combination for over two years now. Just make sure that you use ANT+ for the P1s instead of Bluetooth to get accurate power reading. BT only links one of the pedals and doubles that, which isn’t a reliable solution.

Any news on when we can expect true double sided power readings for the P1s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, I tried it out today.. as per the post below your reply, I had tried last year using Bluetooth with the P1 pedals and it did only show the single sided power number.
I tried today and still using Bluetooth with iPhone 6,
During the warmup I started in manual powermatch with a +15 offset. After the second ramp in warmup I bumped it to +25 to get it to match and than on the final warmup ramp I upped it to +36 to get a match. Goal watt was 240 and NP came in at 237 so I was happy with that heading into the main body of the workout(Slide mountain) All 3 of the sets had a target wattage of 212, my first set NP was 211, second set was NP 219 and final NP 223. The rest target wattage was 125 and I was in the 135-140 range.

So I am just curious if there is anything I can do to keep the wattage at the target!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I tried it out today.. as per the post below your reply, I had tried last year using Bluetooth with the P1 pedals and it did only show the single sided power number.
I tried today and still using Bluetooth with iPhone 6,
During the warmup I started in manual powermatch with a +15 offset. After the second ramp in warmup I bumped it to +25 to get it to match and than on the final warmup ramp I upped it to +36 to get a match. Goal watt was 240 and NP came in at 237 so I was happy with that heading into the main body of the workout(Slide mountain) All 3 of the sets had a target wattage of 212, my first set NP was 211, second set was NP 219 and final NP 223. The rest target wattage was 125 and I was in the 135-140 range.

So I am just curious if there is anything I can do to keep the wattage at the target!

Use the auto feature for powermatch instead of the manual feature. We'll auto adjust the differences on the fly.

You above scenario is frustrating, the Kickr is no where close to your P1 pedals.

We've got some work slated to do some behind the scenes BT stuff, when we do that I think we'll be able to auto pair to both P1s too.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Team,

Any update on the below item:
If I have an electronic trainer, can I designate specific intervals in a custom-created workout to switch out of ERG mode and into resistance or standard mode?
No. At the moment, it is not possible to create a workout that will prompt your trainer to automatically switch modes within the workout. All custom workouts will default to ERG mode. If you'd like to do a workout in a mode other than ERG, you'll need to manually perform this switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi-
I've been on trainerroad since November and I've been enjoying the structure and no nonsense approach to getting faster! I was listening to some of your older podcasts and I heard you mentioning "training camps" which sounded great. I was wondering if they are already implemented (if so, how do I find them) or if not are they still in the works. I was thinking about doing a short "training camp" between my Sweet Spot Base 2 and my Build Phase.
Thanks for the great product!
Brent

Thanks,
Brent

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Brent 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent 1 wrote:
Hi-
I've been on trainerroad since November and I've been enjoying the structure and no nonsense approach to getting faster! I was listening to some of your older podcasts and I heard you mentioning "training camps" which sounded great. I was wondering if they are already implemented (if so, how do I find them) or if not are they still in the works. I was thinking about doing a short "training camp" between my Sweet Spot Base 2 and my Build Phase.
Brent

Hey Brent,

Unfortunately, the Training Camps feature has been put on the backburner for now to make room for some other big features that we felt would have a greater impact on making our users faster. We still hope to bring the Training Camps idea into reality, but unfortunately we do not have a time frame at this time.

Sorry I don't have better news :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce -
I'm new to TrainerRoad and liking it so far. I'm doing Florida 70.3 in April and I'm currently 12 weeks out. I jumped into TrainerRoad with 16 weeks till my race. I just wrapped 4 weeks of half distance, mid-volume base and as of this week jumped into half distance, mid-volume build. My plan is to complete first 4 weeks of build and complete the last 8 weeks in mid-volume specialty. Is this the right approach? Open to any suggestions.

Got another question for you or anyone else reading this - I'm headed to Aspen, CO next week for work. I currently live in CT. Planning out my training while away. Should I be concerned with altitude? I wont have access to a bike and a trainer, let alone trainerroad while im away (unless anyone in aspen has one) should i just get on a stationary bike and ride? Is that better than nothing? Just came off an easy week.

Thanks.
- Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmyh49aus wrote:
Hi Team,

Any update on the below item:
If I have an electronic trainer, can I designate specific intervals in a custom-created workout to switch out of ERG mode and into resistance or standard mode?
No. At the moment, it is not possible to create a workout that will prompt your trainer to automatically switch modes within the workout. All custom workouts will default to ERG mode. If you'd like to do a workout in a mode other than ERG, you'll need to manually perform this switch.

No, sorry Jimmy. Our workout creator is pretty old and we haven't put new resources against it. It works just fine but you can't do the auto ERG mode switching like you're asking.

We do plan on making it much easier to switch modes in the app.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Brent 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent 1 wrote:
Hi-
Brent

To give a bit more info from what Bryce already said:

We went further into the details of training camps and there was a ton of detail stuff that made it very hard to implement a good training camp. We're putting the ground work now to make it a possibility in the future. I still really like the idea and want to use it myself!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next