Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [charlot12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlot12 wrote:
Hey guys from Trainerroad,

Actually on SSB high volume ll, i'm planning to do "Tour du mont blanc" on 21st july, that's 330km 8000d+.
I imagine following the classic route Base=>Build=>Speciality must be the best but should I add a little more endurance ride on the week end, eventually outside if I feel it doesn't impair the plan ?

Thanks a lot

Hey there!

The best route for you to take is going to be:

Sweet Spot Base
Sustained Power Build
Century Specialty Plan

If you check out the weekly tips, they often give long endurance options for your Sunday Ride that can be easily completed outdoors. These suggestions take into account the overall TSS load and give you a comparable outdoor workout.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Thanks so much for replying, you guys are great! I have one more follow up question for you. So again, I just completed base, build, specialty for Sprint. I took one week easy after finishing and now I'm ready to get back to training. My A race 70.3 is 30 weeks out. I plan on doing two Olympics, one in June and one in July. The Half iron plan is only 24 week's total. Should I start that now and just repeat 6 weeks of that? If so, which 6 weeks? Base, build or specialty. Or is there another plan you recommend for the six weeks prior to the half iron. Pleasse let me know. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kmck27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to change the whole sequence of workouts back a day? For example Id like my ride to start on a Monday instead of a Tuesday, with all the subsequent workouts moved back a day accordingly?
Quote Reply
Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to be my first "season" and I am planning to do a sprint triathlon approximately every four weeks from May to September, I have already completed different base and build programs to this point, would it be appropriate to do two maybe three specialty sprint programs in a row while matching my races with the four and eight weeks race workouts? or are specialty programs meant to be done one followed by a more "relaxed" program?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kmck27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kmck27 wrote:
Bryce,

Thanks so much for replying, you guys are great! I have one more follow up question for you. So again, I just completed base, build, specialty for Sprint. I took one week easy after finishing and now I'm ready to get back to training. My A race 70.3 is 30 weeks out. I plan on doing two Olympics, one in June and one in July. The Half iron plan is only 24 week's total. Should I start that now and just repeat 6 weeks of that? If so, which 6 weeks? Base, build or specialty. Or is there another plan you recommend for the six weeks prior to the half iron. Pleasse let me know. Thanks!

So you have a few options here.

If you want to improve all three of your disciplines evenly, then repeating the Base Phase of the Triathlon plan is a good way to go. For example, you could do Weeks 1-8 of the Base Phase and then repeat Weeks 3-8 of the Base program to build your Base even further.

Another option if you want to improve your Bike leg specifically, is to complete 6 weeks of Traditional Base to give yourself a chance to build your cycling base without the concern of the Training Stress from your other disciplines.

I hope that gives you an idea of what you can do next, feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Is there a way to change the whole sequence of workouts back a day? For example Id like my ride to start on a Monday instead of a Tuesday, with all the subsequent workouts moved back a day accordingly?

Unfortunately, we do not have any way to adjust or edit Training Plans at this time. For our next major project, we will be creating a calendar view that will allow more flexibility and planning options, however we do not yet have an ETA for this feature since we have not started development on it quite yet.

For now, your completed workouts will snap to your plan regardless of the day you complete them on. For example, if the ride is scheduled for Tuesday but you complete it on a Monday, it will still mark as compelted in your plan.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaniD wrote:
This is going to be my first "season" and I am planning to do a sprint triathlon approximately every four weeks from May to September, I have already completed different base and build programs to this point, would it be appropriate to do two maybe three specialty sprint programs in a row while matching my races with the four and eight weeks race workouts? or are specialty programs meant to be done one followed by a more "relaxed" program?

Thank you.

We typically recommend against doing Specialty Phases back to back to back. What we tend to recommend instead is what we call a "Re-build". This will have you complete a full Base/Build/Specialty progression, and then follow that up with another Build/Specialty training block. This will get you to the same place time wise, but the variation in types of work will allow you to keep progressing rather than hitting a fitness plateu.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any other questions :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
dunno wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not have any way to adjust or edit Training Plans at this time. For our next major project, we will be creating a calendar view that will allow more flexibility and planning options, however we do not yet have an ETA for this feature since we have not started development on it quite yet.

For now, your completed workouts will snap to your plan regardless of the day you complete them on. For example, if the ride is scheduled for Tuesday but you complete it on a Monday, it will still mark as compelted in your plan.

Cheers!

Thanks for getting back to me. Used TrainerRoad for the first time this morning and loved it! I prefer it to Zwift-There is no cheating or backing off so I’m certain of a productive session and also frees up my telly to watch TV/YouTube/movies etc. fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce/Nate,

Was there a changed to how backspins are perceived by TrainerRoad? (I'm on Windows - latest version)

I don't often do them but previously when you started backspinning it would pause the workout and when you resumed you'd basically be where you left off.

Last few workouts it seems backspinning goes to 0w and the interval continues (and you can't "make up" the lost time unless you revert to that point in the workout) is this by design?

Didn't see this in any change log...

Not sure this is undesirable, the workout recorded is actually more in tune with what you did versus before, but it would be nice to be able to not lose that 5-20s of interval time when you are "back into it".

Thanks.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
Bryce/Nate,

Was there a changed to how backspins are perceived by TrainerRoad? (I'm on Windows - latest version)

I don't often do them but previously when you started backspinning it would pause the workout and when you resumed you'd basically be where you left off.

Last few workouts it seems backspinning goes to 0w and the interval continues (and you can't "make up" the lost time unless you revert to that point in the workout) is this by design?

Didn't see this in any change log...

Not sure this is undesirable, the workout recorded is actually more in tune with what you did versus before, but it would be nice to be able to not lose that 5-20s of interval time when you are "back into it".

Thanks.

This is not so much related to an update as a setting. In the Settings within the App, there is an option to enable/disable "Pedal to Play/Pause". If this is enabled, your workout will pause when you stop pedaling. If it is disabled, then the workout will continue on as normal. It sounds like this setting was accidently disabled, so all you need to do is enable it in your settings and you will be good to go :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

This is not so much related to an update as a setting. In the Settings within the App, there is an option to enable/disable "Pedal to Play/Pause". If this is enabled, your workout will pause when you stop pedaling. If it is disabled, then the workout will continue on as normal. It sounds like this setting was accidently disabled, so all you need to do is enable it in your settings and you will be good to go :)

Thanks, will check this!

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response, it does makes sense, I will schedule two sets of build/specialty instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat..

I had been using Trainerroad with my Kickr Snap in Erg mode for a few years, and now I've bought Favero Assioma Duo power meter pedals. So now I use those as my power source with TR (power match enabled). I have power smoothing set at 5 or 7 seconds.

Two questions:

1) on ramping efforts or short intervals, I can never "catch up" to the prescribed power.. I'm always behind despite very high (for me) cadence. Is this normal or is there something I should be doing?
2) is it pretty standard that the Snap would give higher power numbers than a power meter? This is just perception but everything feels 10-20 watts harder now that I use the power meter.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat..

I had been using Trainerroad with my Kickr Snap in Erg mode for a few years, and now I've bought Favero Assioma Duo power meter pedals. So now I use those as my power source with TR (power match enabled). I have power smoothing set at 5 or 7 seconds.

Two questions:

1) on ramping efforts or short intervals, I can never "catch up" to the prescribed power.. I'm always behind despite very high (for me) cadence. Is this normal or is there something I should be doing?
2) is it pretty standard that the Snap would give higher power numbers than a power meter? This is just perception but everything feels 10-20 watts harder now that I use the power meter.

Thanks,

For Part 1, this is an issue that is likely best addressed by Support since they can take a look at your log files and see what is going on behind the scenes. Assuming you are using ERG though, you may want to try using your easiest possible gear duing workouts. The lower wheelspeed allows the Kickr Snap to adjust faster to changes in Target Power.

For Part 2, we have found that the Kickr can sometimes overreport power compared to a standard power meter. As such, we recommend completing a new FTP test every time you change power sources to allow yourself to "re-calibrate" the difficulty to the way your device is reporting power.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Bryce -

I'll open a ticket with Support. And sure enough.. I did the new Ramp test this morning and already got my new FTP back.. and it's 31 watts lower than my prior Snap-based FTP. I've decided to think that it's the new pedals that are reading low, not the other way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
thanks Bryce -

I'll open a ticket with Support. And sure enough.. I did the new Ramp test this morning and already got my new FTP back.. and it's 31 watts lower than my prior Snap-based FTP. I've decided to think that it's the new pedals that are reading low, not the other way around.

The Ramp test is experimental. It could be where the error lies. I'd do a standard FTP test with the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
thanks Bryce -

While DJFaithful is 100% correct in that some of that discrepancy could come from an unfamiliarity with the new testing protocol, the Ramp Test is no longer in it's experimental stages anymore. For now, it is still in the Beta Phase, but after 5000 individual Ramp tests, we are very confident in the formula that we are currently using.

For this reason, you are totally fine to start training with your new FTP and see how it feels. If you feel like you are being under-challenged, then you can manually bump up your FTP, or retest with the traditional 8 or 20 minute testing protocols.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: I recently changed power meters from a Powertap C1 to Powertap P1 pedals. With this change I'm noticing that TrainerRoad is reading the power output 9-10 watts higher than my Garmin Fenix 3, whereas before with the C1 the readings were identical. Any idea what might be going on and how I can fix it? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [808nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that using a single power source (P1 Pedals) both being displayed on the watch and trainer road at the same time are reading 10w different? Is smoothing set the same between them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR is only picking up power from the left pedal and doubling it. This can be corrected with an ANT+ dongle and transmitting power that way rather than through Bluetooth. It's a major annoyance, but it is what it is and isn't high on TR's list of things to correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808nation wrote:
Question: I recently changed power meters from a Powertap C1 to Powertap P1 pedals. With this change I'm noticing that TrainerRoad is reading the power output 9-10 watts higher than my Garmin Fenix 3, whereas before with the C1 the readings were identical. Any idea what might be going on and how I can fix it? Thanks.

As pvolv mentioned, this issue is likely a result of the way we each record the data sent from the pedals.

The Garmin takes the power from the left and adds it to the power from the right.

Via Bluetooth, we take the left power and double it. This can cause a slight difference if your power balance is not a perfect 50/50. We do support L+R power via ANT+ though, so if you aquire an ANT+ dongle, you can bring your power readings back in line with each other.

The reason that we do not have Bluetooth support for L+R readings is due to the fact that each manufacturer has a different way of sending the data and we would have to write individual code for each device. This would be very taxing on our Development Resources and we are currently using those resources to develop Performance Analytics and the upcoming TrainerRoad Calendar Support.

Sorry I don't have better news for you today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce--just finished full im mid vol base. This week marks week 1 of build. I'm away starting Thursday though the weekend with no bike access. Should I follow the plan until I leave and add an extra run or move the long Saturday bike up in the schedule?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Speciality Sprint Medium Volume [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Hey Bryce--just finished full im mid vol base. This week marks week 1 of build. I'm away starting Thursday though the weekend with no bike access. Should I follow the plan until I leave and add an extra run or move the long Saturday bike up in the schedule?

I am going to assume that you will be able to run on your trip, is that correct?

If so, go ahead and move that long Saturday ride forward in your plan, say Wednesday, and shift your VO2 max run to Friday. Then, while on your trip, simply follow the run workouts as best you can :)

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will be able to run but won't have the time for the long one. Trying to earn spousal approval units early in the plan so I can zone in for the remaining few months ;)

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if TR is planning on better integration with TrainingPeaks in the future. With Zwift, I can open the workouts page and my prescribed TP workout is listed right there and I can start the workout right away. Incredibly simple. With TR I have to download the erg file and make my own custom workout with the erg file. It is a pain in the butt.

I would prefer to use TR for this, but I hate the process in which I need to go through to start those workouts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next