Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not. Running on a Lenovo with i7. I'll give disabling the wifi a shot, although one of the reasons to move to the laptop is to watch online content...maybe I'll have to run a wired connection if it works. Thanks for the ssuggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that on my laptop (dell latitude e5530) disabling the WIFIwill fix the dropping connection issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah.... I did go back and forward with TR support about Wi-Fi being almost for sure the cause for the problem (maybe even with RJ45, the problem may exist), but as helpful as they are (trust me, they are super helpful), things never evolve much other than, it must be interference, or distance, or what have you...

but you/I can clearly see a pattern not only when Wi-Fi is present, but also when there are network changes/refresh/DHCP renew, maybe?

so yeah...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed the same issue recently. I've only used the desktop app. I've changed the batteries in my Powertap hoping to fix that issue. I got another ANT stick, but that wasn't it either. I was thinking that it's possibly my Powertap hub?!?!

I'll try disabling the Wi-Fi till I see TrainerRoad makes an announcement on this thread that the issue has been fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes most definitely they are very helpful. Being a software developer myself I understand that these things happen.

Just not too happy extending the vo2max intervals with 20 more seconds ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like you had many years of successful use of the desktop app until a change at the end of Dec 2016 (can't remember the exact day but somewhere in the last week).

Since then neither I nor my wife (both using Tacx Neo's on a number of different laptops), have been able to get the current (post end-of-Dec 2016) desktop version to work for a single hour long ride without a massive number of dropouts/pauses, (like 20 or more... to a point where I usually kill it). I have been troubleshooting with TrainerRoad support off and on for several months. To be fair, they've been really supportive. It's the usual... something must be wrong on my end, some change must have happened, so unfortunately the troubleshooting focuses on that, but I understand why they do that as that's where the biggest potential variability is, but eventually it gets a little tiring.

That being said, for several years I did not have a single issue of dropouts causing the workout to pause and post end-of-Dec 2016, I have literally not had a single successful ride without multiple drops after that update.

My fix, run the legacy application instead. Ask TrainerRoad for a link to the legacy application (I'd post it but I don't know if they would want me to), or you can PM me and I'll shoot you the link to the download that I have, and then just don't update it. I'm sure that won't be an indefinite fix as I suspect at some point something isn't going to be compatible, but for the past 8 or 9 months, that is what has worked for me.

The legacy application works flawlessly, just like it always did.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried using a USB extension cable to put the Ant+ usb stick right under your bottom bracket? That is how I have my desktop setup, and I haven't had a drop-out issue. This is the USB extension cable I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/...20558379&sr=8-17 it is the one that TrainerRoad recommends in this support article on device dropouts: https://support.trainerroad.com/...2644-Device-Dropouts

For what it is worth, my desktop computer (Intel NUC running Windows 10) is connected via ethernet, and I've turned the wifi in the NUC off.

Good luck

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bhoage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. That's frustrating. Yes, I can't ever recall having problems when I used the desktop software pre-2016. Shame it seems to have gone downhill for so many people. Appreciate you taking the time to write out an update.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently saw something from DC Rainmaker that Garmin cycling dynamics is being incorporated into the TrainerRoad platform. During the video it appeared as if there are elements of power applied within stroke quadrant (don't know how else to describe it) and in/out of saddle time.

I am wondering if any of this will be made available to non-Garmin power people? I've got the P1 pedals and I know a lot of that power/quadrant data is available within the powertap app when connected to the pedals. Some of that data, including L/R balance is also passed from the pedals through my head unit (Garmin) into connect...

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!
-Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure I'm being mental but is there anyway to move forward or backwards in the workout in the iOS app?

Sometimes I need to blow my nose or refill water and forget to pause the app and it keeps moving forward.

On desktop app I could just drag the yellow bar to where I paused in the workout and be fine. Can't figure out how to do that in the app.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you turned on auto-pause? This will automatically pause TrainerRoad when you stop pedaling

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Ugh. That's frustrating. Yes, I can't ever recall having problems when I used the desktop software pre-2016. Shame it seems to have gone downhill for so many people. Appreciate you taking the time to write out an update.

Sorry to hear you're encountering these issues. :/

Were you able to give disabling WiFi a shot? I would lean towards diagnosing your problems as caused by interference as well, especially since all devices seems to drop signal simultaneously. If you're able to try a workout with WiFi off (and turn off all wireless devices in your training environment), and you find that you don't experience these issues, we can change the frequency your WiFi travels on and you can continue to use internet while you train. Let us know if that's the case.

Another thing that came to mind...do you have a good amount of memory on your machine? If the issue becomes increasingly evident when you navigate through other programs, I wonder if you're finding a limitation with the CPU capacity of your machine. If you don't need some of those programs running in the background, try shutting them down and just using TR and your Youtube video could help things.

I wasn't able to find a recent conversation with our support agents—if you're willing to give things another shot, our support team will be do our best to get you back to training without this hassle as soon as possible.

Thanks, Jack! Let us know when you get the chance.

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lemos wrote:
yeah.... I did go back and forward with TR support about Wi-Fi being almost for sure the cause for the problem (maybe even with RJ45, the problem may exist), but as helpful as they are (trust me, they are super helpful), things never evolve much other than, it must be interference, or distance, or what have you...

but you/I can clearly see a pattern not only when Wi-Fi is present, but also when there are network changes/refresh/DHCP renew, maybe?

so yeah...

If you're also being plagued by WiFi interference, we can change the channel your WiFi travels on so you can continue to use internet while you train. Check this article out if that's causing you issues as well: Solving WiFi Interference

Sorry if our agents didn't send this to you when you were trying to troubleshoot your interference issues!

Let us know if this helps—thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
I have noticed the same issue recently. I've only used the desktop app. I've changed the batteries in my Powertap hoping to fix that issue. I got another ANT stick, but that wasn't it either. I was thinking that it's possibly my Powertap hub?!?!

I'll try disabling the Wi-Fi till I see TrainerRoad makes an announcement on this thread that the issue has been fixed.

Have you no longer been experiencing interference when training with WiFi turned off? If that's the case, check out the article below to learn how to change your WiFi channel: Solving WiFi interference

If you're still getting interference, even with WiFi turned off/channel changed, shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com so we can investigate what's causing you issues. :)

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Auto pause on. Sometimes it's goofy though. Still hope there is a way to advance workout to a certain spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
Recently saw something from DC Rainmaker that Garmin cycling dynamics is being incorporated into the TrainerRoad platform. During the video it appeared as if there are elements of power applied within stroke quadrant (don't know how else to describe it) and in/out of saddle time.

I am wondering if any of this will be made available to non-Garmin power people? I've got the P1 pedals and I know a lot of that power/quadrant data is available within the powertap app when connected to the pedals. Some of that data, including L/R balance is also passed from the pedals through my head unit (Garmin) into connect...

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!
-Mike

Hey Mike,

At this time, we'll only be supporting Cycling Dynamics for the Vector pedals. :/ The current challenge is to standardize the pedal dynamics—Garmin does it one way, PowerTap another way, Pioneer another way, etc.

But we'll definitely make some noise if that changes and we start supporting pedal dynamics from other power meters. :)

Wish I had some better news for you Mike! Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I'm sure I'm being mental but is there anyway to move forward or backwards in the workout in the iOS app?

Sometimes I need to blow my nose or refill water and forget to pause the app and it keeps moving forward.

On desktop app I could just drag the yellow bar to where I paused in the workout and be fine. Can't figure out how to do that in the app.

You can't jump around in the workout in the mobile apps at the moment. We have the ability to "Finish a Ride" if you end up having to cut one short and want to finish it at a later date, but that won't help you in your case. :/

The good news is we will be updating the mobile app with this functionality down the road!

I am a bit concerned why pedal to play/pause isn't working properly for you though... it should just pause when your cadence comes to a stop. If you're willing to look into this further with us, shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com and we'll be happy to look into it.

Feel free to let us know. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday when I opened Tr ainerRoad, there was a notification for a software update. I was in a hurry and didn't read what the update addressed. I did the update and proceeded with my workout with the Wi-Fi still on. No dropping of the signal.

If I have the issue again, I'll check out your Wi-Fi suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Yesterday when I opened Tr ainerRoad, there was a notification for a software update. I was in a hurry and didn't read what the update addressed. I did the update and proceeded with my workout with the Wi-Fi still on. No dropping of the signal.

If I have the issue again, I'll check out your Wi-Fi suggestions.

That's good news! :D

Please, loop us in if you run into the issue again. We're happy to look into it and see what we can do to address the problem.

Thanks again!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

In the old version of the laptop interface, I could filter workouts by length, intensity, ... Once the list of filtered workouts was displayed I could sort those workouts within the list. (i.e. longer workouts to shorter workouts, higher TSS to lower TSS, ...)

In the new laptop interface, I can figure out how to filter the workouts, but can't figure out how to sort within those filtered workouts. Is there a way to do this? I'd like to get it figured out as I'm going to be doing a lot more indoor training soon.

Thanks

-- Scott
Last edited by: TriScott: Sep 28, 17 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys ever thought about verbally narrating the workout instructions? Deep into an interval, I don't know whether having Chad in my ear telling me to focus on my breathing would be really beneficial or really annoying.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, do you every expect differences in power readings depending on the unit receiving the readings?

I've done several 'free rides' recently. Each time I've paired my P1 pedals to TR and calibrated, and also paired them to my Garmin 920xt and calibrated. During the ride my power displayed on the TR app is consistently 4-6 watts higher than on my garmin. Not really a big deal, but shouldn't they be literally exactly the same?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying. I had forgotten TrainerRoad is one of the companies with excellent customer service and thus dropped a note to the collective Slowtwitch wisdom.

I did get a chance to test with the wifi turned off tonight. I killed the wireless router, wireless on phone and laptop, and removed the nearby z-wave plug. I didn't experience any more total dropouts, but did still have 5-10 brief dropouts from the Kickr and one delayed interval start. I am using a Garmin ANT+ usb on an extension place just off to the left of the front axle.

Laptop has an Intel i7 with 8gb of memory so I don't think that is the issue. The power meter has fresh batteries as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome to hear that feature is coming in a new update.

I'll try to remember to submit a ticket. It never auto paused in last version. In latest version it mostly will. So it hasn t been as big of an issue with me forgetting to pause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Towards the end of the last year I was describing here the issues I had with TR app and Elite Real Turbo Muin.
Long story short, the resistance changes were generally wery slow and frustrating :)
I haven't been using TR for more than a half of the year. Now just started new turbo trainer season. After few sessions, I don't know guys what you have done, but the app now is working with trainer beautifully. The power follows the target nicely, the resistance changes are much faster, even over 100W it takes around 8-10s. So very happy, well done!

But I have noticed that sometimes the power doesn't hit the target during recovery, staying above the target roughly 20W. Not big deal for me , doing recovery on 100W or 120W.
On the other spectrum, the power hits the target spot on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next