Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
Hi Nick,

In the old version of the laptop interface, I could filter workouts by length, intensity, ... Once the list of filtered workouts was displayed I could sort those workouts within the list. (i.e. longer workouts to shorter workouts, higher TSS to lower TSS, ...)

In the new laptop interface, I can figure out how to filter the workouts, but can't figure out how to sort within those filtered workouts. Is there a way to do this? I'd like to get it figured out as I'm going to be doing a lot more indoor training soon.

Thanks

Hey Scott,

There is indeed a way to do this on the new version. :)

Once you've drilled into the filters, select the field at the top of the filters drop down menu labeled "Sorting By Name A-Z", which is the default. You'll then see the option to sort everything by Name, Date, Duration, TSS, and Intensity.

Give us a holler if you have any issues getting things sorted. Thanks!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
You guys ever thought about verbally narrating the workout instructions? Deep into an interval, I don't know whether having Chad in my ear telling me to focus on my breathing would be really beneficial or really annoying.

Thanks for your suggestion!

We think audible narration of the workout instructions could get a bit messy and might be a little impractical, so we're leaning more towards doing sort of audible beeps when workout instructions come up. We're still not settled on exactly what we're going to do but we do have some ideas in the works on it.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Nick, do you every expect differences in power readings depending on the unit receiving the readings?

I've done several 'free rides' recently. Each time I've paired my P1 pedals to TR and calibrated, and also paired them to my Garmin 920xt and calibrated. During the ride my power displayed on the TR app is consistently 4-6 watts higher than on my garmin. Not really a big deal, but shouldn't they be literally exactly the same?

Howdy,

There are couple things that could lead to different readings on two separate devices like this:

1. Check to make sure the power smoothing settings match on your head-unit and within TrainerRoad. You'll find these settings in TR in the 'Settings' tab of the app.

2. If you're paired over Bluetooth to TrainerRoad and on ANT+ to your head-unit, you would likely see some discrepancy in your power readings between the two devices. This is because the current implementation of the P1s has the power from your left pedal doubled on BT, and has your left and right leg's power added together over ANT+. We know this is less than ideal and will be implementing L/R in the future. We suggest pairing over ANT+ to TR in the meantime if you have the ability to.

Check and see if you fall into either camp. If you're still seeing discrepancy after you make sure the power smoothing settings match and you're connected over the same protocol, shoot us a message at support@trainerroad.com and we'll be happy to investigate. :)

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
CCF wrote:
Nick, do you every expect differences in power readings depending on the unit receiving the readings?

I've done several 'free rides' recently. Each time I've paired my P1 pedals to TR and calibrated, and also paired them to my Garmin 920xt and calibrated. During the ride my power displayed on the TR app is consistently 4-6 watts higher than on my garmin. Not really a big deal, but shouldn't they be literally exactly the same?

Howdy,

There are couple things that could lead to different readings on two separate devices like this:

1. Check to make sure the power smoothing settings match on your head-unit and within TrainerRoad. You'll find these settings in TR in the 'Settings' tab of the app.

2. If you're paired over Bluetooth to TrainerRoad and on ANT+ to your head-unit, you would likely see some discrepancy in your power readings between the two devices. This is because the current implementation of the P1s has the power from your left pedal doubled on BT, and has your left and right leg's power added together over ANT+. We know this is less than ideal and will be implementing L/R in the future. We suggest pairing over ANT+ to TR in the meantime if you have the ability to.

Check and see if you fall into either camp. If you're still seeing discrepancy after you make sure the power smoothing settings match and you're connected over the same protocol, shoot us a message at support@trainerroad.com and we'll be happy to investigate. :)

Thanks!

Thank you. I was talking about average power, like on a lap-to-lap basis, so smoothing shouldn't make a difference. Sorry I didn't specify.

How do you tell if you are connected via bluetooth or ANT+? I've got both going, but I don't see any obvious way to tell how it is connected, the device page just lists 'Colin's Pedals' and 'Colin's Kickr', I don't see any 'connection type' field.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying. I had forgotten TrainerRoad is one of the companies with excellent customer service and thus dropped a note to the collective Slowtwitch wisdom.

I did get a chance to test with the wifi turned off tonight. I killed the wireless router, wireless on phone and laptop, and removed the nearby z-wave plug. I didn't experience any more total dropouts, but did still have 5-10 brief dropouts from the Kickr and one delayed interval start. I am using a Garmin ANT+ usb on an extension place just off to the left of the front axle.

Laptop has an Intel i7 with 8gb of memory so I don't think that is the issue. The power meter has fresh batteries as well.

Of course man! We just want to get you back on track without any hassle as soon as we can. :)

It does sound like you got a bit of a better experience with the WiFi off, so here's an article that outlines how to change the channel it travels on. That way you can continue to use WiFi while you train. Solving WiFi Interference

But with all your wireless devices turned off (including WiFi), and still encountering dropouts, I'm wondering if you're experiencing an issue with the optical sensor of your KICKR...Sometimes dust and debris can get caught in this area. The good news is you can easily take a piece of tissue and gently run it through the area of the optical sensor. It is between the flywheel and the arm that extends from the base of the unit. I'm pretty sure this only applies to generation 1 KICKRs though.

Give that a shot and let us know if you get any better luck. Thanks Jack

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Awesome to hear that feature is coming in a new update.

I'll try to remember to submit a ticket. It never auto paused in last version. In latest version it mostly will. So it hasn t been as big of an issue with me forgetting to pause.

Cool cool. If it does start to bug, just shoot an email our way and we'll be on it like white on rice. :)

Cheers

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
Towards the end of the last year I was describing here the issues I had with TR app and Elite Real Turbo Muin.
Long story short, the resistance changes were generally wery slow and frustrating :)
I haven't been using TR for more than a half of the year. Now just started new turbo trainer season. After few sessions, I don't know guys what you have done, but the app now is working with trainer beautifully. The power follows the target nicely, the resistance changes are much faster, even over 100W it takes around 8-10s. So very happy, well done!

But I have noticed that sometimes the power doesn't hit the target during recovery, staying above the target roughly 20W. Not big deal for me , doing recovery on 100W or 120W.
On the other spectrum, the power hits the target spot on.

BOOM! That's awesome news — glad to hear everything's running smoothly for you now. :)

It sounds like the issue in the recovery valleys is your gearing ratio. Sometimes your gearing ratio can keep you from hitting those low wattages. Try shifting down a bit to the point you can hit those wattages during recovery, then the resistance load will be able to increase to keep you on track during the work intervals.

Let us know if that gets you back on track there. Thanks for dropping in to let us know!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
TriScott wrote:
Hi Nick,

In the old version of the laptop interface, I could filter workouts by length, intensity, ... Once the list of filtered workouts was displayed I could sort those workouts within the list. (i.e. longer workouts to shorter workouts, higher TSS to lower TSS, ...)

In the new laptop interface, I can figure out how to filter the workouts, but can't figure out how to sort within those filtered workouts. Is there a way to do this? I'd like to get it figured out as I'm going to be doing a lot more indoor training soon.

Thanks

Hey Scott,

There is indeed a way to do this on the new version. :)

Once you've drilled into the filters, select the field at the top of the filters drop down menu labeled "Sorting By Name A-Z", which is the default. You'll then see the option to sort everything by Name, Date, Duration, TSS, and Intensity.

Give us a holler if you have any issues getting things sorted. Thanks!

Thanks Nick. I've got it figured out now. I was looking in the main window, not the pop-up.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Thank you. I was talking about average power, like on a lap-to-lap basis, so smoothing shouldn't make a difference. Sorry I didn't specify.

How do you tell if you are connected via bluetooth or ANT+? I've got both going, but I don't see any obvious way to tell how it is connected, the device page just lists 'Colin's Pedals' and 'Colin's Kickr', I don't see any 'connection type' field.

Gotcha gotcha. So it sounds like it's more likely the difference in connection protocols that could cause this. Your Garmin can only connect to ANT+ devices so you'll know it's connected via ANT+ there. For TrainerRoad, you'll see a small icon for BT and a small icon for ANT+ indicating which it's connected over. Click the following hyperlinks to check which icon you'll be looking for: Bluetooth and ANT+

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Thanks, I will go ahead and take a look through the wifi guide.

Could you describe cleaning the optical sensor in a little more detail? Is this located between the fly wheel and stationary mounting disc?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a question for you all. Recently signed back up for TR after a 6 month hiatus and connected ride sync to my garmin account / strava and it does not seem to be working. I have zwift connected to strava and ride with that in the background. The other day I rode a workout for 10 minutes as a test and it saved on my TR profile but not to strava or GC. Zwift went over to strava fine.

Anyone else have this issue? Do I have to ride for the entire workout and finish it if I want it to save? If so will free ride fix this if I am not going to finish the entire workout? Just thinking out loud in the possible issue.

I am using my imac with 2 ant+ sticks while riding with the kickr snap and wahoo cadence/speed sensor.

Thanks in advance and I did put in a ticket with them as well.
Last edited by: ericallenboyd: Sep 30, 17 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellas, I have two scheduling questions for you...

1) I have an Oly race on Sunday, Oct 15 (two weeks from today). I am SCHEDULED to start Week 4 of the 40kTT specialty phase on Tuesday. Should I skip to week 7 (except Dardenelles +1) then Week 8 for Race Week? (Target race time for the bike (it's a 37k distance) is 58m - 59m.)

2) Once that has passed, I will be focusing on the HITS 1/2IM distance race on Saturday Jan 6. I'm not sure what plan I should start...prior to THIS Olympic Race, I did the Oly Tri Mid Volume, then 40kTT Low Volume (see above). By my count, I'd have TEN weeks from the end of the Oly above to the race. I'll have one week (Thanksgiving Week) completely away from the bike, so that gives me NINE weeks to work hard. I'll be attempting to ride ~2h15m or so, as a frame of reference.

THANK YOU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid presales question:

I'm looking at doing a 70.3 and a full IM next year and need help on the bike. Are there workouts that I can use that are IM or course specific? I guess I'm worried that when it says "4 hour ride" I'm not really doing something challenging that will help on game day.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [handsomeloser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Choose one of their specific training programs. It will be challenging enough. If not, you can "dialup" the percentage of FTP for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I've always thought of having the option to "turn off" the numerical power display and only see the green colored bar that tells you whether you're under or over power. I think sometimes I get into my own head when I'm staring at the power number and think that just knowing whether or not I'm on power might be beneficial. Maybe a user "customize display" option.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Also, I've always thought of having the option to "turn off" the numerical power display and only see the green colored bar that tells you whether you're under or over power. I think sometimes I get into my own head when I'm staring at the power number and think that just knowing whether or not I'm on power might be beneficial. Maybe a user "customize display" option.

cloy, I am 110% certain this happens to me during the FTP test. My simple solution..... Take my glasses off, cover my computer screen with a wash cloth, and use my wrist watch to keep time! Doesn't always work, but it has helped enough to continue doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a recommended resistance i should put my tacx blue matic turbo at for taking the ftp test. Using virtual power. Hope to have a PM soon. I took the 8 minute FTP last week in resistance level 2 but i ended up spinning out in the top gear and average power was quite low. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Traineroad,

I am a relatively new participant to the Traineroad program having only worked my way through the Sweet Spot Base program but I've enjoyed the program so far. I've decided to sign up for the Dubai 70.3 early next year and at this stage I have 17 weeks until race day.

Although I've done several HIMs in the past, I'm certainly not what I would consider even remotely fit at the moment and my training over the last few months has been fairly unstructured and inconsistent. That being said, I'm confident that my experience will get me through the race and I've accepted the fact that I won't be lowering my PB in this event most likely.

So, based on my current poor fitness level, what would be your recommendation on how to structure my training time leading up to the race? I was thinking of just undertaking the HIM Low-Volume Base Program followed by the Low/Mid Volume HIM Build Program. Or is there any benefit in incorporating any part of the Speciality HIM Program in your opinion?

Thanks for your input and feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
handsomeloser wrote:

I'm looking at doing a 70.3 and a full IM next year and need help on the bike. Are there workouts that I can use that are IM or course specific? I guess I'm worried that when it says "4 hour ride" I'm not really doing something challenging that will help on game day.

When I did Great Floridian in 2015 (VERY hilly race), I stuck with their plans and it worked phenomenally. I did have concerns that I would not be prepared for the steep/short rollers on the course, but I was MORE THAN prepared, just sticking to the prescribed workouts. Their pre-designed plans will work for you. In my experience, I did not require a course specific workout. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend Trainer Road based on my recent experience! Had done a few 70.3s but was not very strong on the bike and was concerned about the much longer ride for a full. Signed up for IM Chattanooga for this year and decided to give TR a try since the workouts were put together as a plan. I used the low volume versions of sweet spot base and the long course IM base, build, and specialty work outs (just the bike parts). I was concerned as you are about the long rides being long enough - they were. To ease my concerns, I just substituted some of the long rides (only 2-3) for longer outside rides and was pleasantly surprised at how well they went. My race went exceedingly well for me - I rode conservatively and the course felt easy and started the run w/fresh legs. I'll be using TR for all my future IM training for sure. Can't wait to start my offseason work!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [2pyrfam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for your comments on TR. Since my 70.3 is in June and full IM is in September, I will probably start mid November in getting back into gear. I made the mistake of overbooking marathons (Berlin, Chicago and Marine Corps (3 in 4 weeks!!)) so I'm going to sit on the couch and eat ice cream for two weeks then get back into the swing of things.

I appreciate everyone's help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks, I will go ahead and take a look through the wifi guide.

Could you describe cleaning the optical sensor in a little more detail? Is this located between the fly wheel and stationary mounting disc?

Thanks

Here's a couple images of the area that should help you locate it. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Fellas, I have two scheduling questions for you...

1) I have an Oly race on Sunday, Oct 15 (two weeks from today). I am SCHEDULED to start Week 4 of the 40kTT specialty phase on Tuesday. Should I skip to week 7 (except Dardenelles +1) then Week 8 for Race Week? (Target race time for the bike (it's a 37k distance) is 58m - 59m.)

2) Once that has passed, I will be focusing on the HITS 1/2IM distance race on Saturday Jan 6. I'm not sure what plan I should start...prior to THIS Olympic Race, I did the Oly Tri Mid Volume, then 40kTT Low Volume (see above). By my count, I'd have TEN weeks from the end of the Oly above to the race. I'll have one week (Thanksgiving Week) completely away from the bike, so that gives me NINE weeks to work hard. I'll be attempting to ride ~2h15m or so, as a frame of reference.

THANK YOU.

1) Scheduling Weeks 7 & 8 now to taper your training for the Oly sounds like a great approach. :)

2) Since you're coming out of a Build and Specialty cycle of training, we'd recommend taking a week or two off the bike before jumping back into training. So by that count, it's more like 7-8 weeks that you'll have to dedicate to preparing for the Half-Distance in January.

A fair approach for the event would be to "re-build" by doing 2-4 weeks in the Half-Distance Build plan, and then partially revisit the Half-Distance Specialty plan leading up to the event. Just make sure to schedule Weeks 7 & 8 into your training to properly taper for your event.

Hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
handsomeloser wrote:

Help on the bike we can do. In fact, our tri plans are comprehensive with run & swim instructions as well! :D

This is a question we see a lot, and it's totally understandable why. Events at such a distance are intimidating, and it's natural to think you have to train for X minutes to be able to ride for X minutes. But as far as establishing the necessary fitness to be able to do a long, long ride like an IM bike leg ... you can be more than prepared through the use of high-intensity interval training on a far more restrictive time schedule. That's not to say there isn't a lot of value in getting in the bike for extended periods of time to familiarize yourself with the potential for discomfort from the bike and to dial in your pacing/nutrition/hydration strategy. But the fitness itself will be trained to a point that you'll be more than capable of a sustained effort over extended durations.

Although we do include longer rides throughout the plan to provide you with an opportunity to dial in these specifics, users also have an option to ride their IM bike-legs within TrainerRoad as well. In order to do so, you'll need to download the TrainerRoad Workout Creator. Then you'll need to obtain the course file (best in .gpx format), which you can do through the service BestBikeSplit. Once you have the file within BestBikeSplit, you export it as a ERG file and drop that into the Workout Creator. Then your workout will be created and you'll be ready to ride the exact profile of your course.

Hope this helps answer your questions! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. And if you have any tech questions that come up, feel free to shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com. We'll be happy to help!

Cheers

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of questions re the Workout Creator.
1). I am wondering how to set a workout to automatically come out of erg mode. The 20 minute FTP test does that and so does Rubber Glove but I cannot see a setting to do that.
2) What part defines whether the details of the interval show at the end, power , target, HR etc. . Some intervals don't have it but I and not sure what drives it.

Just tried the wc in Zwift and that has a free ride segment to drop in, so I assume TR WC must have as well

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Last edited by: Johnnybike: Oct 3, 17 13:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next