Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [rodo34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rodo,

Yes, indeed. They're in the works with a handful of other plan revisions or creation. No timeline on them, but they'll follow the Build revisions and the first of our training camps, and I'm hard at work on all of that at this very minute.
rodo34 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thought I saw a post a while back that TR would be putting out training plans that take into account age i.e. Over 50. Was that wishful thinking on my part or is my age showing or am I just not finding it?
TR is a quality product. Really enjoying it.

Thanks.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ivar,

This depends on your incoming level of fitness. If you're starting from scratch or pretty deconditioned, your best sequence of plans is SSB I and II followed by something resembling a short taper (maybe 2 more of the latter weeks of SSB II and a recovery week).

With mid-level fitness, Build + Specialty is a workable approach, but you need to honestly assess your incoming fitness. Even reasonably fit athletes will see a nice bump in power following 6-12 weeks of Sweet Spot Base.

I'd only recommend skipping the Build phase and jumping straight to your specialty if you've already (and recently) been through a full 8 weeks of build conditioning, as in the case of a second peak. Otherwise, what you stand to gain from your Build training will probably serve you better than the refinement aimed at in the Specialty phase.

IvarAlmere wrote:

15 weeks from nowIi've my target A -race (od)

I want to start the Olympic distance plan.
Base mid volume = 6 weeks
Build mid volume = 8 weeks
Specialty phase = 8 weeks.

I can combine two plans to have 14 weeks of workouts.

The specialty Phase seems to build towards a peak, which seems desirable for my race. Is it advisable to replace the build for the Specialty Phase?

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response and time!

The SSB I & II (5 rides a week) is a little bit too much to fit into my agenda.

Edit
I see the low volumee plans SSB are 3 rides a week. I will follow the advice and start with the SSB.
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Feb 13, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Mainly for the healthy reasons I had about a month of brake from proper training, just few club rides in between. Before that I completed SSB I & II high volume.
Should I just pick up the next step, something from Build Phase and carry on, and lets say re-asses FTP after a week or so, or it would be more sensible to go back to the some point in SSB II and rebuild what was potentially lost. If that is the way to go, what the starting point it should be, how far I should go back?

Many thanks
Last edited by: 1415chris: Feb 13, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Llooking forward to them. Thanks so much. Enjoy your week.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
Hi,

Mainly for the healthy reasons I had about a month of brake from proper training, just few club rides in between. Before that I completed SSB I & II high volume.
Should I just pick up the next step, something from Build Phase and carry on, and lets say re-asses FTP after a week or so, or it would be more sensible to go back to the some point in SSB II and rebuild what was potentially lost. If that is the way to go, what the starting point it should be, how far I should go back?

Many thanks

Given that you completed both SSB I and II before taking time off, you'll be safe to take things back to the beginning of SSB II. Then move forward by progressing through your choice of Build and Specialty phases after that.

When coming back from illness-related breaks from training, our first rule is don't push yourself too soon. Go ahead and reassess your FTP, and in your first 1-2 weeks back don't hesitate to knock the intensity down or pull the plug altogether if a workout is too challenging. You don't want to make this about making up lost time — with a little consistency and perseverance you'll be back on track before you know it! :)

Let us know if there's anything we can help out with.

Happy Training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate, I've been doing trainer road for almost four months now and have picked up about 20 watts on my initial FTP. Awesome program!

So, I'm traveling for about two weeks and plan to rent a bike / trainer but will not have a PM so I'm looking into picking up a cadence counter to use virtual power (already have HRM). Any recommendations with regard to reliability?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Nate, I've been doing trainer road for almost four months now and have picked up about 20 watts on my initial FTP. Awesome program!

So, I'm traveling for about two weeks and plan to rent a bike / trainer but will not have a PM so I'm looking into picking up a cadence counter to use virtual power (already have HRM). Any recommendations with regard to reliability?

P1 pedals would be your best choice, but that's a big dollar investment.

We really like the Road Machine or Jet Fluid Pro for VirtualPower. Make sure you get a speed sensor (or speed/cadence sensor) for VP; just a cadence sensor won't work.

You'll also have to do a test as your first workout to get your zones right with VP. Don't worry though, as Dr. Coggan says "testing is training".

You'll also want to make sure your setup is consistent; same time pressure and tighten down your tire to the trainer at the same rate each time.

If you do those things you should be able to get the same workout as you would with your power meter, you just won't be able to compare the watts.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Dissapointing 20m Test [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR coaches,
Just started trainer road around Christmas, doing the Half Distance Triathlon Low Volume Base plan.
Today was my first repeat 20m test, and I upped my FTP from 189 to 235 which sounds great... except... I switched from virtual power to a Quarq, and previous comparisons have showed that my Quarq reads about 45-50 watts higher than VP with my setup. So accounting for the difference in power measurement, I basically didn't budge my FTP.

Some possible issues:
1) I'm 51 and a recovering from obesity and a previously sedentary lifestyle - started triathlons in 2011 and slowly progressing, losing weight, but not a strong athletic background
2) It's taking me about 9+ days to complete a trainerroad "week" - partly when I need more recovery, partly when I bike commute to work or go mountain biking with friends or do "praise and spin" with my wife in the am (her favorite workout) or do other "off plan" efforts, partly when I work a night shift or otherwise life gets in the way of my workout schedule
3) Perhaps the main point of a base program is not to increase FTP? I went on a 50 mile outdoor ride on my tri bike earlier this week, and was feeling good about my endurance fitness level. Used to be 50 miles would leave me pretty toasted and I'd finish draggy, but this time I was able to keep summoning another effort and another and another. Felt like I finished strong and was expecting a breakthrough FTP test. So this was a bit disappointing.
4) Testing low? I rather doubt it because the difficulty level of recent workouts has felt about right - difficult but not crushing.

Just wondering what to make of this and what I should be thinking as I move on into the build phase.
Last edited by: alathIN: Feb 26, 17 5:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dissapointing 20m Test [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
TR coaches,
Just started trainer road around Christmas, doing the Half Distance Triathlon Low Volume Base plan.
Today was my first repeat 20m test, and I upped my FTP from 189 to 235 which sounds great... except... I switched from virtual power to a Quarq, and previous comparisons have showed that my Quarq reads about 45-50 watts higher than VP with my setup. So accounting for the difference in power measurement, I basically didn't budge my FTP.

Some possible issues:
1) I'm 51 and a recovering from obesity and a previously sedentary lifestyle - started triathlons in 2011 and slowly progressing, losing weight, but not a strong athletic background
2) It's taking me about 9+ days to complete a trainerroad "week" - partly when I need more recovery, partly when I bike commute to work or go mountain biking with friends or do "praise and spin" with my wife in the am (her favorite workout) or do other "off plan" efforts, partly when I work a night shift or otherwise life gets in the way of my workout schedule
3) Perhaps the main point of a base program is not to increase FTP? I went on a 50 mile outdoor ride on my tri bike earlier this week, and was feeling good about my endurance fitness level. Used to be 50 miles would leave me pretty toasted and I'd finish draggy, but this time I was able to keep summoning another effort and another and another. Felt like I finished strong and was expecting a breakthrough FTP test. So this was a bit disappointing.
4) Testing low? I rather doubt it because the difficulty level of recent workouts has felt about right - difficult but not crushing.

Just wondering what to make of this and what I should be thinking as I move on into the build phase.

Welcome — glad to have you training with us!

Head Coach Chad and I discussed your situation and I wanted to relay some of his thoughts. In this case it sounds like your supplementary workouts are pushing you slightly too far. The unrelenting fatigue (even if it's pretty mild) that comes with overdoing your training presents a flat performance — it's not like you're getting slower, but it doesn't seem like you're improving either.

Sweet Spot Base I & II should always reveal modest elevations in FTP in athletes at any level. A base plan like Traditional Base may not show these increases, but Sweet Spot Base takes a different approach to base training. So if that 12 weeks of consistent work, added with a masters' recover strategy didn't yield an uptick in performance capabilities other than finishing your long rides feeling fresher, we have to switch some things up.

To put it simply, try to compartmentalize your training to keep your hard days hard, but your easy days easy. Consistently taking this approach will yield improvements. Move forward into your Build phase with this in mind and keep us posted if things start coming around.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate - I love the software, app, and the podcast! I have a very small nitpick for the latest Mac version. Can you fix the ":" in the timers to make them fixed and not bounce each time the second changes? Like I said, really small but I can't unsee it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck yes! That was fixed on iOS but was missed on mac. Making an issue for the mac team right now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, you guys really are amazing. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate

I'm dropping down to olys and sprints next season (I'm Southern Hemisphere).

I was thinking to starting up the Oly base, build and speciality training plans, which would take me to my first A race( an Oly) My next A race, the sprint nationals, is then 16 weeks away: is my best bet to run to base, build and speciality sprint plans, or double up the speciality plan? Or what would you recommend.

Cheers in advance
Dan

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Hi Nate

I'm dropping down to olys and sprints next season (I'm Southern Hemisphere).

I was thinking to starting up the Oly base, build and speciality training plans, which would take me to my first A race( an Oly) My next A race, the sprint nationals, is then 16 weeks away: is my best bet to run to base, build and speciality sprint plans, or double up the speciality plan? Or what would you recommend.

Cheers in advance
Dan

I would go through base -> Build -> speciality again; hopefully with a higher FTP this time.

Since you don't have a week for recovery I would switch out the first few days or first week of the plan with easier rides...or rest. It depends on how well you can recover after your Oly. What you don't want to do is start a new block already in a deep hole.

Good luck!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers Nate - much appreciated.

I wasn't really worried about the recovery as I'm usually good at bouncing back, but this time I'll be having a longer 'run-up' to the event so will have more residual fatigue. I may re-evaluate closer to the time (mind, if I nail my first A race, I don't need to do my second A and it'll just be for the kudos).

Roll on November!

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate/TR,

I'm a long distance triathlete, and I pulled my calf muscle. I can safely and painlessly do a trainer work, but I can't run, probably for a few weeks or possibly longer.

Do you recommend substituting either sweet spot/threshold/vo2 trainer workout for my scheduled run workout?

Is there a magic formula to covert a prescribed run miles to a trainer mileage?

Appreciate your help in advance.

K.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv88 wrote:
Hey Nate/TR,

I'm a long distance triathlete, and I pulled my calf muscle. I can safely and painlessly do a trainer work, but I can't run, probably for a few weeks or possibly longer.

Do you recommend substituting either sweet spot/threshold/vo2 trainer workout for my scheduled run workout?

Is there a magic formula to covert a prescribed run miles to a trainer mileage?

Appreciate your help in advance.

K.

I don't know of a magic formula for run to trainer mileage; but you could look at it as overall stress.

I'd also think of these next few weeks as an opportunity to really get faster on the bike.

I'd use the TR Training Plans as a guide. If you're doing just three interval workouts a week (like low volume), I'd take a look at mid volume for that same phase.

So if you're in oly build, you might want to check out sustained power build and up the TSS.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks, Nate!

Big fan of TrainerRoad (app & podcast) and I recommend it to all my friends! It's so awesome that we can seek advices from you coaches!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv88 wrote:
Many thanks, Nate!

Big fan of TrainerRoad (app & podcast) and I recommend it to all my friends! It's so awesome that we can seek advices from you coaches!

Thanks man! :)

I'm not actually a "coach" though. I've never taken the test to get certified.

I do understand training with power pretty well though :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Dissapointing 20m Test [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello guys
Im in a bit of a dilemma.
-I am 15.7 weeks out from my half ironman
-Just finished sweet spot base ii (on recovery week right now)
- im at 280ftp and would estimate my new ftp be around 300ftp.
-i want to get my ftp to be at 300w before focusing on HIM plan
-should I go back to sweet spot and spend the next 6 weeks raising my ftp then jump to specialty after?
- should i hit sustain power now then HIM specialty after?
- should I hit build HIM plan now? Would that help raise my FTP?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Dissapointing 20m Test [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Nick, but based on my experience I'd move onto the HIM build plan now.

My FTP is actually down a little bit from last year due to a BIG run block this winter, but I'm about to go way faster during a HIM bike split than I ever have before. And it's because I've gotten so much experience riding at 80-90 % for long periods of time from the HIM build and specialty plan.

You won't necessarily go faster during the race with a higher FTP, but you will go faster in the race if you can actually hold the 85% the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: Dissapointing 20m Test [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:
Hello guys
Im in a bit of a dilemma.
-I am 15.7 weeks out from my half ironman
-Just finished sweet spot base ii (on recovery week right now)
- im at 280ftp and would estimate my new ftp be around 300ftp.
-i want to get my ftp to be at 300w before focusing on HIM plan
-should I go back to sweet spot and spend the next 6 weeks raising my ftp then jump to specialty after?
- should i hit sustain power now then HIM specialty after?
- should I hit build HIM plan now? Would that help raise my FTP?

Thank you!

Your best bet is to stay the course of your Base/Build/Specialty cycle in preparing for the Half Ironman. So, since you've already knocked out the Sweet Spot Base plan, continue into the Build as scheduled. The question of whether to tackle the Half-Distance Tri Build plan or the Sustained Power Build plan will ultimately come down to what aspect of your performance you're trying to focus most on. The Sustained Power Build plan will only focus on your cycling training, while the Half-Distance plan balances the focus with swim and run training.

I'm not sure if you're supplementing your own run and swim instructions currently, but a large reason why we lean towards suggesting the tri plans for triathletes is because of the careful balance in cycling, running, and swimming provided in the plan. If you're including your own run & swim stuff and plan to use the Sustained Power Build, just know you'll need to pay attention to that balance to make sure you're not overdoing it.

It's likely you'll see increases in FTP in both build plans, so the decision ultimately comes down to whether you'd like to seek improvements in just your cycling, or in your run and swim as well. Considering the Sustained Power Build will focus on the bike only, it makes sense you'd see more FTP increases there, but that's not to say there isn't cross-over from improvements in your running and swimming fitness into your cycling as well.

The ball is ultimately in your court, but if you're looking to balance your run and swim with your cycling training, 9/10 times we'll recommend jumping into the triathlon focused plan.

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Quote Reply
Re: Dissapointing 20m Test [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
You won't necessarily go faster during the race with a higher FTP, but you will go faster in the race if you can actually hold the 85% the whole time.

I agree Sean. I would argue that feeling more comfortable sustaining higher percentages of a slightly lower FTP would likely lead to a faster pace then having a brand-spanking new FTP that you don't have as much experience training with.

Appreciate your input!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fella's, can you give me some insights in the differences between the 8' test and the 20' test? SweetSpot Base Mid Volume 1 starts out with the 8 minute test...if we're ultimately going to focus on a 1/2IM distance race, does it make any sense to do the 20' test?

Truth be told, I'd rather do the 8' test, as (at least mentally) I view the 8' one as a bit easier than the 20' one. I suck at the 20' test, and have a history of sucky testing....

Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next