Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that's it as I always calibrate the trainer before each ride using the iOS app and it was within the limits.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic, thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to cracking on. I did an 8ish week block before my first middle distance this year and saw some good gains however I wasn't as rigid with the training as I should have been.

I had another question regarding HR. For whatever reason, my HR is a lot lower on the turbo than it is out on the road. If I go by perceived effort, I can be redlining on the turbo but my HR will be about 15 - 20 beats lower than outdoors. The only time it seems to catch up is at the end of an FTP test, where it seems more line with what I experience out on the road - Do you think this will affect my results?
Last edited by: WoodyES: Sep 6, 17 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've just been trying to start a new Training Plan and was just looking for the old Sweet Spot Base plans; I was keen on sticking with the long weekend rides that they used to have. Are these older plans no longer available? I can't find a link to the old Plan Archive that used to be available anywhere, has this been removed? :(

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alphadogcycling wrote:
Nick and Chad,

Question on using the Traditional Base plans with outside group rides on Saturday & Sunday: I know from the Podcast that Chad says that only the High Volume Traditional Base plan is recommended, but given I will be doing outside group rides (usually 200 - 280 TSS) on Saturday and Sunday, would you recommend using:
  • Low Volume: modified so that the rides are consecutively on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (+ outside on Saturday & Sunday)?
  • Mid-Volume: modified so that Thursday's ride is on Wednesday, Saturday's ride is on Thursday, drop the Sunday ride (+ outside on Saturday & Sunday)?
  • High-Volume: modified to replace the Saturday & Sunday plan rides outside rides

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew,

It really comes down to how much volume/intensity your body can positively adapt to. Then you'll want to stack that up against the usual suspects (schedule, training history, goals, event type).

We'd advise looking back at the level of training stress your used to and compare that to what you'll expect in any of these three approaches. They all seem pretty great, but it's likely one will be more suited for your rate of adaptation, time constraints, etc. :)

If you're going to increase the intensity/volume higher than what you're used to, just keep tabs on how your feeling and be sensible to turning it down a notch if you're feeling smoked.

Happy Training man!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
Hi TR Team -

I'm in the same boat as WoodyES but with an Ironman in early July 2018. I'm just coming off a good year of training and an Ironman, so taking a bit of a break, but basically did low/mid volume Sweet Spot Build (2x), Ironman Build and Speciality plans (low/mid volume) this year. Made a huge difference!

Wondering what you think about my Autumn '17 plan? Should I jump back into a Sweet Spot build or something different? I think my goal should be purely keep strength and build a better FTP this Fall/Winter instead of doing too many "long" endurance type of sessions.

Thanks!

Stoked to hear you had some good results this year—great job staying consistent and crushing through the plans! :)

As for the plan this Autumn, it sounds like you could do a few different things...We always go back to Sweet Spot as a great plan to revisit since it includes such a wide range of focus. But I'm also hesitant to recommend jumping into that as you may be using it in your prep for the July '18 IM.

If your goal is purely to keep the strength and capabilities you've built up this season, I don't see anything wrong with keeping things a bit unstructured and choosing a training plan or a few workouts each week that seem appealing. If you'd rather have a bit more of a guideline to abide by, and you're willing to do a little extra work, I'd say jump into either the General or Sustained Power Build plans.

Since you have a nice level of fitness built up, you'd be able to capitalize on your season's hard work and build a little more strength before winding up for another Base>Build>Specialty cycle leading up to the July '18 IM. We would advise you take a couple weeks to recalibrate before doing so if you go the route of following the Gen. or Sustained Power Build plans.

Hope this gets you on the right track! Have a great season!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Hey Nick,

Something odd going on with my last upload to Strava from TR. Here's my most recent workout:

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6431322-owens

and here's the Strava upload:

Any idea how come the speed gets so magnified when it comes into Strava?

Thanks!

Ronan

Hey Ronan,

We just send the speed data the trainer provides straight to Strava, so I don't think there's anything they do to the data after the fact.

I see you're training on a smart trainer, and knowing that speed readings indoors are pretty unreliable already, they can be even more so when it comes to smart trainers. Gearing ratio can be a biggie since the resistance will automatically adjust despite the gearing you're in. Have a read on an expansion of this discussion if you haven't already: Speed/Distance on an indoor trainer

Just to double check, I compared your ride to some others in the ride feed who have completed Owens on a smart trainer and I'm actually seeing Avg/Max speed in the same neighborhood as your ride. At first, I thought you may have been in a different gearing that threw things off, but the other 'Owens' rides in the feed dispelled that theory... ;)

Feel free to let me know what you think when you get the chance. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick,

Thanks. Good to know there isn't one preferred approach.

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

A quick question. I see the new android app update and have had a thought for some time:
I know you can do a whole workout from your phone and control things there not needing the computer at all.

But what i would like to do, is to load everything up on the PC, which is standing on the floor, and then i want to use my phone together with the computer, basically i just want to be able to adjust the % on the phone, so if an interval is too hard i can adjust from e.g. 100% to 95%, and then exit out of the app again and maybe browse the internet. I know this is possible on another competitor app, but would love to know if it is possible to control that from the phone WITHOUT running the workout from the phone? Im always worried i start it up and the computer and phone fights for the access/control.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TrainerRoad PC and mobile apps don't work together like Zwift and the Zwift Companion app; there's no "fighting for control" you'd essentially just get two instances of TR running separately of each other. I'd certainly love to see that kind of thing somewhere down the line though!

What you can do (and what I occasionally do) is to use a remote desktop app to use your phone as a makeshift input device for your PC. If you want to change the intensity of the workout you just load up the remote desktop app, you'll get a mirror of your desktop screen on your phone's screen, use the touchscreen to hit the up and down arrows to adjust the workout intensity and then when you're done just quit out of the app. It's often a bit laggy, but it gets the job done and is useful if you watch TV shows and want to start a new episode etc.

I use the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app (don't need to have Chrome running on the PC, just installed) but there are similar apps from Microsoft and others.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
The TrainerRoad PC and mobile apps don't work together like Zwift and the Zwift Companion app; there's no "fighting for control" you'd essentially just get two instances of TR running separately of each other. I'd certainly love to see that kind of thing somewhere down the line though!

What you can do (and what I occasionally do) is to use a remote desktop app to use your phone as a makeshift input device for your PC. If you want to change the intensity of the workout you just load up the remote desktop app, you'll get a mirror of your desktop screen on your phone's screen, use the touchscreen to hit the up and down arrows to adjust the workout intensity and then when you're done just quit out of the app. It's often a bit laggy, but it gets the job done and is useful if you watch TV shows and want to start a new episode etc.

I use the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app (don't need to have Chrome running on the PC, just installed) but there are similar apps from Microsoft and others.

Hi Awenborn, thanks for the tip, i will definetely try that out. And i hope trainerroad is seeing this as i think this would be a great addition to be able to use the phone just as a remote!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I am planning to start training with TrainerRoad, I just want to be sure I understand the explanations on the website well enough.

When I want to use my Iphone 5SE, I need to buy an Wahoo ANT+ Key and an Apple Short Lightning Adapter, but can this ANT+ Key connect with my with my Garmin Forerunner 735XT, speed and cadence sensor? I think it is a yes, but just want to be sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Hi Awenborn, thanks for the tip, i will definetely try that out. And i hope trainerroad is seeing this as i think this would be a great addition to be able to use the phone just as a remote!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will certainly pass it along to the rest of the team. :)

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am working with Chuck from Racermate and you guys to get the Velotron to work with TR. TR suggested I give the Velotron a try and send you folks back info on what I found. But, I have to be honest. I went to start a free one month trial, and the default is I have to put in a credit card and will be charged starting after a month, even though it stated I would be warned by email first. This just hit me like how active tries to get one to sign up for their service.

I just wanted to see if I could make it work, and not have to be worried about if I miss the email I will be charged.

Oh well, still hoping you folks can find the time to work with RM to get full support of the velotron.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Tommasi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommasi wrote:
Hi Nick,

I am planning to start training with TrainerRoad, I just want to be sure I understand the explanations on the website well enough.

When I want to use my Iphone 5SE, I need to buy an Wahoo ANT+ Key and an Apple Short Lightning Adapter, but can this ANT+ Key connect with my with my Garmin Forerunner 735XT, speed and cadence sensor? I think it is a yes, but just want to be sure.

Welcome aboard!

Pretty much spot-on, let me clarify on a couple things though. :)

You're right in thinking you'll need the Wahoo ANT+ Key and Apple 30-pin to Lightening Adapter to connect your ANT+ devices to the TrainerRoad application. Except you won't be connecting your Forerunner to TrainerRoad, you'll only be connecting the Speed & Cadence sensors to the TrainerRoad app unless you have a power meter, heart rate monitor, or smart trainer. If you have any of those, you can connect them as well. The ANT+ key and adapter will enable your iPhone 5SE to be able to connect to any compatible ANT+ sensors. Your Forerunner is already ANT+ compatible and can connect to those devices without any additional equipment.

I mentioned that you won't be connecting the Forerunner to TrainerRoad and here's why. Your Forerunner acts as a "head-unit" which you can pair your devices to, like your speed and cadence sensor. When you're training on TrainerRoad, we will act as your head-unit. So you'll connect your speed and cadence sensor to our app instead of the head-unit while you're training.

Let us know if any of that is unclear. And please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@trainerroad.com with any other questions or concerns, we're always happy to help.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Am working with Chuck from Racermate and you guys to get the Velotron to work with TR. TR suggested I give the Velotron a try and send you folks back info on what I found. But, I have to be honest. I went to start a free one month trial, and the default is I have to put in a credit card and will be charged starting after a month, even though it stated I would be warned by email first. This just hit me like how active tries to get one to sign up for their service.

I just wanted to see if I could make it work, and not have to be worried about if I miss the email I will be charged.

Oh well, still hoping you folks can find the time to work with RM to get full support of the velotron.

Dave,

Darden, the support manager you're currently in email communication with just let me know they've extended a promo code offer to you to make sure you won't be charged while you're trying to get the Velotron working with TrainerRoad. To make sure you won't get charged once that month is complete, at any time simply select "Suspend Account" and your account will automatically be suspended at the end of the 30-day period. That way you don't have to worry about it. :) Let us know if you have issues in this process.

To keep everything organized, we'll continue our efforts in the open email conversation you have with Darden. He'll keep you in the loop on what Racermate has for us as well.

Thanks again Dave.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Thanks.

Hope you can use RM's API/DLL's and get full Velotron support.

Dave,

Darden, the support manager you're currently in email communication with just let me know they've extended a promo code offer to you to make sure you won't be charged while you're trying to get the Velotron working with TrainerRoad. To make sure you won't get charged once that month is complete, at any time simply select "Suspend Account" and your account will automatically be suspended at the end of the 30-day period. That way you don't have to worry about it. :) Let us know if you have issues in this process.

To keep everything organized, we'll continue our efforts in the open email conversation you have with Darden. He'll keep you in the loop on what Racermate has for us as well.

Thanks again Dave.

Cheers,

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting week 1 of the HIM Speciality block this week for Miamiman 70.3 on November 12th. I did a 20 min FTP test this morning—4 weeks since my last. I have been doing the HIM build block for those 4 weeks, but would add a 60-90 min Z1/low Z2 ride later in the week and I would do the long weekend workout intervals inside of some serious Z2 miles (for instance, did the 3x16' over/unders during a 100 mile ride two weeks ago). So roughly 4-5 rides/week (2 of which being outdoors).I've been training my ass off (at the expense of my schooling—oh well!) and it's paid off.

I paced this morning's FTP test fairly well and maybe could have eeked out a few more watts at the beginning, but this was unprecedented territory for me. With that said, I went from a 310w FTP to a 334w FTP and 4.31 w/Kg, holding 352w for 20 mins.

Trainerroad guys, I've been with you for a few years now and I have only you guys to thank. Chad, Nick, and the whole crew—you guys are truly making a difference to so many of us.

Now if I could only figure out how to apply TR methods to running and swimming...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Starting week 1 of the HIM Speciality block this week for Miamiman 70.3 on November 12th. I did a 20 min FTP test this morning—4 weeks since my last. I have been doing the HIM build block for those 4 weeks, but would add a 60-90 min Z1/low Z2 ride later in the week and I would do the long weekend workout intervals inside of some serious Z2 miles (for instance, did the 3x16' over/unders during a 100 mile ride two weeks ago). So roughly 4-5 rides/week (2 of which being outdoors).I've been training my ass off (at the expense of my schooling—oh well!) and it's paid off.

I paced this morning's FTP test fairly well and maybe could have eeked out a few more watts at the beginning, but this was unprecedented territory for me. With that said, I went from a 310w FTP to a 334w FTP and 4.31 w/Kg, holding 352w for 20 mins.

Trainerroad guys, I've been with you for a few years now and I have only you guys to thank. Chad, Nick, and the whole crew—you guys are truly making a difference to so many of us.

Now if I could only figure out how to apply TR methods to running and swimming...

BOOM! That's what we're talkin about!!!!

Really awesome work, it couldn't have been done without your hard work and dedication. Kudos! :)

Thanks for your continued support with us at TrainerRoad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am new to Trainerroad and I am planning my season. My A-Race (Half Distance Triathlon) is in July. So I planned back, so my Base training would start at the end of January. I wanted to do the Sweet Spot Base before that, starting at the beginning in November. Does that make sense? I´ve got the following problem, I wanted to start my training in October 2nd, because I had my last race in August and my training was unstructured for two months, so I wanted to start again. What would recommend doing in that month? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im experience some issues with my ant+ connection. I use a kickr and control it via my power2max. Im using the trainerroad app on my Samsung Galaxy 5. During my two last sessions the ant+ connection has been lost after 70minutes and Ive been unable to complete the session because the power2max doesnt reconnect. My ant+ heartrate is also lost.
Bluetooth seems to work as I can see the kickr but i need ant+ because my power2max and heartrate is only ant+.
Is there maybe a setting disconnecting the ant+ after a specific time in the Phone somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi, i am currently using a set of powertap p1 pedals

when i search for devices, i see 2 devices for my P1

1 of them seems to be connected via bluetooth and the other is connected via ANT

the one with bluetooth can be calibrated but when i try to calibrate the device connected via ANT it says calibration failed

how do i activate the ant connection instead of the bluetooth one as i would like to measure power from both legs instead of simply doubling the power output from the left leg (which is what happens when a bluetooth connection is used)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
cloy wrote:

BOOM! That's what we're talkin about!!!!

Really awesome work, it couldn't have been done without your hard work and dedication. Kudos! :)

Thanks for your continued support with us at TrainerRoad.

To piggyback on my post—I have some concern about volume for the upcoming peak.

The last four weeks I have spent an average of 9 hours on the bike—2 weekday session on the trainer w/ TR and 2 outdoor rides (90 mins and then a sunday long ride doing the TR workout but in the context of 80+ miles/4 hour sessions). That is a tad bit more than what the half-iron build was calling for, but I felt good and had the time, so I figured what the heck, why not?

Well, going into the specialized phase, the half-iron mid-volume plan only has me on the bike for about 5 hours... For instance, instead of a 4-5 hour ride this morning, I just did Piute... (70 minutes/12 minute progressive steps) With the adjusted FTP, it definitely was a workout, but wasn't nearly the same workout as what I was doing with a 4 hour ride. Will the massive decrease in volume hurt me—specifically the lack of the status quo of my 4-5 hour long ride outside? Should I continue with the long outdoor rides at this point in my training (8 weeks left to the event) or should I follow TR's plan exactly? Will the mid-volume be enough for me to maximize my potential? I'm worried that I'm not capitalizing on the base I've set up and will end up with a lackluster result in November.

ETA:

However, on the contrary: I have an increased FTP and realized that I may burn myself out. How much benefit will the longer Z2 rides be 8 weeks out? Or should I focus on nailing each prescribed session as written?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Sep 17, 17 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will add my 2c, finally caved in and gave TrainerRoad a go.

For my indoor setup, noise is critical as I'm in an apartment.

I bought a cheap spinning bike, put power meter pedals on it, added an ANT+ stick and signed up.

Must say it's excellent: clean interface, very clear how everything works, and the workouts are well put together.

Never expected it, big thumbs up.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
I am new to Trainerroad and I am planning my season. My A-Race (Half Distance Triathlon) is in July. So I planned back, so my Base training would start at the end of January. I wanted to do the Sweet Spot Base before that, starting at the beginning in November. Does that make sense? I´ve got the following problem, I wanted to start my training in October 2nd, because I had my last race in August and my training was unstructured for two months, so I wanted to start again. What would recommend doing in that month? Thank you.

Welcome aboard! Stoked to have you training with us. :)

It sounds like you're in a good position to extend Sweet Spot Base to fill in the month gap you have in your training schedule. If you were coming directly off of a period of hard training/racing, we'd lean more towards some low-intensity aerobic work (something like our Traditional Base plans), but it sounds like you're A-OK to jump right into SSB considering the time off you've had.

How you modify the plan can be up to you. But our recommendation would be to just starting with SSB in October and extend it by repeating part II once you complete the full block. You'll be hitting these workouts at a higher FTP and thus will still be getting training stimulus to maintain a positive progression before diving into the Half-Distance training plans.

Hope this gets you on the right track! Please don't hesitate to loop us in if you run into any questions or concerns. You can reach us at support@trainerroad.com if you hit any snags as well.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pad wrote:
Im experience some issues with my ant+ connection. I use a kickr and control it via my power2max. Im using the trainerroad app on my Samsung Galaxy 5. During my two last sessions the ant+ connection has been lost after 70minutes and Ive been unable to complete the session because the power2max doesnt reconnect. My ant+ heartrate is also lost.
Bluetooth seems to work as I can see the kickr but i need ant+ because my power2max and heartrate is only ant+.
Is there maybe a setting disconnecting the ant+ after a specific time in the Phone somewhere?

Hm, something definitely sounds fishy here ... sorry for any frustration in the process. :/

There isn't any setting on our end that would cause that, and I don't think you'd have anything like the on the device that would do that either. It could be something interfering though — users will run into that every so often as other wireless devices can interfere. Could even be batteries, but it's unlikely both the HRM and PM batteries would die simultaneously.

Can you shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com when you have a second? We'll have a better idea of what's going on by taking a look at your profile and some of the workouts where you've experienced this.

Send that email in when you get the chance, and we'll get your issue resolved as soon as possible.

Cheers — talk to you soon!

Quote Reply

Prev Next