Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [thebaldeagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebaldeagle wrote:
Hi Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a recommended resistance i should put my tacx blue matic turbo at for taking the ftp test. Using virtual power. Hope to have a PM soon. I took the 8 minute FTP last week in resistance level 2 but i ended up spinning out in the top gear and average power was quite low. Cheers.

Howdy,

No worries, happy to help!

Since you're using VirtualPower, for any change you make to the resistance setting on the resistance lever you'll need to make in the VirtualPower selection within the TrainerRoad app as well.

I believe there are 10 settings, but I'm not familiar enough with the trainer to provide a recommended resistance setting. I suggest playing around in a Free Ride workout to see which resistance selection you'll feel most comfortable with for the FTP assessment.

Hope this helps! Shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com if you're still running into any issues.

Cheers

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Buggeracup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buggeracup wrote:
Hi Traineroad,

I am a relatively new participant to the Traineroad program having only worked my way through the Sweet Spot Base program but I've enjoyed the program so far. I've decided to sign up for the Dubai 70.3 early next year and at this stage I have 17 weeks until race day.

Although I've done several HIMs in the past, I'm certainly not what I would consider even remotely fit at the moment and my training over the last few months has been fairly unstructured and inconsistent. That being said, I'm confident that my experience will get me through the race and I've accepted the fact that I won't be lowering my PB in this event most likely.

So, based on my current poor fitness level, what would be your recommendation on how to structure my training time leading up to the race? I was thinking of just undertaking the HIM Low-Volume Base Program followed by the Low/Mid Volume HIM Build Program. Or is there any benefit in incorporating any part of the Speciality HIM Program in your opinion?

Thanks for your input and feedback.

Thanks for posting, and welcome aboard!

Great choice starting your training with the Sweet Spot Base plans. We're keen on suggesting these plans to athletes looking for more of a varied blend of interval work, rather than the traditional low-intensity miles traditionally associated with "Base" training. This form of training is also known to bring about more noticeable improvements in performance capabilities quicker than compared to the low-intensity approach. So good stuff! :)

That said, with roughly 17 weeks leading up to you event, our suggestion would be to go forward with the HIM Build training plan. Once you complete that, the HIM Specialty training plan would be a perfect approach to tailor your training more specifically to the demands of triathlon. Specialty training gives riders an opportunity to fine-tune their training to the discipline they'll be racing in. So your workouts will be more specific to the types of efforts you'll find in a HIM. The basic logic behind this training cycling is to establish the fundamental forms of fitness during base training, build upon that base in a slightly more specific manner depending on what your goals are during build training, then refine these abilities to be as specific to an athlete's rider-type as possible during Specialty training. Additionally, built into Specialty phase training plans are tapering strateges that is aimed to leave you as fresh as possible for your event.

For your schedule, you may need to extend the Specialty phase of training by 1 week to hit that 17 week mark, which you can do by simply repeating that last week of training (Week 8) leading up to the event.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction! Have an awesome race!

Cheers

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
A couple of questions re the Workout Creator.
1). I am wondering how to set a workout to automatically come out of erg mode. The 20 minute FTP test does that and so does Rubber Glove but I cannot see a setting to do that.
2) What part defines whether the details of the interval show at the end, power , target, HR etc. . Some intervals don't have it but I and not sure what drives it.

Just tried the wc in Zwift and that has a free ride segment to drop in, so I assume TR WC must have as well

We have plans to revamp the workout creator since it's a little outdated and we want to move towards something web-based. No ETA just yet, but thought I'd mention it...

1) Some users have success by using the 20- or 8-minute FTP test as a workout shell and then manipulate the intervals to fit the workout they envision. You'll just create a workout out of the existing 8- or 20-minute test within the workout creator. The reason we don't recommend users do this is because we've had reports of the mode change to not work all the time. You're welcome to try, but I just wanted to include that disclaimer.

2) The interval summary doesn’t show up for rest intervals, only for "work" intervals. The default rest level threshold is 50% FTP, so anything below 50% FTP isn’t considered a "work" interval, but that can be changed for a custom workout. You'll change it using the "Rest Level" field in the right-hand corner of the are where your custom workout is shown.

Let us know if that gets those interval summaries working properly for you. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
A couple of questions re the Workout Creator.

1). I am wondering how to set a workout to automatically come out of erg mode. The 20 minute FTP test does that and so does Rubber Glove but I cannot see a setting to do that.
2) What part defines whether the details of the interval show at the end, power , target, HR etc. . Some intervals don't have it but I and not sure what drives it.

Can't answer your first question but for the second, I believe the "Rest Level" is what determines this (intervals below the rest level are treated differently).

On the topic of the Workout Creator, I have some suggestions for improvement.

• Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to move/rearrange intervals in the workout? This seems like such a basic function that I keep wondering if I'm just overlooking it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this...
  • Another missing feature, there doesn't seem to be any way to discard changes to a custom workout and revert back to the previously published version.
  • I can't find any way to add instructions to a workout such as the built in instructions in many of the TR-published workouts.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to buy a new computer. Looking at a laptop or Surface Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations on a laptop that works well with trainerroad? I do have a dongle (insert Peter Griffin laugh here) but prefer blue tooth. It just seems to work better. How about the Surface Pro? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm heading into week 5 of the Half Iron Mid Volume Plan and I am feeling GREAT. Neverthless, when I'm doing these longer bricks at RPE 6 (60 min run off the bike for instance), how does this correlate to my anticipated 13.1 goal race pace? Say, if my goal pace is 6:45/mile off the bike, what should I run these bricks at? I've been doing my runs pretty close to that, but I don't want to run the race in training and be flat on race day.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
I have to buy a new computer. Looking at a laptop or Surface Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations on a laptop that works well with trainerroad? I do have a dongle (insert Peter Griffin laugh here) but prefer blue tooth. It just seems to work better. How about the Surface Pro? Thanks in advance!

I run TrainerRoad absolutely fine on a Surface 3 (non-pro version) so you should have no issues at all running it on any Surface Pro.

In your case, the only issue is that frustratingly, the Windows version of TrainerRoad does not support native Bluetooth chips at all. If you want to run TR on a Windows laptop, you'll have to use an ANT+ dongle, or the one compatible Bluetooth dongle that they do support.

I'd love to ditch my ANT+ dongle and I asked about support of native BT chips on this thread around this time last year and again at the start of this year, but it seems like it's at the bottom of their development list. Just checked again...

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my second off season using TrainerRoad, but this year I plan on using it for training for my "A" race (IM Wisconsin). The race is about 48 weeks out and I am ready to get to work. My current plan is to do Tradition Base Mid volume, then sustained power build mid volume followed by the full distance tri base, build, specialty plans. I do plan on mixing in a few races in the summer of 2018.

Does this make sense or shall I start with something else? I have been listening to the podcasts and there have been several questions about Ironman training this far out and this tended to be the answer, but would like some confirmation or additional insight. Thank you for your insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:

awenborn wrote:
I run TrainerRoad absolutely fine on a Surface 3 (non-pro version) so you should have no issues at all running it on any Surface Pro.

In your case, the only issue is that frustratingly, the Windows version of TrainerRoad does not support native Bluetooth chips at all. If you want to run TR on a Windows laptop, you'll have to use an ANT+ dongle, or the one compatible Bluetooth dongle that they do support.

I'd love to ditch my ANT+ dongle and I asked about support of native BT chips on this thread around this time last year and again at the start of this year, but it seems like it's at the bottom of their development list. Just checked again...

Alaska848: The surface Pro will work like a charm, but like awenborn mentioned, you'll need a Bluetooth dongle and an ANT+ dongle to connect to ANT+ and BT devices.

Awenborn: We'd love to ditch the BT donlges too.. :( We're not sure when exactly we'll be able to support it, but it's definitely still on our list.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Hughes34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hughes34 wrote:
This will be my second off season using TrainerRoad, but this year I plan on using it for training for my "A" race (IM Wisconsin). The race is about 48 weeks out and I am ready to get to work. My current plan is to do Tradition Base Mid volume, then sustained power build mid volume followed by the full distance tri base, build, specialty plans. I do plan on mixing in a few races in the summer of 2018.

Does this make sense or shall I start with something else? I have been listening to the podcasts and there have been several questions about Ironman training this far out and this tended to be the answer, but would like some confirmation or additional insight. Thank you for your insight.

Howdy,

Good on you for getting geared up for your A-race already!

Your training plan approach sounds like a really nice progression into the season as well. Using the Traditional Base plan in conjunction with the Sustained Power Build will foster an extremely strong aerobic base and high forms of muscular endurance that you'll take with you and capitalize on in the full Base, Build, Specialty cycle of the full-distance Tri plans that follows. :)

Not sure if I'd do anything different here—nice work!

Have an awesome 2018, keep us looped in if you need anything and on how it goes.

Cheers

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I am new to TR and I love it so far. I am thinking of doing the Half Ironman Program for my A race next season. I was wondering why the mid volume plan is so much less in duration than the high volume?

Thanks
Dom
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Domiku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Domiku wrote:
Hi there,

I am new to TR and I love it so far. I am thinking of doing the Half Ironman Program for my A race next season. I was wondering why the mid volume plan is so much less in duration than the high volume?

Thanks
Dom

Hey Dom,

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you training with us.

Good plan choice. I assume you're referring to the high-volume plan containing a few longer duration workouts versus what you'll find in the mid-volume plan. The mid-volume plans assume you're on a more restrictive time schedule, so the workouts' durations are reduced while still maintaining (and in some cases increasing) intensity/time at intensity. That is the beauty of high-intensity interval training—you can do a whole lot on very little time. It's not like you have to train for X minutes to be able to ride for X minutes. Consistently training with this kind of structure will make sure you have all the fitness you'll need to complete your triathlon's distances.

That isn't to say we don't find value in riding some longer distances in the training process, of course. :) We recommend using those longer rides as an opportunity to dial in nutrition/hydration/pacing/positioning etc.

Feel free to let us know if you have anymore questions. Happy Training!

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I searched, but could not find an answer for this. Is there a way to load a course to use for TR Erg mode.

1) If so, what are the steps
2) Where could I get the IMAZ course to do this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick,
Just wrapped up my tri season after using TR since January. FTP went from 190-219, though most of that gain occurred during SS1 and SS2. Maintained FTP doing Half Iron low volume Build and Specialties. Rode my 70.3 at 180NP for 3 hours.
After taking nearly a month off, I'm looking to get back in the saddle and ramp up again. Should I jump right back into SS1 and SS2 and repeat those a few times or would you recommed a different course of action. My schedule for 2018 is still coming together but I'm definitely doing a 70.3 in September, 2018- though maybe another one in the late spring. I'll also throw in 2-3 sprint/olympic races.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I searched, but could not find an answer for this. Is there a way to load a course to use for TR Erg mode.

1) If so, what are the steps
2) Where could I get the IMAZ course to do this?

Thanks!

Hi,

You can indeed load a course (or any outdoor ride) into TR to create a workout that you can use Erg mode in. There are a few steps you need to take first, though. :)

First, you're going to need to get a .gpx file of the course you'd like to create a workout out of. You can get this a few different ways. Sometimes you can find the file in forums or from someone whose ridden the course, record the course yourself by riding the course using a gps head-unit, of lastly by using a service like Map My Ride (Follow this to their site). Once you have the .gpx file of the course, you're going to need to use the service BestBikeSplit (Their site) to obtain the file that creates your workout.

Ryan from BestBikeSplit has also been nice enough to create a video that walks you through the process of obtaining the necessary file to create your TrainerRoad workout. You can find the video here: Importing a workout from BestBikeSplit.

Hope this helps out! Please shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com if you run into any issues in this process—we'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sethjk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sethjk wrote:
Hey Nick,
Just wrapped up my tri season after using TR since January. FTP went from 190-219, though most of that gain occurred during SS1 and SS2. Maintained FTP doing Half Iron low volume Build and Specialties. Rode my 70.3 at 180NP for 3 hours.
After taking nearly a month off, I'm looking to get back in the saddle and ramp up again. Should I jump right back into SS1 and SS2 and repeat those a few times or would you recommed a different course of action. My schedule for 2018 is still coming together but I'm definitely doing a 70.3 in September, 2018- though maybe another one in the late spring. I'll also throw in 2-3 sprint/olympic races.

Thanks!

Howdy,

Excellent progress this season! Great numbers too.

Using Sweet Spot Base I & II before progressing through the Half-Distance Build and Specialty plans would be our plan recommendation in your 2018 season as well. Just out of curiosity, did you retest your FTP as you moved into your Build and Specialty phases? I ask because we usually expect to see some increases in FTP in the Base phase of training, and a bit more of an increase during the Build phase. Then the Specialty phase is an opportunity to refine those abilities to be increasingly specific to triathlon.

When it comes to planning out the season, it sounds like your high-priority event will be the 70.3 in Sept. Since you'll have more than the typical 28 weeks to train, you can take advantage of the extra time by visiting either the Traditional Base plans or Half-Distance Base training plans after completing SSB I & II. Spending some extra time in either of these base plans provides even more of an opportunity to thoroughly establish a robust aerobic base, which can support an even higher fitness peak as you progress through the season.

You have another possible course of action if you are going to target a Half in late spring too. If you'd like to think of both of these events as "high-priority", you can move through the SSB I & II > Half-Distance Build > Half-Distance Specialty as you close in on the race in late spring. Then after you complete that event, you'll be able to revisit Build and Specialty phases to prepare you for the event in Sept. This is known as a "re-build" approach. In both cases, you'll be able to weave in your spring/oly races into your training plan by replacing your workouts with the races. You can adjust your workouts before/after as necessary if the race ends up loading a lot of stress on you.

If you'd rather go with the re-build approach, check out the following article if you're still unsure how to structure the season: How to Adjust Your Training with More Than One Goal Event

Hope this gets you on the right track! Feel free to let us know if you run into more questions. Also, don't hesitate to give the support team a shout if you run into any tech concerns.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Thanks Nick!

Very welcome Mike!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:

Using Sweet Spot Base I & II before progressing through the Half-Distance Build and Specialty plans would be our plan recommendation in your 2018 season as well. Just out of curiosity, did you retest your FTP as you moved into your Build and Specialty phases? I ask because we usually expect to see some increases in FTP in the Base phase of training, and a bit more of an increase during the Build phase. Then the Specialty phase is an opportunity to refine those abilities to be increasingly specific to triathlon.

Thanks Nick. I did re-test as scheduled. Last year went as follows:
1/9/17- 20 Minute test- 207 Average
2/7/17- 8 minute test- FTP to 204 (Start of SSB-1)
3/21/17- 8 minute test- FTP to 218 (start of SSB-2)
5/9/17- 20 Minute test- FTP to 219 (Start of Half Build plan)
8/3/17- 20 Minute Test- FTP stayed at 219 (start of Half Specialty Plan).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, just to be sure, here's what I've got:
- 10/23: 1/2 Build LV, W1
- 10/30: 1/2 Build LV, W2
- 11/6: 1/2 Build LV, W3
- 11/13: 1/2 Build LV, W4
- 11/20: OFF for Traveling
- 11/27: 1/2 Specialty LV, W3
- 12/4: 1/2 Specialty LV, W4
- 12/11: 1/2 Specialty LV, W5
- 12/18: 1/2 Specialty LV, W6
- 12/25: 1/2 Specialty LV, W7
- 1/1: 1/2 Specialty LV, W8
- 1/7 = RACE DAY!!!

Look good to you? MANY MANY thanks for your assistance.

Nick Kanwetz wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:
Fellas, I have two scheduling questions for you...

1) I have an Oly race on Sunday, Oct 15 (two weeks from today). I am SCHEDULED to start Week 4 of the 40kTT specialty phase on Tuesday. Should I skip to week 7 (except Dardenelles +1) then Week 8 for Race Week? (Target race time for the bike (it's a 37k distance) is 58m - 59m.)

2) Once that has passed, I will be focusing on the HITS 1/2IM distance race on Saturday Jan 6. I'm not sure what plan I should start...prior to THIS Olympic Race, I did the Oly Tri Mid Volume, then 40kTT Low Volume (see above). By my count, I'd have TEN weeks from the end of the Oly above to the race. I'll have one week (Thanksgiving Week) completely away from the bike, so that gives me NINE weeks to work hard. I'll be attempting to ride ~2h15m or so, as a frame of reference.

THANK YOU.

1) Scheduling Weeks 7 & 8 now to taper your training for the Oly sounds like a great approach. :)

2) Since you're coming out of a Build and Specialty cycle of training, we'd recommend taking a week or two off the bike before jumping back into training. So by that count, it's more like 7-8 weeks that you'll have to dedicate to preparing for the Half-Distance in January.

A fair approach for the event would be to "re-build" by doing 2-4 weeks in the Half-Distance Build plan, and then partially revisit the Half-Distance Specialty plan leading up to the event. Just make sure to schedule Weeks 7 & 8 into your training to properly taper for your event.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick.

I am looking forward to getting faster!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of any TrainerRoad Promo Codes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick, Chad, Jonathan! I have a recurring issue with Sweet Spot base. The past few seasons I've tested and then followed Part 1 and Part 2 (Sweet Spot Low Vol) and this is the sequence of events that seem to happen to me:

1) I feel good throughout Part 1 and into Part 2
2) I feel like I'm getting stronger until I reach the last few weeks and virtually kill myself trying to keep power on Leconte
3) A week later, I murder my legs trying to hold power on Mary Austin
4) I take the final recovery week and all 3 workouts feel like torture (even though they have a low IF)
5) I test and completely bomb

Needless to say my FTP has plateaued the past several seasons. I'm wondering what is going on. There are no other obvious issues: I'm doing my normal base-building runs and regular Masters swims, haven't been sick, get 7-9 hours of sleep a night, diet is pretty much on point.

Do I need to add in an extra recovery week btw Leconte and Mary Austin, and TWO recovery weeks before I test? Should I skip those two workouts?

I had planned on going into the Sufferfest Build but not sure if I have some hidden fatigue in my legs. Maybe skip Sufferfest, do a recovery week and go into Sustained Build plan? My next race isn't until February...

Thanks as always, guys!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:
Does anyone know of any TrainerRoad Promo Codes?

shoot me your email, and I'll send you one (it will give you 1 month free on a new account)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Nick, just to be sure, here's what I've got:
- 11/27: 1/2 Specialty LV, W3
- 12/4: 1/2 Specialty LV, W4
- 12/11: 1/2 Specialty LV, W5
- 12/18: 1/2 Specialty LV, W6
- 1/7 = RACE DAY!!!

Look good to you? MANY MANY thanks for your assistance.

That looks pretty freaking great! :)

One thing we would recommend changing is the progression of the Specialty phase of training. Coming off of that week traveling, it's likely you'll be better off transitioning into the Specialty plan starting with the first week. It's actually what we'd recommend in pretty much all cases, travel or not. So it'd look something like this:

- 11/27: 1/2 Specialty LV, W1
- 12/4: 1/2 Specialty LV, W2
- 12/11: 1/2 Specialty LV, W3
- 12/18: 1/2 Specialty LV, W4
- 1/7 = RACE DAY!!!

Have a killer remainder of the season! Let us know if you run into other questions.

Cheers

Quote Reply

Prev Next