Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
Thanks Nick for the quick reply!

Yes, I can confirm that I performed the advanced spindown with the iOS Fitness app.

I will try your recommendations tonight, a few questions though - if I connect over bluetooth to the "Kickr Snap" profile only, does that mean I lose the benefits of the FE-C controllable trainer (ERG mode, etc.)? Additionally, it looks like even with bluetooth switched off in the TR app, that the Kickr Snap profile/sensor is still being picked up and able to be paired? Which seems at odds with your statement that it's the bluetooth profile.

Thank you again!

Most welcome!

And thanks for confirming that. Sometimes there's some confusion around whether that's been performed in the appropriate place. :)

The Snap is electronically controllable over either connection protocol—ANT+ FE-C or Bluetooth. If you're on a Mac and turn Bluetooth off after we've discovered a Bluetooth sensor you can pair to, we'll still show it in your device list but you shouldn't be able to pair to it. It would just keep trying to pair which may have given the appearance that it was successfully pairing. On the Mac/Windows app, you'll be able to distinguish how your sensors are paired by a small ANT+ or Bluetooth symbol next to the device. On iOS it isn't as clear, but if it's an ANT+ device/trainer the "ANT ID" will be labeled directly under the name of the device.

I've filled your support agent in on our conversation so far, so we'll keep track of things over there. Looking forward to hear how your next ride goes!

Talk to you soon,

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
Hi Nick, any news regarding the training camps that were mentioned earlier in this thread?

We don't have any ETAs just yet but the team is plugging away to get them out as soon as possible—It's a pretty hefty design/development task. :) We'll be sure to make a big fuss about it via social channels, website, podcast, etc. Thanks for your patience!

Happy Training,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you can upload your TrainerRoad workouts from TR to Strava, but can you do the opposite? I'd like to have a single place that gives me TSS for each week. I usually do 3-4 days on the indoor trainer and 1 long ride outdoors. Any way to account for this? I do not use a power meter outdoors, but I'd just like a rough calculation based on distance, bodyweight, climbing, speed etc. Can I get TR to account for that?

Second question: I use a Computrainer in ERG mode for TrainerRoad. When I upload my workouts to Strava it says I covered a certain distance for that ride, which varies based on what gear I rode in. (I.E.: If I use a high gear the speed & distance is shown as being higher)
Is there a way to get TR to account for this? Meaning it recognizes I'm in ERG mode so the speed/distance metrics should be averaged or something. For example it says I'm 190 lbs and averaged 225 watts for 1 hour, that's roughly 22mph and you rode 22 miles in 60 minutes

AMAZING product btw. I've used it since the earliest days and just love it. Great podcast too!
Thanks,
CBR
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I know you can upload your TrainerRoad workouts from TR to Strava, but can you do the opposite? I'd like to have a single place that gives me TSS for each week. I usually do 3-4 days on the indoor trainer and 1 long ride outdoors. Any way to account for this? I do not use a power meter outdoors, but I'd just like a rough calculation based on distance, bodyweight, climbing, speed etc. Can I get TR to account for that?

Second question: I use a Computrainer in ERG mode for TrainerRoad. When I upload my workouts to Strava it says I covered a certain distance for that ride, which varies based on what gear I rode in. (I.E.: If I use a high gear the speed & distance is shown as being higher)
Is there a way to get TR to account for this? Meaning it recognizes I'm in ERG mode so the speed/distance metrics should be averaged or something. For example it says I'm 190 lbs and averaged 225 watts for 1 hour, that's roughly 22mph and you rode 22 miles in 60 minutes

AMAZING product btw. I've used it since the earliest days and just love it. Great podcast too!
Thanks,
CBR

1) The bad news is we can't do this, yet. The good news is the 'yet' part. :) We're actually working on the ability to bring outdoor ride data into TR as we speak. We'll have more details as we get closer into the outdoor season (N. Hem), but don't have any definitive ETAs on when we'll roll this out.

2) Currently we don't have a way to account for these wonky speeds (and subsequently distance) you'll see on electronically controlled indoor trainers. That said, we are aware of the demand for it and are thinking a physics model similar to what you explain will be the best solution.

Thanks for the kind words and support through the years! We're happy to have you on board. We'll keep everyone up-to-speed with developments on both of your questions via our social channels, podcast, and website.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys - just wondering where illness comes into the mix.

I went through SS base 1 & 2 and the last I tested was mid December.

I was about to start sustained power build but I have had various off bike related illnesses, cough, cold, wisdom tooth infection and Christmas holidays.

I have barely managed one TR session a week. Accidentally did English - with 127 % ramps and surprisingly got to the end.

So question. It's 28 weeks to my A race. Ironman Maastricht. and I am middle/back of the pack.

Where to go now? I don't think I have lost that much, or do I need to start again? Or how far to rewind

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else. On my iPad, I had SS base II low volume going...software was not "assigning" rides to the plan.

Just did Mary Austin, today. Saved it. Felt relieved and proud....it was "assigned" to my plan...

Other rides were not being assigned. Closed/deleted the plan...and alas, Mary Austin is now gone from my ride history. All other rides still in history. Mary Austin gone from existence.

WHAT HAPPENED? And why Mary Austin? I was relieved to get that one done :)

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do i access the comprehensive training plans

I only see base, build, and speciality as options and the triathlon plans only list biking workouts

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else. On my iPad, I had SS base II low volume going...software was not "assigning" rides to the plan.

Just did Mary Austin, today. Saved it. Felt relieved and proud....it was "assigned" to my plan...

Other rides were not being assigned. Closed/deleted the plan...and alas, Mary Austin is now gone from my ride history. All other rides still in history. Mary Austin gone from existence.

WHAT HAPPENED? And why Mary Austin? I was relieved to get that one done :)

We've seen this a few times actually! There have been instances where a hidden plan is created in your online career that the workout gets assigned to. It's something we're looking into, but for the time-being can be fixed by opening your plan history from your career page and stopping your current plan. The plan will then be split and displayed as two inactive plans. Go ahead and delete one of them and assign over any workouts that need assigning.

We wouldn't you to miss out on your cred for Mary Austin. Or any workouts for that matter! ;)

Let us know at support@trainerroad.com if you have any issues getting this done. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:
Guys - just wondering where illness comes into the mix.

I went through SS base 1 & 2 and the last I tested was mid December.

I was about to start sustained power build but I have had various off bike related illnesses, cough, cold, wisdom tooth infection and Christmas holidays.

I have barely managed one TR session a week. Accidentally did English - with 127 % ramps and surprisingly got to the end.

So question. It's 28 weeks to my A race. Ironman Maastricht. and I am middle/back of the pack.

Where to go now? I don't think I have lost that much, or do I need to start again? Or how far to rewind

Thanks

When it comes to illness, you'll always want to err on the side of caution and keep from pushing yourself too hard.

Since you have the time, let's take it back to square one. Start back at SSB I and take it through the entire 28 week Base, Build, and Specialty cycle until IM Maastricht. Otherwise you would find yourself with 12 weeks at the end that in this case could be better used revisiting Sweet Spot training, rather than a partial repeat of your Build & Specialty plans. Although your fitness is likely higher than it was when you got started, jumping directly into a Build plan may lead to building your fitness on 'shaky ground'. This may or may not be the case, but the type of work you'll revisit in Sweet Spot Base is beneficial in nearly all scenarios. Also, since you're still shaking off some lingering fatigue from your illness, you'll have time to focus on consolidating your fitness and setting the stage for further increases to be achieved throughout your Build plan.

Let us know if you run into any other questions. Happy Training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I saw this morning that you change the sweet spot base plans.
Cool, no more long endurance on sunday.
I'm currently in week 4 of SSB high volume I, so I finish the plan like that and do the new formula for the part II ?
Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [charlot12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlot12 wrote:
Hi Nick,

I saw this morning that you change the sweet spot base plans.
Cool, no more long endurance on sunday.
I'm currently in week 4 of SSB high volume I, so I finish the plan like that and do the new formula for the part II ?
Thanks a lot

Hi,

We sure did! Our logic there was that most of the intended aerobic adaptations you're after in those long, slow endurance Saturday workouts can be achieved with a little increase in intensity and less time. Of course the option to still do those workouts will be included in the 'Weekly Tips', but we found this to be a more time effective approach to getting the essential training benefits. It should be noted that there are certain disciplines that won't be seeing these changes as certain disciplines necessitate the longer, slow approach to familiarize themselves with being on the bike for extended periods of time (and particular aerobic benefits). Anyway, we're just doing some thorough, final testing now that these are in production before letting the world know. ;)

Go ahead and move forward through your current plan and when you begin SSB II you'll pick up with these changes. You're also welcome to stop your plan now, and start again with the new changes. You'll just pick up at week 4. Either approach will work!

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick, Chad, and all! I have been using the Sprint and Olympic plans the past several years. Six weeks ago I got sick and ended up taking a full 2 weeks off all training. I returned to training slowly but had to drop my FTP by 9 watts. Now I can hit the tempo & sweet spot intervals just fine, but the VO2 max intervals are kicking my ass (I can only hold 2 min of a 3 min interval tops). Yet, my sub-threshold intervals don't feel entirely challenging. Not sure what's going on here. Used to be that VO2 intervals were manageable but the sweet spot stuff was the killer. Do you have any suggestions on how to reign in my VO2 workouts without dropping the intensity? Or should I bail on VO2 workouts and raise my FTP to match the effort level of the sub-threshold workouts? Thanks! (first race is in 7 weeks btw)

Bonus question: 2-3 weeks of illness usually requires 6-8 months of training to regain the pre-illness FTP (usually drops 10-15 watts in my experience). Does that sound about right?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick, I have a question regarding my power and heart rate zones. I did "Phoenix" today, which is almost 80 Minutes in power zone 3. But my heart rate was in the middle of zone 2. My last FTP-testing was 9 weeks ago. Right now, I am in week 5 of the long distance middle volume plan. I skipped the FTP-test in week 1 of the plan due to illness. Should I lift my ftp without testing? If yes, how many percent?
Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellas, I am 110% certain this has been asked, but not certain where to find the answer.

Just completed Sweet Spot 1,low volume. I would like to bump up to mid volume. Should I go to mid, V1 or V2?

Also, if I stuck with low volume 2, I could just add a ride like Taku (or another easy 30-60 ride) for a similar training effect, right?

EDIT: If I know my FTP hasn't decreased - or increased - what is a good substitute workout for the TT?

Thanks.
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Jan 31, 17 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Hey Nick, Chad, and all! I have been using the Sprint and Olympic plans the past several years. Six weeks ago I got sick and ended up taking a full 2 weeks off all training. I returned to training slowly but had to drop my FTP by 9 watts. Now I can hit the tempo & sweet spot intervals just fine, but the VO2 max intervals are kicking my ass (I can only hold 2 min of a 3 min interval tops). Yet, my sub-threshold intervals don't feel entirely challenging. Not sure what's going on here. Used to be that VO2 intervals were manageable but the sweet spot stuff was the killer. Do you have any suggestions on how to reign in my VO2 workouts without dropping the intensity? Or should I bail on VO2 workouts and raise my FTP to match the effort level of the sub-threshold workouts? Thanks! (first race is in 7 weeks btw)

Bonus question: 2-3 weeks of illness usually requires 6-8 months of training to regain the pre-illness FTP (usually drops 10-15 watts in my experience). Does that sound about right?

Sorry to hear about the sickness — they always tend to happen at the worst times in the season. :/

I'm going to run this by Coach Chad to get his thoughts on the best approach here. But just some food for thought: considering VO2 max is the maximum level of oxygen your body can consume, the aspect of your recovery that appears to have been affected the most is your capacity to consume O2. Or that is just the aspect of your performance that was affected most by the sickness. If it was a bronchial infection that could explain some of that...

On the note of bouncing back: everyone's physiology and rate of recovery is different, so there really isn't a hard-and-fast rule here. 6-8 months for 2-3 weeks of illness does seem like quite the stretch though — at least with a common cold anyway. From my experience I've seen riders bounce back with a little over the same amount of time they were off the bike with the illness. But that's by no means a rule either. Either way, you'll always want to err on the side of caution as you get back on the bike. Our usual approach has been that if the numbers aren't there, you aren't ready to get back into it at 100%. But that's under the recommendation to retest your FTP before beginning your training following an illness.

Anyway, we'll get back to you soon!

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [captain-dan76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-dan76 wrote:
Hi Nick, I have a question regarding my power and heart rate zones. I did "Phoenix" today, which is almost 80 Minutes in power zone 3. But my heart rate was in the middle of zone 2. My last FTP-testing was 9 weeks ago. Right now, I am in week 5 of the long distance middle volume plan. I skipped the FTP-test in week 1 of the plan due to illness. Should I lift my ftp without testing? If yes, how many percent?
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

A lower heart rate on an effort you're used to seeing a higher reading on can definitely be an indicator of improvements. Not always due to some of the variability with heart rate, but since you haven't retested in a while I'm thinking that's the case. Instead of blindly bumping things up, go ahead and reassess your FTP.

If you were further along in your plan and had one closer on the horizon I would recommend bumping it up a few percent. But since you're smack-dab in the middle the plan it'd be best to retest (that rhymed). ;)

Feel free to swap one in for your next workout.

Good luck and happy training!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Fellas, I am 110% certain this has been asked, but not certain where to find the answer.

Just completed Sweet Spot 1,low volume. I would like to bump up to mid volume. Should I go to mid, V1 or V2?

Also, if I stuck with low volume 2, I could just add a ride like Taku (or another easy 30-60 ride) for a similar training effect, right?

EDIT: If I know my FTP hasn't decreased - or increased - what is a good substitute workout for the TT?

Thanks.

Hey!

No worries! If you'd like to transition from Sweet Spot Base low-volume I to mid-volume, feel free crank things up a notch by moving right into Sweet Spot Base mid-volume II. Low-volume II actually only has 3 rides per week vs. 5 rides/week on the mid-volume plan. If you'd like to only do 4/week, you could either:

1) Choose SSB mid-volume II and go the route of dropping the active recovery session on Wednesday or the additional Sunday Sweet Spot workout.(You can keep the plan as is if you'd like too)

Or

2) Continue into SSB low-volume II and add a 60 minute Sweet Spot or Tempo workout to gain some additional training benefit.

You noted that you haven't seen any FTP increases, but you wouldn't have taken an FTP test since the beginning of the plan. Did you already reassess your FTP after completing SSB I?

And mind clarifying "a good substitute for the TT"?

Thanks—talk to you soon,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, full disclosure....I didn't want to do the 20'TT. At all. But I did it, and (self-fullilling prophecy) ended at the 7' mark. Total puss out. Comfortable saying that my FTP is not higher, but doesn't need to go any lower right now (even with a terrible test result....I'm discovering I'm a really bad 'test taker')

I'm looking at the SSB LV2, and see 4rides/week. You referenced that it only had three. Am I viewing something incorrectly? I think I'd lean towards this plan...not sure I want to do 2.5-3h Sunday AM rides right now...too lazy!

Again, many thanks.

Nick Kanwetz wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:

Thanks.

Hey!

No worries! If you'd like to transition from Sweet Spot Base low-volume I to mid-volume, feel free crank things up a notch by moving right into Sweet Spot Base mid-volume II. Low-volume II actually only has 3 rides per week vs. 5 rides/week on the mid-volume plan. If you'd like to only do 4/week, you could either:

1) Choose SSB mid-volume II and go the route of dropping the active recovery session on Wednesday or the additional Sunday Sweet Spot workout.(You can keep the plan as is if you'd like too)

Or

2) Continue into SSB low-volume II and add a 60 minute Sweet Spot or Tempo workout to gain some additional training benefit.

You noted that you haven't seen any FTP increases, but you wouldn't have taken an FTP test since the beginning of the plan. Did you already reassess your FTP after completing SSB I?

And mind clarifying "a good substitute for the TT"?

Thanks—talk to you soon,
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad folks, just a feature request. I'm using the TrainerRoad Mac Beta and it works great with my CompuTrainer and no major issues (although it's a little finicky discovering it as it disconnects and I have to force it to connect in the beginning).

I place my laptop a bit far away from my bike and before, when I adjusted the intensity, I would get large, clear text on the screen telling me what the new intensity is. That is not available in the Beta and I'm never sure what intensity I'm at. It would be great if you could bring that feature back so I don't have to stop to walk over to the laptop to read the new number or just assume I pressed the button on the CT the right amount of times.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Nick, full disclosure....I didn't want to do the 20'TT. At all. But I did it, and (self-fullilling prophecy) ended at the 7' mark. Total puss out. Comfortable saying that my FTP is not higher, but doesn't need to go any lower right now (even with a terrible test result....I'm discovering I'm a really bad 'test taker')

I'm looking at the SSB LV2, and see 4rides/week. You referenced that it only had three. Am I viewing something incorrectly? I think I'd lean towards this plan...not sure I want to do 2.5-3h Sunday AM rides right now...too lazy!

Again, many thanks.

No worries—it happens! Though, there are some things you can do to dial-in your results. Take a look at this article on FTP testing when you get a chance, it'll give you some pointers to making the most out of your 20-Minute FTP test: How to get your best FTP results

Oops! You're right about the 4 rides/week. The reason I got confused there was because we just released an updated version of the Sweet Spot Base plans that dropped that fourth ride (This would not have affected the plan you were already in—hence why you saw no changes). Another thing that happened in that update is that we replaced those 2.5-3 hour Sunday workouts with shorter Sweet Spot workouts. If that changes your thinking at-all, feel free to take a look at the revised plans here: Base plans

Good luck at your next go at the FTP test! Hope that article helps!

Let us know how it goes. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:

Hey! I discussed your question with our head coach and wanted to pass along his thoughts for you.

It sounds like your aerobic capacity is what took the largest hit during your illness. Your higher-end fitness will come back around, but it's better to drop the intensity of your VO2 max repeats in a way that allows you to withstand the full durations in effort to tax your cardiorespiratory/vascular systems. This is a better approach than working more anaerobically with too-high of watts that'll load you up, ultimately pushing you to an early failure. So you're going to want to address the aerobic system rather than the anaerobic system.

So your best approach will be to drop the intensity enough to last the 3-minutes, then nudge them back up as those 3-minute efforts become more manageable from week to week and as your O2 uptake returns to pre-illness levels.

Hope this helps get you back on track! Happy Training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, thanks for the advice. I've followed it the past few workouts and had a minor breakthrough last night. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can get back on track. I swear, your product (and your customer service) are the best money spent in triathlon IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Nick, thanks for the advice. I've followed it the past few workouts and had a minor breakthrough last night. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can get back on track. I swear, your product (and your customer service) are the best money spent in triathlon IMO.

You're very welcome. Glad to hear things are shaping up. And thank you for the kind words — our aim is to be exactly that. :)

Keep us in the loop if you run into anything else.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

Thought I saw a post a while back that TR would be putting out training plans that take into account age i.e. Over 50. Was that wishful thinking on my part or is my age showing or am I just not finding it?
TR is a quality product. Really enjoying it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

15 weeks from nowIi've my target A -race (od)

I want to start the Olympic distance plan.
Base mid volume = 6 weeks
Build mid volume = 8 weeks
Specialty phase = 8 weeks.

I can combine two plans to have 14 weeks of workouts.

The specialty Phase seems to build towards a peak, which seems desirable for my race. Is it advisable to replace the build for the Specialty Phase?
Quote Reply

Prev Next