Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your recommended plan for weight loss?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
TR,

I'm about to start the Build phase of the oly plan.

Would it be detrimental to substitute some of the workouts in the plan with sufferfest workouts? I'd target sufferfest workouts with similar time and TSS.

Thanks!

I wouldn't use the word detrimental, but keep in mind that each workout in the training plans are specific in nature and meant to work together with your other workouts to spur the intended aerobic and muscular adaptations. I truly don't think it'll derail any progress, but I would just keep that in mind. :) Since you're mindful of the targeted TSS and types of SF workouts you substitute for, you should still be working towards meaningful progress. Are you still using the run & swim instructions included in the 'Weekly Tips'?

Talk to you soon,

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chad.
I am a podcast listener and stalk this Slowtwich thread constantly. I have used the full distance mid-volume base/build/specialty plan twice with success - but now I have a special snowflake question for you: I only have 24 weeks available until my next full IM event (4 weeks short of a full base/build/spec cycle). My first thought is to trim the 4 weeks out of specialty weeks 3-6 so I get the full benefit of another base/build cycle and still get the two week taper. Would you agree or is there a better fit for my available 24 weeks?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
What's your recommended plan for weight loss?

Before giving you a specific recommendation, I just want to make sure you understand that TR's training plans progress through three phases: Base, Build, and Specialty. The Base phase focuses on establishing a foundation of strength and aerobic endurance that you'll be able to expand and build upon as you move into your Build phase. In the Build, you'll shift your training to a focus on building your short, sprinting power, sustainable power, or varying mixtures of the two types of work. The Specialty phase that follows will become much more specific and is meant to refine your skills to be as specific as possible.

Having said all that, it can be difficult to balance some of the tougher demands of our plans with a focus primarily on weight loss. This is because the demands of certain types of workouts, and recovery for that matter, can require more "fuel" than others (i.e. food). Our Head Coach's personal thoughts are to target weight loss apart from the entire BBS cycle. But if you were to decide to focus on weight loss specifically while still making progress on the bike, trying any volume of the Traditional Base plan would be a good approach. The reason why is because the type of work included in this plan falls into a category which requires little-to-no exogenous fuel to complete. This also means that your body would presumably become better at relying on fat to burn for fuel instead of primarily sugars.

So I think you really have two approaches here:

1) If you want to focus primarily on weight loss, choosing Traditional Base training plan would be a great approach. Add some sprints in there and some weight training, and you should certainly be making progress to cutting some lbs/kgs. And of course a huge focus on nutrition, as this is what weight loss truly comes down to. You're welcome to then continue into a Build and Specialty phase of your choosing after that as well, but your nutrition needs could change to accommodate some of the demands of workouts seen in Build & Specialty plans.

2) If you are willing to divide your focus amongst weight loss and getting faster on the bike from the get-go, I think you could still cut meaningful weight by moving through our typically recommended Base phase known as Sweet Spot Base. This is a higher-intensity approach and may require more food ingestion, but if you're very specific to those types of nutrition you should still be shedding weight.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Our coaches and CEO have a round table discussion on our podcast that often touches on the subject of weight loss and cycling training. Feel free to have a listen and send in any questions that you'd like answered. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quick question.

I am currently signed up for the year, but in reality rarely use trainerroad in the summer months.

If when my renewal comes up I change to monthly, and then cancel my subscription in the summer, does that wipe my history, so next winter I'm starting from scratch or does my history remain but I can't do new workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About half way through SSB II Med volume. The plan is to then do Sustained Power Build followed by 40K TT. I am trying to figure out what volume to do for the next two phases. The TSS and time per week on the Medium volume on both is lower - time on the bike being more significantly so. The TSS on the High Volume is a good bit higher, but the time on the bike is closer to SSB Med volume. Should I stick with Med Volume or could I jump to High?

For what it's worth, I do triathlons and at some point will be working swim/run back into my routine. Thought I would have already done it but a broken foot and sickness (not training related) has kept me isolated to the bike for the better part of the past 4-5 months. Commencing slow, short runs is on calendar for about 2 weeks out with the pool coming back next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
A quick question.

I am currently signed up for the year, but in reality rarely use trainerroad in the summer months.

If when my renewal comes up I change to monthly, and then cancel my subscription in the summer, does that wipe my history, so next winter I'm starting from scratch or does my history remain but I can't do new workouts?

You're totally welcome to switch over to the monthly subscription plan when your yearly plan is coming to a close. Then you'll want to "suspend", rather than cancel your account. Cancelling your account will erase your training history, while suspending will save your training, allowing you to pick up right where you left off. :)

One plus side of keeping the yearly plan, aside from the discounted rate, is the ability to periodically assess your FTP throughout the year to track your fitness. And you can even log some intervals if the weather isn't up to snuff outdoors. We also have some big plans coming this season in effort to help users track their outdoor data within TR. Either way, going with the monthly plan and suspending as you see fit is always an option.

Shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com if you run into any issues getting this done. :)

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick,

I'm running my first marathon at the end of the month. I've been trying to do at least 2 challenging hammer rides with the local fast roadies during the last couple of weeks trying to preserve my bike fitness. Wanted to take a trainer break before having to spend endless hours on it during the season.

I plan on jumping right into the full distance BBS cycle after the marathon and was wondering how long to wait. I know I will probably tank an ftp test within the first 2 weeks post-race, so what timeframe would be realistic? How should I try to quantify how ready I am to fully jump in?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a two part question.
1. I will be coming off a winter running race and will only have 16 weeks until 70.3. I was planning to just do the build/specialty phase. Any big issue with this? My biking the past 3 months has only been 1/2 a week and really they were just recovery rides. I can handle relatively large bike volumes during tri training. Or maybe do 4 weeks base/4 weeks build/8 weeks speciality?? What combination would set me up for toeing the line on race day in top form.
2. The Friday rides on the plan are more of a recovery ride. Due to my schedule I would have to complete those on Mondays. Do you see any issue with this? I would follow the rest of the workouts on the prescribed days.

Thanks!
Last edited by: FairDestroyer: Jan 13, 17 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so frustrated with Trainer Road last 2 rides in the 3 hour range during the last 15 to 30 minutes trainer road quits ride stops screen goes blank... Trainer road also has no way to reload the ride and resume where you left off! Is anyone else having these issues and what is the fix? Thanks in Advance:)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [StevenTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StevenTris wrote:
I am so frustrated with Trainer Road last 2 rides in the 3 hour range during the last 15 to 30 minutes trainer road quits ride stops screen goes blank... Trainer road also has no way to reload the ride and resume where you left off! Is anyone else having these issues and what is the fix? Thanks in Advance:)

Watt overload bro. Back it down, you're smoking the software!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
StevenTris wrote:

Watt overload bro. Back it down, you're smoking the software!

Yeah that must be it!!! I will just ride with you next time and all issues will be solved good looking out!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hi Nate,

Sorry if this has been covered before but this thread is massive. I'm wondering what's going on here? I have a Tacx Vortex that was in Erg mode controlled from my computer. This is during the 8 min FTP test and it was cycling between actual effort and decreasing the resistance. You could hear is going RRRRrrrrRRRRrrrr and was obviously pretty regular (red). Then towards the end it felt like it finally disengaged to actual effort (green) but then never reengaged to Erg mode, i.e. after the green circle, it said it was in Erg but was actually in resistance.

I think Zwift was doing something similar during Erg workouts, so maybe it's my trainer, but I thought there was a difference in how TR worked with the powermatch thing. ANy ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:

Hi Nate,

Sorry if this has been covered before but this thread is massive. I'm wondering what's going on here? I have a Tacx Vortex that was in Erg mode controlled from my computer. This is during the 8 min FTP test and it was cycling between actual effort and decreasing the resistance. You could hear is going RRRRrrrrRRRRrrrr and was obviously pretty regular (red). Then towards the end it felt like it finally disengaged to actual effort (green) but then never reengaged to Erg mode, i.e. after the green circle, it said it was in Erg but was actually in resistance.

I think Zwift was doing something similar during Erg workouts, so maybe it's my trainer, but I thought there was a difference in how TR worked with the powermatch thing. ANy ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Based on that graph I think it's your trainer. Power match only adjusts targets by 5 watts at a time every 10 seconds (max, sometimes it's slower than that).

So in this case it looks like your Vortex is not working right. It shouldn't make that noise either :).

I would see if Tacx can warranty it for you.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Based on that graph I think it's your trainer. Power match only adjusts targets by 5 watts at a time every 10 seconds (max, sometimes it's slower than that).

That's an interesting fact. Never knew that. That would explain why when doing doing VO2 max intervals on a Kickr Snap why it took 30 seconds to a minute to settle down to target power after initially going way over. The bigger the increase in power target the longer it took to settle down. (The Snap was replaced then went back for a refund. Back on a Fluid 2 trainer and power meter.).
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

That's an interesting fact. Never knew that. That would explain why when doing doing VO2 max intervals on a Kickr Snap why it took 30 seconds to a minute to settle down to target power after initially going way over. The bigger the increase in power target the longer it took to settle down. (The Snap was replaced then went back for a refund. Back on a Fluid 2 trainer and power meter.).

The biggest issue we have with power match is if the slope of your trainer and your power meter are not the same.

That means your trainer and power meter might have a 10 watt difference at 100 watts. Then at 300 watts it might have a 40 watt difference. If that's the case, then power match has to make up for that 30 watt difference.

If the slope of your trainer or power meter is not the same; well that's a sign that one of them is not a very good power measurement tool.

We're working on an update to take into account the slope, but that's still a bit of a ways out.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
Hi Chad.
I am a podcast listener and stalk this Slowtwich thread constantly. I have used the full distance mid-volume base/build/specialty plan twice with success - but now I have a special snowflake question for you: I only have 24 weeks available until my next full IM event (4 weeks short of a full base/build/spec cycle). My first thought is to trim the 4 weeks out of specialty weeks 3-6 so I get the full benefit of another base/build cycle and still get the two week taper. Would you agree or is there a better fit for my available 24 weeks?
Thanks!

Hey Marty,

I think this approach is going to work well in getting you prepared for your full distance IM coming up. Keeping in mind that the Specialty phase serves to refine and sharpen the strength, aerobic endurance, and skills you've established over the previous weeks of training, trimming this phase of training will certainly not be a setback to your progress. Coach Chad's normal recommendation in a circumstance such as this is to progress through as much of the Specialty plan as possible, then schedule week 8 to tone down your training. That said, since you'll be omitting weeks 3-6 you'll still get the benefits of tapering your training for your race. It'll be a slightly different approach, but slightly different can be good in that it throws some variation in what you may have already experienced in the past. :)

Good luck this season and happy training!

Feel free to let us know if you run into any other questions.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
About half way through SSB II Med volume. The plan is to then do Sustained Power Build followed by 40K TT. I am trying to figure out what volume to do for the next two phases. The TSS and time per week on the Medium volume on both is lower - time on the bike being more significantly so. The TSS on the High Volume is a good bit higher, but the time on the bike is closer to SSB Med volume. Should I stick with Med Volume or could I jump to High?

For what it's worth, I do triathlons and at some point will be working swim/run back into my routine. Thought I would have already done it but a broken foot and sickness (not training related) has kept me isolated to the bike for the better part of the past 4-5 months. Commencing slow, short runs is on calendar for about 2 weeks out with the pool coming back next week.

Nice work so far through SSB—it can be a toughie. :) Your observation on the decrease in volume & TSS is an interesting one and something that can be tricky to understand when comparing different forms of training/different plans. Although the TSS and time on the bike may slightly decrease, TSS from one type of workout may mean different things for your fitness than TSS from a different type of workout (e.g. 600 TSS at 60% FTP + more time vs. 400 TSS at 120% FTP + less time). Essentially it comes down to different plans with different stress loads aimed at different forms of adaptation. The lower TSS & less time on the bike commonly seen in HIT training must be managed far differently than the long, slow distance approach with higher TSS & more time. So, as nice as it would be to boil everything down to TSS, sometimes it doesn't work out that nicely.

That said, feel free to bump things up to High-Vol if you have the time and are feeling confident you can absorb the stress. If you find that you're not recovering between workouts such that you're feeling rundown, take that as a sign to knock things back to Mid-Vol. You can always try to prolong some of your aerobic endurance workouts to increase your TSS/training volume each week on the Mid-Vol. You may also find Mid a better fit once you trickle run & swim stuff back into the routine. Either way, nothing is really hard and fast here. You can always give it a shot and tone things back if it seems like too much.

Hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Nick,

I'm running my first marathon at the end of the month. I've been trying to do at least 2 challenging hammer rides with the local fast roadies during the last couple of weeks trying to preserve my bike fitness. Wanted to take a trainer break before having to spend endless hours on it during the season.

I plan on jumping right into the full distance BBS cycle after the marathon and was wondering how long to wait. I know I will probably tank an ftp test within the first 2 weeks post-race, so what timeframe would be realistic? How should I try to quantify how ready I am to fully jump in?

Thanks!

Hey!

Our recommendation after following a complete BBS cycle is to take about 1-3 weeks of relatively low-intensity work before diving back into another cycle. Similarly, we'd recommend this approach to your triathlon training before getting back into the Full-Distance plans since training for a marathon is no walk in the park.. At the end of the day listen to your body, but just know a good rule of thumb is that 1-3 week range. That said, if you think you need a little bit more time off, take it. :)

On the FTP test note: maintaining properly established fitness takes comparatively little than what it takes to build it. So I bet you'll be surprised to see you've still held onto quite a bit of your strength and endurance just by keeping those 2 road rides in the mix.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your marathon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

Hoping you can help with a problem I have running TR on my Kickr Snap.

Currently running the TR trial, as I received the trainer as a Christmas present. I've tried performing the 20 min FTP test twice: first time running on my 2014 Macbook Pro, with constant ANT+ dropouts and the TR app eventually freezing and crashing; the second time on my Surface Pro 4 which correctly picked up all sensors (no dropouts), but experienced extremely inconsistent spikes in resistance throughout the ride, but most noticeably during the 20min test. I can't really overemphasize how erratic the resistance spikes were; totally unrideable such that eventually I had to stop because the constant pausing as the trainer ground to a stop rendered the data/test useless, as well as causing me to blow out my legs.

Here's my setup:

- Garmin USB ANT+ Dongle on Surface Pro 4
- Garmin Vector 1 dual pedals
- Garmin Fenix 3 HR for heartrate in ANT broadcast mode
- Garmin Speed sensor (rear hub, accelerometer)
- Wahoo Kickr Snap firmware 2.1.5

Notes:

- I performed an advanced spindown when I received the unit 2 weeks ago
- I perform a normal spindown every ride
- I've turned off Bluetooth on the Trainerroad devices screen in order to reduce interference since all my sensors are ANT compatible anyways

Questions:

1. On the devices screen, the Kickr Snap appears to be listed twice: as a generic "ANT+ Trainer" and also as a "Kickr Snap" - which device should I pair with?
2. During the 20min FTP segment, from the documentation online it appears that the it looks like the mode of resistance should be "Standard" during the test. However during my segment in the lower part of the screen it looked as if I was set in "Resistance 20%". This occurred when paired to the trainer as an "ANT+ Trainer" as opposed to the "Kickr Snap". I assume being in the incorrect mode (resistance) contributed to the poor experience during FTP testing, but still doesn't make sense given the suddenness and magnitude of the resistance increase. For example, I'd be pedaling along ~200 watts, big ring, middle of cogs - perhaps watts would drop by 5-10, but cadence stayed the same - I'd then experience a crushing increase in resistance to where I could barely move the cranks fully standing up on the bike. It would also then be impossible to downshift to the small ring and larger cogs because of low chain speed. Lastly, this same scenario has also happened when in the small ring and largest cog; leaving me with no lower gears to bailout on - very frustrating!

Thanks in advance for your help - I was hoping to replace much of my outdoor training with the Kickr but it's been nothing but issues so far.
Last edited by: brianwchan: Jan 16, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [FairDestroyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FairDestroyer wrote:
1. I will be coming off a winter running race and will only have 16 weeks until 70.3. I was planning to just do the build/specialty phase. Any big issue with this? My biking the past 3 months has only been 1/2 a week and really they were just recovery rides. I can handle relatively large bike volumes during tri training. Or maybe do 4 weeks base/4 weeks build/8 weeks speciality?? What combination would set me up for toeing the line on race day in top form.
2. The Friday rides on the plan are more of a recovery ride. Due to my schedule I would have to complete those on Mondays. Do you see any issue with this? I would follow the rest of the workouts on the prescribed days.

Thanks!

I'm going to send you a personal message to make sure you're talking about the plans in the context of our earlier recommendation made on page 124 of this thread. :)

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
Hi Nick,

Hoping you can help with a problem I have running TR on my Kickr Snap.

Currently running the TR trial, as I received the trainer as a Christmas present. I've tried performing the 20 min FTP test twice: first time running on my 2014 Macbook Pro, with constant ANT+ dropouts and the TR app eventually freezing and crashing; the second time on my Surface Pro 4 which correctly picked up all sensors (no dropouts), but experienced extremely inconsistent spikes in resistance throughout the ride, but most noticeably during the 20min test. I can't really overemphasize how erratic the resistance spikes were; totally unrideable such that eventually I had to stop because the constant pausing as the trainer ground to a stop rendered the data/test useless, as well as causing me to blow out my legs.

Here's my setup:

- Garmin USB ANT+ Dongle on Surface Pro 4
- Garmin Vector 1 dual pedals
- Garmin Fenix 3 HR for heartrate in ANT broadcast mode
- Garmin Speed sensor (rear hub, accelerometer)
- Wahoo Kickr Snap firmware 2.1.5

Notes:

- I performed an advanced spindown when I received the unit 2 weeks ago
- I perform a normal spindown every ride
- I've turned off Bluetooth on the Trainerroad devices screen in order to reduce interference since all my sensors are ANT compatible anyways

Questions:

1. On the devices screen, the Kickr Snap appears to be listed twice: as a generic "ANT+ Trainer" and also as a "Kickr Snap" - which device should I pair with?
2. During the 20min FTP segment, from the documentation online it appears that the it looks like the mode of resistance should be "Standard" during the test. However during my segment in the lower part of the screen it looked as if I was set in "Resistance 20%". This occurred when paired to the trainer as an "ANT+ Trainer" as opposed to the "Kickr Snap". I assume being in the incorrect mode (resistance) contributed to the poor experience during FTP testing, but still doesn't make sense given the suddenness and magnitude of the resistance increase. For example, I'd be pedaling along ~200 watts, big ring, middle of cogs - perhaps watts would drop by 5-10, but cadence stayed the same - I'd then experience a crushing increase in resistance to where I could barely move the cranks fully standing up on the bike. It would also then be impossible to downshift to the small ring and larger cogs because of low chain speed. Lastly, this same scenario has also happened when in the small ring and largest cog; leaving me with no lower gears to bailout on - very frustrating!

Thanks in advance for your help - I was hoping to replace much of my outdoor training with the Kickr but it's been nothing but issues so far.

Sorry to hear about the rough experience here Brian. :(

Before we move forward with any troubleshooting, we wanted to confirm something about the advanced calibration you performed on the Snap: did you perform this within the 'Wahoo Fitness App' or the 'Wahoo Utility App'? You'll need to make sure it's completed within the Fitness App which can currently only be done using an iOS device. As far as we're aware, Wahoo doesn't support this advanced calibration on any other devices. When you get a chance, let us know that you've done it within the Fitness App on an iOS device.

1. You're seeing the Snap being advertised over two different connection protocols: one being the ANT+ package and the other being the Bluetooth package. In your next go at things, try pairing the trainer as a "Kickr Snap" only, which is over BT. To avoid any additional frustration, test things out in the workout titled "Power Training Ridethrough" as it is a 5 minute workout that can be used to make sure your power is being locked into target. Make sure you're only paired to the following devices: Kickr Snap, Vector pedals, HRM, and Speed sensor. I mention this list of devices because sometimes the power measuring device within the Snap can pair as well which will throw a wrench in things. So keep an eye out for any additional "power meter" being paired other than the vector.

2. You're seeing "Resistance" mode instead of "Slope/Standard" because of the way the standardized ANT+ trainer profile (ANT+ FE-C) was implemented. Resistance/ERG are the only modes the ANT+ FE-C profile supports. If you connect the trainer as "Kickr Snap" you'll see the Standard (Level 3) setting once you enter a testing interval. Despite that limitation with the ANT+ FE-C profile, you'll still get a reliable estimation of your FTP using either mode change. This isn't what is causing the problems you're experiencing, but if you prefer Slope to Resistance (non-linear resistance curves to linear resistance curve), connecting via Bluetooth will make that option available.

Lastly (sorry for the novel), when you try things out again put yourself in a relatively easy gear (small cog up front, middle in the back) and set your FTP back around 200. There is a possibility your FTP was underestimated because of the weird activity you were getting.

Our support agent whom you have an open conversation with is going to follow-up with you where we can keep things more organized. We'll look forward to hearing back from you there and getting you back on the bike without issue. Thanks again for bearing with us through this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick for the quick reply!

Yes, I can confirm that I performed the advanced spindown with the iOS Fitness app.

I will try your recommendations tonight, a few questions though - if I connect over bluetooth to the "Kickr Snap" profile only, does that mean I lose the benefits of the FE-C controllable trainer (ERG mode, etc.)? Additionally, it looks like even with bluetooth switched off in the TR app, that the Kickr Snap profile/sensor is still being picked up and able to be paired? Which seems at odds with your statement that it's the bluetooth profile.

Thank you again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
FairDestroyer wrote:

Thanks!

I'm going to send you a personal message to make sure you're talking about the plans in the context of our earlier recommendation made on page 124 of this thread. :)

Cheers,

Thanks. New work load for this year has compressed my available time to train. I also had not signed up yet to look at the swim/run plan. I like them both. I think the medium range plan will suit me best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick, any news regarding the training camps that were mentioned earlier in this thread?
Quote Reply

Prev Next