Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve mentioned this about 10x (not exactly as you worded it) but due to his extension he is simply limited by the commercially available options out there.

875 seat height is crazy, and then look at the additional stack added compared to original on 200 cranks.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I’ve mentioned this about 10x (not exactly as you worded it) but due to his extension he is simply limited by the commercially available options out there.

875 seat height is crazy, and then look at the additional stack added compared to original on 200 cranks.

Maurice

Yes you have, as many others including Luscan. I think he called 170. Too bad he doesn't listen to people that actually know what they are talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go:

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I know I have had the shakes on some other bikes before which scared the heck out of me. One of many reasons I will not allow myself to go fast on down hills. Blowing out a front tire was another.
This really explains a lot; maybe this whole thread and many others. See your doctor and ask about anxiety meds. Or maybe even ask about a TUE for testosterone. You don't need to live in fear of going outside for a bike ride. Can't imagine how awful this kind of paralyzing fear would make quality of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting post from IT on a thread he started on shorter cranks. Will copy here to try and get stuff all in one thread. Thanks IT.

IT wrote:
One of your older admirers on ST. Man you have spunk.

A shorter crank length has it's benefits. I wish there was this discussion while I was racing in my teens-twenties.

A shorter crank length has more clearance in cornering. Too many of my racing buddies were short on small frames with short cranks. They could pedal through corners that I couldn't without touching a pedal. They also seemed to be able to start pedaling sooner while coming out of the corner. Going by when they were pedaling in corners or curves was no guarantee that I wasn't going to hard touch a pedal and go down.

A shorter crank creates more clearance between our feet and the front tire. Not as serious as cornering; yet it can make a difference while starting and stopping with a turn. Keeps my cycling shoe toes cleaner with fewer touches.

A shorter crank creates a shorter distance to travel. As we get older leg speed does get to be an issue. I seem to be able to react faster in my 170s than the others in their 175s while riding in a group. This helps as I am not the strongest one in the group and can't afford to miss a wheel.

A shorter crank does allow for more "gut" room. As the pedal's circle is not as big, the pedal is not traveling up as high (unless your seat is too low). This helps save the hip flexors.

Now would I jump down to 165s from my 170s? Not unless I needed to. Believe in progression and adaptation. If I started using the lowest easily available cranks it would be hard to go smaller if I needed to do so.

Other things are also impacted by smaller cranks. The chain rings just got bigger by shortening the cranks. My 50 up front with a 170 is close to a 52 with a 175. So if I was on a 52 chain ring, just changing the crank would make it a 53/54 which would be harder to turnover or I would be spending money to go to a 50. The nice thing about a 170 crank and 50 chain ring is that it matches up well with the others on their 175 cranks and 52s. Plus I have more cornering clearance, gut room and less pedal distance to cover while reacting to their darn surges.

Keep up the good work Dave. You give us somethings to talk about.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I have a bad back. There is NO NO way I am going to ever have a flat back at my age.

Dave,

Here's a place where an experienced fitter might well help you out a great deal. Your back looks as if it's in a very comfortable orientation in the video and if you were able to just rotate your front end downward by how your pelvic rami interfaced with an appropriate saddle you could maintain that orientation and would not need to arch your back in a way that "hurt it" . As you get lower in the front end your neck strength and forward visibility will end up limiting things before your back ought to.

I suspect you're going to tell me your saddle is just fine but as a 64 year old with a really wrecked back I'll have to say that sitting on the "right saddle" the "right way" makes all the difference in the world in regards to getting low and not having back pain.

Hugh

I have a number of different saddles I ride to try and spread the bike seat sores around.

Yep, my neck gets impacted. I really have zero desire about worrying about getting low. Just want to get the full strength out of my legs, which clearly I was not getting with my old fit and long cranks.

So, help me out, I do not understand how you are suggesting this rotation. Got any pictures or anything to help me?

I again know some are biased to only using certain saddles. I always keep an open mind that there are 10 ways to skin a cat.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I have a bad back. There is NO NO way I am going to ever have a flat back at my age. The shorter cranks have allowed me to get the cranks over the top correctly while in the
aero position. I was not able to do this with 200's, as proven with my testing with powercranks.

I also have a really bad back, and I've fit a lot of people with really bad backs. I'm a lot lower than you are, but I don't bend over any more than you are. The difference is that I'm rolled forward, while you're sitting back. Your saddle in these videos is mounted at about 72 degrees, as positioned you're riding a road bike, not a tri bike. Bolt a set of aerobars on a Specialized Roubaix and you'd pretty much have the same position you've got here. In fact, if this is the position you're going to race with, you'd be much better off on a road bike. It'll fit better, handle better, and as a bonus you'd now be able to get disc brakes at a P2 price...

Yep, very far observation.

So here is the background. I have ridden for years with my seat like 5 mm in front of the BB. But then folks started to tell me with my video posts my knee relative to the
pedal was way too far forward, and should go back. I also still have my Tri bike that is 82 degrees that I was fitted on for this 5mm in front.

When I got fitted, my seat was pushed way back to get the knee closer to the pedal, which is now like 95mm behind the BB, which yep, would make it much more slack.

This is why I am posting my current. One fitter suggests one thing, another fitter a different.

So, where do you suggest I put the saddle position compared to the BB?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

No fun being a tall person. So many limits and issues.

When I get a chance, I am going to see how high the seat post on the P2 goes up? This right there may limit what I can do. I also may have an issue getting the
bars high enough up. I have to play with that also. I bought one of those stems that angles up when I converted my tri bike to a road DL bike, but that may not be enough.

Will be the pits if I cannot put this stuff onto my race bike. This could force me to a longer crank length just to get the seat height to work.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Yes you have, as many others including Luscan. I think he called 170. Too bad he doesn't listen to people that actually know what they are talking about.

Yes I am listening, but this does not mean there is one answer!!!

What is the 170?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Here you go:

So is that good or bad?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I know I have had the shakes on some other bikes before which scared the heck out of me. One of many reasons I will not allow myself to go fast on down hills. Blowing out a front tire was another.

This really explains a lot; maybe this whole thread and many others. See your doctor and ask about anxiety meds. Or maybe even ask about a TUE for testosterone. You don't need to live in fear of going outside for a bike ride. Can't imagine how awful this kind of paralyzing fear would make quality of life.

Why take unnecessary risks descending, especially on open roads when cycling is mostly about torque application in the most effective way. Your bones don't heal as fast when over 60.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-in-horrific-thai-bike-crash-flown-back-home-after-friends-raise-50k-36443798.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, here is a video where I dropped the bars down to 110mm. Cranks 145mm. Seat 875mm up. BB 95mm back. Seat to pads, 495.

I definitely do not feel comfortable I understand how, let alone have, the seat position relative to the BB correct. If I push it back forward, them my knee
gets pushed way in front of the pedal. Some say this is bad. Others say do not worry about it.

So folks, what should I try? Fairly easy for me to tweak, take a video, and post.

I do again want to thank folks for the inputs. I do believe it is helping others, some for a good laugh. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to resist replying because I feel like I'm just feeding a troll. I legitimately can't tell if you just willingly ignore those who want to help, if you do this for attention or if you are somewhere on the spectrum and don't realize how your behavior comes across.

You say you don't care about getting lower to improve your position, but hasn't this whole experiment been about getting better all around on the bike? If so, being able to go faster on the same or even less watts is of utmost importance. Plus you will be able to run better off the bike. Why would you not look in to a saddle that induces proper pelvic rotation? I agree with the other posters. If you are not going to address that too than just by a road bike.

That is all I can add further. I have to join everyone else at this point and add you to the block list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I again know some are biased to only using certain saddles. I always keep an open mind that there are 10 ways to skin a cat.

After riding dozens of different saddle makes and models over the years the first "revelation saddle" of a saddle for me was an Adamo Podium and now what's turned out to be even way better for me is the Dash Stage. I've not had a saddle sore in years riding the Dash.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I try to resist replying because I feel like I'm just feeding a troll. I legitimately can't tell if you just willingly ignore those who want to help, if you do this for attention or if you are somewhere on the spectrum and don't realize how your behavior comes across.

You say you don't care about getting lower to improve your position, but hasn't this whole experiment been about getting better all around on the bike? If so, being able to go faster on the same or even less watts is of utmost importance. Plus you will be able to run better off the bike. Why would you not look in to a saddle that induces proper pelvic rotation? I agree with the other posters. If you are not going to address that too than just by a road bike.

That is all I can add further. I have to join everyone else at this point and add you to the block list.

I run fine off the bike so that has never been an issue for me.

Again, tons of folks have different opinions on all of this. I am NOT ignoring anyone. I listen to everyones inputs. BUT, they are all not the same, or we, as an example, would only have one bike seat type to buy. I just wish folks would stop trying to say there way is the ONLY way!!!

Yep, this started needing a better bike fit. Will it be perfect for everyones opinion. Clearly not since the majority tell me I should just stick with 175 or 185 cranks.
So for various reasons, some things might be different, that I need, compared to what the experts say.

Now, have I yet to blow off any input? NOPE!!

Am I done with what I will try at my first race? Nope.

So why do you and other accuse me of not listening?

I have yet to understand, with pictures, etc how to get this magical pelvic rotation that so many say is just obvious. Well, maybe I am the only person in the world that is just
trying to understand. So just help me out and assume I am totally stupid. Your assignment is, in a non emotional way, help me learn.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perfection wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Why take unnecessary risks descending, especially on open roads when cycling is mostly about torque application in the most effective way. Your bones don't heal as fast when over 60.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-in-horrific-thai-bike-crash-flown-back-home-after-friends-raise-50k-36443798.html

I have no idea what his comment is about. I am not shaking, the bike is shaking!!! Been plenty of threads on ST that bikes can start to shake.

Man, why do some folks have to take things so negatively?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

After riding dozens of different saddle makes and models over the years the first "revelation saddle" of a saddle for me was an Adamo Podium and now what's turned out to be even way better for me is the Dash Stage. I've not had a saddle sore in years riding the Dash.

Yep, this one seat some love. Others love other types. Again, if this was the only way, why do I not see everyone riding these?

Again, I am listening. I have a cut nose seat. If this is proven to be the only way to get the best fit, I am all for trying stuff. As I say, I have so many different
types of seats I can try. And since I ride the bike 7 days a week, no matter what seat I have tried, they all rub.

That seat as you know is super expensive, right?

I just am trying to understand how my fit is wrong, not starting with what equipment I might need to get it yet.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the max height a 2009 P2 can go? Going up in the garage now to push the seat post up. I hope it has a marking for max. Then will see what it is.
Lots of wasted energy if I cannot get the seat at the correct height.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

h2ofun wrote:
At this point, I will go with something short since so many have told me it cannot work, I want to try it and see what happens. :)

No you are not listening. The second quote is your true nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, this one seat some love. Others love other types. Again, if this was the only way, why do I not see everyone riding these?

Again, I am listening. I have a cut nose seat. If this is proven to be the only way to get the best fit, I am all for trying stuff. As I say, I have so many different
types of seats I can try. And since I ride the bike 7 days a week, no matter what seat I have tried, they all rub.

That seat as you know is super expensive, right?

I just am trying to understand how my fit is wrong, not starting with what equipment I might need to get it yet.

Thanks

The Dash Stage is ~ $200. so yes net a cheapy. Here's where going to a good fitter with a nice selection of saddles to try would be oh so useful. How many different saddles did Frank have for you to try? Getting the saddle right is one of the important early steps in a really fit it allows one to be comfortable while generating good power and not have to arch their back to "guard" their nether regions. Frank and I have argued this point years ago so I doubt we will agree on this point.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

At this point, I will go with something short since so many have told me it cannot work, I want to try it and see what happens. :)

No you are not listening. The second quote is your true nature.

My true nature has always been to take the inputs from the "experts", put them all in the bag, shake it up, and see what happens.
Some times I try what "most" experts think. (They are never in 100% agreement). Other times I use my judgement to try stuff.

Leaders take inputs, and then use their gut to try things. I have always in life been a change agent. Always on the bleeding edge.
If this makes me a bad person, then I am a real real bad person. Sorry about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just measured my P2 and it can go to 940 so that is not an issue.

I think even at 870 up I can get a bar drop around 110mm.

So it seems the bike stuff might be okay to adjust.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

So here is the background. I have ridden for years with my seat like 5 mm in front of the BB. But then folks started to tell me with my video posts my knee relative to the
pedal was way too far forward, and should go back. I also still have my Tri bike that is 82 degrees that I was fitted on for this 5mm in front.

When I got fitted, my seat was pushed way back to get the knee closer to the pedal, which is now like 95mm behind the BB, which yep, would make it much more slack.

This is why I am posting my current. One fitter suggests one thing, another fitter a different.

So, where do you suggest I put the saddle position compared to the BB?

Thanks

Ignore the knee position over the pedal.

Take a look at the fitting articles elsewhere on this site. Your lower body angles are all within the ideal ranges, which means you are "bent over" about as much as most of the Kona top 10. The difference is that you are sitting farther back, which means you have rotated back around the BB. Keep your lower body angles the same, but rotate forward around the BB. This will move you forward, and "flatten" your back. However, since your saddle remains level, this means that you will have to rotate your pelvis. If you don't know how to do this, or have a saddle that doesn't allow you to, you won't be able to go lower unless you actually bend your back. Some people can do this with a conventional saddle, others can't (hence the popularity of ISM and similar saddles).

Where you really deviate from standard fitting conventions is your arm angle and pad placement. Your torso/arm angle is currently 69 degrees, it should be closer to 90.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is advocating unnecessary risks? Cycling outdoors, up and down mountains is one of the joys in my life. Yes it has some risk but life is full of risks and rewards. For me, the rewards far outweigh the risks. If I reach a point where riding a bike up and down hills is daunting, as it is for the OP of this thread, I will know that its time to lay down and die because my spirit will have already died.
perfection wrote:
Why take unnecessary risks descending
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Who is advocating unnecessary risks? Cycling outdoors, up and down mountains is one of the joys in my life. Yes it has some risk but life is full of risks and rewards. For me, the rewards far outweigh the risks. If I reach a point where riding a bike up and down hills is daunting, as it is for the OP of this thread, I will know that its time to lay down and die because my spirit will have already died.
perfection wrote:
Why take unnecessary risks descending

I respect that is your opinion, but sure is not mine. I have been hit by a car in the vineman race which could have killed me.
I had a front tire blow out going down the steep hill at IMLT. I could have been toast. My wife LOVES I only train indoors! Which is why I have so many Veltrons.

So again, that is your joy, but why not allow some of us who enjoy what we do be left alone?

Quote Reply

Prev Next