Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

I hope the OP got a journal for Christmas....

Nope

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

Except when someone uses the “quote” button all I can see is Ignored Post. In fact there are about 10 of them in a row right above your Post. It’s sort of funny imagining the conversation and arguments he appears to now be having with himself or his alter ego. He even replied to my post earlier saying that he was being ignored as if I would actually see whatever he wrote.
I replied to your post? Sorry

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

Except when someone uses the “quote” button all I can see is Ignored Post. In fact there are about 10 of them in a row right above your Post. It’s sort of funny imagining the conversation and arguments he appears to now be having with himself or his alter ego. He even replied to my post earlier saying that he was being ignored as if I would actually see whatever he wrote.

Eight ignored posts from waterboy, one from Brooks, then another 10 from waterboy. I'm morbidly curious what he's saying for that many posts in a row with not even close to that many to respond to. Not curious enough to actually click and pollute my brain, though.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

Eight ignored posts from waterboy, one from Brooks, then another 10 from waterboy. I'm morbidly curious what he's saying for that many posts in a row with not even close to that many to respond to. Not curious enough to actually click and pollute my brain, though.

He is jerking off frank. It’s actually really pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Toby wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

He is jerking off frank. It’s actually really pathetic.

Makes sense. Well, "sense". And to be clear, the post from Brooks is not blocked; reading my post again made it look a little ambiguous.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

What, Journal of Applied Biomechanics?

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

Too bad, you might learn something you are missing

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
Elitist Jerk wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Please stop.

What, Journal of Applied Biomechanics?

Whats that?

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may help.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you think is the main attributing factor to the ability to hit the 300 watt level? Crank length, Christmas cookies, positioning and intensity of other workouts vs bike, other?
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
This may help.

This stuff is over my head, which is why it is great there are so many experts around to help me in my quest.

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grindmonkey wrote:
what do you think is the main attributing factor to the ability to hit the 300 watt level? Crank length, Christmas cookies, positioning and intensity of other workouts vs bike, other?

IMO, clearly crank length. Even though the real short stuff is much easier to spin, is really no different on the flats, but on hills, and for me, big wattage efforts, crank length does impact leverage is seems. Some of it is also how much effort I can muster for the day, but no matter how hard I tried for my skills, no way was I going to stay in the seat on 125 or 130 cranks and push 300 watts. I was lucky to hold onto 260.

Now for a real biker, they can do stuff that I do not have the skills to do.

So it seems I am trying to find a balance. The shortest cranks for best bike fit. The shortest cranks with my best pedal speed for efficiency. The longest for leverage.
We are trying around the 150mm length, cadence about 75. I have the bars 80mm down now. Just need to get off my duff and take some video to post so I can get inputs on the latest fit. Just trying to get the Christmas decorations down and the place ready so I can leave for Disneyland in a week. NO bike for like 5 days, YEA!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So it seems I am trying to find a balance. The shortest cranks for best bike fit. The shortest cranks with my best pedal speed for efficiency. The longest for leverage.
We are trying around the 150mm length, cadence about 75. I have the bars 80mm down now. Just need to get off my duff and take some video to post so I can get inputs on the latest fit. Just trying to get the Christmas decorations down and the place ready so I can leave for Disneyland in a week. NO bike for like 5 days, YEA!!

I do not go on vacations to expensive resorts or theme parks period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I do not go on vacations to expensive resorts or theme parks period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Well played my friend, well played. <<<insert golf clap here>>>>

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

Usually you have to wait like years to set someone up like that, and reference really obscure old posts. waterboy makes it too easy.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Congratulations

Merry Christmas

Last edited by: h2ofun: Dec 26, 17 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spot wrote:

Usually you have to wait like years to set someone up like that, and reference really obscure old posts. waterboy makes it too easy.

Yep, I try to make it easy

Merry Christmas

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Congratulations

Merry Christmas

No need to congratulate me, it’s JCtriguy who deserves the kudos.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Congratulations

Merry Christmas

Nah, you the man

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Martis today on locked 150mm cranks. Had the fastest time ever on the course.

Some thoughts. Over the years I have used lots of different cranks lengths. 200's, 175's, 185's. The common result is on a flat course, none of these different
crank lengths seem to make any different in my race times.

But since most races I do tend to have lots of big hills, I have been chasing, via crank length, how to get the best times. I had always read you must use long stuff
to get leverage, which is why I have used 200's for so long.

But, with the testing on the Velotron, I seem to have found results that say some of my past assumptions are wrong. Meaning, even in my testing on flat stuff, no matter what
the crank length, my result times are still all pretty close to each other. But in the hills, a huge difference between 125 cranks, and 150's .

Now, if I were in the past, I would have continued to assume well if 150 is good, 200 has to be better. But it seems I also now understand one has to throw in bike fit,
which I had never really added to my thinking. And it seems the shorter cranks has allowed me to get a better aero position, and deal with my knee issue.

Going to try the cranks in PC mode next and see what happens. With all this testing I have not done much PC riding lately, and I do not like that so need to add that back
into my trainer training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Congratulations

Merry Christmas

Nah, you the man

Seriously? Are you incapable of following threads?

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
spot wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Congratulations

Merry Christmas

Nah, you the man

Seriously? Are you incapable of following threads?

I guess not, sorry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Did Martis today on locked 150mm cranks. Had the fastest time ever on the course.

Some thoughts. Over the years I have used lots of different cranks lengths. 200's, 175's, 185's. The common result is on a flat course, none of these different

But since most races I do tend to have lots of big hills, I have been chasing, via crank length, how to get the best times. I had always read you must use long stuff

But, with the testing on the Velotron, I seem to have found results that say some of my past assumptions are wrong. Meaning, even in my testing on flat stuff, no matter what
the crank length, my result times are still all pretty close to each other. But in the hills, a huge difference between 125 cranks, and 150's .

Now, if I were in the past, I would have continued to assume well if 150 is good, 200 has to be better. But it seems I also now understand one has to throw in bike fit,
which I had never really added to my thinking. And it seems the shorter cranks has allowed me to get a better aero position, and deal with my knee issue.

Going to try the cranks in PC mode next and see what happens. With all this testing I have not done much PC riding lately, and I do not like that so need to add that back

Dave you need lower gearing to climb hills. You can get lower gearing three ways

1. Bigger rear cluster (cassette)
  2. Small front chain ring
  3. Longer crank arms

Just so you realize your 150mm cranks are 33% harder gearing than your 200mm cranks (200/150 = 1.3333) items 1 to 3 being equal. So you're going faster on your hilly course with harder gearing (assuming your testing does not keep changing out casette and chain rings). So the answer to this 'seems' to be you are going faster due to better fit and PERHAPS better aeordynamics, not because of any magic crank length leverage (you're actually having to apply higher pedal force on the pedal at 150mm cranks to sustain the same crank torque as with 200m at a fixed RPM....and since Power = torque x RPM, you are applying higher pedal force on the 150mm cranks than with 200's assuming of course you are keeping the same power output and getting faster through superior aerodynamics at a fixed RPM.....or you are applying the same pedal force as with 200mm's but your moving at way higher RPM to sustain the same power.

But are you even measuring power on the road, or is it some bogus field test where you don't even control power, forget about controlling wind????

Sorry I have not been on this thread for a while, and maybe with the Xmas lull at work I don't feel bad squandering some time on ST, but it feels like nothing has changed in terms of your understanding of everything Biomcgeek has provided us the foundational knowledge for with countless hours of stringent science based peer reviewed results!!!
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave you need lower gearing to climb hills. You can get lower gearing three ways

3. Longer crank arms

Just so you realize your 150mm cranks are 33% harder gearing than your 200mm cranks (200/150 = 1.3333) items 1 to 3 being equal. So you're going faster on your hilly course with harder gearing (assuming your testing does not keep changing out casette and chain rings). So the answer to this 'seems' to be you are going faster due to better fit and PERHAPS better aeordynamics, not because of any magic crank length leverage (you're actually having to apply higher pedal force on the pedal at 150mm cranks to sustain the same crank torque as with 200m at a fixed RPM....and since Power = torque x RPM, you are applying higher pedal force on the 150mm cranks than with 200's assuming of course you are keeping the same power output and getting faster through superior aerodynamics at a fixed RPM.....or you are applying the same pedal force as with 200mm's but your moving at way higher RPM to sustain the same power.

But are you even measuring power on the road, or is it some bogus field test where you don't even control power, forget about controlling wind????

Sorry I have not been on this thread for a while, and maybe with the Xmas lull at work I don't feel bad squandering some time on ST, but it feels like nothing has changed in terms of your understanding of everything Biomcgeek has provided us the foundational knowledge for with countless hours of stringent science based peer reviewed results!!!

This is why I don't waste my time and the time of the World Class cyclists I coach on chasing the optimal crank length, it's simply not worth it.

http://wattagetraining.com/files/JMartinCrankLengthPedalingTechnique.pdf

Same goes for Gimmickcranks, well performed studies in credible journals highlight their lack of efficacy.

Dollars to donuts your good days are due to the training effect and your bad days are due to long term fatigue.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

3. Longer crank arms

I think I rode on the road once in training last year. (I just see Mike's post and again, for me, say when I do 100% bike training on my trainer).

Since I ride martis sitting up, and on the trainer, there is zero aero stuff.

I know I am pushing harder with focus on Martis now, was not doing that before. With the 200's, my seat was too low, too far forward.

I am having fun trying stuff. Even if at the end of the day everyone can say I told you so, I still have learned a lot, and am having fun in the off season trying new stuff.
I am having fun working with Frank, but boy we cannot talk about politics. :)

So I understand 99% of folks say crank length means nothing. I feel very different bike riding styles with different crank lengths and RPM focus's. Will any of this
end up with better bike times in a race? Is about a month now until my first race. Clearly I am going to try and ride much shorter cranks than folks think I should.
I will listen to what Frank recommends.

There are times in life where all the existing data turns out to be wrong. No way I am saying this is the case here, but ...

I just wish some would engage in looking at what is happening, like you have, rather than the approach of but everyone you are doing is wrong, and the person you are working with is a, ....

Quote Reply

Prev Next