Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to made the 1000th post.

Please, lets continue to try to keep this a civil debate, which means we will all have different opinions.

I always try to remember that other than death and taxes, EVERYTHING basically is an opinion.

If this was not the case, why do so many things go to court since both sides feel 100% they are right?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Please, lets continue to try to keep this a civil debate, which means we will all have different opinions.

I always try to remember that other than death and taxes, EVERYTHING basically is an opinion.

If this was not the case, why do so many things go to court since both sides feel 100% they are right?

Dave,

Certain things are not just a matter of opinion and it's important to point out when an individual is making them out to be what they're not, especially when it's for their own financial gain. Spin doctoring so to speak;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcag, your problem here is you are trying to compare two rides on different days and draw a conclusion. There is simply too much daily variation for this to be a reliable indicator of anything. Except for the first couple of efforts on this course at these new, slower, pedal rates, where he seemed to be getting used to this new way of riding, his times and power show hardly any difference despite markedly different crank lengths. If he were to do this ride and stay in the aero position that wouldn’t be the case.

I like to look at HR and power because that is the only way I know to assess efficiency. It isn’t perfect but I find it useful.

Frank Day

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sciguy wrote: "Sorry but it's you who really don't understand and are unwilling to admit your error. Please feel free to contact them if you'd like a little remedial schooling.

From Denis Loiselle- bold added by me

- Denis Loiselle <ds.loiselle@auckland.ac.nz> wrote: > Dear Hugh > > I infer that you are familiar with our 2005 Review, in general, and its Figure 1, in particular. There is much to be learned from the Figure but, germane to your enquire is the constancy of slope across a wide range of work-loads and individuals ranging in 'cardiovascular fitness' from sedentary folk to endurance athletes. 'Constant slope' implies constant 'cycling efficiency'. That is, a trained athlete can perform work at a higher rate but is subject to the same basic energy-converting limitations - both mechanical and metabolic. In all cases, the efficiency is approximately 20%. > > I have no doubt that your new training technique can produce an increase of power. But I would predict that your result has not changed your cyclists' efficiencies - as the Figure implies. > > Exercise Physiologists selectively turn to either the treadmill or the stationary bicycle ergometer for estimates of efficiency. The reason for this is that walking, running and stationary cycling are LOW SKILL activities. > > Finally, I am moved to state that Appeals to Authority, such as "I'm a doctor, so believe me", have no place in Science. Recall Einstein's response when, upon arriving at work one morning, his secretary informed him that a book had just been published entitled, "One-Hundred Scientists Against Einstein". His reply, 'One would suffice'. > > Yours sincerely, > Denis Loiselle "

and then the reply from: Chris Barclay:

Hi Hugh Let me add to Denis's comments. I think your doctor colleague's argument is founded on the false statement in the first sentence that you quote: there is, in fact, no evidence that human muscle efficiency is 40%! As Denis pointed out and as you seem to know, our best estimates of overall efficiency (i.e. using oxygen cost as an index of energy input) of human muscle are those measured during cycling. In that mode of activity, there can be no power generated by elastic recoil of tendons that had been stretched by the effects of gravity, as there is in running for example. Obviously there is additional energy expenditure by muscles not directly associated with power generation and, as you suggest, there maybe a small component of energy expenditure to overcome resistances of the cycle itself. I think the idea of calculating delta efficiency is to minimise the contributions of these factors to estimates of efficiency. So cycling data suggest that muscle efficiency, excluding resting metabolism, is about 25%. Where might the figure of 40% come from? It most likely is a value taken from frog muscle, the classical muscle preparation. And furthermore, that figure only applies to the conversion of energy from ATP into work thus does not include the energy lost in converting metabolic substrates into ATP. And even that is not strictly correct as the 40% figure used the enthalpy change associated with ATP breakdown as an index of the energy input to the system and this is not the energy from which work can be extracted! A serious issue to understanding efficiency is thus revealed: the energy input term, the denominator of the efficiency formula, can be defined in multiple ways and thus affects the value of efficiency calculated. The 2005 review went to some lengths to clarify the different definitions and to quantify how they are related (and the data in the review are not from "fatigued muscle"!) For your argument, however, I think you can be assured that your cyclists with delta efficiencies of about 25% are as efficient as can be and that there is not some magic formula (e.g. "technique") that will improve efficiency. You probably know the story that beetroot juice can improve efficiency but demonstration of that effect seems to have required very careful subject selection and a number of other research groups have been unable to replicate the effect. I have recently made another attempt to place some limits of likely efficiency values (see page 989 of attached paper) and concluded that the absolute maximum efficiency of muscle lies between 30 and 35%. The only muscle that approaches these values is the very slow tortoise muscle. Most other muscles studied contract faster than tortoise and also have lower efficiency. I would be quite happy with the idea that the maximum efficiency of human muscle is close to 25%. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for clarification of any of these points. Chris Chris Barclay School of Allied Health Sciences Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland 4222 Australia "

So can you actually admit that you're wrong for once Frank?”

LOL. Did you forget to show Denis Loiselle Luttrell who demonstrated an improvement in gross efficiency from 20 to 22% in 6 weeks of training to change pedaling technique using the product that shant be named.

And, my claim of 40% efficiency is what is measured in isolated muscle preps on the bench. Chris states the best measure of muscle efficiency is cycling. Wrong! The best measure of muscle efficiency is isolated muscle testing.

Bring them here and lets have a discussion.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SciGuy wrote: "Certain things are not just a matter of opinion and it's important to point out when an individual is making them out to be what they're not, especially when it's for their own financial gain. Spin doctoring so to speak;)”

True. So, what are you trying to sell Hugh? People who are as involved as you in “disproving" something (not sure what yet) when the data isn’t doing so for them are doing so for a reason. Maybe just trying to keep your image as one of the “smart" guys here at ST. Who knows?

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Certain things are not just a matter of opinion and it's important to point out when an individual is making them out to be what they're not, especially when it's for their own financial gain. Spin doctoring so to speak;)

Hugh

Wow, we are talking about bike fit, etc. and you jump the shark that somehow I started this thread for someone to make money? Wow, just wow

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Hugh

Wow, we are talking about bike fit, etc. and you jump the shark that somehow I started this thread for someone to make money? Wow, just wow

You started this thread to boost your ego and feed your desire to be a contrarian. This is total shit show and you and frank should both be banned. The BS â€request’ to have others come and waste their time to â€discuss’ with frank when he can’t actually legitimately participate on this forum, has to be a new level of BS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Marcag, your problem here is you are trying to compare two rides on different days and draw a conclusion. There is simply too much daily variation for this to be a reliable indicator of anything. Except for the first couple of efforts on this course at these new, slower, pedal rates, where he seemed to be getting used to this new way of riding, his times and power show hardly any difference despite markedly different crank lengths. If he were to do this ride and stay in the aero position that wouldn’t be the case.

I like to look at HR and power because that is the only way I know to assess efficiency. It isn’t perfect but I find it useful.

Frank Day

I don't have a problem because I do not use HR to compare efforts like you do.
Nor do I claim improvements that aren't there. I guess it's your way of selling products and services.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
SciGuy wrote: "Certain things are not just a matter of opinion and it's important to point out when an individual is making them out to be what they're not, especially when it's for their own financial gain. Spin doctoring so to speak;)”

True. So, what are you trying to sell Hugh? People who are as involved as you in “disproving" something (not sure what yet) when the data isn’t doing so for them are doing so for a reason. Maybe just trying to keep your image as one of the “smart" guys here at ST. Who knows?

Frank Day

I give away Truth:) You on the other hand continually attempt to slant things to help sell your product. So you really won't admit you muffed this one. With the prepped frog muscle fibers you reference they looked at efficiency of ATP conversion to muscular work not the efficiency of glucose to muscular work but you know that already because we discussed it years ago. If factored in the losses incurred converting glucose to ATP the frog muscle fibers would have show ~ 24% efficiency so poof there goes you lofty 40% claim. Please just for once admit you're wrong.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Dec 10, 17 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I don't think you started this thread for somebody to make money. I think you're gullible and have such a desire to be a contrarian that you're allowing Frank to use you to promote himself and his product. His name is only relevant around here because you continue to ghost post for him after he has been banned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Frank Day

Why not do a VO2max-type metabolic test with a gas-exchange monitor while monitoring the subject's heart rate and power output? After a couple of runs with that kind of setup you would have a far more relevant basis on which to use HR, at least for that one subject and for a limited time frame, since their fitness level will change with time.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcag wrote: "I don't have a problem because I do not use HR to compare efforts like you do.”

Then how do you compare effort? Power I presume. HR is the best metric shown to correlate with oxygen consumption in any individual. Oxygen consumption is the best metric to compare effort. But, in this instance we are trying to change efficiency so power is a poor metric to compare effort if efficiency changes. What would you propose we do?

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JCTriguy wrote: “… This is total shit show and you and frank should both be banned. …”
How many times have we heard this in this thread. I can only wonder how many emails and messages Dan has received about this. Yet, he allows it to continue. My best guess is Dan is actually learning something so he wants it to continue. Who knows? Woudn’t it be better if you accepted reality and tried to contribute positively rather than complain because you perceive things aren’t going your way (Who knows how the masses perceive this?).

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SciGuy writes: "I give away Truth:) You on the other hand continually attempt to slant things to help sell your product. So you really won't admit you muffed this one. With the prepped frog muscle fibers you reference they looked at efficiency of ATP conversion to muscular work not the efficiency of glucose to muscular work but you know that already because we discussed it years ago. If factored in the losses incurred converting glucose to ATP the frog muscle fibers would have show ~ 24% efficiency so poof there goes you lofty 40% claim. Please just for once admit you're wrong.”

OK, I am ready to learn. Explain to me exactly how a cyclist might get to a gross efficiency of 26% (or 24%, or 22%, or 20%) if the maximum contractile efficiency of skeletal muscle is 24%, especially in view of Figure 4. Remember figure 4.

And, remember, Gross efficiency includes basal metabolic requirements. The math does need to add up. Can you do that for me?

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I don't think you started this thread for somebody to make money. I think you're gullible and have such a desire to be a contrarian that you're allowing Frank to use you to promote himself and his product. His name is only relevant around here because you continue to ghost post for him after he has been banned.

Guess we all have the right to ones opinion

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian Wrote: "Why not do a VO2max-type metabolic test with a gas-exchange monitor while monitoring the subject's heart rate and power output? After a couple of runs with that kind of setup you would have a far more relevant basis on which to use HR, at least for that one subject and for a limited time frame, since their fitness level will change with time.”

Good Idea! I’ll suggest Dave buy and install a gas exchange monitor in his basement so he can satisfy your needs. Then I will tell anyone who asks that it is not possible to test this stuff properly unless they have a gas exchange monitor available.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H2Ofun wrote: "Totally agree.. This is why it is SO cool to have adjustable cranks and being able to test day in and day out with the same setups to see what happens with a change, rather than guessing. I now am interested about how short do I get where I can say I see a negative impact.”

Yep. If you don’t do this you are simply guessing. It won’t be this complicated for most as most do not have the back issues you have. But, we are all different and if you don’t do the testing on yourself then you are guessing as to what is best for you.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun=Frank Day apparently using Dave's login credentials wrote:
I’ll suggest Dave buy and install a gas exchange monitor in his basement so he can satisfy your needs.
You two are the ones that are looking for data, not me. I'm just asking what would be the best kind of data, and the best method. Pretend you had an actual lab at your disposal. What equipment would it have?

h2ofun=Frank Day wrote:
Then I will tell anyone who asks that it is not possible to test this stuff properly unless they have a gas exchange monitor available.

Frank Day
That is part of my question (and not to you specifically but to anyone who is still reading this ... thing). Does the use of a gas-exchange monitor, during either a maximal or submaximal effort on the bike, establish unequivocally what is the relative efficiency of various pedal speeds (at a given power level), based on oxygen uptake and power output?

Because if it is, I think that it should be fairly straightforward to arrange such a test. And, if Dave has as much interest in maximizing his performance as his ownership of four (or six?) Velotrons and multiple fidget cranks would indicate, you or he should be able to find a place and some people that would do the testing in exchange for Velotron time. The last time I was involved with a gas exchange tester, the equipment required was totally portable so it's not like that should be an unsolvable problem.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
h2ofun=Frank Day apparently using Dave's login credentials wrote:
I’ll suggest Dave buy and install a gas exchange monitor in his basement so he can satisfy your needs.

You two are the ones that are looking for data, not me. I'm just asking what would be the best kind of data, and the best method. Pretend you had an actual lab at your disposal. What equipment would it have?

h2ofun=Frank Day wrote:
Then I will tell anyone who asks that it is not possible to test this stuff properly unless they have a gas exchange monitor available.

Frank Day

That is part of my question (and not to you specifically but to anyone who is still reading this ... thing). Does the use of a gas-exchange monitor, during either a maximal or submaximal effort on the bike, establish unequivocally what is the relative efficiency of various pedal speeds (at a given power level), based on oxygen uptake and power output?

Because if it is, I think that it should be fairly straightforward to arrange such a test. And, if Dave has as much interest in maximizing his performance as his ownership of four (or six?) Velotrons and multiple fidget cranks would indicate, you or he should be able to find a place and some people that would do the testing in exchange for Velotron time. The last time I was involved with a gas exchange tester, the equipment required was totally portable so it's not like that should be an unsolvable problem.

I am game

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote: "That is part of my question (and not to you specifically but to anyone who is still reading this ... thing). Does the use of a gas-exchange monitor, during either a maximal or submaximal effort on the bike, establish unequivocally what is the relative efficiency of various pedal speeds (at a given power level), based on oxygen uptake and power output?”

If I were a researcher I would do one of two things from this.

1. I would try to replicate this experiment to see if, in fact, adjusting pedal speed can result in documented efficiency improvement and power increases.
2. I would try to document that HR can be reliably used as a proxy for oxygen consumption in any individual so that anyone can do this experiment at home.

Frank Day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
If I were a researcher
Frank Day

.... nailed shut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

1. I would try to replicate this experiment to see if, in fact, adjusting pedal speed can result in documented efficiency improvement and power increases.
2. I would try to document that HR can be reliably used as a proxy for oxygen consumption in any individual so that anyone can do this experiment at home.

Frank Day

Overhere in the Netherlands you have the option to go to a Sports Medicine Centre to get this kind of sutff sorted out. you can even do combined tests with cycling and running, with a both a electrocardiogram and gasanalysis during the acitvity. I guess it would be nice to see what these tests would give as a result. You can do them with your own bike, so you can use adjustable cranks. Also, you directly get to see the impact on runnig directly after the bike. Would sets you back about 300 euro's.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wilbert wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Frank Day

Overhere in the Netherlands you have the option to go to a Sports Medicine Centre to get this kind of sutff sorted out. you can even do combined tests with cycling and running, with a both a electrocardiogram and gasanalysis during the acitvity. I guess it would be nice to see what these tests would give as a result. You can do them with your own bike, so you can use adjustable cranks. Also, you directly get to see the impact on runnig directly after the bike. Would sets you back about 300 euro's.

That would be fun to see that type of data

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

To commemorate this momentous milestone, I thought I'd go back and have a look at just how one-sided this "debate" has been:

I, for one, would like to congratulate Dave on such a phenomenal and sustained effort in making this thread one of the greatest Slowtwitch trolling efforts of all time.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

To commemorate this momentous milestone, I thought I'd go back and have a look at just how one-sided this "debate" has been:

I, for one, would like to congratulate Dave on such a phenomenal and sustained effort in making this thread one of the greatest Slowtwitch trolling efforts of all time.

Can you go back and give us a bar chart with the percentage of Dave's post per percentile, i.e. in the first 10% of posts 60% were his, the 2nd 10% 55%, etc? I think that would be helpful.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next